Head Tracking Confirmed for GT5!!!

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 392 comments
No new details about head tracking at all so far. I dont think he even mentioned it in the press conference. A lot of motion stuff is set to come out in March. I wonder if head tracking played any part in release date?

No new details about head tracking at all so far. I dont think he even mentioned it in the press conference. A lot of motion stuff is set to come out in March. I wonder if head tracking played any part in release date?

That crossed my mind too, along with 3D glasses.

Oh I hope not... that's the kind of thing that would really urk me... if it turns out something like "we could have released in december but waited till march for some cool photo mode stuff and head tracking"... :crazy:

Oh I'm just using my imagination, headtracking+3d glasses+multiscreen setup+wheel = OMFG!!!

My credit card after buying all that = OMGWTFBBQZORS!!! :lol:

Ah, there is that. But if you have a couple of mates with PS3s and decent screens it might not be much to get that set up now and again.

Had another thought though, in the trackIR thing there is side to side tracking keeping the view looking straight ahead which although it wouldn't let you turn to look out the side windows it would let you view the mirrors, I could maybe see something like that working.

Maybe we are thinking of different things?

As I said before yes you can do the judgement based on vision alone, but without the momentum, you must rely muc more on visual queues such as relationship between two objects (notice the hood and center line are not in teh same relation to the road in one of the pictures).

I've just thought (I hope) of a better way to explain what I mean.

You know you get headrests with a square hole through them, imagine that but the hole is the size of a TV and moved forward a bit with you sitting behind it and all you can see is through that hole, you can change the position of your head relative to the hole and look through at different angles but all the visual cues still point to travelling in the one direction, even if you position yourself to look through the hole and out a side window. That's in reality, and is the effect given by Johnny Lee's headtracking and if you want to do something like look in the mirrors or round a bend then it's quite natural to move your head to a position to do that as it's what you would do in reality.

However, usually in reality you wouldn't be looking through a hole to race but then again you wouldn't be sitting on a sofa in front of a tv.

Last edited:
I've just thought (I hope) of a better way to explain what I mean.

You know you get headrests with a square hole through them, imagine that but the hole is the size of a TV and moved forward a bit with you sitting behind it and all you can see is through that hole, you can change the position of your head relative to the hole and look through at different angles but all the visual cues still point to travelling in the one direction, even if you position yourself to look through the hole and out a side window. That's in reality, and is the effect given by Johnny Lee's headtracking and if you want to do something like look in the mirrors or round a bend then it's quite natural to move your head to a position to do that as it's what you would do in reality.

However, usually in reality you wouldn't be looking through a hole to race but then again you wouldn't be sitting on a sofa in front of a tv.

I see what you are saying and I agree the visual cues will be in one direction, but do the thing where you use the right stick, move the view around, do this while going around a turn. All the visual cues still say the direction the car is going, but your brain has to adjust to the new angle, and without momentum to help, it takes a second of watching what happens to get a good feel on the direction you are now going. Do that dynamically and it gets hard, essentially building a lag into your physical response as you try to steer. Try it with the right stick TRACKIR method, the wii tracking method is no where near as dissoreienting but you will see what I am saying abuot the fact that your eyes depend heavily on static fallbacks to judge change in direction.

BTW another thing to think about, I know when I play with a wheel, I tend to lean pretty heavily into curves. I mean my body actually leans, I don't know if that's just me, but if you turn left and lean left (as I do) that's going to result in seeing less of the upcoming turn as your view will shift to show you more of the right side of the road.

Watch johnny lees video, imagine on screen is a curve going to the left, when he leans left, the apex and distant parts of that curve will go off the left side of the screen.

I see what you are saying and I agree the visual cues will be in one direction, but do the thing where you use the right stick, move the view around, do this while going around a turn. All the visual cues still say the direction the car is going, but your brain has to adjust to the new angle, and without momentum to help, it takes a second of watching what happens to get a good feel on the direction you are now going. Do that dynamically and it gets hard, essentially building a lag into your physical response as you try to steer. Try it with the right stick TRACKIR method, the wii tracking method is no where near as dissoreienting but you will see what I am saying abuot the fact that your eyes depend heavily on static fallbacks to judge change in direction.

BTW another thing to think about, I know when I play with a wheel, I tend to lean pretty heavily into curves. I mean my body actually leans, I don't know if that's just me, but if you turn left and lean left (as I do) that's going to result in seeing less of the upcoming turn as your view will shift to show you more of the right side of the road.

Watch johnny lees video, imagine on screen is a curve going to the left, when he leans left, the apex and distant parts of that curve will go off the left side of the screen.

A couple of problems with trying to simulate the effect like that, actually getting the correct amount of movement of the stick and your head together will be impossible, the visual cues wont match up even if you could, if you move your head while driving (in reality) you'll be able to see different parts of the dash through the steering wheel depending on your position(just an example but the whole scene behaves like that) and that won't happen just by turning the camera so the visual cues your brain expects don't match with what you're seeing. Another point is that for the effect to work properly the geometry calculations for a normal game camera won't do, new geometry code will be needed.

I get what you're saying about leaning into corners though.

