Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
dude you dont live over here so you dont know whats available. The springs and shockers Im getting are of very high quality for australian roads, you seriously have no idea how crap the roads are over here, just ask VIPERGTSR. so dont tell me i'm skipping **** on my car, if I was gonna do it 'cheaply' I could have got springs and shockers all up for like $300 but Im spending closer to $1k on them. im also saving up for my next car, which wont even be a honda.

edit: trust me this aint the cheap route, I just dont need or want coilovers for my car, you know not everyone wants to have some riced up racing car for the street. . .

edit: trust me this aint the cheap route, I just dont need or want coilovers for my car, you know not everyone wants to have some riced up racing car for the street. . .
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know race coilovers were rice.:odd:

Anything is avaliable for you, if you think otherwise, you havn't looked around enough.

I don't see why you are getting pissed off over nothing. Whether you like it or not, you don't need coilovers OR springs. With that out of the way, it's a known fact that a quality coilover will be better in the end than a quality strut/spring combination.

Lowering springs put more stress on the stock struts, leading to them blowing quickly. An aftermarket strut is better, but depending on how stiff your springs are, it may still put a lot of stress on the struts. Even if you find a good combination, it will never be as good as a coilover that has a spring and damper designed to work together as a unit.

I should also note AGAIN that I'm sure you will end up with a car that much more fun to drive, but all of the above is my opinions and reasons for not buying a strut/spring combination instead.

ok dude Im sorry if I overreacted, race coilovers aren't rice but they're however, illegal where I live. Its just that my decision has been helped along by people who own the SAME cars as me and recommend that upgrading the shocks and springs is a very good mod for the street, especially when you get Pedders sports ryder shocks which are designed for lowered cars. So yea I based my opinion on what these guys have done to their cars which are the same as mine and not by some kid who has been driving a civic for a month or so. . .

ok dude Im sorry if I overreacted, race coilovers aren't rice but they're however, illegal where I live. Its just that my decision has been helped along by people who own the SAME cars as me and recommend that upgrading the shocks and springs is a very good mod for the street, especially when you get Pedders sports ryder shocks which are designed for lowered cars. So yea I based my opinion on what these guys have done to their cars which are the same as mine and not by some kid who has been driving a civic for a month or so. . .
Illegal? Wow, that really sucks. Do you know why by any chance?

I've had my Civic for 2 weeks actually, even less really. I just don't see how that has anything to do with my knowledge. I base my opinions on the information years of research and experience racecar drivers and engineers have put into suspension design. I'd rather take their word for it.

But man, illegal? I'm pretty sure most real coilovers are of equal or better quality than stock Honda parts. I don't see any reasoning behind making them illegal.

Anyways, make sure to post some pics when you're done, it's going to look great with your car/wheel combo.👍

Illegal? Wow, that really sucks. Do you know why by any chance?

Almost everything automotive is illegal here if the police decide so, if you get defected (because our cops feel like it) our auto inspectors pretty much do as they please. They are not very professional about it, it is possible to get many mods and conversions legal but they like to send you through lots of red tape, time, cost and bother. The reason why most modified cars here are illegal if inspectors go over them.

As for adjustable coilovers, they have adjustable ride height, police and inspectors here don't like that.

Oh and yes our roads are not the best to have high springrate coilovers daily. I want to get some coilovers soon but not on my daily car.

I was shown I nice curvy section of road just outside of town tonight. I was unaware that I was not living on a pancake until tonight. T'was great fun indeed.

Almost everything automotive is illegal here if the police decide so, if you get defected (because our cops feel like it) our auto inspectors pretty much do as they please. They are not very professional about it, it is possible to get many mods and conversions legal but they like to send you through lots of red tape, time, cost and bother. The reason why most modified cars here are illegal if inspectors go over them.

As for adjustable coilovers, they have adjustable ride height, police and inspectors here don't like that.

Oh and yes our roads are not the best to have high springrate coilovers daily. I want to get some coilovers soon but not on my daily car.

Talk about deterring someone from coming to Australia. :( I would have liked to go, but dang, if they're THAT picky over there, I'll just stay home. :(

Talk about deterring someone from coming to Australia. :( I would have liked to go, but dang, if they're THAT picky over there, I'll just stay home. :(

Yeah they can be that picky but I havent had any problems personally yet. And other states are not bad like ours (South Australia) when it comes to auto inspectors. Also here in SA we don't have to get our car inspected for smog, or anything on a yearly basis like other state and country's so the only time we need to get our car inspected is if we have obvious defects or piss off a cop.

Come to NZ instead :D

You can do whatever you want as long as you get it certified. If it's certed, the cops cannae do anything to screw you over.

