Israel - Palestine discussion thread

In my long life - far longer than yours - approximately 25% of my very best friends have been Jewish. I slept with a non-observant Jewish woman for 20 years. None of my friends have been Arab, probably my loss. So I obviously have strong affinity for Jewish people. That said, as a secular libertarian, I have mild intellectual objections to authoritarian, militaristic religious nation-states existing and expanding in the modern era of secular, progressive democracies. But as realist, I acknowledge that US and Britain had and still have valid strategic reasons - endorsable by Machiavelli and Sun Tzu - for creating and sustaining Israel against all comers. So Israel Attacks Gaza is a conundrum. And conundrums by definition are amusing; at a safe distance, even fun. Also it is - wait for it - another postmodern factual absurdity, something to get used to.

I didn't think I'd see you slipping into the SJW lingo. Huh.
I didn't imagine you could be so easily triggered, especially by what appears to be a joke. Looks like a first for both of us.

I didn't imagine you could be so easily triggered, especially by what appears to be a joke. Looks like a first for both of us.

Why do you think pushing the same button again will work when it didn't work the first time? Do you think that if you keep saying that I'm triggered it will become true? Or are you just using it as an insult that slides under the AUP?

You know, I'm pretty sure Dotini is old enough and capable enough to defend himself if he feels that he needs it. He's done it before when he's felt that I'm over the line and he'll do it again if he needs to. Why exactly do you keep jumping to his defence? Especially over something like this where his post was what would legitimately be called a :censored:Post in other forums?

He copied and pasted a bunch of garbled rubbish. It was a bad post. I poked fun and we all moved on until you decided that he needed protection from the big bad Imari.

Is there something I'm missing here? Did I offend you in some way? Or have you just taken it on yourself to jump at any chance to turn it into a "LEAVE DOTINI ALONE" situation?

Let's be honest, calling this triggered:

Using Assassins Creed is just fine. I see nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, I think that it's useful for posters to add something of their own instead of simply CTRL+C, CTRL+V-ing their way into a discussion. Famine's post makes people think or have a giggle. Dotini's post makes you crosseyed trying to read the block of unformatted and unspaced text.

...either removes all meaning and context from the word, or you're just trying to be abusive by attempting to lump me in with a bunch of illiterate nerd ragers who somehow think that because they saw something about feminism on Tumblr they somehow have the knowledge and power to tell everyone how they're living their lives wrong.

Why do you think pushing the same button again will work when it didn't work the first time? Do you think that if you keep saying that I'm triggered it will become true? Or are you just using it as an insult that slides under the AUP?

You know, I'm pretty sure Dotini is old enough and capable enough to defend himself if he feels that he needs it. He's done it before when he's felt that I'm over the line and he'll do it again if he needs to. Why exactly do you keep jumping to his defence? Especially over something like this where his post was what would legitimately be called a :censored:Post in other forums?

He copied and pasted a bunch of garbled rubbish. It was a bad post. I poked fun and we all moved on until you decided that he needed protection from the big bad Imari.

Is there something I'm missing here? Did I offend you in some way? Or have you just taken it on yourself to jump at any chance to turn it into a "LEAVE DOTINI ALONE" situation?

Let's be honest, calling this triggered:

...either removes all meaning and context from the word, or you're just trying to be abusive by attempting to lump me in with a bunch of illiterate nerd ragers who somehow think that because they saw something about feminism on Tumblr they somehow have the knowledge and power to tell everyone how they're living their lives wrong.
Sounds like an awful lot of hairsplitting to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/us/politics/trump-israel-peace-emirates-bahrain.html

Could somebody explain this deal to me? If as Trump boasts other Arab nations including Saudi Arabia are poised to normalise relationships with Israel it appears to be at the expense of Palestinians in the occupied territories if I'm reading things right.
I think the main drive for these agreements is the looming threat of Iran (and potentially Turkey). UAE and Bahrain would rather partner with someone who is also against Iran than go it alone. Saudi Arabia is likely 6 to 12 months away from looking to do normalize relations as well.

This is consolidation in the Saudi-Iran Proxy war.

UAE and Bahrain are attached to the Saudis by the hip and it's not really a secret that they have all been siding with Israel in the last few years as they all share a common enemy.

