Improved Engine Sound

• Thread starter SammyXp
  • 194 comments
I just saw the vid of GTHD with the Ferrari. It sounds downright aweful, PD should be ashamed, and Ferrari should be as well, a Ferrari engine sound is trademark stuff, no other car maker can reproduce those sounds. PGR has always done Ferrari justice, and of course FM1 was also good, but TDU was a bit bland but nowhere near as crappy as GTHD. I can't believe it.:ouch:

Funny also while browsing Turn10s FM2 site( these guys actually have a forum that they read for the fans) I found this neat little section http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/dyno/. Its a page that has about 7 different stories of cars that Turn10 DYNO runs to get teh sound correct and audio clips from them. Most contain 4 audio clips with kinda of a test to see if you can pick out wich clip is which car. Very nice stuff, as I have seen others diacuss PD doing this very thing to get its sound right. Enjoy the one with the blue Corvette, it has soundbytes from other muscle cars and shows us just what a real life muscle car sounds like, how any of these will translate into the game I do'nt know, but at least they are taking the right steps.

This link takes you directly to teh second page of Turn10s first Dyno run, it didn't work out as teh BMW was having problems but explains very well why and how the sound i recorded on the dyno, very deep indeed. http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/dyno/dyno01-2.htm

Well... it's too late for the PS3 and GT. I guess I'm officially gone. Regardless of actual realism and simulation these racing games are just that games and if it doesn't motivate the person to WANT to play the game then I have to move on. I can't wait for those guys to get their act together for the 5th time.

PGR3 has been really fun and I'm pretty sure Forza won't disappoint. If that doesn't cover it then there's always Forza 2.

Its just annoying that so many people and fans of GT have great ideas and good criticisms for PD to take into account, but they don't. Turn10 does listen to its fans on their own forum. Now Forza and GT are pretty different but I love that Turn10 listens and has a place for our input to gp that they can read it. Sorry your DWA, I will get a PS3 eventually and have GT5 I'm pretty sure, its hopefully gonna be different from its predecessors in all areas. If not I to would maybe consider not buying it, but If I have a PS3 it will probably be mine.

Hello, I'm new here but I know how forums work, well kinda. Anyways I would like to give props to PD for the sound of the Mazda 787B prototype LeMans Racecar. This is in my opinion the most spot on sound in the entire game. Its all there, the distinctive growl of the 4 rotors at idle, and the banshee out of hell scream at redline. I cite, for your listening pleasure, this youtube movie of a real life 787B.

This first one is a start and rev of the car in question

Additionaly this is a recording of lesser quality of the same car at Laguna Seca. The car hits redline coming down the main straight :)))

now that we know they have got some things right, we can discuss the failures. MY first example is the sound of the C5R Factory Chevy Corvette. The engine sounds ok at idle but at any other time it sounds like, well a vacuum cleaner. Again for your listening pleasure here we have a c6R corvette external drive by. Yes I know they are diff cars but they both have a 7 liter pushrod V8!

Now that that has been clarified I can now move on to my final point and that is the sound of the Shelby Cobra 427 """WITH STOCK PIPES"""in game. This sounds like a v8! I feel that PD could have taken the sound of the Cobra 427 and used it for the C5R and anyother Pushrod V8 in game. It would have convinced me! I am profoundly baffled and irritated by the fact they did not use this method.

Mazda 787B prototype LeMans Racecar.
Actually the 787B is/was a Goup C-car not a Le Mans prototype.

However, its not suprising that PD doesnt get sounds right this time, but it still puzzles me why PD cant get sounds right, in GT4 they used 8 cylinder sounds for 12 cylinder engines, and the other way around, some cars shared the engine sounds having totally different engines. _ But most of them sound like vacuum cleaners anyway. :scared:

I understand that its nearly impossible to record every cars engine sounds, but PD could at least record some different V8 and V12 engines to use it on the cars slightly tweaked.

while pd obsesses over their beautiful visuals us fans are starting to get turned off by their lack of progression in others areas. Maybe gt5 will make me eat my words, but in the mean time the pc stuff is where to go 👍

I dont know if there is a thread about this since I havent seen one on the website yet. I am wondering if there will be a better sound engine for GT5 as so far the alot of the cars sound nothing like there real life counterparts. One car which ignores me is the formula cars.

How PD thinks they sound:

In real life they do not have have that turbo whistle, because in real life, they dont have turbos. To be honest, it sounds more like a turbocharged motorbike! And by the way, that was'nt me driving, just needed one to prove my point so I grabbed it of youtube!

