GTRRL|SuperGT Challenge Series Sign Ups Open! Rd 5 Suzuka Aug. 25th

• Thread starter DragonGT83
  • 3,546 comments
All right here is the official announcement on the preseason race. It is going to be this Saturday at 7ET (Our normal race time for this series). It will be at Indy Road, the site of the first circuit on the schedule.

We are going to try to treat this event as if it was the official race. Given this we are going to qualifying the way we will do it all season (see the OP for details on that). This will give everyone a 'practice week' to get ready for how the GTRRL does things. Qualifying for the mock race will be open starting right now going all the way to 12 hours before the race starts.

The chart below will be the an example of how we will record the results. This will be updated as the week goes forth and when a new page is made I will quote this post

Current Qualifying Results:
D8859485_66955821_49291

It is possible we may offer the winner of these races a lock in spot into Room A for the first race of the season. Stay tuned on that info. Any questions just let us know.

To qualify you can either PM a steward here on GTPlanet, post a post on here with a public room number for a steward to join, or if you are friends on PSN with a steward you can PM them on there. Below is the list of Stewards that can qualify you (as of now)

GTPlanet name (PSN name)

- XxShaggxX (Xx-Shagg-xX)
- DragonGT83 (same)
- KingBestJr (same)
- gtpanoz (panoz38)
- Infernothefox (InfernoTheFox)

As we get closer to the beginning of the season we will probably add a few more. Note that Stewards must qualify with other Stewards

Also to those who are on the fence about which class to run, you are allowed to run a qualifying attempt for both classes then choose one to race in for this mock race. You can use this mock race week as an opportunity to choose which class you want to run.

Reposting so it doesnt get lost

Would also like to add immortal Killa and any other new guys to add me on Psn kingbestjr

So should I friend you all on PSN? Only just got a PS3 so still working this stuff out!

Also got in to the 1'33.xxx in the Lexus which is very satisfying (as long as you set the ball park time on soft tyres). Need to get the consistency up though:

Last edited:
So should I friend you all on PSN? Only just got a PS3 so still working this stuff out! :crazy:

Also got in to the 1'33.xxx in the Lexus which is very satisfying (as long as you set the ball park time on soft tyres). Need to get the consistency up though:yuck:

Medium tires bud. Every session we do is on medium. Still only a 2 second drop off between tires so your still not to far away

XxShaggxX
Just did a little bit of running at Indy GP (GT300 class). Ran mostly 1.33s. Given my not so fondness of Indy Road Id imagine the pole time may be a low 1.33 or even a high 1.32? Ive seen most people running between a 1.33-1.36 so if your in that time range your competing atleast with someone.

About to do 500s.

EDIT:

Ran some 500s also. Running consistent 1.28.7-.9 but i could see a low 1.28 out there (or more ;)) for sure. Havent really seen anyone else run tho so I don't know the time integrals for the field. We will know all of this as the week goes on with qualifying

I am off a bit in 500s I can run low 1.30s but that's still almost two seconds off. Guess I will practice more.

Mr.Tim-Tim
I am off a bit in 500s I can run low 1.30s but that's still almost two seconds off. Guess I will practice more.

Honestly I feel you on the right track. I think the majority will be in the 29s

phil bell
Annnnd Im in the 31's. :nervous: But the car needs setup work.
Can you guys help give some pointers please? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLNlvztJI0

Dont brake so early in the first corner. Im braking while im still at the apex. Sector 2 turn 1 is taken flat. The double hairpin corners can be taken a little faster. Look to get around 40mph through the first hairpin but keep the same line...

Can you guys help give some pointers please? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLNlvztJI0

Your very nice and smooth but try to be a lot more aggressive. In the first corner with the tire wall come in there harder. For 500s I start fulling braking slightly before the 100m sign. You should do it where you can still be slightly braking as your going around the tire wall. Then jump fulling into the throttle then roll off for a split time then hard back on it. Same for the next corner, use a lil brake to get the car on the bottom then back on the gas hard.

It's hard to do but for qualifying the faster you get back to the gas the better. If you want ill get my cam today and show you :)

Also two have qualified, tables updated

The two times posted are good ideas of what the pole time would be. I know they didn't practice too much cause they have GTA Finals this weekend but they still ran a time.

