LCC Rocket Spot Race Series (stock) - March 23rd, 10pm GMTOpen 

• Thread starter MC-Chase
  • 1,113 comments
Thanks for the offer MC, but i think i have work cut out with you guys first!

Brandon, i use to have clubsports which are awesome its true. The thrustmaster is doing a good job though! Ill start experimenting tonight with it.
The clubsports with the loadcell make it way easier and more enjoyable with abs off cause you can turn up the pressure required to get certain breaking pressure in game

@Kalem, nice rig setup. I have the same wheel and recently got the CSR Elite pedals and the (el cheepo) shifter set. The load cell on the brake pedal is great and I LOVE using the sequential shifter!

@H0bbsy, I didn't experiment with no abs much in GT5 but now that I'm very comfortable with the Rocket I plan on giving it a go. With my new pedals running without abs is much easier, the other day I was driving a car around for a while before I realized I had disabled the abs for that car at some point because I suddenly locked them up and slid off the track.....took about 5 laps! In GT5 with my old G27 pedals I would have locked them up in the first turn....and the second turn....and the third turn........you get the point.
Cheers, yeah really enjoying my setup atm, loadcell is great without abs. Built rig myself, took a while but worth it, Perfect driving position. Are the elites almost the same as the clubsport v1's? They look similar

Cheers, yeah really enjoying my setup atm, loadcell is great without abs. Built rig myself, took a while but worth it, Perfect driving position. Are the elites almost the same as the clubsport v1's? They look similar

They're mostly the same, the brake pedal doesn't vibrate and clutch pedal isn't as progressive but that's about the only difference. I can get an inversion kit for them, uses the existing base. :sly:

Here's a pic. I built mine too but it's evolved so much over the last two years and I have all new equipment so I'm planning a complete rebuild this summer.

image.jpg

Here it is with my old G27 pedals and GT5's multi-monitor glory.
image.jpg

They're mostly the same, the brake pedal doesn't vibrate and clutch pedal isn't as progressive but that's about the only difference. I can get an inversion kit for them, uses the existing base. :sly:

Here's a pic. I built mine too but it's evolved so much over the last two years and I have all new equipment so I'm planning a complete rebuild this summer.

View attachment 100598

Here it is with my old G27 pedals and GT5's multi-monitor glory.
View attachment 100599

I always get jealous of these stupid sexy rigs. I wish I could build one.

Give it a go, ive built about 6 rigs now for friends and myself, and gone through many evolutions too.

For sure. I don't have any experience or skills in fabrication, I just built mine to fit my needs out of scrap wood using basic tools. I plan to do the same again once spring comes and I can work on it outside (don't have a garage or work area). I think the total cost of my rig was basically the price of an office chair and computer speaker set (about $40USD). The new one will probably cost a little more but nothing fancy. I do have the luxury of having a dedicated room for it so I don't have to worry about dismantling it or moving it, H0bbsy's example above is a much better solution for those with limited space.

Browse around here for some inspiration if you really are interested in attempting a build.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/sim-racing-hardware.163/

On topic, good practice last night. I apologize if my driving seemed aggressive, I was often caught off guard by other drivers braking points and turn-in points which caused me to bump them or dive around them. There are many ways to get around Autumn Ring so it was just simply two people taking two different lines, I assure you none of my "divebombs" or bumps were intentional. I'm glad I got a chance to practice so I can be aware of this going into the race and be sure to give everyone plenty of room to take whatever line they choose. 👍

Ok I should be working, but following the awesome races i personally had I couldn't help myself!!! Enjoy...

*** Wednesday Night, Rocket Sprints ***

Race 1

Making the most of the free Practice session before the Sprints, gave Nemesis a strong position in qualifying... This and some of the other drivers cars failing post quali scrutineering! ;)

Lining up on the front row for Race 1 was Nemesis-Reaper and MC-Chase in pole, Naptown25rs suffered a grid placement penalty for having the only Blue car on the grid... allegedly!

Autumn Ring.jpg Autumn Ring_2.jpg

With good traction off the line, Nemesis left MC Spinning on the Marbles from the earlier practice session...

Autumn Ring_3.jpg

Robgroove also made a blinding start and immediately put the pressure on Nemesis, leaving MC-Chase back in third spot.

