Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
SRV2LOW4ME
On the topic of gas mileage though, I once got 500 km to a tank of gas once. It was a happy day for both of us. (I mean me and my car of course) :D đź‘Ť

I just realized that 500km is about 310 miles. I have done that in my Prelude and in my old Lexus.

Boz Mon
I just realized that 500km is about 310 miles. I have done that in my Prelude and in my old Lexus.

You did that in your Lexus? How big was the tank? :confused:

For a 6 cylender, thats pretty good. My moms 3.0 V6 barely gets 350 km, and her tank is way bigger then mine. Of course its also a Dodge, so that should explain everything. :indiff:

SRV2LOW4ME

For a 6 cylender, thats pretty good. My moms 3.0 V6 barely gets 350 km, and her tank is way bigger then mine. Of course its also a Dodge, so that should explain everything. :indiff:

My Turbo 6 cylinder gets about 400-450km's per tank (mix of city, soft and hard driving)

well my 45L tank got me 560km once and the fuel light didnt even come on. However I think the light is broken cos when I put in like 10L of petrol in afterwards it was still empty (ie it filled the reserve tank). That works out to about 8L per 100km or around 29MPG...

Reserve tank? Wats that? Im starting to think that my car mightn't have a fuel light, i cant find where it is, i cant see any un-accountable lights that could be used for fuel warnings.

~Sp33~
Reserve tank? Wats that? Im starting to think that my car mightn't have a fuel light, i cant find where it is, i cant see any un-accountable lights that could be used for fuel warnings.
Yeah, EF's dont have fuel lights.

There is really no reserve tank, but the dial will indicate empty when there still are several inches of gas in the tank. The fuel pump should be fully immersed in fuel to cool it or over time it will wear more quickly and eventually fail. So the gauge is set to read empty when the fuel pump is no longer immersed in fuel, actually leaving you with enough to go a while farther. This isn't specific to Honda's, pretty much every EFI car does it this way.

SRV2LOW4ME

According to cars.com the SC tank is 21 gallons. The time I got more than 300 miles to a tank, it was almost empty. I think I ended up at 342 miles.

Whats the farthest you guys have driven on an empty tank? I mean, where the needle is at or below "E" on your guage.

My gas guage is digital, no needles, but one night when I was leaving work the last digit dissappeared and yet I still drove to a friends, drove to another friends, drove home and then to the gas station the next day. All together it was probably around 35-40 km (I worked in another city and lived in the country on the opposite side of the city in the center), and i'm assuming when I pulled into the gas station I was running purely on gas fumes and luck. :lol:

K thanks for the info guys. The reason I was looking into the Crx HF is because its the lightest model for its year. Weighing in at 1834lbs!!! And the 1990 crx si weighs 2174lbs. The 1990 Dx weighs 2103lbs. and the 1989 dx weighs 2048lbs.1989 crx si 2138lbs. And if I go 91' it gets heavier:nervous:

SRV2LOW4ME
Whats the farthest you guys have driven on an empty tank? I mean, where the needle is at or below "E" on your guage.

In all previous cars I have owned I have let the gauge go so low I ran out, In my current car I have gotten as far as the fuel light come on which was scary because the needle went so low I started to think the light didn't work.

planning on going "All motor" And the lighter the car the better it is. Also if i get the 89' HF a b16a would be a good motor because the car is light and would benefit from the engine alot and would be cheaper then buying say a B18C1 or B18C5. the hf comes with the 62hp engine so i would basicly get 100hp more from b16a witch would make the car alot faster than stock. Also I would like to take it around a track and keep the interior stock but still weighing under 2000lbs.

DDMv2
planning on going "All motor" And the lighter the car the better it is. Also if i get the 89' HF a b16a would be a good motor because the car is light and would benefit from the engine alot and would be cheaper then buying say a B18C1 or B18C5. the hf comes with the 62hp engine so i would basicly get 100hp more from b16a witch would make the car alot faster than stock. Also I would like to take it around a track and keep the interior stock but still weighing under 2000lbs.

Makes sense, but does the extra 300lbs make that much of a difference?

