Lmes

• Thread starter MitchZ06
  • 1,924 comments

Remove GT1 and go with just LMP and GTE(GT2) or leave as is?

• Yes, bigger GTE field and more competition.

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No, leave as it is.

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, it will close up the field and it will be more chances to overtake. It will make the lead car want to get a lap ahead of the guy who is second in class so it will prevent being closed up in safety cars. It will also influence people to go on the long stint to hope for a safety car. And going on a quick stint will be quite a risk.

I see what your trying to do, but in real endurance racing, if you have a big crash, chances are it costs you the chance of victory?

Depends how long it takes to fix your car. This being the gaming world and PD not having a damage model like S2U means cars can be fixed after a big off and still be in the race so we can make it as real as we can but this is something we'd have to compromise on. One thing is tho I really dont want people falling so far behind, especially if they crash early on and get lapped by other cars in class on their way to the pit because thats just demoralising.

Depends how long it takes to fix your car. This being the gaming world and PD not having a damage model like S2U means cars can be fixed after a big off and still be in the race so we can make it as real as we can but this is something we'd have to compromise on. One thing is tho I really dont want people falling so far behind, especially if they crash early on and get lapped by other cars in class on their way to the pit because thats just demoralising.

I see, but with long races, people are going to fall behind a lap or 2 behind the leaders, regardless of incidents, especially so on the shorter tracks.

We're yet to find that out :P
You are right but I would like to try the safety/pace car idea out atleast once in the preseason and get a general opinion of it before we say yes or no to implementing it for the season.

We're yet to find that out :P
You are right but I would like to try the safety/pace car idea out atleast once in the preseason and get a general opinion of it before we say yes or no to implementing it for the season.

Any volunteers for the safety car though?

I'll be the safety car. If I ever notice any of the NRGR teams falling behind I'll pull out to slow the field down to let us catch up. :D

im going to back up my man mitch on this i think its a good idea and it will help the race feel even more real and it will help have more close action instead of everyone driving alone, because i know i get bored driving by my self. i think the pace car will be able to see on the map wen there is a crash on the map when he sees a pile up of cars, and we can at least try it once and if we dont like it we dont have to do it a second time.

I really really hate the idea of a safety car. There's no real need for it on GT5 as there's no debrys on track and after a crash you just keep going. It only messes the racing and strategy up. I got screwd once by one of this "safety car things on one series before because everyone felt it was needed to bunch up the field. It really screwed my strategy and costed me the win.

I've run many races with a safety car and it was pretty fun. When a wreck occurs a good idea is for the wrecked car to say safety car. However if they just bump a wall and mess up their suspension a little then I see no need for it. It needs to be a wreck involving more than one car IMO. And no damage from a little bump. I mean a freaking wreck. Conditions that would actually bring out a safety car IRL. This is the only reason that for a series like this I would say no safety car. People would slightly bump a wall and call for a safety car so they don't fall behind too far.

If we did work it out somehow then the safety car deploys and just picks up the first car who comes around. No need to hit start just stay behind the safety car and no passing. As soon as someone would say SC then no passing allowed until the safety car goes back in. On the last caution lap the safety car goes in and it goes green when the first car hits the start/finished line.

Last edited:
There is no need for it, it will only take away from the heavy damage. Ie you hit a wall, if you crash into someone you need to live with it and make up for your mistake, not rely on a safety car to save you. There is absolutely no posible situation on this game where you would need a safety car, no one's safty is compromised on this game wich is the sole purpose of the safety car, to provide a safe eviroment to attend a crash not what it has become in amrecan racing, just a cue for comercial break.

I do agree with a safety car in this series probably not being a very good idea. Plus these are long races. A crash doesn't mean you're out.

Many of the races I've done where we used safety cars were NASCAR races. It worked out perfectly there but I don't seeing it going as smoothly here.

It will only kill the racing and scare away the serious racers...

Just having a scroll through the boards seeing what's around.... but I'll contribute my opinion.

Having a safety car in GT5 goes against the ethos of endurance racing. Endurance sportscar racing, unlike NASCAR (for example) are about long races, tyre and fuel management... different car classes. One reason these races often get so interesting is down to damaged cars charging through the field after repairs. If you crash, you may have 100 laps left to make up for it, and everyone will make an error at somepoint. So I would say no to the safety car. Just my opinion.

Look guys we'll run Madrid without one, the next preseason race after that we'll use it but I'm doubting theres going to be an overwhelming amount of support for it based on the few comments above....

Well give it a try in pre-season. It still may be good, won't know unless we try it! I think it is a good idea for sprint races, but is going to be hard to implement on the long tracks ( nurburgring and Circuit De La Sarthe)

Only place it'd be needed is a small road course, where if someone wrecks and takes out a couple cars then it could be needed. But you'd need to make a HUGE mistake in order for that to happen. I dont think its necessary as like Jav said no debris or anything to warrant a full course caution, only a local yellow.

Alright guys safety car will be tested at one preseason race, other than that it wont be in for the season.
On to other things. I will put up new track maps with passing zones shown and they will be enforced (thru point deductions after each race for passing in a non passing zone). Dont expect these to be super short but they will be the easier to pass areas of each track. Because damage is set to heavy risky passing moves can ruin the day for both cars and if its a prototype wiping out a GT car then thats just even worse because LMPs are so much faster theres no point taking the risky moves.
Stuff it, I'm sure you can drive like sensible racers and I'll review the replays to decide on matters.
Miscellaneous other things will be added to the OP so stay tuned for more.

Last edited:
I would hope that as intelligent human beings, we can determine where a safe place to pass a slower car is.

You would hope so but I've had some hairy moments in the past from getting caught up in a battle that was making its way thru traffic...

Isn't that the reason for the preseason tests though. The tests should be for drivers to get used to racing with each other with all 3 classes. If the first test goes well then we shouldn't need special passing zones.

Ya reread my post, I'm just over thinking things here....damn PSN wish it was back up....

We need baseline rules on overtaking lapped cars.. I would assume just drive your line and let the faster car overtake since there isn't any blue flags to let you know who is not racing for position.

I personally am very cognizant of LMP cars lapping from experience so I always give up my line to let them pass, however I'm not saying everyone has to do that. LMPs obviously would be safer to pass on straights especially in these city courses I think. But that's their call, if they can avoid contact and pass and everyone's polite to other classes. If someone's being rude there's always the blinky lights :)

Tower Turn 13
I personally am very cognizant of LMP cars lapping from experience so I always give up my line to let them pass, however I'm not saying everyone has to do that. LMPs obviously would be safer to pass on straights especially in these city courses I think. But that's their call, if they can avoid contact and pass and everyone's polite to other classes. If someone's being rude there's always the blinky lights :)

Yeah a lmp is easy to spot, but thinking more of Gt2 and Gt1.

Yeah I'd say slower cars hold their line. It's the faster car's responsibility to make a safe overtake.

Yeah I'd say slower cars hold their line. It's the faster car's responsibility to make a safe overtake.

Thats the real rule which we will be using. The faster car is to go offline to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back