Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
You also got to remember when you have a racing seat and are harnessed into it, if you have a serious accident which involves roll over the roof without a roll cage will come down easy, with you being strapped into your seat tightly it will come down on the top of the seat, head and neck. With a regular seat and seatbelt your body will be pushed down or aside.

All this for a Momo steering wheel....?

(BTW I have a basic no-frills genuine Momo wheel on my car, I must admit much better feel than the stock wheel)

I probably won't be putting on the wheel until I get some of the other things. My original question was just how hard would it be to reconnect the airbags to pass inspection.

EDIT: I think of it this way. Take the chance that I will get in a crash at all, then from that, take the chance that the crash will be hard enough to cause serious damage, then from that, take the chance that I will be injured in the crash, then from that, take that chance that the injury will be to my head, and then finally, the chance that the injury to my head would have been prevented if I had an airbag. This would include all of the other safety features in the car, including crumple zones and the collapsible steering column, along with the collapsible hub itself. The chances of something like that happening end up being very slim.

I don't see why you guys think not having an airbag is such a big deal. Race cars are way safer than any normal car you see on the road, and they have roll cages, no airbags, and racing harnesses. Sure, they have helmets, but they rarely go bumping their helmets on stuff in crashes. The helmet also adds another 2 inches or so, so while not having a helmet isn't as safe, you aren't going to be smashing your head into roll cages and steering wheels the entire time, especially with another 2 inches of clearance all around.

Take for example, Cusco roll cages. They aren't made to FIA spec, so you can't say they were made for race cars, they were just designed to add rigidy and safety to normal cars. In my car, in any way that I move my head, even while picking myself off the seat an inch or so, my head doesn't go anywhere near the places where bars would run in a roll cage. Racing seats sit even lower, so that gives me even more clearance. In the event that the roll cage screws up the crumple zones, and racing harnesses won't hold me back, the airbag isn't going to do much in the first place. Until that kind of situation, having those items in my car won't make anything worse. ...

... I think of it this way. Take the chance that I will get in a crash at all, then from that, take the chance that the crash will be hard enough to cause serious damage, then from that, take the chance that I will be injured in the crash, then from that, take that chance that the injury will be to my head, and then finally, the chance that the injury to my head would have been prevented if I had an airbag. This would include all of the other safety features in the car, including crumple zones and the collapsible steering column, along with the collapsible hub itself. The chances of something like that happening end up being very slim.
You rule dude! 👍

:lol:

Pardon me while I go take a nap on my collapsible steering column. They're like big giant cloudy marshmellows! [/sarcasim]

Like Sp33 said, the thing that will collapse the column is your face, and if you think an airbag will make your glasses gouge out your eyes, then hows it going to feel when a collapsed column thrusts a steering wheel half way through your skull.

Although, this could answer the million dollar question: What collapses first, the column or your face? :lol:

Just my final 2 cents

Pardon me while I go take a nap on my collapsible steering column. They're like big giant cloudy marshmellows! [/sarcasim]

Like Sp33 said, the thing that will collapse the column is your face, and if you think an airbag will make your glasses gouge out your eyes, then hows it going to feel when a collapsed column thrusts a steering wheel half way through your skull.

Although, this could answer the million dollar question: What collapses first, the column or your face? :lol:

Just my final 2 cents
When is the last time someone with racing harnesses smashed their face into the steering wheel, especially someone 6ft+?

When is the last time someone with racing harnesses smashed their face into the steering wheel, especially someone 6ft+?

In a race car, the roll cage is needed because the car usually gets ripped to bits when it crashes. Rolling is the prefered way to crash at speed (providing there is no gravel track/runoff long enough to stop in instead) due to the energy being absorbed from each roll, (the bit that hurts the most is the last roll back onto (hopefully) four wheels or the roof, providing the driver isn't unconcious) instead of a sudden stop from hitting the Armco or any other barrier, which can cause whiplash and internal bleeding.
Huge structural damage is common so the car needs the extra support from the rollcage, so that there are at least metal bars left to protect the driver if the roof gets ripped off or crushed.

Harnesses commonly dislocate and break shoulders and collarbones, a small sacrafice on a race track, they REDUCE the damage caused to the driver, but don't think harnesses and race seats are perfect either, with a 6 point harness and OMP bucket seat you can still hit bodyparts (arms and knees mainly) in a crash as you still get thrown forwards, just a lot less than with a regular seat belt.

Harnesses also commonly jam a lot, which is no problem on a track as marshalls/stewards carry knives to cut drivers free, but on the roads being able to get out quickly after a serious crash is very important, and getting trapped is the last thing you want.