How a formula car should sound:

As you can hear, no turbo, no motorbike sound, just plain V8 muscle!

Well i don't know about you but i think it sounds okay.The FGT isn't really a F1 car.Its just a made up open-wheel race car.I don't blame PD if the sounds were terrible.They either don't have the time to record every sound on every car or that they didn't bother to do it in the first place.But if you listened to each of the Japanese cars in the game,each of them sounds different and have a noticeable engine note.

You could actually differentiate between a sound of a RB engine in a Nissan Skyline to the sound of the 2JZ engine in a Toyota Supra to the Boxer engine of the Subaru.Too bad they can't do better sounds for other cars... :grumpy:

You can differentiate cars in game but none of them sound real. Easy small fix would be if they let the player decide on mixing.(to eg. lower road noises a bit)

Engine sounds are one of my major gripes about GT4.

The majority sound pretty similar, which is not really the case in real life.

I reckon even I could tell the difference between a TVR straight six and a Renault 4 cylinder.

I think it might be more to do with exhaust note though.

In real life they do not have have that turbo whistle, because in real life, they dont have turbos.

I always thought that whistle was gear box whine from straight cut gears??

Anyway, yes, I've always thought the big american V8s need a bit more growl... I was racing the Shelby GT or whatever it's called (the Mustang one! :P) and it sounded like some sort of 250CC bike... Bleh..

They way I see it is that PD has a tendency for the cars to sound more electronic like japaniese electronically managed engines (you cant blame them as that is what they are used to and what they have to hand and most Japanese cars do sound like that).... rumbling v8's have never really sounded meaty in previous GT's but this seem to be changing,

If you watch the first GT5 Prologue video that was released (the one that starts with the 350z GT car) you can here the dump valve go and the huge gear change slam sound of power from the audi r8 as it pulls away from the camera, that sounded very deep and rumbly...really stirred me for some reason :lol: most of the sounds ive heard so far on the 2 GT5P vids sound good so maybe things are looking up.

Im quite abit more worried about the scenery at the moment, the cars look great but the tracks just look like GT4 in HD!

Robin

I am guessing you have all watched the released videos of GT5 prologue, oh and there are some new screen shots on the Japanese website. Anyway the engine notes are those of the cars in the game and all of them sound pretty real, so I believe they have sorted their act out.

I mean people say that the noises are just dubbed over the pictures, but PD have never done it before with there pervious games so why would they start now when so much is riding on this game

I dont know if there is a thread about this since I havent seen one on the website yet. I am wondering if there will be a better sound engine for GT5 as so far the alot of the cars sound nothing like there real life counterparts. One car which ignores me is the formula cars.

How PD thinks they sound:

In real life they do not have have that turbo whistle, because in real life, they dont have turbos. To be honest, it sounds more like a turbocharged motorbike! And by the way, that was'nt me driving, just needed one to prove my point so I grabbed it of youtube!

How a formula car should sound:

As you can hear, no turbo, no motorbike sound, just plain V8 muscle!

ok the whining is the transmission its called a dog box. they have straight cut gears and they whine. Also the in game car has no turbo nor does it have any turbo sounds. Also turbo motorcycles dont sound like that.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6fd32fca-b94a-46a0-a938-99500145ae87.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1df0d896-5d97-4621-ae30-05058c349f32.htm

I dont know if there is a thread about this since I havent seen one on the website yet.
I've merged your thread with this one. Please search and look around before you create a new thread. Thanks.

I know they don't sound great, apart from the exception that is the Audi le mans car, but do you think that PD will give diesels there distinct sound or do you think they will muck it up again like they did with the BMW 130d in GT4. 👎

I mean from what you can hear on the videos that PD has released of GT5 Prologue so far, the car engine notes seem to have been drastically improved. :)Does this mean that the diesel cars engine notes will have too? Should we bank on the fact that they are improving the cars enormously to really be the ultimate driving simulator game?:sly:

When doing practice runs, sometimes you'll start off with an external view of the car (on the nurb, at least) in the pits when it starts its engine and then goes off.

I'd have to say the ignition of the GT40 (yes kids, the 1969 model is the GT40. The new model is simply the "GT".) is the best sound in the game that I have heard. But once it switches to driving the car, the whine is there and it simply does not have the throat it ought to. If I turn my sound system up I wanna have my damn windows shaking!

