Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
I agree. I just wonder how strong the bottom end is...

I got my kumhos on today. Not only did I manage to stall the car because good ol' jesus left it in gear when he parked it but I also managed to damn near wreck the car testing them out.

I come around a 90 degree left that goes slightly uphill doing maybe 50mph and all of a sudden the rear end steps WAY out, I correct and find the car now sliding the other way... I correct again and now I'm going towards the center devider... I just manage to get it going straight again so all is fine but it was pretty scary for a second.

sup, joined the honda fan club! i love hondas and at the end of high school, my dad's gonna give me his 97 'cord ex w/very low mileage (40.5k) it sounds sick when i rev it up:ill: , i love it! what performance mods do you recommend for it? it's an auto btw.

taken in the summer

I know that there are a few people in here that know heaps about rims, are these a copy of any popular brand? I think that they dont look too bad...

bg_140.jpg

edit:
now Im no wizz on photoshop so dont laugh, if I were to get rims Id have to lower my car, (i.e another $300 or so)

KspeedSuperGTs.jpg

I see those wheels a lot... Maybe not those exact wheels but something that looks like it... They sell them at every damn store... Even at a farm supply stores I **** you not... Tractors, pig feed and those wheels...

Are you sure you're not talking about the American Racing rims that they sell everywhere? I agree that they look the same, but close up, they're much different.

My friend had simular rims on his 3rd gen Prelude, only they were 7 spoke instead of 10, and they looked alright. From the picture, I'd have to say they'd look good, so I'd have to vote yes on getting them. 👍

Both American Racing and whomever you listed there (too tired to squint and figure it out) are copying Advan Kreuzer Series X's. Yes, those are copies, and to me, they look like crap. The only way that style of rim looks good, is with a very low offset (ie. +15 or lower). At +45 (near abouts for a FWD Honda) they look like garbage.

My friend had simular rims on his 3rd gen Prelude, only they were 7 spoke instead of 10, and they looked alright. From the picture, I'd have to say they'd look good, so I'd have to vote yes on getting them. 👍

hey I didnt say i was getting them, I said if I were to get them ;) . Im still undecided Ive got 3 main styles that I would like, the one shown above and these two:

bg_Kronus.jpg

bg_DSCN1257.jpg

I dont think it would be necessary to go any larger than 16" and I would probably get some fairly high profile tyres so that dont lose the comfort and driveability (there is plenty of room in my guards, people have put 18s under there without guard problems)

I'd be leaning towards the multi-spoke wheels as they always go well with a Honda.

As for wheel sizes, 17" would probably be a good size; they look more aggressive and perfectly accentutate the car's appearance.

But as for a auto-manual conversion, I really don't see the point. The time and money, not to mention the difficulty in performing one of these is not worth it. If you're really keen on a manual, I'd simply sell your auto and purchase one. Though in you case, the low mileage isn't so easy to come by...

At +45 (near abouts for a FWD Honda) they look like garbage.

I think its all about personal taste with rims, because to me, this doesn't look half bad.

DSCN0136.jpg

Mclaren Man - I've always been a fan of BBS copies (2nd rim in your post) but have yet to see them on a 3rd gen Prelude. ADR also makes a version that can usually be picked up for pretty cheap. The problem with the larger profile tire on a rim is the larger you go, the more they take away from the size of the rim. My friend had 16's on his '93 Civic, but with 195/65 16's on them, they looked smaller then the 14's that came on his car. Don't forget that you can gain some of the ride back with your suspension set up.

Also don't forget that if your overall diameter is larger than stock your speedometer will read slow. Obviously it'll read slower as the diameter goes larger. This might net you a ticket if you aren't aware of the speed difference.

BTW, that T-Sex looks fantastic.

Mine is only about a mile an hour or so off at average speed so it isnt that bad.

