Lmes

• Thread starter MitchZ06
  • 1,924 comments

Remove GT1 and go with just LMP and GTE(GT2) or leave as is?

• Yes, bigger GTE field and more competition.

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No, leave as it is.

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They Took Our Jobs is a pretty classic name for a racing team and the man behind it all, hon1987, took the time to have a discussion with me about the coming season.

Its good to see such a diverse mix of cars on the grid, how is testing of the Zonda LM going?

Things are going okay in regards to testing, though we have little idea of where we are in terms of tyre degradation, fuel economy or long term pace! When the first test comes round we shall see where we are in regards to the rest of the field! Hopefully we are competitive!

Pagani doesnt have a motorsports record as such with their possible FIA GT entry being nixed because of homologation rules, do you hope to give the brand some silverware this season?

It's unfortunate such a brand as well known and associated with high performance as Pagani have little pedigree in motor ports, so hopefully we can give the guys at the Pagani factory and the fans something to cheer for!

What are your impressions of endurance racing on the street circuits?

For sure I was apprehensive at first, but having driven around the Rome circuit I can see an exciting race in prospect! The combination of the low grip cobble stones and barriers will make for an interesting race, and it won't just be about who or which car is the fastest but who can keep their car out of the pits!

The grid for GTE is set to be 10 entries, with so much competition what will your strategy be to come out on top? Or is that a secret?

I can't disclose our race strategy yet, but I can tell you qualifying will be key with such a large field!

So far the 2 Corvettes have set the early pace in testing along with one of the Audis with 1:04 laptimes at Rome. Does the Zonda have what it takes to run at the front of the grid?

Wow really? For sure the times are tight throughout the field, so let's wait and see where we are after testing and the qualifying. I'm confident we shouldn't be too far from the front the front runners!

Rome and Monza are considered home ground races for They Took Our Jobs, will you make the most of the 'home advantage'?

As we know, Italy, in particular Monza, is Tifosi territory. Unfortunately Ferrari aren't represented in this series, so we hope we can fill in the gap for them! For sure their support will be much appreciated in the heat of battle, and we hope to reward them with podiums, and who knows perhaps victories? I hope to hear plenty of the fans shouting forza Pagani!

What race on the calendar are you looking forward to?

All of them! I'm grateful for this opportunity to race on such prestigious tracks as Suzuka, Laguna Seca and of course, Le Mans!

With the recent addition of IndyWolf to your team will that ease the pressure on yourself to perform?

Mmm for sure we have the added pressure of trying out perform one and other, which is only healthy! I'm certain IndyWolf was approached with different offers up and down the paddock so I am lucky to count him as a team mate! The advantage of having such a team mate is you are afforded the chance to compare set ups, and have some one else to measure your self up against! I'm sure we will be pushing each other throughout the season!

Last but not least, Le Mans in June, will you be there?

For sure! Hopefully we have a car capable of taking the chequered flag!

Yeah it's going to be cool having some Zondas on the grid!

Just checked the OP and delighted to see the 350z gets to drop more weight. Have the other cars dropped weight as well?

edit: also for the green challenge is is necessary to log the results? I will probably forget to jot down the fuel loads each stop.. I dont really care about winning a green challenge anyways, lol. Can I just report 80L of fuel each stop and take last spot?

Last edited:
Introducing the Corvette ZR1 NRG Edition
picture.php
Today GM and NRG Racing were on hand in France to unveil the new NRG Edition ZR1 at the famed Le Mans circuit. Set for sale outside the US mainly in Europe the NRG Edition wears the same orange as the team it is named after. Peformance upgrades such as softer R compound tyres and extra horsepower combine to bring the race car to the street.

picture.php

"I'm very proud GM has decided to honor us in this way, I remember in 09 when the GT1 Edition was produced and the buzz it created but to have our name on a very special ZR1, well that just caps off a great relationship between NRGR and GM", team owner and driver Mitch also went on to put the NRG Edition through its paces after addressing the gathered crowd and nailed a rapid 3:49, "Its quick, insanely fast. I think the GTE car can only manage a 3:56 ish time whereas this was easily beating that but its all down to the power. The NRG Edition has about 700hp compared to the 500 of the GTE car and thats just down to the rules and regulations we're dealing with. The NRG Edition was rocketing down the straights easily getting into 300km/h and the GTE car can only just manage that, thru the corners the GTE car is faster but its not as fun as the road car, nowhere near as fun."

Set for sale as a MY2012 model, the Corvette NRG Edition ZR1 from NRG Racing and GM.

picture.php

Just checked the OP and delighted to see the 350z gets to drop more weight. Have the other cars dropped weight as well?

edit: also for the green challenge is is necessary to log the results? I will probably forget to jot down the fuel loads each stop.. I dont really care about winning a green challenge anyways, lol. Can I just report 80L of fuel each stop and take last spot?

Not all the others have dropped weight, only a couple have shed about 50kg.