I don't feel like starting a new thread so I'll just post my opinion in this one after seeing a couple of gameplay videos of GT5P. Ok, I've yet to hear the game played at a high enough volume in any of these videos to make judgement on the engine sounds. From what I can hear, there seems to be an improvement over GT4 and GT:HD. What I'm going to be complaining about is that god awful tire squeeling sound that PD has been using ever since GT1 is still being used in GT5P!!! What the hell? Is it that hard for them to go out for a day to a track with a couple of different cars and record some samples from a minor loss of traction to an all out tire smoking frenzy?

The graphic looks amazing, the engine sound seems to have been improved. I won't make final judgement on engine sound until I can play it myself and really hear what the cars sounds like on my 5.1 surround sound blasting. The tire sound on the other hand are very apparent and it is apparently the same exact sound as the previous 4 GT games. This, to me, is a huge disappointment because I really do not want my ears bleeding due to this god awful sound when I have my system blasted trying to hear the improved engine sound!

Seriously, does PD really think that's how a car tire sounds like when it's losing traction or peeling out?

I don't think Gran Turismo's tire noise is that bad, but it has certainly gotten old hearing the same thing.

The tyre screech on GTHD is much more realistic, or at least I find it to be. It's not that high pitched noise, but more rubber-like.
I like it.
Not perfect of course, but much better than GT4's.

Idk, the tire sound doesn't really bother me too much either. Sure, it sounds better in other recent games, but as I've said before, I'm waaaaaaay more concerned with the engine sounds. I've heard a few of the recent video's with the Ferrari F430, and i'm definitely impressed thus far, but i think we'll know for sure when the power of an American classic V-8 shakes my house instead of hearing the sound of a vacuum cleaner coming from the other room....PD, please get ALL of them right

As a vivid TopGear fan, I'm not too impressed with that F430, but it could of course be due to the poor quality of the sound in the recorded clips - but still, I'm not "feeling it".

It's still not got that trademark Ferrari V8 scream, but it's much improved over previous GTs. I'm hoping for older, carburetted cars to sound more like their real life counterparts personally.

Idk, the tire sound doesn't really bother me too much either. Sure, it sounds better in other recent games, but as I've said before, I'm waaaaaaay more concerned with the engine sounds. I've heard a few of the recent video's with the Ferrari F430, and i'm definitely impressed thus far, but i think we'll know for sure when the power of an American classic V-8 shakes my house instead of hearing the sound of a vacuum cleaner coming from the other room....PD, please get ALL of them right

I think both are important when it comes to game audio. A realistic tire sound with crappy engine sound will ruin a game more than a crappy tire sound with genuine engine sound but it'll still ruin the overall sound quality of the game. Another one would be car crashes. Remember GT3 when the crashes sounded like someone from PD just took 2 metal blocks and slapped them together and recorded the sound?:lol: I guess I'm a lot more picky than most people when it comes to the little details but, to me, the little details are what seperate a good game from a great game.

As a vivid TopGear fan, I'm not too impressed with that F430, but it could of course be due to the poor quality of the sound in the recorded clips - but still, I'm not "feeling it".

This is the reason why I'm not going to make any final judgement on engine sounds until I hear/see some high quality audio/video of the gameplay without all the stupid music drowning out the game audio. Volume is very important in determining this, in my opinion. A real life F430 is loud at WOT so in order to judge how accurate the F430 in GT5 sounds compared to it's real life counterpart, the volume would have to be turned up to match that of it's real life counterpart at WOT.

Forza 2 has pretty accurate engine sounds compared to any other console racing games but only when I turned the volume up. When I play at night with the volume turned down, the engine sounds are just weak and doesn't sound very realistic. Best engine sound so far in Forza 2, in my opinion, is that of the Porsche Carrera GT. 👍

This is the reason why I'm not going to make any final judgement on engine sounds until I hear/see some high quality audio/video of the gameplay without all the stupid music drowning out the game audio. Volume is very important in determining this, in my opinion. A real life F430 is loud at WOT so in order to judge how accurate the F430 in GT5 sounds compared to it's real life counterpart, the volume would have to be turned up to match that of it's real life counterpart at WOT.

Forza 2 has pretty accurate engine sounds compared to any other console racing games but only when I turned the volume up. When I play at night with the volume turned down, the engine sounds are just weak and doesn't sound very realistic. Best engine sound so far in Forza 2, in my opinion, is that of the Porsche Carrera GT. 👍

Yeah, volume might have alot to do with it too - I imagine theres a big lack of bass notes in those clips too, and bass adds alot of "feel" too.

Back