Proper race-orientated seats reduce visability greatly, which is dangerous in itself, and could lead to a crash in the first place. If anything, get a road styled seat, such as Sparco or Cobra's cheaper models, or take seats from a roadsports car (example: Type-R/STi seats)

Personally, the only items here that i'd allow in my car are the road-styled seats, road-styled harnesses, and a support bar going behind the seat to support the harnesses (minimum angle for the harnesses to slope away from the seat is 45 degrees, less than this and it's not worth having them, optimum is 10 degrees more (sloping up 10 degrees - very rare, mainly only used in SUVs, vans and 4X4s) or 10 degrees less (sloping down) from being horizontal with the support bar (These are FIA recommendations for the 'saloon car' section - basically a 'race prepped' road car).
NOTE: Harness bars can be welded onto roof supports, but will need triangular supports above and infront of the bar, and VERY thick, generous welds.

My top tip: Keep the airbags. I'd rather sell a car than drive with no airbags, I know at track days they save many people from having to be airlifted to hospital.

Trust me, I'm a Marshall :) 👍

without reading any of this crap and only having seen the word momo I am just going to say that I think Sparco makes better looking wheels.

015R345MLN-black.jpg

I'd prefer to have the brushed aluminum center though.

You guys seen that new S2000 CR? I hate it. First off, it's fricking baby blue. The spoiler is painted and looks like something from Toys R Us. Why the heck won't they make a Type R Stew?

You guys seen that new S2000 CR? I hate it. First off, it's fricking baby blue. The spoiler is painted and looks like something from Toys R Us. Why the heck won't they make a Type R Stew?
Cause 9,000 rpms is probably tough to improve on, at least without being expensive. Also, seeing the way they sold, it would be a waste of money. At least, this way, they can appeal to some rice ricers.

Still, it's ugly.

My dream car at the moment is a Stew. I love the simple dash. My Sol has the door to cover the radio too, and I love it. The Stew's steering wheel is just awesome, the shifter feels perfect, and the pedals are in just the right spot. I've never driven one, but now I have to make sure my buddy hooks me up with a drive before the dealer runs out!

I heard somewhere that some people replace the head on the F22C with one from an ITR K20. Is it true that the K20 head is better than the F20/22?

I CAN'T AFFORD GAS!!!!!!!!!!

Your wheels are awesome.

EDIT: Can you take some pics of the ones that are blocked by the others?

EDIT #2: If I told you that you were my best friend, would I get a set of wheels?

I CAN'T AFFORD GAS!!!!!!!!!!

Your wheels are awesome.

EDIT: Can you take some pics of the ones that are blocked by the others?

EDIT #2: If I told you that you were my best friend, would I get a set of wheels?

Response to Edit #1: Here ya' go:

dsc0005lb2.jpg

Response to Edit #2: Sorry, but I collect 'em, not sell/give 'em. ;)

Nice set, Matt. I can't remember seeing pics of the two rims in front. Are they new additions?

I'm in the process of putting on my suspension right now. Kind of a lull in the action as a buddy heads to the hardware store because a stubborn bolt on the bottom of the left-rear strut--through the control arm bushing--decided to break on us. We got the nut off the end (which was tack-welded on for soem reason) but now we have to drill out the bolt, and replace the threads I suppose. I'm just following the lead of my mechanic buddy. We've taken a few pics, but they're crappy since we're in the garage, the light is bad, and my cousin has no clue how to make an average subject look cool. :lol:

Wow. I'm not even going to give you guys the lowdown on te install because I really don't want to think about it. It was miserable, and that's all you need to know. We started at 2:30 pm and finished two and a half hours ago, at 1:30 am. A 4 hour job that took 11.

But, I will tell you some early driving impressions. The car's ride is stiffer than I thought it would be, which is cool. Not sure if the ladies will dig it, but I got this kit for me, not them. The car's responses are much quicker and there's very little body roll, which makes me glad I didn't pay an extra $330 for the antiroll kit. However, the car only has slightly more grip than before, but that's the fault of the crappy all-season tires equipped. It just feels much more sure-footed and confident in general. It'll take soem getting used to for sure.

He doesnt want them lol. Theyre not made from dinasaur teeth cured from the depths of volcanic magma like his other wheels are.

Mr5's 👍

Alright then I just got done caking the holy hell out of those flanges with the red rtv. We'll see how it does in a few hours. I did 1/4th on the rear flange and half the flange in the middle.

if that doesn't work I'm taking it to a shop and having them weld it together as I'm tired of huge exhaust leaks.

The big leak was the one right after the resonator which is in the middle. There was also a smaller leak at the flange just before the LCA but most of the trouble was from the other one.

I've still got the car on jack stands for now. I'm giving it a few hours before I move it out of the garage to where I park it just to make sure. I won't be driving it more than that until tomorrow.

OK then. Fair enough.

Does anyone here want a set of Mugen Mr5s?

Very reasonably priced - with bolt covers, centre caps, tools and original accessories box.

Get mad tyte JDM respect with these rims and accessories yo!

Back