If you could redesign career mode...

• Thread starter DodgySyrup
  • 56 comments
England
England
So, let's say first off you aren't completely sold on the cafe system etc...and you were in charge at PD when the game was being designed - what would you have done differently?

Now, I know there will be some Gran Turismo purists who feel certain things aren't true to the history and ethos of PD vision.

But, I feel like it could have benefited from a more conventional campaign.
I would have the game starting with a license test that you complete, and then you gain access to a series of championships.

They could be similar in nature to the current system, so Japanese hot hatch then American muscle cars etc...

You win each mini championship of 2 or 3 races, are rewarded with a car, then you move to the next tier of license tests and repeat.
Each tier becomes progressively more challenging, with the reward becoming better and better.
You'd also have one off invites where there's an opportunity to win top tier prizes that are among the most expensive in the game.

The tuning system would be there, but the multiplayer and daily races wouldn't allow the current exploits, obviously.

After completing all license tests and the subsequent championships you are then invited to a series of ultra competitive events which have various extra challenges like hit track markers at the apex, or get 3 laps in q row each faster than the one before, get the fastest lap, all stuff to earn extra credits, and give rewards for clean racing etc...the usual that is already on offer in some ways.
There would also be daily invites that would offer you the chance to race the classic cars and give you the chance to win parts and exclusive livery items.

You could win a different part each day, like engine day one, body day two, wheel day three etc...and if you log in everyday and win all the challenges on day 5 you get enough parts to build the whole car.

Ultimately, this isn't an especially original departure from standard racing game structure, but I think it would be more intuitive and engrossing than the current offering.

That being said, is there anything you'd like to see improved or done away with, a particular structure etc...?

Last edited:
Start with enough credits to buy a used and crappy car.

Have access to everything (but with limitations like licences required or restrictions on the car needed for each event)

Win only money when racing.

Upgrade or sell the crappy car to get a less crappy one
Buy cars needed for some events as soon as I have enough money

Enter the licences when I need one to do the other events after Sunday Cup/ Clubman Cup style beginner events.

Win cars when doing championship, not for single races.
Win cars when bronzing/silvering/golding mission challenges, licences, circuit experience

The prize cars have to be closely related to the event that wins them.

No roulette, no invitations. Used cars dealer with a wider stock of cars. Ability to buy anything at Brand Central and Legendary cars if I have the money.

Good prize money proportionnal to the difficulty of the event.

Throw it out, and replace it with the best events of the other games. Three to four times bigger than what it currently is. No menu books, no sorting by circuit. No prize cars for getting third, no prize cars for individual races. No insultingly low payouts. Endurance events for every (asphalt) track.

Last edited:
I like the Menus, it's good fun, informative and structures the early hours of the game.

What I would do, is add a GT League icon to the map which has all the events and championships that are desired. Blending GT4/5/S together. Would make a much deeper experience without damaging what the Cafe is and does.

redesign menus for starters, they are horrible to navigate and remove 2-3 lap races all together, add qualifying, since everyone seems to keep pushing this is a sim
Would you like much longer races in the regular career mode?

Similarly as others have stated:
  1. Unlock all events and tracks from the beginning, the only criteria should be to have an eligible car and license
  2. Get rid of the talking heads
  3. Get rid of lootbox mechanics, get fixed rewards for races instead (perhaps weighed by PP of your car)
  4. Ability to sell cars
  5. More variety in used cars, witch cheap rides that need fixing up or come with aesthetic damage
  6. Permanent damage to cars that you need to fix for money
  7. No free retries for races
  8. Qualifying and practice sessions for each race event
  9. And most importantly get rid of the egregious invites. All cars should be available permanently without an expiration date in brand central.

So, let's say first off you aren't completely sold on the cafe system etc...and you were in charge at PD when the game was being designed - what would you have done differently?

Now, I know there will be some Gran Turismo purists who feel certain things aren't true to the history and ethos of PD vision.

But, I feel like it could have benefited from a more conventional campaign.
I would have the game starting with a license test that you complete, and then you gain access to a series of championships.

They could be similar in nature to the current system, so Japanese hot hatch then American muscle cars etc...

You win each mini championship of 2 or 3 races, are rewarded with a car, then you move to the next tier of license tests and repeat.
Each tier becomes progressively more challenging, with the reward becoming better and better.
You'd also have one off invites where there's an opportunity to win top tier prizes that are among the most expensive in the game.

The tuning system would be there, but the multiplayer and daily races wouldn't allow the current exploits, obviously.

After completing all license tests and the subsequent championships you are then invited to a series of ultra competitive events which have various extra challenges like hit track markers at the apex, or get 3 laps in q row each faster than the one before, get the fastest lap, all stuff to earn extra credits, and give rewards for clean racing etc...the usual that is already on offer in some ways.
There would also be daily invites that would offer you the chance to race the classic cars and give you the chance to win parts and exclusive livery items.

You could win a different part each day, like engine day one, body day two, wheel day three etc...and if you log in everyday and win all the challenges on day 5 you get enough parts to build the whole car.

