How I USED to make 5,000,000 credits/hour through Custom Races... using a Fiat. But not anymore.

race details? your car? are you using rubberbands or playing yourself?
Nope no rubberbands here I like doing my own racing.:)

Its this setup.

You also need to have the 400% Bonus from the CE.

Is there anything that can be changed in the setup to get the Tommys to run faster but not be over-powering? I'd like them to hit 180mph max so I don't have to do constant overtakes every 5 laps.

Is there anything that can be changed in the setup to get the Tommys to run faster but not be over-powering? I'd like them to hit 180mph max so I don't have to do constant overtakes every 5 laps.
Just change the gear ratios so they top out at 180.

Relative unknown nature of this grind is spreading like wildfire on YouTube and every Social Media with GT7 audience. This isn't for the select few "in the know" and it's honestly a shame that not everyone gets in on the deal. Gonna be interesting to see how they will fix it since it seems to be rooted in something deeper.
The best way I can see to sort the issue out (outside of outright re-nerfing the custom race payouts, which would result in disastrous levels of backlash) would be to sort out how the game calculates grids and payouts depending on your car. Currently it's relying on the stock PP of each car, which leads to stuff like this.

Images or something on what they should look like maybe? I'm 💩 at tuning, no joke.
I’m in a race right now but when you tune the gear the second number is the top speed of gear. Like “#####/75” tops at 75kph. IIRC slider to right lowers speed. Do it for each individual gear with full racing transmission.

Images or something on what they should look like maybe? I'm 💩 at tuning, no joke.
I can't send pictures at the moment, but you just need to adjust it so that rhe top speed reads 180 or whatever speed you want it to top out at.

Last edited:
I know what you might be thinking as you read the title of this thread - there's no way this guy actually made decent money using the Custom Races, right? Throughout the GT community, their payouts have been mocked and derided ever since the game's launch, and even now they remain a laughing stock for all who have played GT7. But I'm here to tell you... there is a little-known way to cheat the system, and actually make some decent bank from Custom Races.

Disclaimer - this "exploit" is entirely reliant on a few select engine swaps, so if you're missing those, you're pretty much out of luck. Here are a few of the cars that are viable for this trick:

• Abarth 595 with K20 swap
  • Willys Jeep with Hellcat swap
  • Volkswagen 1200 or SambaBus with M64/03 swap

The reason these vehicles are suitable is because the game bases the payout of Custom Races on your vehicle's stock PP, which flies completely out of the window once engine swaps get involved. You may have noticed that when applying the Random grid option, the game fills the grid with cars of a similar level to a stock version of the car you're driving, even if you've upgraded it to its utmost limits - the same system applies to the payouts as well.

As for your car's tune, you'll need a setup that is both fast on straights, and stable in corners. This trick is mainly focused on oval tracks, such as Route X, Daytona and Northern Isle (Daytona provides the best results), so make sure your tune is capable of taking on banked turns. For reference, here is the tune I use for my Abarth:

View attachment 1247965
View attachment 1247966

Once you've got your car swapped and kitted out, you're gonna need to get out your Tomahawk X (if you've got one; if you don't, just grab one for a million - you'll be making it back soon enough anyway), which naturally provides the highest payout, being the highest-PP opponent possible. You'll need to apply the following tune to it:

View attachment 1247967
View attachment 1247968

This tune utterly destroys the Tomahawk's speed and handling potential, thus rendering it an ineffective opponent. Next, go to Daytona Tri-Oval, and begin creating a Custom Race.

In the settings screen, the only settings you'll need to adjust are those that affect your money-making potential. These are as follows:

Race Type - Lap
No. of Laps - Anything below 26 (as that is where diminishing returns start to kick in)
No. of Cars - 20
Starting Grid - 20
Start Type - Rolling Start (gets you up to speed quicker)
Boost - Off
Nitrous Usage Time Multiplier - 10.0x
Rival Difficulty - Professional Level

Next, go to your grid settings, and fill the grid with your newly neutered Tomahawks. Once all this is done, you're pretty much ready to race!
Simply make sure you avoid hitting any opponents (wallriding is fine) and you should be good to go. With each lap averaging around 44-45 seconds in the Abarth, and each lap awarding 7,936 credits (11,904 with the clean race bonus) I managed to make over 950,000 credits per hour.

