Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
Welcome to our newest member: Keef.

You should post some pics man :)

Where really starting to get some diversity amongst the Honda fan club, i love it :)

dsc00321bm5.jpg

:sly:

Just make sure you guys are careful, especially the V6 Commodores standard ones have a tendency to wallow around corners and bumps like a water bed and become unstable.

Point taken 👍

And Taurine dont ever do that again, I was scrolling down then all of a sudden there it was, I nearlly fell off my chair!

Do you mind if I borrow it until you set you car up? :D

Should bolt straight on, I'll just dodge a external gate on my exhaust manifold. :P

Point taken 👍

And Taurine dont ever do that again, I was scrolling down then all of a sudden there it was, I nearlly fell off my chair!

BTW If you ever shop at cartoys on port road be aware of the prices, many prices are just fine but I priced some NGK Iridium IX plugs with them the other day and they wanted $35 a plug.

Today I picked up 6 NGK Iridium IX plugs from Repco of all places for $16 each.

Woah, I missed alot when I was away...

Sp33 - Looking good man, love the black and white. Clean car and a dirt road though? What gave you that idea? You get a thumbs up for creativity. 👍

Keef - Nice! My favorite year for the Del Sol, and the targa top in the summer is awesome. So hows the VTEC treating ya so far? When do we get to see some pics, or atleast some more info?

Time Attack - SOHC? Thats like having one testicle. :lol: J/K

Taurine - Damn, you just gave me a chub.

Hey, look at all my new Honda buddies! How neato. Sorry, I don't have any pics right now and it'll probably be a while. This new phone could come in handy though.
Anyway, it's red. It's got the little black pinstripe thing going down the side. The paint has a tiny bit of fading on the top of the rear fenders and just about every plastic body panel, but the fading isn't that bad, especially for being a Georgia car. The only real rust on the body is around the edge of the right-rear wheel well. Another Honda buddy informed me that the little black rubber strip that covers the edge ends up holding water and causing rust on many a Honda. Oh well, not a biggie to me. And just so you know, it doesn't have those bug-eyed foglights in the bumper. The car is completey stock, which is cool, and only has ~105,000 miles--these days that's pretty low for a 1996, and especially a Honda. The interior is all black--as I think they all are--and the only things that aren't plastic is the carpet and seats. The interior is pretty flimsy, but I hear Honda didn't pay too much attention to detail with these cars. The only real problem in there is that the back end of the shift boot isn't connected to the console--a couple screws fixes that. The engine runs great, thought it has a hole in the pipe just before the muffler, which is okay by me since it sounds pretty mean. The stick is a joy to move, though it can be a pain to catch reverse every now and then. The brake pedal is more gushy than I'd like--a Honda tech and I agreed some new discs and pads would be nice--and the clutch only has another 10,000 or so miles left in it. I'm surprised how much grip the 14 inch Kuhmo all-seasons provide, though it doesn't feel like it handles great because of the stock suspension. The top works fine and doesn't leak, though it sqeaks pretty good when it's on. OH, and the chassis is mightly floppy, but that's to be expected in an old convertible. Overall I'm very happy with my decision. It's much better than my old [wrecked] Cavalier, and cooler than that VTEC Prelude I was considering.

Sp33 - Thanks for admitting me. Hopefully I can learn a little something about Honda.

SRV - I'm glad you like it. It seems like everyone likes it, and It still feels coold to get a little attention. And I always thought guys thought of Del Sols as girly cars. THe VTEC is killer, by the way. I figured out that I need to let the oil get up to snuff so it can actuate the cam(s?) correctly. Of course, I know you shouldn't run any car hard right after you start it, but you know how VTEC can excite a guy. It really gets the adrenaline pumping when you rev it to 7000 or so and your vlaves haven't kicked in yet! It just makes me a little nervous, you know?

Anyway, my question mark up there was this: The DOHC VTEC with the Honda head still only has VTEC on the intake side, right? I know a guy who told me it was the Acura heads (hence the numerous GSR and Type-R head swaps) that have it on the intake and exhaust cams. Speaking of which, you wouldn't happen to know a place where I could get a B18 with a fancy GSR head, would you? :lol: Or am I serious?...

Turbo is a Genuine Garrett GT3540 0.62 A/R turbine

Can't mock it up in the engine bay as I dont have the clamps to hold the turbine housing on (I was sure they were in the box)

But:

dsc00318ja4.jpg

Might get some 90 degree silicon bends tomorrow dunno yet.

keef: Welcome to the Club!
Im glad you like your honda:) Funny thing you mentioned about guys calling the del sol a "girls" car. In my opinion its not. Its a nice car especially with the Targa Top:dopey: Now what you should do is Sleeve your block, get a turbo just like Taurines and shut those ppl's mouths that are calling your car a "girls" car:sly: 👍
Post some pics up ASAP! I want to see your car sounds interesting:tup:

Taurine: Damn your setup is looking sick. I have two questions for you. First How much power you aiming for? 2nd What are you gonna run for Engine Management? Let me know :)

EDIT:
A question for you guys that know about del sols. Do any Canadian Model del sols come with a B16a2 from the factory? I remember reading that somewhere but I forgot where. Also If they do what years did it come in...