The GreenX Challenge isnt mandatory, if you want to compete in it you can, if you dont then you dont have to.

MitchZ06
Not all the others have dropped weight, only a couple have shed about 50kg.

The GreenX Challenge isnt mandatory, if you want to compete in it you can, if you dont then you dont have to.
Ok, didn't want to shed the weight and being the only one, having it put back on later because it was quicker. With others dropping weight it should balance out.

I'll try to participate, but I know I'll forget to log fuel load one race, or a couple... Haha

The first test session will see alot of things happen such as weight added or power reduced, just waiting on PSN...

MitchZ06
The first test session will see alot of things happen such as weight added or power reduced, just waiting on PSN...

Indeed, I'm trying to hold off on tuning of the car till after the final regs are ironed out, but getting bored waiting on psn, so messing around with it here and there. I knew the 350z was really competitive with the 1300kg regs, and if others were dropped in weight as well wouldn't be worthless to mess with a little now at current 1250kg regs.

Last edited:
The regs are current, its Balance of Performance which needs to be done at the test (BoP is really making the car equal based on your abilities not the car if that makes sense).

MitchZ06
The regs are current, its Balance of Performance which needs to be done at the test (BoP is really making the car equal based on your abilities not the car if that makes sense).
I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, if I'm quicker with a fiat 500, but the guy with a FGT sucks and its consistently slower, I'm going to get a cut in power/added weight because if his abilities?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, if I'm quicker with a fiat 500, but the guy with a FGT sucks and its consistently slower, I'm going to get a cut in power/added weight because if his abilities?

essentially yes. But, most race series will not balance the performance after each race. Usually, they are adjusted every 2 races or so. For example, Audi decided not to run the new R18 at Sebring because there would have been a balance coming after Spa. Just in time for Le Mans.

No. During the session times will be compared, slower cars will be given breaks (less weight or more hp) and the cars that are too fast will be hit with more weight or less hp. So say 4-5 set a 1:05 lap time, 2-3 set 1:04, and 2-3 set a 1:07 the guys setting the 1:07 will be given a break, the guys setting the 1:04 will cop a very light restriction (20kg or -10-20hp). This should balance the field and will be reviewed after each midweek practice session (during the season) and the test sessions.

essentially yes. But, most race series will not balance the performance after each race. Usually, they are adjusted every 2 races or so. For example, Audi decided not to run the new R18 at Sebring because there would have been a balance coming after Spa. Just in time for Le Mans.
The car really wasnt ready, believe what you want but it wasnt at a level Audi believed could compete reliably over the course of 12 hours (spare parts, enough data gathered, etc).

There was a bit of that too, but honestly, there were probably a lot of things that resulted in it not running at sebring. They also had a 30 hour test with it the next day.

But that would make testing mandatory wouldnt it? What's to stop some one sand bagging until it matters?

Who says NRG isnt sandbagging? Who says anyone isnt sandbagging? It is a risk that any competition organiser has to face and well, if you are too slow you will get a break in the test but when it comes race time and your off running with the prototypes you'll cop a pretty hefty restriction so its not exactly worth it to sandbag.

*sigh* i think im getting close to a really good tune for the zonda lm just needs to do one more test

Madrid doesn't appear on the race list... is it just a test venue? I'll be poking my head in here after some practice runs with the R8lms.

My tunage is

1300 kg/ 500 hp

D. Force 50/70
LSD 10/30/15
Ride Height 0/0
Spring Rate 13.2/13.5
Dampers ext 5/6
Dampers comp 6/6
ARB 3/4
Camber Angle 1.6/0.8
Toe Angle 0.0/0.0
Brakes 6/6
Tires: Racing Medium

Rome Best Lap: 1:04.879
TCS: 1
ABS: 1
Grip: Real
Everything else: Off

This makes me want a team mate. Running solo and running consistently strong has a disadvantage. I feel that if I run consistently good strong lap times, and my competition runs average lap times I'll be penalized for running quickly, and then when my competition runs a good lap time I'll be a good 2 seconds slower trying to catch up.

I do agree if there is a car that has a clear advantage after a few races, some extra ballast or reduced power should be implemented, but with your previous statement you're penalizing fast drivers, not fast cars.

It really makes me want to sandbag during testing, but I want good racing, and I do feel the 350z is a bit quick vs the others I've tested. I've ran very good laptimes in offline practice mode, but I think online I'll be pushing to hard (wearing out tires) and my times will fall more in place with the others. Being honest IIRC my lap times during my last testing session at 555/1300kg regs were 1:04s in Rome, 1:18s at madrid, 1:19s at leguna, 1:44s at monza, and 1:56s at Suzuka. Like I said previously this was offline and pushing 115% (semi wreckless). Maybe others are just sandbaging their posted times. Guess we'll see once PSN comes back up.

Last edited:
We really wont know other guys and cars until the first test online. We can team up. The M3 isnt the fastest, but I have a feeling that its nicer on tires than just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back