Ultimately, this isn't an especially original departure from standard racing game structure, but I think it would be more intuitive and engrossing than the current offering.

That being said, is there anything you'd like to see improved or done away with, a particular structure etc...?
after the first couple of sunday cup-esque races in hatchbacks... please one singular race that actually requires some thought process or strategy regarding tyres or fuel. a single race that doesn't involves chasing the rabbit. oneshot qualification prior to races.

after the first couple of sunday cup-esque races in hatchbacks... please one singular race that actually requires some thought process or strategy regarding tyres or fuel. a single race that doesn't involves chasing the rabbit. oneshot qualification prior to races.
You mean a race that requires some tactics, fuel saving, tyre management...that sort of thing?

First I’d include several early events like Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, K-Cars, etc. where players could earn credits to buy and upgrade their first few used cars. Logical event regulations and decent payouts to keep things engaging and fun.

Then at XP level 10 I’d unlock the National B license, and completing that would open events like FF, FR, MR, 4WD, Mazda Roadster Cup, Type R etc. and with moderate PP regulations and higher credits payouts. More Sunday Cup / Classic and Clubman Cup+ and events with higher payouts and stricter regulations.

At XP level 20 National A license would unlock, and completing it would unlock JDM specific events such ad Rotary Power, Nissan Z, Supra, GT-R, Evo vs. WRX, etc. with intermediate PP regulations and higher credits payouts. More FF, FR, MR and 4WD events with higher payouts and stricter regulations.

At XP level 35… You probably get the idea. Simply an evolving journey with lots of interesting stuff to do at all times. All five licenses would play a part in unlocking more intense events, culminating with the Super License unlocking Gr. 1 events.

I have no idea why PD doesn’t want to make such a game in 2022. Some might say the café campaign of GT7 does most of this stuff, but extremely linear progress, cringeworthy presentation and lack of variety / too few events in general ruins it. The café could have worked as a side quest alongside a traditional GT campaign.

Some might say the café campaign of GT7 does most of this stuff, but extremely linear progress, cringeworthy presentation and lack of variety / too few events in general ruins it. The café could have worked as a side quest alongside a traditional GT campaign.
Plus it continuously feeds you with cars (of which you may not have any interest). I have already 17% of the long list of cars, and I only bought 3 (and could have bought only one if I decided to). Of course some of the prize cars allowed me to further café events, but that's not how I would have prefered it to be.

First I’d include several early events like Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, K-Cars, etc. where players could earn credits to buy and upgrade their first few used cars. Logical event regulations and decent payouts to keep things engaging and fun.

Then at XP level 10 I’d unlock the National B license, and completing that would open events like FF, FR, MR, 4WD, Mazda Roadster Cup, Type R etc. and with moderate PP regulations and higher credits payouts. More Sunday Cup / Classic and Clubman Cup+ and events with higher payouts and stricter regulations.

At XP level 20 National A license would unlock, and completing it would unlock JDM specific events such ad Rotary Power, Nissan Z, Supra, GT-R, Evo vs. WRX, etc. with intermediate PP regulations and higher credits payouts. More FF, FR, MR and 4WD events with higher payouts and stricter regulations.

At XP level 35… You probably get the idea. Simply an evolving journey with lots of interesting stuff to do at all times. All five licenses would play a part in unlocking more intense events, culminating with the Super License unlocking Gr. 1 events.

I have no idea why PD doesn’t want to make such a game in 2022. Some might say the café campaign of GT7 does most of this stuff, but extremely linear progress, cringeworthy presentation and lack of variety / too few events in general ruins it. The café could have worked as a side quest alongside a traditional GT campaign.
I think you are right.

PD made some decisions that work, and others that don't.

I think the U.I was designed for use with a mouse, which is odd because it's a console exclusive.

Plus it continuously feeds you with cars (of which you may not have any interest). I have already 17% of the long list of cars, and I only bought 3 (and could have bought only one if I decided to). Of course some of the prize cars allowed me to further café events, but that's not how I would have prefered it to be.
Yes, basically GT is a linear game now, where you race cars you don't want to own, on tracks you don't like.

Make the Cafe menus optional of which menu to choose (or cancel), y'know like what actually you'd do at cafes, not being directed (other than recommendations) of which menu to order. Not lowering the significance of Cafe but keeping the game's sandbox format.

Make every of the game menus/features open from the beginning as well.

Shortcut menus like GT1/GT2. As well as pick any Licenses (not just next License) in the GT menu.

Actually return Practice/Qualifying and adding more/choose to have grid starts with false starts (or proper rolling starts) after getting actual good AI. Unknown if they'd do this later when their AI stopped sucking (and grid starts are in those races).

Give more strict limits like year restriction for Sunday Cup Classic. More PP limits to Cafe events as well. More regulations on races like Gr. ones if needed.

Each events have offline and online choice, where if it's offline, it progresses just like in previous games, and if it's online, you are placed in a Room to wait until all the race grids are filled with other players.

Allow to pick Championship individual races like GT3-GT6.

Unknown if this deliberately not the peak (seems that the GT World Championship also used lower level cars here) but increase the event scales like having 10 races for Championship.