Anyway, my question mark up there was this: The DOHC VTEC with the Honda head still only has VTEC on the intake side, right? I know a guy who told me it was the Acura heads (hence the numerous GSR and Type-R head swaps) that have it on the intake and exhaust cams. Speaking of which, you wouldn't happen to know a place where I could get a B18 with a fancy GSR head, would you? :lol: Or am I serious?...

The DOHC VTEC is apart of both intake and exhaust cams. i-VTEC has the regular VTEC on both cams but then a cam phasing actuator on just the intake side to add extra cam timing adjustment, maybe you are getting confused with cam phasing.

[Taurine: Damn your setup is looking sick. I have two questions for you. First How much power you aiming for? 2nd What are you gonna run for Engine Management? Let me know :)

No real aims in terms of power but I would like more then 350whp, I'll be using a Hondata S300 :)

And no Jay, you cannot have my turbo :P

took the car for a cruise in the hills (nice twisty roads) today with a VS commodore, a VN commodore, 95 lancer (my girlfriends car, and yes she hates it too) and a 88 ford laser. Well everyone now looks at my car at a completly different perspective, pulled out about 2 mins on the next quickest cars (commodores) in about 8-10 km. My car came out fine and both of the commodores brakes were stuffed and one was overheating. Now they have realised that they have purchased the wrong car lol.

good day over all though, after about 120km I slowed the pace down so we could all go together for the last 50km or so. I walked away with the biggest smirk today.

And I forgot the camera so no pics guys, sorry.

Sounds like you had great fun, I have to get back out in the hills soon.

Taurine - That's going to be a hot engine when it's finished. Three hundred fifty horses might be a bit much though, don't you think? Will it be managable and easily drivable? That's the stuff I'd want, anyway. Or you could just be into drag racing and going crazy fast, I suppose.

Thanks DDM, but I think you're a little mixed up. I thought everyone else though it a girly car, but I've come to find out that everyone--girls and guys--love it.
I see another problem in your post. You speak of turbocharging my engine, like Taurine is doing. Problem is, I'm against any forced induction Honda engine. The RDX's new 2.3 is one of very few turbo motors they've made in, what, about 30 years. In my opinion a Honda engine needs to be relatively small but excessively powerful for it's size. It needs to run high rpms with ease. High gear ratios are necessary for a torqueless setup liek that, but that just means you get to hear the invigorating and mechanical scream more often and feel like you're going supa-fass. The engine is made even better if it's sitting in a car that weighs less than 3000 pounds. That's my "dream" Honda engine. So, no turbos or superchargers for me; I like them naturally aspirated.

Viper - Ah, thanks for the tip. So now I can be sure that my DOHC VTEC operates on the intake and exhaust cams. I'm guessing the Acura engines make more power because they have an i-VTEC DOHC head, right? So the "i" makes that extra 30 or so horsepower?

McLaren - Sounds like you had fun kicking ass. What car do you have? I haven't roamed this thread yet.

DDM mentioned boring and re-sleeving my 1.6. Is the block worth it? I thought I heard that some Honda blocks were pretty flimsy when subjected to high loads. Would that old block easily take about 200hp and 9000 rpm? Could it even make 200hp, since you can't really mess with timing and cams and such with the VTEC? I have a buddy with an EG hatch that's tuned everywhere and he has a B18 block with a GSR head (that i-VTEC I guess) and an A'Pexi controller making it all work. Would it be a better investment to race-out my engine or get a setup like his?

Viper - Ah, thanks for the tip. So now I can be sure that my DOHC VTEC operates on the intake and exhaust cams. I'm guessing the Acura engines make more power because they have an i-VTEC DOHC head, right? So the "i" makes that extra 30 or so horsepower?

I don't think Acura DOHC VTEC systems are any different to Honda DOHC VTEC systems except Acura had DOHC VTEC first in the US (Acura Integra GSR, Acura NSX) while Hondas that had VTEC was just SOHC VTEC.

Maybe the Acuras DOHC VTEC is more agressive or higher flow making it a better head to use, I'm not sure, but I know that all Honda's DOHC VTEC systems are on both intake and exhaust cams (while cam phasing is only on intake)

Come to think of it, I know SOHC VTEC only works for the intake valves and Acura came along with there DOHC VTEC on Intega GSR's, so obviously the GSR head is the way to go back then and for any SOHC VTEC cars so this maybe what the guy you know is talking about.

Taurine - That's going to be a hot engine when it's finished. Three hundred fifty horses might be a bit much though, don't you think? Will it be managable and easily drivable? That's the stuff I'd want, anyway. Or you could just be into drag racing and going crazy fast, I suppose.

Yeah Taurines car is strickly a drag racing bannana powered by a snail.

i-VTEC is only on K series motors which are in the lastest Integras and Accords.

Keef: A good place to start if you want more power is the I/H/E route which is: Intake Headers and Exhaust.