Autumn Ring_4.jpg Autumn Ring_8.jpg

It was not long before Rob had capitalized on this pressure and passed on the downhill straight... unfortunately rob was unable to scrub of his speed before the looping right hander, and lost position dropping him back to 5th spot.

Autumn Ring_12.jpg

This gave MC-Chase a clear track to chase down his target, and the beginnings of a fierce battle for 3rd followed behind.

Autumn Ring_13.jpg Autumn Ring_15.jpg

this battle would soon come to a climax however, as three abreast into the uphill right was never going to end well..

Autumn Ring_17.jpg

MC was quite literally flying to make up lost ground at the start...

Autumn Ring_20.jpg

Extracting every last bit of grip from the tires, he was leaving no room caution

Autumn Ring_23.jpg

The magnets where certainly on now... and it was not long before Nemesis knew it!!!

Autumn Ring_24.jpg Autumn Ring_27.jpg

He managed to hold him off until the back start/finish straight, but was soon dispatched with a clean pass on the inside.
Autumn Ring_30.jpg

then, with a puff of leaves/smoke, he was gone...

Autumn Ring_34.jpg

However the story does not end there... Both MC-Chase and Nemesis-Reaper were found guilty of wreck-less premature celebrations following a stewards inquiry and penalized 1 grid position each.
This handed Naptown25rs the Victory, albeit a "Hollow Victory" as was revealed in the press conference post race. :)

Race 2

Lets not talk about race 2!!! ;)

Race 3
The third and final sprint of the evening may have been short on drivers, but was by no means short on entertainment.

The Smallest grid of the evening, with Naptown25rs to lead us off the line. With our two resident Aliens (BrandonW77 & MC-Chase) back in 3rd and 4th respectively

Autumn Ring_40.jpg

MC-Chase was caught napping by the lights and dropped back to last place, while Naptown held onto 1st with a good launch.

Autumn Ring_43.jpg

It was wheel to wheel racing for 2nd place almost immediately... It was tense stuff, but Nemesis managed to hold off the determined Brandon from several attempts

Autumn Ring_44.jpg Autumn Ring_48.jpgAutumn Ring_50.jpg Autumn Ring_52.jpg

there could not have been any less room between them...

Autumn Ring_55.jpg

as the battle for 2nd continued, MC-Chase had got the hammer down and caught back up

Autumn Ring_56.jpg

Making the most of his momentum it was not long before he made his move...

Autumn Ring_59.jpg Autumn Ring_61.jpg Autumn Ring_63.jpg

One position then another, his sights were clearly set beyond 2nd place!

Autumn Ring_65.jpg

MC-Chase Makes his pass the before the esses, but the place was not giving up without a fight, as Nemesis attempts to cut back...

Autumn Ring_68.jpg Autumn Ring_69.jpg

the backward momentum for Nemesis continues as Brandon Finally makes his move on the back straight

Autumn Ring_70.jpg

However all was not lost as Brandon overcooks it on the downhill straight before the loop and fails to recover from the tank slapper... Solidifying a third place for Nemesis

Autumn Ring_71.jpg Autumn Ring_72.jpg

MC-Chase is still not done with his ferocious attack of this circuit, and soon hunts down his final prey

Autumn Ring_75.jpg

It all looks like there will be no stopping this man, but after leading from the start Naptown was not giving away anything... A successful defense in the last set of corners brings MC's onslaught to an end and ensures a worthy victory for Naptown25rs.

Autumn Ring_76.jpg

Until next time...

Give it a go, ive built about 6 rigs now for friends and myself, and gone through many evolutions too.

My last one was this, very simple, small footprint, could fold/pack away after removing 2 bolts, and surprisingly stable!

View attachment 100788

I actually have something improvised to race here. I'll post pics later, after I put it back up.

JSWYUer.jpg

This is my view of the MBRR (Matt's Badass Racing Rig). It consists of two boxes, a chest, a laptop table, an eiderdown and a kitchen chair. The table is supposed to bring the wheel closer to me, so I don't have to sit too close and hurt my feet stepping on the pedals.

mILv4eX.jpg

The eiderdown serves as counterweight to keep the table from falling on my legs. I don't sleep on those PJs anymore.