Well for bragging rights yeah...:sly: It would benefit to tho adding the weight of the driver(me 170lbs) plus the 1834lbs=2004lbs in the HF. the 1990 Si would be 2174 + 170lbs =2344lbs so yeah it would shave a couple seconds off a 1/4mile drag run or a lap around a track. And if i were to get the Crx Si 90' I might aswell just buy a 93' Civic VX (2094lbs) Lighter then the 1990 si.
Also this would be my little street warrior for the summer:dopey:

DDMv2
Well for bragging rights yeah...:sly: It would benefit to tho adding the weight of the driver(me 170lbs) plus the 1834lbs=2004lbs in the HF. the 1990 Si would be 2174 + 170lbs =2344lbs so yeah it would shave a couple seconds off a 1/4mile drag run or a lap around a track. :

Fair enough, but I doubt it would shave seconds off the times. On a roadcorse or even the drag strip 1 second is a lot of time. It might be closer to say a half second or so.

SRV2LOW4ME

Umm I went about 70km on the red part of the gauge (right on empty) and it was actually below empty, yet the fuel light still didnt come on. This has led me to believe that either my gauge or fuel light is buggered.

The reason I have been running my tank down low is to get some accurate fuel economy measures, so I can compare it when I get my Cold air intake (should be making that this weekend) and exhaust done, I can see if i still get the same economy.

For those interested, on www.preludeaustralia.com, one of the guys has shown how to make a successful (dyno proven) CAI for around $10 out of PVC (storm water) piping (90mm) that runs from the front of your engine bay straight into the stock airbox. Ill post pics after I have done it :sly:

DDMv2 - Every 100 lbs you shave off a car is 0.1 seconds off your quarter mile time. On the track it works a little different because then you have more variables, such as hp, suspension, line, etc, come into effect on how fast your able to handle the course. Since your going to be doing a swap anyways, you can basicaly choose whatever CRX model you like the most, as the 300 lbs won't make that huge of a difference on either the street or the track. I say you find whatever CRX you like the looks of most, and go from there, because if you do get serious about it one day, you can always shave the weight later. :D

Mclaren_Man - Woah, thats kind of cool, and a good idea for building an affordable intake for your car. A lot cheaper considering they sell "build your own intake" piping at my local performance shop with each piece costing more then your complete project. Make sure to post some pictures of the completed project. đź‘Ť

Im assuming the crx would be very similar to my car, And i know that if i have more then one person in the car it would make a hell of a lot more then 0.1 secs over the quarter mile. Its prolly different for you heavier cars, but when the cars so light to begin with, adding just that little bit of extra weight makes quite the difference.

Sp33 - Well, in the mathematical formula for speed blah blah blah, for every 100 lbs added, it works out too .100 of a second. Although it might not feel like it, if you actually give it in your car with and without the 100 lbs, it won't feel that much off. You really only notice it when your driving normally in the lower rpms, or atleast I do in my car.

Anyone ever seen one of these for sale? EBay doesn't seem to have any, and the site the picture is located at is my local speed shop, but they seem to have gone out of business without telling anyone, so i'm now on the search for the part from another source.
SpoonFrontLip.jpg

i've check optionjdm, teknotik, passwordjdm, hmotorslonline, jrp but havent found that lip yet! Must be quit rare. good luck finding it:tup:

I've checked a couple other sites as well to see if any people are selling used ones, and still nothing. Kind of sucks that the moment I see that they have it, they go out of business before I can make it over to see them. :(

Has anyone seen any other type of front lips for my car at all? Trying to stay with a JDM style look to the car, but unfortuantly i'm finding it rather hard to find the parts in Canada and the US. :grumpy:

SRV2LOW4ME
Sp33
Anyone ever seen one of these for sale? EBay doesn't seem to have any, and the site the picture is located at is my local speed shop, but they seem to have gone out of business without telling anyone, so i'm now on the search for the part from another source.
SpoonFrontLip.jpg

I have no idea where you could get that but I know some good Prelude forums just pm me or hit me up on AIM. I would post the address but I'm not sure if its a breach in the AUP or not?:nervous:

