Head Tracking Confirmed for GT5!!!

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 392 comments
Of course you'll just need the PSEye. I believe the camera will recognize your face so it can track it and translate the movements in-game.

Hold up its not been confirmed yet if just eye is needed.

Headtracking was announced as being supported in the game even before we knew of "Move" The question is will headtracking use "Face Detecion" in the "PS3 Eye" or "Orb Detection" from "Move"?

Perhaps GT5 will use both "Face Detection" and "Orb Detection" ?
Im a bit concerned myself over it...

Questions:
How will "Face Detection" work with users wearing "3D Glasses"?
BBC reported in a video from a developer that "Move & 3DTV" would be supported together in upcoming games. As yet none of the games demeonstrated at GDC have shown both together working but none of those games seemd to use "Face Detection". GT5 is currently the only announced game to support both these forms of hardware. So will "Orb" be used for detection than actual face detection?

A problem that leaves is will headtracking be limited to "Move" users only?

1: Face detection via PS3 eye has less precision, issues with limited room lighting and how will it work with 3DTV glasses?

2: Move using the coloured LED "Orb" has more precision, ensures GT5 players if wanting "headtracking" will have to purchase "Move Controller = Sales" and wont have issues in dark rooms. It does however not bode well for "Wheel" users if it is the chosen method for detection.

I hope both "Face" for wheel users and "Orb" detection is possible.

Last edited:
How will "Face Detection" work with users wearing "3D Glasses"?
BBC reported in a video from a developer that "Move & 3DTV" would be supported together which points to "Orb" being used for detection than actual face detection.

A problem that leaves is will headtracking be limited to "Move" users only?

Looks like you'll only be able to play GT5 using all options looking like a cyborg....

No, no, no! I want the smell of the car and the gas as well as the feeling of being hit! Delay it!

Introducing the new Sony Sniff..........

40897431_8879335_thumbnail.jpg

To go alongside with the new Sony Help....

FirstAidKit.jpg

Too much head and upper body movement required.đź‘Ž

It's come long way since that.

it's showing AR but it still headtracking.Obviously you can tune the effect,lets say 5 degrees left and right would translate to 90 in game.
I'd really love to see GT5 with headtracking and in 3D across 3 screens :) i'm sure it would be mind blowing

Last edited:
It's come long way since that.

it's showing AR but it still headtracking.Obviously you can tune the effect,lets say 5 degrees left and right would translate to 90 in game.
I'd really love to see GT5 with headtracking and in 3D across 3 screens :) i'm sure it would be mind blowing

Damn Sony is effing smart. And for the ones wondering (I don't know why) about face detection and Glasses. But in the video on the bottom of the face detection list it showes if the patient is wearing glasses, female, pregnant....

That is crazy...

Can you explain why you gave up in relation to the quote,were I didn't mention GT5.

"it's showing AR but it still headtracking.Obviously you can tune the effect,lets say 5 degrees left and right would translate to 90 in game."

The augmented reality is using head and face tracking.And like track ir,if it was used in a game,you could tune how much head input it takes to adjust the in game camera.

Last edited:
...."it's showing AR but it still headtracking.Obviously you can tune the effect,lets say 5 degrees left and right would translate to 90 in game."

The augmented reality is using head and face tracking.And like track ir,if it was used in a game,you could tune how much head input it takes to adjust the in game camera.

Yes, it appears that this has come farther. If the recognition software can determine when your eyes blink, which is what I think I was seeing, I'm sure it could be tuned to (perhaps???) follow your eye's line of sight. Which would be superbly effective in a driving game, even with only one screen. Obviously, the larger your screen or quantity of screens would benefit this tech.

This is the type of peripheral I was expecting, yet at the same time skeptical, that would be in the near future to gaming and 3D interfaces. I wonder if it is "there" yet, but it is still impressive and I can foresee this as useful and standard someday (soon?). đź‘Ť

Yes, it appears that this has come farther. If the recognition software can determine when your eyes blink, which is what I think I was seeing, I'm sure it could be tuned to (perhaps???) follow your eye's line of sight. Which would be superbly effective in a driving game, even with only one screen. Obviously, the larger your screen or quantity of screens would benefit this tech.

This is the type of peripheral I was expecting, yet at the same time skeptical, that would be in the near future to gaming and 3D interfaces. I wonder if it is "there" yet, but it is still impressive and I can foresee this as useful and standard someday (soon?). đź‘Ť

I think you are making a bit of a stretch there... detecting blinking is pretty far from detecting line of site.

Currently accurate eye tracking is usually done via bouncing lasers off the cornea. If you wantch someone playing a game, on all but the hugest TVs the difference in location of the pupil from one side of the screen to the other is barely perceptable let alone accurately.