I took the car to a shop today for brake service... It turns out that the rear discs were shot as I expected and the right rear caliper had seased. A bolt also broke off so they are going to have to extract it which is adding another hour to the repair thus raising the total to about $200.

^^^ Those arent the actual wheels I was looking at, just the styles. As for getting proper brand name wheels, over here they probably go for around 2-2.5K, definitly not worth it on a car I purchased for $4500...

SRV: here is what multi spokes look like on a third gen:

DSC06179.jpg

DSC06180.jpg

DSC06185.jpg

You might want to go with 15'' instead of 17''... especially on a car as small as a 3rd gen Prelude.

^^^ Those arent the actual wheels I was looking at, just the styles. As for getting proper brand name wheels, over here they probably go for around 2-2.5K, definitly not worth it on a car I purchased for $4500...

I doubt that you couldn't find a decent online place to import you rims from Japan. You're in Australia, just imagine how hard it is for me to import rims. :)

You might want to go with 15'' instead of 17''... especially on a car as small as a 3rd gen Prelude.

Ill probably go for 16's if I get wheels. 16" is usually the best size if you dont want to worry about guard scraping or camber problems when you lower it. The stock size on the series 2 third gen is 15", on mine it is 14" so it would still be legal here in my state because you are allowed to go up 2 inches in size.

SRV: yup those are 16's

Toyomatt: That just proves my point even more ;)

How does it prove your point? I roll on JDM imported rims, so you should easily be able to. And, the size of your rim doesn't control your camber angles, the height of your car does. Whenever a Honda is lowered, you'll need a camber kit.

You don't always need a camber kit, it basically depends on the size of the drop. You really only NEED a camber kit when the camber angle is above 3 degree's, anything below that and the tread wear and angle is barely noticable. Besides, a little bit of camber will help with cornering/handling which is usually the reason the car was dropped in the first place.

Toe angle is the real enemy when it comes to tread wear. Damn that toe, damn it straight to hell!!!

How does it prove your point? I roll on JDM imported rims, so you should easily be able to. And, the size of your rim doesn't control your camber angles, the height of your car does. Whenever a Honda is lowered, you'll need a camber kit.

Mclaren_man
or camber problems when you lower it

I just re read your post and it actually says "I doubt that you couldn't find an import place" I thought it said "I doubt you could". So I take back what I said about it being harder.

also I still dont want to be spending too much money on this car as I need as much money for next year when I move interstate and possibly buy a new car :)

edit: also my stud pattern is 4x100, I dont think they're as many rims in that size...

edit 2: I went on a night cruise the other night and at the end I got some snaps of my car, but I forgot my tripod so the pics are a little blury.

nightshotatRAA1.jpg

nightshotatRAA2.jpg

nightshotatRAA3.jpg

nightshotatRAA4.jpg

If my car could talk: "when I grow up, I want to be an NSX"

:lol:

Nice pics, but your wrong about your bolt pattern being hard to shop for. You share the same bolt pattern as the Civic, so most rims do come in your size.

And if your car could talk, I think it would say "My owner hates me, it spanked my bum with a post!" :lol:

lol^^^

@Keef: The larger the diameter of the tyre the faster your speedo reads, because the car travels further for every revolution of the wheel if the circumference is greater. So if you get some 18's on a car that had 13 steelies, you could be doing 10kph over the limit although your speedo reads under.

@Mclaren man: im not too fussed on brand names, i quite like the first choice of rims. ALso those two preludes that you showed a pic of where at a cruise i went too. That 3rd gen was soo awesome.. There was others there too. I think there was almost 60 cars :)

@SRV: :lol: lucky my car cant talk then

@SP33: was that cruise an ozhonda one? because I think they go on them as well. 4th gen owner is called andy and ben owns the "JDM" 3rd gen.

To Mclaren_Man:

I have a 4x100 bolt pattern, and I've got 16's. :)

I'm not trying to make your life difficult, I just think a clean car, such as yours, deserves proper wheels. 👍

Latest Posts

Back