The thing is this is very much a government thing, I very much doubt the people in those countries would support this.

Saudi Arabia would do it already if not for the fact unlike the other two they have a sizable population not dominated by foreigners so it would be harder to get their people to swallow it.

It sounds a long way from the peace and stability in the Middle East the White House is claiming on Trump's behalf.

It may be that Middle East conflict of Sunni versus Shia is infinitely preferable to Western boots on the ground enforcing regime changes.

This is consolidation in the Saudi-Iran Proxy war.

UAE and Bahrain are attached to the Saudis by the hip and it's not really a secret that they have all been siding with Israel in the last few years as they all share a common enemy.

The thing is this is very much a government thing, I very much doubt the people in those countries would support this.

Saudi Arabia would do it already if not for the fact unlike the other two they have a sizable population not dominated by foreigners so it would be harder to get their people to swallow it.
Also Saudi Arabia's King has no appetite to do this at this time. I would not be surprised if the "secret" arrangement continues until MBS is made King. Out of the 3 countries which I'd be surprised at a long term agreement holding, it would be Bahrain.

It's time for full scale shenanigans in the desert again. Lots of rockets onto Israel with quite a few deaths, so expect a serious retaliation against the Palestinians.

1696683433715.png

map

This should make it easier to deal with the conflict.

Not that my opinion matters, but I've got zero sympathy for anybody involved in this conflict or for the entire region. The whole geographical area and society in that part of the country is based on pure religious extremism. Everybody over there has attempted to create ethnic or theocratic states or some combination of those things and it's done nothing but create conflict. They're all idiots and these constant battles are of their own creation. I can't stand that my own government bothers supporting any of the maniacs over there.

Not sure what will come of this but knowing Israel's aggression I'd expect them to simply invade and take over all of Gaza.

Last edited:
Everybody over there
To be fair, when the British whip out a map, and start brandishing a pencil or ruler, someone should call an intervention... but yeah...

Jew or Muslim, grow the **** up, it's fiction and fairytales.

Beware of the Palestinian Airforce.

aeQEMzW_700b.jpg
Not sure about over yonder, but paragliders are somewhat common in the US and because of their ultralight status they don't have to follow the same rules as airplanes. They can fly high enough that you wouldn't be able to see someone carrying a gun, but low and slow enough that you could still effectively shoot into a crowd of people and cause chaos. Hopefully no domestic terrorists are reading this.

Not sure about over yonder, but paragliders are somewhat common in the US and because of their ultralight status they don't have to follow the same rules as airplanes. They can fly high enough that you wouldn't be able to see someone carrying a gun, but low and slow enough that you could still effectively shoot into a crowd of people and cause chaos. Hopefully no domestic terrorists are reading this.
I don't think the Palestinians get away with a second aerial attack. Israel probably already modified the Iron Dome to intercept this type of suicide drone and turn it into bloody sleet.

It feels weird being in what appears to be a minority of people who think Israel sucks and causes its own problems and we shouldn't be supporting them the way we do. I mean hell, apparently even the Empire State Building will be lit up blue and white tonight lol. Get outta here. Britain may have drawn the worst lines possible but Israeli zionists are the ones who decided to accept the challenge of creating an ethno-state.

They could just move to Kansas or something but nooooo.

"Too early to tell" except they admitted to it. But given the weight of this situation, the US really does need to do its due diligence.

The Israeli invasion of Gaza is coming. I have to imagine they're going to erase the border and force Palestinians to integrate. Really not sure what else they could do.

Last edited:
Somehow the Reddit Live thread has posted a Twitter post with an image of a Hezbollah statement and summarized it. I can't seem to link the post, perhaps it was deleted or is blocked.

The Secretary General of Hezbollah, Hassan Nasrallah, has issued a war alert for all combat units in Lebanon and Syria. "The resistance is ready to start the final battle in a united front".
These people are insane terrorist zealots. The Israelis themselves aren't far off, at least they're not blatant terrorists.

Last edited:
I'm sure Iran has their hands in this, via funding and probably some kind of command and control. I'm most surprised that Mossad & the Israeli intelligence state did not see this coming. Palestinians will pay a heavy price in the coming days/weeks.

Back