A couple of problems with trying to simulate the effect like that, actually getting the correct amount of movement of the stick and your head together will be impossible, the visual cues wont match up even if you could, if you move your head while driving (in reality) you'll be able to see different parts of the dash through the steering wheel depending on your position(just an example but the whole scene behaves like that) and that won't happen just by turning the camera so the visual cues your brain expects don't match with what you're seeing. Another point is that for the effect to work properly the geometry calculations for a normal game camera won't do, new geometry code will be needed.

I get what you're saying about leaning into corners though.

Right, getting it perfect with a stick is pretty much impossible, but give it a try and you will quickly get a feeling for what I am saying going through turns and trying to keep control when angles on screen are changing like that. I am not even saying try to move your head, just rotate the camera while driving through a corner... just the fact that things are relatively differnet angles messes it up pretty fast.

As I said, it's not perfect, but the effect I am trying to convey to you can't really be done in words without having experienced it first hand... once you do experience it, I think you will quickly realize how loss of static focus in general makes it harder to maintain control.

I know this is old news, but i stumbled over this article today..

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/games/g/gran-turismo-5/gt5-damage-shown-off-limited-racing-cars-$1319730.htm

"The cockpit camera will be fully controllable by the player and the player's head can even be tracked by the PlayStation Eye. Yes, you read that right. Your head movements will be recreated on-screen in cock-pit view."

Do you think this will be in the final product?

Yes, its confirmed in almost all interviews.

I'm not spending money in that weird little camera, so I don't really care.

The camera doesn`t just track the position of your head, it also tracks the angle of your head.

The effect of you twisting your head left will twist the in-game camera left. The effect is usually exaggerated to allow you to look all the way behind you with the in-game camera without having to turn your head so far you can no longer see the screen. The advantage over an analogue stick doing this is you always have your body as a centre reference. The same way you can walk forward and check out the cute redhead's bum as she walks by. Doing the same with analogue sticks in a first person shooter is really tricky.

I`m looking back through the thread at Devedander`s drawings. In the first he`s looking straight. In the second he is leaning left and has his head turned right looking back over the bonnet. Jump in a first person shooter. Strafe left, everything moves right including things on the horizon (just much slower). To strafe left and make stuff move left on your screen you have to push your right analogue stick right (essentially turning your head right.)

There are heaps of Youtube videos showing this working with the TrackIR and racing games. There are those that have used it and don`t like it, but there are also those who use it and swear by it. Reminds me a bit of people`s swinging opinions on 3D. I`d post some, but my internet quota`s shot.

Last edited:
Head tracking and 3D is a very real possibility for GT5 or GT6

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/tech-interview-playstation-3d-interview?page=3

Eurogamer: There's a lot of emerging technology in Sony. We've seen Polyphony discuss head-tracking within Gran Turismo 5. How difficult would it be to marry the stereoscopic tech you have here with the ability to track head movement and literally look around the scene on-screen?

Ian Bickerstaff: Before I was mentioning virtual reality "caves" and that's exactly how they work. It's typically 120Hz shutter glasses with a head-tracking system and a 120Hz projection screen that you can move around and it's constantly adjusting the image based on your viewing position.

From a viewing point of view you don't notice that you're in a cube at all. It's constantly recalculating the perspective. So that's been done for many, many years now and it's something we've been familiar with in the simulation industry. It's almost bread and butter really. We can't comment on future R&D but you could imagine the way it could go.

Eurogamer: So you're not going to comment on future R&D but using the motion controller as well is a no-brainer, isn't it?

Simon Benson: The idea of stereoscopic 3D marrying up with the motion controller is a bit of a no-brainer, and you can certainly see applications there that open up plenty of opportunities for gameplay. There are lots of other things we can achieve too. We're just at the tip of the iceberg with what 3D is going to enable. Once the technology's out there, it'll be interesting to see the things that follow.

Ian Bickerstaff: Anything that's out there in the simulation or visualisation industry that's sort of cool and you can imagine the public liking, then you can imagine that rippling through to the public at some point in the future.

So, a question. I'm not really up to date with all the latest news, but I guess my question is legitimate... I realize there might not be an answer for this.

So, for head tracking, will we need ONLY the PS Eye or will we actually need both the PS Eye and the PS Move controller? I find it pretty hard to picture how such a feature would work with the Move... Strap the Move to our forehead? no thanks.

I'm very excited about head tracking and I wish it will be implemented in a refined way. :)

So, for head tracking, will we need ONLY the PS Eye or will we actually need both the PS Eye and the PS Move controller? I find it pretty hard to picture how such a feature would work with the Move... Strap the Move to our forehead? no thanks.
Of course you'll just need the PSEye. I believe the camera will recognize your face so it can track it and translate the movements in-game.

I bought an Eye last month just for GT5 , but if its not that well implemented ive always got a home movie maker (if you know what I Mean.....!!) .......................... 🤬:embarrassed::cheers:

I guess the "Move" controller is a good substitute for Dualshock controller user. Instead of taking the Dualshock controller, gamers can take the move controller like a virtual wheel turning left or right and then press the buttons on the "Move" for going forward and braking. That's just my wild guess.

This is how it works on the pc. Except that the ps eye has the ability to recognize your face. So, theoretically you shouldn't have to wear anything on your head...thank god.

[YOUTUBEHD]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AO0F5sLdVM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AO0F5sLdVM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEHD]

Back