CGXKP5v.jpg

The box in the back contains my broken DFGT and keeps the front box from going back. In the space in between is one of the table "legs", to keep it from going back as well.

^ Clever! As long as it works it's all good. I've experimented with a number of solutions, some better than others. For many years I just used a wooden tv tray and braced it with my knees for stability, actually worked quite well and was easy to move/store. This is not exactly what mine was like, but similar concept.
Adrian003.jpg

I used this type of tray/table though
11053804.jpg

^ Clever! As long as it works it's all good. I've experimented with a number of solutions, some better than others. For many years I just used a wooden tv tray and braced it with my knees for stability, actually worked quite well and was easy to move/store. This is not exactly what mine was like, but similar concept.
View attachment 100892

I used this type of tray/table though
View attachment 100893

Obviously there's not enough pink in that bedroom for it to be yours...

I'm going to expect this kind of commentary treatment for all of our races! @Naptown25rs, you best change that paint job lest you incur more post race penalties.

I dont mind doing something like this each week, probably keep it to the Sunday race only though. As long as it stays entertaining, ill give it a go. Otherwise it could become the same thing each week! Plus its not my intention to take over the thread, so if MC, is ok with it and you guys enjoy it...

I Wanted to do last night as the races where really entertaining.

Obviously there's not enough pink in that bedroom for it to be yours...
Sonuva.........

I dont mind doing something like this each week, probably keep it to the Sunday race only though. As long as it stays entertaining, ill give it a go. Otherwise it could become the same thing each week! Plus its not my intention to take over the thread, so if MC, is ok with it and you guys enjoy it...

I Wanted to do last night as the races where really entertaining.
Yeah, just the main event races on Sunday. You really did a bang-up job and your photos are impressively top notch. 👍

Ok I should be working, but following the awesome races i personally had I couldn't help myself!!! Enjoy...

That was great! I almost felt like I was reading a comic! You should fully do these for every race we have ;)!

^And in reference to above, no I have no problem with anyone doing anything, certainly not 'taking over' =/^

While I may have missed the races last night, I don't feel like I did! Nice work.

Ill see if I can find any pictures of some of my traveling wheel setups. Some are less than aesthetically pleasing.

So I used to always use a folding TV tray like Brandon posted last. I slightly changed the mounting places so it lowered it a small amount and gave the bottom a little bit wider stance for stability. I then put some weight like two hardbound books on it or whatever is laying around to help with stability. I use it with my dfgt as it isn't too heavy. I used that for a year and a half at home, longer actually. Now that is my traveling setup. I travel and stay at hotels fairly often with work so I take that and an old used ps3 with me.

Now here is where it gets even better. During the time of gt academy this summer I was traveling by plane, and where I was going I was going to have a few hours each evening free for a week. So I packed up the wheel, pedals, power cord, and tried to figure out a way to bring or disassemble the stand so I could take it. After more time trying than I would like to admit I admitted defeat. I hoped that there would be a suitable table at the hotel, but had already looked up the closest store that I could consider getting a TV tray at in case. Anyways the next day I fly in (had the wheel stuffed into a carry on) and the hotel of course didn't have a table suitable. Looking around and trying to be creative I found an ironing board. With a little Jerry rigging to get the wheel to clamp on I had myself a usable (not particularly stable though) wheel stand. I was then able to use up many hours in the evening on gt academy and gt5 until I had more than my share. Here is a picture of that setup. It also has items on it to help counter balance and stabalize it.

16kxqw0.jpg

It was! I owned a mark 1 aswell (was my old profile pic)! They've both gone now though. I drive an FTO nowerdays, mid-ships are fun though for sure!

Looks nice with the hard top. I had a chance to briefly drive the newer spyder once, as well as a 91 turbo for a bit. Both seemed like they could be a lot of fun. I've found myself looking at both at times as a potential next car, but generally come back with some reason not to.

Looks nice with the hard top. I had a chance to briefly drive the newer spyder once, as well as a 91 turbo for a bit. Both seemed like they could be a lot of fun. I've found myself looking at both at times as a potential next car, but generally come back with some reason not to.

I'd say the mark 3 was very fast for what it was, probably not given enough credit for it's A to B pace especially if you get one with an LSD. That being said the mark 1 was a hundred times more fun, after enough 'dodgy' moments with midships though I gave up before something bad happened!

Back