Of course, this still pales in comparison to the payouts of the Big Four, but for a Custom Race? Utterly unprecedented. I look forward to seeing how some of you may optimise this grind even further, and perhaps even write a script for it!
Just tried it. Good but I don’t like to pop wheelies at 300kph or ride walls, so here’s what I did.
A) give you car a turning chance. Rear up to 105. Front stabilizer down to 7. Max front aero. Minimum back. Open the front AND the back by 0.10. Max speed up a bit too cause you’ll be going full flat all the time. In addition you may tweak the diff acc, soften front springs and rear camber to fine tune to your liking.
B) give the tommy 300kmh. This way you’ll be entertained for 4 or 5 laps passing them. Then manage the 5s gap with the nitro on the straights (no point boosting past 340). Instead of chancing a crash every other lap.

That’s my morning work done (including getting circuit experience gold for max payout), now to grind the afternoon away (with a car that actually turns) with clean racing bonuses.

EDIT: Oh it's a 21m run I think, with 43s low laps. From memory. If anyone wants i'll share setup and screenshots.

Cheers

Last edited:
Auto-adjust the transmission to the lowest possible Top Speed, then go to Manually Adjust and slide 7th gear or Final towards the right until it shows the desired speed (for example, 233 kph in 7th gear in my 2nd screenshot)

Edit: I just noticed I had done these steps for the S VGT instead of X VGT (and wondering why I got 100-200k less per race). For the X VGT, first manually set Final to the left-most value, then auto-adjust speed to lowest, then manually adjust Final back towards the right to get it within the 200-300 kph range

Attachments

• 1699108728097.png
    1699108728097.png
    65 KB · Views: 14
  • 1699108749050.png
    1699108749050.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Why would they nerf this? It’s not like it’s an official race like the Tokyo race glitch. This is just messing with tuning in a custom race. Which is the point of tuning and messing around?

Almost 2m for just 24 minutes.:lol:

Good times, good times.:cheers:
View attachment 1300640
Something tells me you can easily hit 100M in a weekend with this method. Time to buy the LFA in all 31 colors and reload those credits in a day.

Also, is there any way to nerf the Tomahawks any more? Those guys like to run wide on the straight leading to the finish line and my Abarth occasionally taps one causing me to lose the CRB. I want those cars so nerfed that they fear going any faster than 60mph.

BTW, I rubber band and just auto grind this while I do other things with my life so I would like a sure fire way to get those Tomahawks to stay down at the inside of the track.

I was wondering this; @hyperspeed980 is there a reason why the original tunes are set up to ride the walls? I know most of the payout is related to the stock PP of the cars, but I'm assuming increasing the tuned PP lowers the payout?
Cause they can’t tune 🤣
Sorry… just kidding.
I believe it was a first attempt, a proof of concept.

Just made a 18m run, all low 43s only overtook the tommys at the start, mostly flat after that (minus the occasional lapse of concentration).

Attachments

• IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 11
Honestly, if the economy stays like this - I think 4-5 million an hour is absolutely perfect for endgame content. 5 hours to earn the most expensive cars in the game is (in my opinion) completely reasonable, and you have to have a good collector level and have completed the circuit experience to make use of the benefits to begin with.

I really hope this isn't patched because this is the perfect solution to the economy, it's not an unreasonably high amount of money and requires effort to get there in the first place. This is the amount of money you should've always been earning per hour once you've reached endgame.

This is objectively way worse gameplay than running the big 3 but perfect for credits per hour.

I hope they patch this and apply the same dollar per distance across all events to make them equally lucrative.

Last edited:
Something tells me you can easily hit 100M in a weekend with this method. Time to buy the LFA in all 31 colors and reload those credits in a day.