Then you have to factor in what would you do with that information? Rotate the view in car? That would be horrible becuase unlike full head tracking (where you can at least point your eyes at the TV while your head turns) eye tracking would reauire you actually look off center just to change the camera angle on screen.

Then there is the compounded issue that most people don't think of which I think of as the "wii" effect. How great would it be to point at a spot on the screen in an FPS and have your guy aim there!

But it doesnt work well when you realize this is accomplished by scrolling the whole screen. Look at the top left and if the screen scrolls, the thing you wante to see is now at the middle of the screen... it's highly inefficient and cumbersome.

Yes, of course (facepalm) having the screen move about based on your 'line of sight' would be problematic, if not ridiculous. I didn't think that all the way through. But if the tech can detect something as quick and small as your eyelids, then it could detect slight movements in your heads profile and face movements and translate that into a predetermined allowance of screen movement for adjusted FOV. That was my basic deduction. Alas the screen could not and should not follow your movements at free will, that would only make everyone ill and so on.

I thought somebody explained it here already, but wouldn't it work best in a racing game if the "in-game head turning" would only happen in sideways, not up / down. You rarely need to look down or up when racing. So this obviously gives the possibility that the in-game head turning can be made by not turning your head but tilting it to an angle. This way your eyesight always remains straight and the movement most probably also feels more natural as you might do that to overcome the G-forces in a real car anyway.. ??

Yes, of course (facepalm) having the screen move about based on your 'line of sight' would be problematic, if not ridiculous. I didn't think that all the way through. But if the tech can detect something as quick and small as your eyelids, then it could detect slight movements in your heads profile and face movements and translate that into a predetermined allowance of screen movement for adjusted FOV. That was my basic deduction. Alas the screen could not and should not follow your movements at free will, that would only make everyone ill and so on.

Detecting blinking is more a matter of high speed image capture than it is detailed capture.

Blinking causes a fairly noteable color change in two reasonably large areas of the face usually simultaneously.

Assuming your camera can get enough fps to monitor such a fast action, it's a fairly gross detail to detect.

Slight adjustments in head orientation and angle are a little harder due to the fact that the shift is virtulaly imperceptable in many cases until the movement is somewhat pronounced. It's not like when two chunks of your face goes from white with a dark center to pinkish and back simultaneously in terms of ease of detection.

There is also the fact that using head tracking in a method that amplifies movement (ie turn your head 5 degrees screen rotates 90 degrees) can be very intrusive and introduce a lot of neck fatigue. You have to conciously hold perfectly still lest the screen start swinging around on you. And because there is no physical feedback from the movement (ie you dont feel resistance like pushing against a an analogue stick or trigger) it becuase a constant flexing of the neck muscles to hold your head still.

There is also the fact that using head tracking in a method that amplifies movement (ie turn your head 5 degrees screen rotates 90 degrees) can be very intrusive and introduce a lot of neck fatigue. You have to conciously hold perfectly still lest the screen start swinging around on you. And because there is no physical feedback from the movement (ie you dont feel resistance like pushing against a an analogue stick or trigger) it becuase a constant flexing of the neck muscles to hold your head still.

Who said head tracking is constantly on? Common sense tells me you still have to hold a button (L1?) before head tracking is engaged.

I would believe it's on all the time, but the effect has a kind of "deadzone" (to prevent the neck fatigue) and from the dead zone (very minimal of course) the movement starts progressively, but so that soon after coming from the deadzone it'd still feel "linear" (hard to explain :) ) Makes sense? That's the way I'd do it anyway.. :lol: (not that it would mean anything.. I'm not an expert ;) )

who cares it wont make the car any faster .. just another gimmick to make you spend ÂŁÂŁ on an eye toy ( cynical ol' me ehhh !! )

who cares it wont make the car any faster .. just another gimmick to make you spend ÂŁÂŁ on an eye toy ( cynical ol' me ehhh !! )

Heastracking is a great feature for immesion and clean racing, many of us who use it for pc sims now can't go back. Overtaking and defense is more precise, so yes, it can make you faster. It's that good.

And nobody's twisting your arm to use itl ;)

Who said head tracking is constantly on? Common sense tells me you still have to hold a button (L1?) before head tracking is engaged.

I am basing it on experience with existing head tracking systems already out there and the fact that pressing a button on a wheel while driving and shifting to turn on head tracking seems cumbersome to say the least.

A deadzone in tracking response sounds good but I think in practice it doesn't work so well. When I used head tracking the distance you could really turn your head and still look at the screen was pretty small, giving up enough of that to gain back some freedom of head movement would eat up quite a bit of it leaving you not much fine control with the rest of your available movement.

Back