Intakes: A cold air intake will not only give you a bit more power but it will also give the car a mean intake sound and when it hit VTEC all the girls will fall down in orgasmic fits and you will have to fight them off with a stick so they don't all attack you as once.

Headers: Soooo many different choices to make from 4-1 and 4-2-1 I have never really looked that far into header design (my car is turbo you see) so maybe someone else can chip in here.

Exhaust: 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust will well and truely give the car a kick in the pants, you will also get a better exhaust note.

After that the options are endless with VTEC motors, don't be fooled, there are plenty of aftermarket camshaft options from swapping in factory Type R camshafts to cams that are rough at idle, only start making power at 7000rpm and rev well past 10,000rpm.

If this is your first Honda then don't worry about swapping in motors so soon, enjoy the car how it is and slowly modfiy it and add different parts. Being patient will help you understand the car better.

If this is your first Honda then don't worry about swapping in motors so soon, enjoy the car how it is and slowly modfiy it and add different parts. Being patient will help you understand the car better.

And then when you're tired of being patient wack a big snail shaped air pump on the stock engine and magicially watch the 'internals' become 'externals'? :D

keef: OOOO All motor route:dopey: Me personally I like all motor better over turbo but you cant beat the sound of that BOV! :)

as taurine already mentioned. I/H/E is a good route to head to in modifiying your VTEC motor. As for Headers. If you want the BEST headers your going to have to pay alot of money. Toda makes a killer header for B-series motors which makes great power. Those go for around $900USD so your going to have to save up.

Also Yes it is possible to get your B16a to 200hp. Your just going to need a very good tuner. Good quality parts. And you can reach 200hp. Another thing you can do to bump your HP up is buy a Type R head and put it onto the b16block. This will increase your hp and you will like the more agressive VTEC. These are just some sugestions. After you do the I/H/E you can go onto Cams , Engine Management , Port and polishing the head, and maybe ITB's:dopey:

Its possible to get 200hp all motor outta a B16a you just gotta do it right:tup: :)

I just got back from a cruise.

I raced an FC3 RX-7. It was ok in 1st and 2nd but he ended up winning by about 2 cars. Before that I raced an eclipes but I missed 2nd and gave up. I raced another new mustang but it seemed a lot faster then the last one I raced. Probably because this time it was from a roll...

I hope once pay day comes I can get some bolt ons and race that RX-7 again. I actually got a better launch then he did so if only I had more grunt in 3rd it would have been a little closer.

@srv2low4meh: it was more like, dirty + dirty road + poor quality camera that doesnt show up the dirt lol.

Taurine you crazy bastard that turbo is going to be awesome.

I've already looked at I/H/E parts. A nice AEM cold-air would be cool, and I'll get one of those water repellant sleeves so as not to drown my engine. I can get a neato Skunk2 cat-back for less than $500, but I may just borrow a muffler from a buddy (it's a good muffler, but I don't know the company) and get an exhaust shop to remove my cat and fab up a 2.25" pipe from the manifold to the muffler. I'm also interested in a ceramic coated DC 4-2-1 header. All that could be a while though, since I have to save my money to spend during college.
That goes for the suspension parts, too. A Tein coilover setup (is that cliche or not?) would be bangin', and I might not even need those Eibach front and erar antiroll bars.
But what I really want--since I never got a chance to install my rims and tires before I wrecked my cavvie--is, well, some rims and tires. Some 15x7 Motegi Traklites would be sweet, and only 11 pounds! Yes, they have a size that would fit perfectly. I know the recommended tire size is 195/55, but I'd go with 205/50, mainly because I can get these. Kuhmo Ecsta MXs are the tires I had waiting on my be-Koni'd Cavalier, but I had to be dumb and crash it. Oh well. Now I have VTEC!

EDIT: Okay, links work now.

And then when you're tired of being patient wack a big snail shaped air pump on the stock engine and magicially watch the 'internals' become 'externals'? :D

I had the CRX for sale for about 5 days but then I took it down because I just can't bring myself to sell it..

So I might give it a bit of TLC in terms of oil+filter, CVs and a general tidy up and then next year I might drop it on some new suspension with some 15 or maybe 16" wheels and tyres and then do a bit of mild engine work such as headers, 2.25" exhaust, fpr, fuel managment and probably Type R cams to give it a bit more pep.

It's still going to remain my daily driver so driveability will be important.

Some 15x7 Motegi Traklites would be sweet, and only 11 pounds!

Beautiful choice 👍

You could always save some money on the intake and purchase one off ebay for cheap. The filter is garbage, but you can swap in a K&N filter for added performance, so basically all you'd be buying is the tubing. A couple of my friends have gone this route, and so far they haven't run into any problems. A Tein coilover set up is never cliche, they're popular for a reason. If your interested in a coilover set up, I suggest GC (Ground Control) coilovers. They use Eibach springs, and the guide spring comes in handy whenever you lower your car off a hoist or jack. They might cost a little more, but they're the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Taurine - Your car didn't sell within those 5 days? Whats wrong with the people in your area?! :odd:
That thing would sell within hours over here. Maybe you should mail it too me and i'll keep...err...sell it for you...yeah, thats it. :D

Latest Posts

Back