Also, is there any way to nerf the Tomahawks any more? Those guys like to run wide on the straight leading to the finish line and my Abarth occasionally taps one causing me to lose the CRB. I want those cars so nerfed that they fear going any faster than 60mph.

BTW, I rubber band and just auto grind this while I do other things with my life so I would like a sure fire way to get those Tomahawks to stay down at the inside of the track.
I tried to rubber band but my Abarth ends up going slower and slower along the wall that the Tommy’s catch up snd pass it. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Did the exact setup for both the abarth snd tommy from the first post.

I tried to rubber band but my Abarth ends up going slower and slower along the wall that the Tommy’s catch up snd pass it. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Did the exact setup for both the abarth snd tommy from the first post.
Make sure you’ve set their transmissions to limit their top speed. Anything below 100km/h is fine as your car will be lapping twice as fast. I use my 25 anniversary Red Bull but any 950pp + car will do.

Here's a video of me in my beetle grinding today

I saw the same behaviour now in three different runs. With nxgti35's Abarth 595 tune, I found that limiting the Tomahawks to around 253 kph seems to be the sweet spot to 1) not lap them and 2) them not overtaking you. You will gain a few seconds towards half of the race, then lose a few seconds until the end.

I wrapped a lanyard around the controller to only slightly push the thumbstick off center to the right.

Last edited:
Make sure you’ve set their transmissions to limit their top speed. Anything below 100km/h is fine as your car will be lapping twice as fast. I use my 25 anniversary Red Bull but any 950pp + car will do.

Here's a video of me in my beetle grinding today

Thats pretty cool.Do they always give you enough room on the outside when on the straight?I was worried about doing it with an elastic band,when it came to pass them on the straight I dint want them to crowd me and lose me my CRB.

Thanks to this method my launch PS4 and Pro have been called back to active duty, both took turns doing the grind today while the PS5 is now reserved for actual driving duty

For those of you that are fans of our brand-new "snowval", here's a Japanese grinding guide using the swapped Willys Jeep against a field of Escudos.

Thats pretty cool.Do they always give you enough room on the outside when on the straight?I was worried about doing it with an elastic band,when it came to pass them on the straight I dint want them to crowd me and lose me my CRB.
I don’t use an elastic band but a piece of plastic that holds the steering about 25% (you can just see it on the video) plus have steering assist set to strong. I don’t think I’ve ever got the CRB but I don’t think I hit the cars. I stream so I can keep an eye on it while I’m working on another room

First of all, many thanks to this thread for informing people of a massive, game changing disturbance in grinding. The logic of the exploit is the main message, because one can apply that logic to make a very profitable grinding event according to everyone's own taste. I happened to enjoy the Tokyo 600pp event very much, but if this method was available from the beginning, my 18 months with this game would have been quite different.

I am a Nordschleife enthusiast through and through, but there has been very little incentive to drive it in GT7, short of a couple of very tasty lap time challenges. But I just spent half an hour setting up this custom event that already nets me ~40% more credits per minute than my best Tokyo grind setup (no wall riding, because I like driving even when grinding). That is far, far less than the scenario being discussed here, but for me personally, the pain/gain ratio is sooo much better.

Here's what I have at the moment: Nürburgring 24h layout. The Tomahawk setup is only nerfed by gear ratios. My car is Mazda 3 with 787 engine swap. Mazda tune is very rough, suspension still heavily based on a sports hard tune I had for Tokyo before.

The 24h layout gives you plenty space to get through the Tomahawk swamp within a couple of straights. Then you can concentrate on just driving. Being just one lap, you never have to worry about the traffic since. The driving is also quite intense, so it's good to get a break after 8 minutes. But more than that, this Mazda and Nordschleife are FUN. Haven't checked all options on hiking the price money even higher, and there is definitely more optimization in the race time, but just wanted to put this out there as a reminder that the custom race world is now our oyster. Don't just grind, have some crazy, variable fun while doing it!

18b9c3fa89267-screenshotUrl.jpg

18b9c3ed3bc88-screenshotUrl.jpg

18b9c3f1f1e43-screenshotUrl.jpg

18b9c3f63da60-screenshotUrl.jpg

Back