And you can certify whatever you want, as long as you do it safely and properly! :D

I once heard about a guy in Australia who got defected (is that what you call it?) because his clutch fluid reservoir was only half full. :crazy:

And you can certify whatever you want, as long as you do it safely and properly! :D

Same here mostly, often you need to go through alot of red tape though.

I once heard about a guy in Australia who got defected (is that what you call it?) because his clutch fluid reservoir was only half full. :crazy:

Probably, cops here don't need an actual excuse as they are not engineers, if they believe the car isn't road worthy even without proof they can defect you. In most cases they defect because they don't like you and use it as a punishment. I have been threatened with a defect just because I was driving in a suburb at 2am and my he heard my standard BOV. I have also been threatened to get defected because I was in a car park talking to friends and the cops wanted us to leave.

A friend of mine was drifting a corner in his 180SX and a cop saw him, he got defected to 'regency' (our strict inspectors) instead of a fine as 'regency' is worse. Though if you get defected to a local police station it is easy to get passed again.

Regency is the worst, some of the stories I have heard from that place.

also ferrari chris, people have gotten defected before for having no water in their window washer reservoir.

put my front springs in, Ill put the rears in tomorrow, then Ill post pics in a few days once they're settled.

Perfect balance: no hard feelings man, Ill post some pics for ya when I'm done.

Woah, and I thought Ontario had it bad for cops pulling that stuff. Over here, we get our cars pulled off the road if we have breather filters on our valve covers, and if more then one car cruises together (eg. 3 Honda owners out for a drive) they're ticketed for mischief, or followed till they stop and are told to go home.

The craziest thing I've ever seen was on the way to Import day at our local track/strip. Right around the corner from the event, the cops set up a spot check and were checking under the hood and in the trunk of every "tuner" car that went through. When I went through, they had the hoods up on 5 cars, with another 10-15 in line.

all it is doing is revenue raising, over here they say that the speed camera's save lives. If they save lives, then how come up in the hills they disguise the camera's as rubbish bins so you cant see them? If they were saving lives then they would make the camera's appear as obvious as possible so that people actually slow down, but instead they disguise them so that they can catch people out doing higher speeds which equates to a bigger fine they have to pay.

Update on my car: it had initially dropped about 2cm, and overnight it has dropped another 1cm :D

I have been on cruises were cops suddenly block all exits and then go through everybody's cars one by one looking for obvious defects, my car appears much more legal than others so I get through ok, infact I haven't had any problems so far even with regency. My car got through regency easy when it was first imported from Japan and it had an HKS cold air intake, RS*R exhaust, even a turbo timer and regency never worried about it. Got them on a good day.

all it is doing is revenue raising, over here they say that the speed camera's save lives. If they save lives, then how come up in the hills they disguise the camera's as rubbish bins so you cant see them? If they were saving lives then they would make the camera's appear as obvious as possible so that people actually slow down, but instead they disguise them so that they can catch people out doing higher speeds which equates to a bigger fine they have to pay.

they do that everywhere. Cops don't really give a crap about saving lives they wanna make money and get their jollys off giving you a hard time.

Ok the springs are in.

BEFORE SPRINGS:

newwheelson2.jpg

AFTER SPRINGS:

rearofcarlowered.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Here are the heights, Fronts - initial drop 2.4cm, then over 24hours another 1.1 cm, all up 3.5cm

Rears - initial drop 2.8cm, and after a few hours they have settled another 0.8cm, they're still settling so I will measure them again tomorrow.

Not bad though considering the manufacturer said the fronts would be somewhere between 30-40mm and it ended up being 35mm! The rear already sits much lower and in proportion to the front, it always sat high. Overall I am happy with the result and by doing it myself I saved the $250 installation fee!

So, you're telling me that if I want to be a real Honda fanatic I need to start collecting old and pristine owners' manuals? My Sol didn't even come with a tire pressure sticker, much less an owners' manual! :lol:

But that is a nice collection of books there. How did you get all of them?

McMan, the car looks much better lowered. It looks less like a truck, and more like a Prelude.

I never even bothered to measure how much the springs lowered my Cavalier. It never crossed my mind. Hmmm...

Mclaren Man - Looks good! Decent drop all the way around, and by the looks of it, your camber wasn't affected. Let us know how it handles the hills.

Sp33 - Nice additions to the collection, but wheres the Prelude brochures?! :lol:

McMan, the car looks much better lowered. It looks less like a truck, and more like a Prelude.

that thought has crossed my mind to :sly:

SRV2LOW4ME
Mclaren Man - Looks good! Decent drop all the way around, and by the looks of it, your camber wasn't affected. Let us know how it handles the hills.[QUOTE/]

I'll let you know how it goes 👍 Also hurry up and get a camera dude, I want to see some pics of your car!

Back