Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
You may want to grab some of those before you find yourself with soiled plugs, or worse, burning more oil then gas.

That's one of the problems with my cousin's CRX. We took of the valve cover because it was leaking oil, we wanted to check the valvetrain condition, and we wanted to strip it of paint. We knew we'd need a new gasket, so we went over to the parts store and bought one. Then we realized that the sparkplug gaskets weren't included and it still leaks a little into the plug tubes.

Damn, that engine runs like **** and we've not done enough research to be ready for engine work.

It runs. I even drove it around the block.

That said, many problems. Its burning coolant at this point. There was a little on the pistons and the head hasn't been torqued down yet so we're not sure on that. Its using a lot though. We forgot to place the valve cover gasket on so oil leaked over everything. I was doing something else when he placed the valve cover on so that ones not on me. There is also a broken mount somewhere as when you place it in gear in jerks. While taking off the valve cover to place the gasket on I pulled a spark plug wire apart. The parts store wouldn't sell me just one wire so I had to buy 4 new ones. I can also tell that the timing belt needs to be replaced. The battery fuse was blown but we just rigged it to get it to work for now. The brakes need work as well, and it needs a new muffler. I was thinking about having a cat back made eventually.

Oddly enough even after having the head off for so long and not being at tdc, the timing seems to be on... I only had to place the timing belt on. Its a bit loose on one side but the other side is tight so I think its just cause its an old one.

The power steering works good, and the power windows and power locks work. All lights seem to work as well I thought it needed a new headlight. The ac system was taken apart so I dunno about that. I'm thinking of taking it out.

All that said the fuel pump in my hatch has decided it didn't want to work now. Jealous no doubt...

Before

picture006ah8.jpg

picture022kk0.jpg

Now...

picture048qy4.jpg

Old bumper sticker read "if god isn't a penn state fan, why is the sky blue and white?..." I like this one a lot more...

picture034qv7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAvv1XslDI

Good to know you got it running, Very lucky you got it running.. lol. Not many cars are going to start after sitting for prolonged amounts of time in pieces.

Do any of you know if there's any difference in the head design--cams, valves, etc. aside--of my B16A2 and the B18C and C1? I realize the Type R and GSR probably have different cams and valves than mine, but is the design of the head itself the same? Also, did honda give the heads codes like engines and transmissions?

Well, besides a dead battery, no cat-back exhaust, and a throttle cable mount... my car is running. ;)

Oh yeah, and I've driven it too. Quite exhilarating. :)

@Keef - The design is pretty much the same, infact, it might actually be a direct bolt on with little to no work needed (I've heard its an easy swap, I just don't know how easy).

@Toyomatt84 - No cat back?! Does that mean no performance cat back, or no cat back in general? Because I can only assume that a K24 with open headers would be LOUD and that your neighbours must hate you. Glad to hear you finally got to take it for a drive though, which brings us to the question: So hows the butt dyno rate the engine swap? Worth it?

@Toyomatt84 - No cat back?! Does that mean no performance cat back, or no cat back in general? Because I can only assume that a K24 with open headers would be LOUD and that your neighbours must hate you. Glad to hear you finally got to take it for a drive though, which brings us to the question: So hows the butt dyno rate the engine swap? Worth it?

Yeah, I just haven't picked up my exhaust for it yet. That'll happen Monday. ;)

Is it loud? Yes, for the most part. If you're idling, it's not all that bad.

^^ Is the sky blue?

Not always, atleast not here. I'm not sure how it is in Aussieland, but up here in Canada, we have this thing called "clouds" and "sunsets". :lol:

I mean is the cost/time per performance worth the engine swap, or would forced induction be a better route? Just wondering what his opinion is on the matter after performing his swap.

@Toyomatt84 - Are you staying with the stock muffler, or going aftermarket? If so, what style did ya choose? I always talked about this swap with my friend for his 01 Civic Si (American EX) before he traded it in for his '04 Maxima SE (see avatar) and can't wait to see the pictures. 👍

Sounds like that car's gonna be a killer! Now you just need an LSD if you're actually going to use it on the dragstrip.

@Toyomatt84 - Are you staying with the stock muffler, or going aftermarket? If so, what style did ya choose? I always talked about this swap with my friend for his 01 Civic Si (American EX) before he traded it in for his '04 Maxima SE (see avatar) and can't wait to see the pictures. 👍

2005 RSX-S exhaust (stock).

Sounds like that car's gonna be a killer! Now you just need an LSD if you're actually going to use it on the dragstrip.
Which he isn't.

Although I think they have some sort of lsd stock.

Yeah, I'm not dragging the car. I find drag racing boring, to be honest, since it's not a real test of driver skill at all.

And, no, the K20A2 transmission didn't come with an LSD.

I'm not even sure what sort of driver you are, Matt. Are you more of a meet/show/cruisin' with the chicks kinda guy, or maybe an average driver but you get out in the curves every now and then? Do you ever mess with people on the street, whether it be racing or just annoying other drivers? Or do you take every chance you get to tear it up through some corners, like I do?

I'm not even sure what sort of driver you are, Matt. Are you more of a meet/show/cruisin' with the chicks kinda guy, or maybe an average driver but you get out in the curves every now and then? Do you ever mess with people on the street, whether it be racing or just annoying other drivers? Or do you take every chance you get to tear it up through some corners, like I do?

I love apex'ing corners. So, that's why I have a ridiculously overkill suspension. ;)

I just wanted more torque for the uphill sections of the roads I like to run. They're the "Rustic Roads" of Wisconsin. Very hilly with multiple tight turns, making a well-balanced car a must, for performance. I usually go on Saturday's, seeing as it's usually the least popular day for the weekends.

Is that as quick as you can shift? C'mon, it's a Honda! :lol:

Matt, 👍. Corners make me happy. On Wednesday I'm leaving for a trip to The Dragon, any other road that calls my name, and Gatlinburg. That'll be a good time for me and three friends.

But speaking of nice looking cars, I saw this today:

Phone pic. The guy said he'd just got done washing and waxing it. I thought it was looking pretty badass, myself. :sly:

Guy's I just took a few more parts off of my intake pipe. I had already taken off the massive gallon-jug resonator and all its pipes in front of the airbox, but this time I took off the rubber grommet just underneath the airbox, right on top the hole in the fender; a piece inside the airbox that annoyed me, and the U-shaped thing coming out the bottom of the pipe, near the throttle body. I plugged the hole with a cap from a Minute Made orange juice bottle. I made sure it wasnt getting sucked in.

It's louder. Though loud isn't necessarily good, loud is always good.

I almost had an intake manifold from an EX, but my uncle didn't want to let it go, being the only one he had.

That would also help out. I don't think the d16y7 itself is a bad engine, but looking at it you can see how bottled up it is.

Back