Still not able to find the front lip, but while searching around on Google, I found something Mclaren Man might like... :dopey:

Click here

Still haven't been able to find any commercials for my car yet though. :(

Edit: Nevermind, found one. Its for the AWS model, but oh well. :indiff:

Click here for anyone who wants to see it đź‘Ť

SRV2LOW4ME
Still not able to find the front lip, but while searching around on Google, I found something Mclaren Man might like... :dopey:

Click here

Still haven't been able to find any commercials for my car yet though. :(

Edit: Nevermind, found one. Its for the AWS model, but oh well. :indiff:

Click here for anyone who wants to see it đź‘Ť

I'm telling you dude absoluteprelude.com is the ultimate Prelude site. If you look in their archives you will find 2 or 3 4th gen commercials and if you register there you could probably find that lip that you are looking for.

Ive been looking for commercials for mine for quite some time with no results. I found some screens from A commercial once... But they where about the size of an avatar and you could barely tell what was going on lol. That demo on 4 wheel steer was mad :D I didnt think it made that much of a difference lol. I thought the back wheels would move like.. a negligable(sp?) amount, but theyre pretty mobil' them back wheels!! lol.

If you ever find a commercial for mine!!! let me know!!...

~Sp33~

Just downloaded the SManager software off www.hondata.com and a few calibrations so I can start learning how to use it for later in the year when I buy my S300.

Hondata đź‘Ť

Also decided that I'm going to fabricate my own turbo manifold.

At the moment the majority of my cash is going towards paying off my daily driver, once that's payed off I'm going to (not only have more cash in hand) but buy a cheap $1000 runabout (probably another EF :D) and flog off my car for $3000 odd so I can get a lot of cash in hand and finally start work on my Civic đź‘Ť

DJT
I just got a 83' civic 1300 FE hatchback.
Its my first car and I like it.
Now I just need to get a job and start buying goodies for it! :)

I havent heard may people talk about this car:indiff:

Well done on the purchase of your first car, Im not much of a civic man so I cant give you info on your car but im sure sp33, taurine and many others can help you out. Got any pics of the car?

btw guys i just finished making my Cold air intake out of stormwater piping :lol: trust me its all good Ill post up pics tomorrow when there is some light outside :sly:

Thanks!:)
I dont have any pics at the moment but I'll try and get some up soon.
It was only $700 and it runs ok.
My grandmother help me out alot to get it.
It need soom paint and body stuff done though.
There really isnt that much rust or any thing and
its got a little dint in the left front fender but its not that bad.
The inside needs soom cleaning and the seats need redone,
so as soon as I get a job and soom green I'll have some fun fixing it up.:)

Anyone know of any cool places with goodies for this year of civic?(1983)

I get the feeling that ther may not be much:nervous:

Sounds like your car will be a nice little project that will keep you amused on boring weekends :) good luck with it.

Well this weekend was a boring one for me so I decided that I would build my Cold air intake. Basically I used 1m of 90mm PVC piping (yes stormwater piping) along with a 45 degree bend and two 90 degree ones. I simply heated up one end of the piping over the barbeque (adds that aussie touch to it) and molded it to the shape of the join on the airbox. Then the rest just fitted into place. Then I glued it together with some PVC cement and spray painted it in a matt black finish, im thinking I might give it another coat or two later on cos at the moment it only has two coats. I did have to move a relay that was attatched to the side of the battery tray apart from that it is all as it was. All up the materials cost me AUS$8.00, a similar one to get made up by a shop would cost around 10 times that and it only took me about half an hour to make, so Im quite happy with it.

As for performance changes? well it sounds a lot meaner :lol: , I now get that sweet induction sucking sound and the note of the engine is also a lot louder from inside the cabin. Performance wise though, not much difference maybe slightly more responsive and the torque of the engine seems to kick in about 1000rpm earlier. Well worth the effort though đź‘Ť

Thank this guy www.racinghonda.com he is the original designer of it.

Pics:

Before the Intake:
enginebaymodded.jpg

After:
CAI1.jpg

CAI2.jpg

See how the intake is now right at the front, much better positioning.

Back