Option to fast forward on 1 Lap Magics.

Used Cars only contain cars below 2001 that isn't worthy for Legend Cars.

Allow to sell cars, not just discard, moreover the prize cars here can only be won once.

Easier but still rare way to obtain parts like Engine Swaps.

Find a way to make it playable offline.
That'd also did away of the sandbox aspect of GT that you gotta complete all the race tier in that License before moving on... that's GT6....
Win cars when doing championship, not for single races.
GT2 was the game that also gives prize cars for single races.

I don't know if you've been already not into GT's prize cars before, but though games other than GT2 gives prize cars after completing a series of races, they're there in every races, not just Championships.

Last edited:
m76
you race cars you don't want to own, on tracks you don't like.
Well I have to admit that career, missions and licences have forced me onto tracks I didn't like, cars I wouldn't have drove (GTS and GT7, as previous GT titles).

But it has been for my own good as I learnt to like most of them as I was getting better with or on them 😉

GT2 was the game that also gives prize cars for single races.
It's been a while since I've played GT2. But here I just tell what I would like to get. Regardless of how it is or has been in other games.

I don't have anything against the cafe setup. Yeah, it's a little silly, but whatever, principle is essentially the same as in older games. My issue is the very limited amount of races, but most importantly the very strict country requirements for races. What if I want to race my GT350 at Spa? I can't do that! This is silly in 2022. If I want to race mostly* any car on a track, I have to do the silly 10 lap races with 8x gas/tire wear. I don't wanna do that, I just wanna be able to grab a car and go race 3-5 laps on a track I want. Why does that seem like too much to ask for?!

I still have the feeling that I accepted an internship and that I'm doing all sorts of things for the bossman: Yo dude, go and collect some Nissans for me. Fine, now bring me some BMW's and when you are finished go and see if you can fit a wide body kit on my car...

Why not just start with 20.000 credits and let us do our thing like in every other numbered GT game?

This
m76
Similarly as others have stated:
  1. Unlock all events and tracks from the beginning, the only criteria should be to have an eligible car and license
  2. Get rid of the talking heads
  3. Get rid of lootbox mechanics, get fixed rewards for races instead (perhaps weighed by PP of your car)
  4. Ability to sell cars
  5. More variety in used cars, witch cheap rides that need fixing up or come with aesthetic damage
  6. Permanent damage to cars that you need to fix for money
  7. No free retries for races
  8. Qualifying and practice sessions for each race events.
Let's not forget about BSpec and building a Team of drivers
Also where are the ****ing Endurance races.

Wasn't this supposed to be GT7 not GTS2

This

Let's not forget about BSpec and building a Team of drivers
Also where are the ****ing Endurance races.

Wasn't this supposed to be GT7 not GTS2
B-Spec:

copy paste GT4 events
This is really all that was required.
Not a single person would have bought GT7 and then complained that it was “the same set of races we got in GT4”.

If it were an identical list we would have all, to a man, rejoiced.

It’s almost as if Kaz doesn’t know his customers. Every single one of us could have created a much better single player experience if we were given the opportunity. Every single one of us. So how does he manage to get it so wrong? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
But he's Kaz, he knows what's good for us, even if we don't know. GT8 will be only music rally, with photos of cars that we will have to click whether they are 4RM, FF, FR and so on. :D

The Career mode is just fine, IMHO. It's interesting and you don't get bored finishing it with the cafe mission, I really like and enjoy it, the way it was. After that, you have so much more to do in the game.

1.Hunting trophies
2.Make money.
3.Expand your car collection
4.Be better at Daily Races
5.Golden all the circuit experience, though you don't have a trophy for that
6.Colden your License tests
7.Cold your missions
8.Make cool livery for your favorite car/s
9.Have fun in multiplayer with your friend.

And so on.......

Last edited:

I think you are right.

PD made some decisions that work, and others that don't.

I think the U.I was designed for use with a mouse, which is odd because it's a console exclusive.

As players, as consumers, we generally want flexibility.

We want to the freedom to do what we want, how we want, when we want.
PD had a particular vision, a linear progression path, which forces you to race cars you aren't really interested in, at tracks which don't always suit the car, and there is no way around it.

Don't want to play through the cafe section?

Then you can't play multiplayer, you can't tune cars, or make or reuse your GT Sport liveries etc...
The entire game is built into the cafe system progression, so you have no choice.

Not particularly interested in the campaign and just want to race other players in the multiplayer?

Sorry, not possible.

However, what can a developer really do?

It's their vision, and they have to make the game that is true to them...that, and everyone complained after GT Sport that it had no old skool GT single player.

They gave us that, and now people are complaining.

Such is life.

Last edited:
It's their vision, and they have to make the game that is true to them...that, and everyone complained after GT Sport that it had no old skool GT single player.

They gave us that, and now people are complaining.
It is not difficult to please everybody. You can have a much less directive campaign and not tie some basic functionnalities to the progress of said campaign (like multiplayer for example). We are not stuck between two options that cannot be built otherwise.

Back