hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,012 comments
That maroon one is not Mopar, it's a 69 Ford Galaxie, here's a convertible version. The wagon is a 56 Ford Parklane based upon the trim level.

b36960c56e_640.jpg
Cheers! đź‘Ť

Ugh. I mean, I appreciate the fact that it's an "original" custom--and I appreciate the effort (if misplaced as far as I'm concerned) that went into it--but I still never got much out of the style. Real hot rods (less is more) are much more my speed.

Real hot rod.
GPhotrod2.jpg

"I'm going to do something really wacky to get noticed" poser-mobile.
100_0548.jpg

Real hot rod.
Image.005.jpg

Blah blah blah blah blah.
RR-129.jpg

Real hot rod.
California-Roadster-Hot-Rod-021.jpg

Driven for 70 years only to not be driven in the next 70 years.
foose-magnatude-1.jpg

I'm done. :lol:

Ugh. I mean, I appreciate the fact that it's an "original" custom--and I appreciate the effort (if misplaced as far as I'm concerned) that went into it--but I still never got much out of the style. Real hot rods (less is more) are much more my speed.

Real hot rod.
GPhotrod2.jpg

"I'm going to do something really wacky to get noticed" poser-mobile.
100_0548.jpg

Real hot rod.
Image.005.jpg

RR-129.jpg

Real hot rod.
California-Roadster-Hot-Rod-021.jpg

Driven for 70 years only to not be driven in the next 70 years.
foose-magnatude-1.jpg

I'm done. :lol:
All of them are impossibly awesome.

The third one could do with some new rims though.

The third one could do with some new rims though.
The fact that they were new in the '30s doesn't count? :P

I'm on the fence with this one. Cycle fenders make me drool uncontrollably, and points for the use of an MG windshield, but it's a bit overdone (while masquerading as bare-bones) and entirely too gimmicky. Then there's the fact that it appears to have been a gennie convertible--if you're going to do that much cutting anyway, use a 5-window for crying out loud...

dsc03758.jpg

Edit: I retract the comment on the convertible, sedan is more likely the case. Hangin' rope is back in the drawer. :P

The fact that they were new in the '30s doesn't count? :P

I'm on the fence with this one. Cycle fenders make me drool uncontrollably, and points for the use of an MG windshield, but it's a bit overdone (while masquerading as bare-bones) and entirely too gimmicky. Then there's the fact that it appears to have been a gennie convertible--if you're going to do that much cutting anyway, use a 5-window for crying out loud...

dsc03758.jpg
Whoops, messed up. :lol: I meant the sixth one, the one you said probably won't be driven for 70 years.

Looks great to me.

RR-129.jpg

That thing has been in the low 9s in the quarter for years and actually gets driven on the street- something that probably can't be said for the "real" hot rods (and especially not for Magnuson's car- it was trailered for most of the Power Tour it went on and was only driven for a handful of miles when it went on the tour). This thing has a 427 SBC that runs on alcohol with mechanical fuel injection. The owner for years has discussed building a turbo LS for it, but it still has that alky-fed small block.

That thing has been in the low 9s in the quarter for years and actually gets driven on the street- something that probably can't be said for the "real" hot rods (and especially not for Magnuson's car- it was trailered for most of the Power Tour it went on and was only driven for a handful of miles when it went on the tour). This thing has a 427 SBC that runs on alcohol with mechanical fuel injection. The owner for years has discussed building a turbo LS for it, but it still has that alky-fed small block.
That's all well and good, but it's just too far beyond silly for me. It's not even a lack of appreciation for performance on the strip--I raced a (my only car at the time, you'd better believe it was street legal) '67 Beetle sunroof with a 190hp 2275cc Weber IDA'd screamer under the lid for a couple of years. The whole mock barn find paint and mismatched bodywork look was my primary target.

Magnuson's roadster wasn't referred as a real hot rod (it looks like you may have gotten the impression it was) either, hence the comment on it never being driven. And to be fair, it likely has a handformed body that was finished months before the paint seen on it currently was applied, so it indeed wouldn't have been driven for 70 years, but again I was referring to the aesthetic.

Last edited:

Isn't that exactly what he's trying to say though? Whichever way you look at it it is far more over the top than the "classic" hot rod style.

Isn't that exactly what he's trying to say though? Whichever way you look at it it is far more over the top than the "classic" hot rod style.
And it's all entirely my opinion. I don't hold it against anyone for liking them, and I can even appreciate the effort that went into them. That little comment at the end of the picture post was even put there to acknowledge the whole thing was a bit of a rant. :P

Magnuson's roadster wasn't referred as a real hot rod (it looks like you may have gotten the impression it was) either, hence the comment on it never being driven.

I was specifically referring to the Highboy when I said real hot rod. I brought up Magnuson's car by itself because I know it for a fact isn't a real street car. Just the body itself IIRC was $100,000. You and I will have to disagree on aesthetics though, I guess. I personally prefer the over the top crazy stuff because it stands out from the crowd. I do understand your rant, but at the same time, the rat rods of today are more or less the same highboys and lowboys of yore as those were hated because of being so radical even with paint back then when they were first built.

the rat rods of today are more or less the same highboys and lowboys of yore as those were hated because of being so radical even with paint back then when they were first built.

Of course not. Back then hot rods were not built with oxidized panels and crude welding not to get attention as many rat rods -I prefer shock rods- do today, that was because the guys that built them back in the day did not have money for paint or for something better, and worked with what they had, however they could. Remember, hot rodding came of age during the post-depression era. Kids could not afford anything but old model As and Ts and worked those to make them faster.

And hot rods were not hated back then because they were "radical", whatever the hell you meant with that -specially in the context of the 40s and 50s-, they were hated because outlaw street racing gave the entire hobby a bad rep everywhere, as bvack then they were just old cars being dangerously raced on the streets by punks, hot rodding had not spawned the culture that gives it its identity. It was well under way, but not yet.

Last edited:
Remember, hot rodding came of age during the post-depression era. Kids could not afford anything but old model As and Ts and worked those to make them faster.
Hot rodding I really appreciate was old at that point. What really gets my motor running is heavily stripped street cars (no trunks in addition to no fenders) with owner-cast OHV heads and mismatched drivetrain components to get the most out of the least.
You and I will have to disagree on aesthetics though, I guess.
As I said, it's my opinion and I respect the rights of others to have their own. ;)

Hot rodding I really appreciate was old at that point. What really gets my motor running is heavily stripped street cars (no trunks in addition to no fenders) with owner-cast OHV heads and mismatched drivetrain components to get the most out of the least.

Well, if we kinda start digging the origins of modified automobiles, we'll get to the 999 Ford. You just gotta draw a starting line. I'd say that the T roadsters with 20 inch Buffalo wheels, stripped fenders and hand-cast OHV heads running in oval tracks and such are kinda the precursors to hot rods, I wouldn't call them hot rods because they were lacking that cultural element that started developing after the war.

You just gotta draw a starting line.
:P

As far as I'm concerned, it starts with the first person to buy a car built for nobody in particular--built to be sold--and proceeded to modify it for performance. Yeah, that was quite some time ago.

:P

As far as I'm concerned, it starts with the first person to buy a car built for nobody in particular--built to be sold--and proceeded to modify it for performance. Yeah, that was quite some time ago.

Yes, but you can't call that a hot rod.

Latest Posts

Back