That's a relief, at least I won't be slower than a GT300, but still a good 3s off pole GT500 :(.

Also, is closing the door acceptable Nico Rosberg style? E.g. If I see someone has a run on me, am I allowed to put my car up to the white line he is attempting to go for (so long as he hasn't put his front end in front of my rear?

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWhombBltrI

Last edited:
That's a relief, at least I won't be slower than a GT300, but still a good 3s off pole GT500 :(.

Also, is closing the door acceptable Nico Rosberg style? E.g. If I see someone has a run on me, am I allowed to put my car up to the white line he is attempting to go for (so long as he hasn't put his front end in front of my rear?

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWhombBltrI

Protecting your line is acceptable. So if you stay down near the bottom to protect the inside that's fine. If it hooks fenders or results in any contact then that is on the driver blocking

Thanks for the tips guys, I kind get what you mean, it did feel conservative. Wasnt confident with brakes yet. For S2 turn 1 I'll try to turn in earlier as well so it can be flat.

Thanks for the tips guys, I kind get what you mean, it did feel conservative. Wasnt confident with brakes yet. For S2 turn 1 I'll try to turn in earlier as well so it can be flat.

Do you use a DS3?

If you do I definitely recommend you turn your sensitivity up to 7. That is the setting that gets you the closest feeling to a wheel. It may feel like a handful at first but you can turn into corners and have better turning radius. I used a controller for a while and that's the fastest way to go with a controller (IMO)

I can't use a controller to save my life anymore :lol: The push you see is because if I turned the wheel anymore the front just squeals for mercy. Car does give good feedback though.

phil bell
I can't use a controller to save my life anymore :lol: The push you see is because if I turned the wheel anymore the front just squeals for mercy. Car does give good feedback though.

Ok cool! Visually it looked like controller. When I post video ill include some base suspension tuning as well

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while so I thought I'd say when I'm able to qualify. I have shagg added right now so if your available some time tomorrow that would be great. I am going to practice tonight.

IMO at Indy road, the first sector is pretty simple and is the sector you'll lose the least amount of time besides the last sector(4 sectors in total here). The second sector with the long left hander to the right hander is key to hit the optimum line and come out of that right hander the best you can for the straight leading to the S turns. Then you got the S turns where you want to get you car rotated just right and hit your apex's the best and fast you can.

Biggest pointer I could give to you is never be satisfied with your best lap. Keep practicing and you'll find where you can knock of tenths in each sector etc. Never give up on it. You'll find turns where if you take a slightly slower approach in you'll come out alot faster especially if you have a long straight ahead make for better speed down long straights and better lap times.

I found adjusting my brake bias gave me a full second faster lap than what I was getting before. Real small set up changes and learning the lines really get the lap times down. Today I've found about 1.5s compared to before silverstone weekend

I found adjusting my brake bias gave me a full second faster lap than what I was getting before. Real small set up changes and learning the lines really get the lap times down. Today I've found about 1.5s compared to before silverstone weekend

Nice job. Im doing some laps now and will post a video of a decent lap around the track

Heres a video of a 1.28.7. I also ran a qualifying lap before this video was posted which is in the qualifying table. Sorry about the poop quality on the video. Hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjJDPE-GJ2w

Last edited:
phil bell
That's very late braking, I could never brake like that without the anti-lock.

For that session I ran my brakes at 2 and 6 with Abs on 1

Also as you get closer roll out of the brake as you get to the corner. That will take away from the lock up

Last edited:
harrison1476
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while so I thought I'd say when I'm able to qualify. I have shagg added right now so if your available some time tomorrow that would be great. I am going to practice tonight.

Reposting for shagg. Don't think u saw this.

That's very late braking, I could never brake like that without the anti-lock.

You got ABS on 1 or no? also with these cars(depending on your tune) doesn't hurt to throw TCS at 1. I know alot of GT class cars nowadays have TCS ready to turn on and off with a switch, some racers like it some don't. I know in that video shagg had TCS ABS at 1.

It's just the last corner (not the banked one) that I ant seem to do right now :(. Have a terrible exit which means I have a low speed down the straight which leads to losing time in the first sector. So frustrating.

Back