Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
Hey guys, i was wondering if i can ask a question. Ok so here it is, Im stuck on something to do with the car. Either do up the existing engine with Krower forgies, port polishing, d17 block, you know all that crazy stuff OR go for a B16A Engine transplant OR turbo the engine now? If you had $5000 to spend on the car what would you do?

For 5000$ id turbo the B16.

The B16A? Yeah its a sweet engine, but i think its over rated abit. The car now can already smoke CRX's, VTiR civics we even beat a B16B VtiR until third gear lol. Is it really worth all that money just to be the same as everone else?

Then don't be like everyone else, do something different. Unfortuantly, with the popularity of the car, there really isn't anything that hasn't been done before.

My vote goes to dropping in a K20. Sure it'll be hard to do and eat up all the money you'll have, but it'll be f'n sweet! 👍

The K20 would be a nice addition to the EK chassis, and would produce some lovely low-end torque. Let's not forget adding a 6 speed would be nice as well. :)

haha, i like the way you guys think! If only i could do that to the car, ive heard of a whole K20 transplant for $10,000AUS that alone is more than the car was worth when we got it haha. I think were going for the turbo route, by the end of the year is should already be in, then when i get the car i will save up for a b18c and shove it in there!

Id ethier go with the k-series or H22. People say the h22 is a waste of money and ****, but its not. You get ENOUGH torque an can run a mid 13second run stock. Also note how much cheaper a H22 is compared to the K swap.you can get an h22 full swap for about $2500 USD. 190hp and 150ft.lbs torque seems good to me:)

Theres a reason the B16's are popular. 160hp out of a 1.6L ? hell yea! Plus they rev like bajeebus and have a stronger block for boosting on then the d17.

SOHC turbo's are pretty cool though.

OH and B16's look better. I reckon the B series engine is THE best looking engine. K20 is hella more powerful, and expensive, but it looks like a giant plastic lump :(

And then theres the D series..... :(

lol. Your choice man!!

The basic K series swap not including aftermarket mounts, driveshafts and shipping runs about $4000 here... The H22 is of course cheaper but the draw backs are clear. Its a 5 speed, its heavier then the B series and MUCH heavier then the D series and you cannot simply bore these engines has they have a special type of sleeve. If any work needs to be done to the bores they must be resleeved...

If you want a larger size motor you can also consider the non vtec B series motors... Both the b18a/b and b20b/z offer good potential although the b20 in known to have weak sleeves.

If you dont mind the lag a turbo is certainly the way to go if you want peak power and as everyone knows the sound of a blow off valve is pure sex. Pretty much any engine you choose will be fast with one of these of course... If you stay with the D series however you need to be very mindfull of the weak conrods and relativly weak sleeves. While that goes for all Honda motors it is more true for the D series. A commen rule of thumb whehn turbocharging these motors is to not push it much past 200hp-220hp.

Personaly I enjoy natural aspersation due to the response and high revs although the lack of torque compaired to a forced induction engine is rather apparent.

Of course something else worth considering is supercharging. While they are prone to surging the roots type blower is a good choice for the response and low end torque it provides. It wont give the top end of a turbo but since it is belt driven it makes power from very low rpm... Not to mention how the whine they make is also very musical.

While considering all these options on engine and induction method, make sure to take into consideration how each engine responds, where it makes it peak power and what its power curve looks like. If you pick the larger 2.0l or 2.2l a turbo maybe the route to take, while if you chose the more peaky B16 that is known to suffer in the low rpm range a supercharger would be more ideal.

Yet another thing to think about depending on how far you want to go is an H series/F series hybrid motor...

I'm done rambling now...

If you dont mind the lag a turbo is certainly the way to go if you want peak power

A commen rule of thumb whehn turbocharging these motors is to not push it much past 200hp-220hp.

If 200-220hp is the limit (assuming at the flywheel) then the turbocharger can be quite small and lag woundn't be any issue at all.

Yes the D series isnt a bad motor if you wanna shoot for under 200hp. Using a simple T25 the lag shouldn't be that bad... I hear its spooled by 3k.

Awesome, another turbo honda zooming around here soon, cant wait to see how it unfolds for you montecarlo 👍

AND, guess what my girlfriend got me for christmas?

A SET OF JDM FOG LIGHTS!!!!

she got them off ebay for just under $100AU including shipping :)

Great,

but do me a favor Mclaren and please don't go using them with your headlights all the time like to many stupid Silvia drivers have been doing, use them when needed. 👍

Great,

but do me a favor Mclaren and please don't go using them with your headlights all the time like to many stupid Silvia drivers have been doing, use them when needed. 👍

Atleast they're using them WITH the head lights. Around here, people use them AS their head lights. It wouldn't be a problem, but with the way people drive around here, I'd rather have them seeing as much of the road and me as possible. :scared:

hey guys thanks for all the info, im learning alot! :) im a naturally asperation guy myself, but i think the turbo will go alright for now until there are bigger plans for the car. Thanks for all the help. (Honda club is awsum!).
I must admit, i use the foggies latley for headlights! BUT thats because my brother put in HIDs and there shining too high upwards, so people think ive got my high beams on when i really dont it annoys me haha.

Time_Attack: you said the H22 is "heavier then the B series and MUCH heavier then the D series"

thats not true. The h22 only weighs a mere 30lbs more then the B18C1...

Not to change the subject or anything but does anyone know if the D series engines are interference engines? Speciffically the D15 I think it is? Whichever one is in an 89 CRX dx

Great,

Ill only use them with the headlights when I'm up in the hills at night :)

One of the guys at prelude australia has them and during the day he had them on to show us how they have no glare at all. Its true, when he was behind me it just looked like he had some glowing yellow plutonium rods on the front of his car, not blinding lights. If that makes any sense, I dont think it does :ill:

Anyway foggies are just for show around here, we get no fog :(

SRV2LOW4HIM
What the?! I hope no one elses car sounds like this...

actually mine did once, when I first put my CAI in and part of the piping rubbed up against my secondary cooling fan at the front, when the fan came on it sounded just like that. But its ok, I fixed it :dunce:

thankoo!! Learn something new every day..

So if thats an interference engine (which the D series is to answer Boz Mon) What are the anti interference engines?

Anti interference? I assume you mean non-interference, which means that the cylinder and valves will not collide if the valve timing is out, timing chain/belt snaps or any reason (besides valve falling out or off ;))

Back