Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
Nice pictures, I like the ones under the bridge and I especially like how your friends girlfriend didn't even bother getting out of the car. :lol: 👍

We took some more at night but they came out blurry and the supra died in typical toyota fashion before we could take anymore.

I told him to buy a honda but he didn't listen.

It's just that I'd rather have a high revving, responsive DOHC v-tec engine than a 300hp turbocharged FF car. I don't know why you don't, considering you had an S2000 for a while.

The plus with turbo cars is that you put a turbo back exhaust on them, and nine times out of ten that will gain you 15-20KW (30-40HP?) basically its a lot cheaper and more rewarding to modify as you get bigger gains with smaller investment.

nice pics of the civic and supra. I reckon driving a supra in the snow would be kinda scary though. . .

I washed the lude the other day but I couldnt get any full body shots because I was in the garage and it was snowing outside. But anyway....

Going from a 175 to a 185 with the same aspect ratio is a 5.7% increase in diameter, which almost perfectly accounts for the 6% increase in to speed from 118 mph to 125 mph.

BTW: 125 mph feels a lot faster than 115, doesn't it? :sly:

the larger the wheel the slower your speedo reads, so if thats the case you would have actually been going faster then what your speedo had once read.

Oh, and nice pics boz mon :)

I'm pretty sure different pictures of that same car was posted awhile ago in the questionable mods thread.

With the stock 175/65/14 it was 115. With some 205/50/15s it was the same. I don't see how being in the middle is going to change anything.

With the stock 175/65/14 it was 115. With some 205/50/15s it was the same. I don't see how being in the middle is going to change anything.

Those two tire sizes are the same height, but the 205 tire is 30 mm wider. On the 175/65 tire the sidewall height is about 65% of the width (175mm). On the 205/50 the width is 205mm, and the sidewall is 50% of that.

The speedometer of a car is set to read precisely for the stock tire's overall diameter or height. If you put a tire that is taller than that the speedometer would read low, which means that you would be travelling faster than the speedometer says you are. If you put a tire that has a smaller diameter than the original the speedometer will read high, which means the speedometer is saying you're going faster than you actually are.

The speedometer in my Sol could say I'm going 170. If I put a smaller-diameter tire on my wheels.

:lol:

Go ahead. Nobody on the street would know the difference, but don't get yourself in a situation where you actually have to prove it. 👍

Also, the rim size doesn't matter, though it does influence the diameter required of the tire. The tire diameter is the diameter that causes the change, since that is the overall diameter of the wheels as a whole.

I don't think I fully follow you but I think you're saying that I wasn't going any faster than usual. I'm not much for the math of it. :(

The point is if the change of tyres gave you a different overall tyre diameter, your speedo will read differently. at lower normal speeds it may hardly be noticeable but at higher speeds it could make quite a difference.

If you give the your current tyre size, we compare with the old (175/65/14 right?) we can work out the difference. Chances are your car hasnt gained any speed at all.

stock: 175/65/14
now: 185/60/14

I don't see why when I had some 205/50s it wasn't changed but it is now.

14 inch = 355.59mm
15 inch = 381mm

Stock: 175/65/14 = 355.59+(175*0.65) = total dia 469.34mm (18.49 inch)

Now: 185/60/14 = 355.59+(185*0.60) = total dia 466.59mm (18.38 inch) = 0.6% smaller than stock

What you once had: 205/50/15 = 381+(205*0.50)= total dia 483.5mm (19.04 inch) = 3.0% larger than stock.

So in theory (given relative tread depth) your speedo should be out by 0.6% right now to what is was stock showing a 0.6% higher speed on the speedometer so +0.6 mph at 100mph which is almost nothing (well within manufacturer design rules).

With the 205/50/15's your speedo in theory should have been 3% lower than you were actually doing (compared to stock tyres). So you would have had to drive 3mph faster to get the same 100mph speedo reading compared to stock.

As to why your car is faster...... Dunno maybe your speedo needs recalibrating or you added a Turbonator :P

*Note* actual tyre diameter may vary due to tyre pressures, thread depth, tyre designs etc

That made more sense. I like it when people take the time to dumb things down for people that don't know much on a given subject. 👍

As to why your car is faster...... Dunno maybe your speedo needs recalibrating or you added a Turbonator :P

Going from a 175 to a 185 with the same aspect ratio is a 5.7% increase in diameter, which almost perfectly accounts for the 6% increase in to speed from 118 mph to 125 mph.

There's your answer VIPER. TA, the bottom line is that your car wasn't going any faster, but since your new wheels/tires are smaller than your old ones they have to spin faster to cover the same distance, and therefore the speedometer--which reads wheels revolutions--was reading more revolutions than it was with the old wheels. More revolutions = higher speedometer reading. But a radar gun would tell you you're really going the same. Blame the speedo, he's a liar.

There's your answer VIPER. TA, the bottom line is that your car wasn't going any faster, but since your new wheels/tires are smaller than your old ones they have to spin faster to cover the same distance, and therefore the speedometer--which reads wheels revolutions--was reading more revolutions than it was with the old wheels. More revolutions = higher speedometer reading. But a radar gun would tell you you're really going the same. Blame the speedo, he's a liar.

But if you read the maths I did above you will see that the difference between the stock and current wheels is only 0.6%, not 5.7%. (did you even read my post at all except the end part?)

Remember when Skip figured out 5.7% size increase he did not know the aspect ratio of the 185's so he assumed it being the same as the 175's, I asked for the sizes and it wasn't the same.

Back