Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were able to drive it correctly the downforce would've helped.

If you can't combat its extreme want to kill you, it'll be slow due to the corrections needed to keep it on line with the downforce.

Reducing the front downforce slightly while keeping full rear downforce will reduce its want to snap oversteer noticeably while still keeping most of the pace however.

Try it for yourself. It may just be my driving style/skills. Im not sure. but a 1:15.xxx w/o d-force then to a 1:17.xxx w/d-force both done on Fuji 80's with the specified tire choice. Im quite happy because thats the fastest lap I have recorded for that track with a road car. I say its a 9/10 either way. I removed the wing because a- now im not gonna use it and b- imo it looks like **** on a RUF. To each their own though. Im actually going to race this car so im going use watever accidental discoveries i can that make me faster.

You aren't saving 2 seconds down the straights even at Fuji; you're doing it wrong around the corners. Downforce on a RUF means extreme twitchiness but also massive grip as long as it hasn't snapped yet. Keeping the rear downforce on it but reducing the front somewhat will result in less I'M GONNA KILL YOU and more cornering capability than removing it entirely (the reason it doesn't make you dead is because without downforce the front is too floaty to bite enough to snap the car around).

I will admit i have a tendency to try and oversteer my corners which in this case measns using liftoff oversteer. My main loses were when i spun. the 1:17.xxx was the only lap i didnt spin. 1:15.xxx was my first lap and my best oddly enough. I will be driving this car more. and I will be building a second blackbird evo w/ wing to compare directly, also i will do some testing with bob. But seriously, try it for yourself. I would actually like a second opinion on my thoughts as I am using this as a learning expierience to better myself as a drive/tuner.

I just took my take on an R3 tired, fully modded RX-7 to Fuji 80s and ran a 1:10.836 on my second lap and it's on basically exactly the same ground as the Buzzbomb, just a different approach. It's down 60hp and up 41kg versus the Blackbird and the Blackbird is no slouch around corners.

So... Yeah, downforce is causing you to be slow because you can't keep up with it.

So no wing on the Blackbird works for me but it may not work for others. either way i love the tuning and it WILL be raced often. So 9/10. Same for the rx-7 only i do use the wing with the buzzbomb.

Downforce on a RUF means extreme twitchiness but also massive grip as long as it hasn't snapped yet.

This. The car is an absolute terror to drive on that track as it was never meant to be taken through sixth gear corners flat out, it's a tool for dealing with the twisties, but it's still murderously fast with a capable driver behind the wheel. Without downforce it understeers to no end and takes a lot of dancing on the pedals just to make it turn but still pulls off very high 1'10s in my hands.

Note that I was mighty close to having not only one but two very spectacular offs during the lap. Ladies and gentlemen, the Blackbird Evo singing its song at Fuji 80s.

^very good lap I must admit. But, from a stand point of if it makes you faster? will you use it? I would post a replay for you but i dont have the equipment to.

It doesn't make you faster.

You might clock better lap times without it, but that's a matter of control. Why not try what I said about reducing the front downforce instead of removing all of it entirely and see how the car runs?

Mysterious test mule has been spotted again in different color this time. This unknown monster blasted around Nürburgring in approximately 6'13.xxx..

It did indeed. The reports describe the same angry sound reverberating from the hills accompanied by the crackle of backfires but the tyre screeching has severely decreased, it sounds like the suspension setup is forming up in a desired way. And those who have seen it from a closer distance were left wondering how it moves like that judging by the shape. Have the MFT engineers created something ground breaking?

Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1'00

615 bhp, 817 Nm, 1294 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
R3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 7.5
Ride Height: 110 / 115
Bound: 6 / 3
Rebound: 10 / 6
Camber: 2.3 / 2.0
Toe: -1 / -2
Stabilizers: 5 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 6

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.529
2nd: 1.665
3rd: 1.198
4th: 0.960
5th: 0.800
6th: 0.674
Final Gear: 3.350

Autoset 20

LSD
Initial: 5
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 10

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

What happens when you take an overweight, underpowered American ponycar, and apply some creative Finnish thinking? You get this, a Camaro ZL1. The base car used to be a top tier model of the Camaro, badged as the SS, which probably stood for Stupendously Slow. But now the power has been doubled and then some more, weight has been shed and what do know; The car became alive. 615bhp is a healthy amount of power even by modern standards. Benefits of the lost weight and improved suspension can be felt in the corners where the earlier understeer has been replaced by stern and self-confidence inspiring grip. While it indeed is easy, even friendly to drive for the power it has, it still might bite occasionally if you have driving talents of a baboon.

That's one tenth faster than my Camaro SS was back in the day without any rice sounding exhausts.:D

But since when was the Camaro SS ever under-powered?:P 300+hp was a lot back then, and is still a fair bit now.

it is slow when you make that 300+bhp move 1500kg+ with that ridiculous fuel scrooge gearing. :sly: And compared to the another half of the pair which will probably be out later today, this is still slow.

it is slow when you make that 300+bhp move 1500kg+ with that ridiculous fuel scrooge gearing. :sly: And compared to the another half of the pair which will probably be out later today, this is still slow.

The Camaro SS is just like the Mustang GT '05. PD screwed it up and the car in the game does not accurately represent the real car.

In the real world these are fast, and have underrated power. I've seen 100% stock 4th gen Z28 and SS Camaros dyno 300hp at the wheels and do high 12's in the 1/4.

That's one tenth faster than my Camaro SS was back in the day without any rice sounding exhausts.:D

Yep. Yours sounds like a vacuum cleaner instead. :D

In the real world these are fast, and have underrated power. I've seen 100% stock 4th gen Z28 and SS Camaros dyno 300hp at the wheels and do high 12's in the 1/4.

The game car has 347 bhp after an oil change, sounds like something that would give 300 rwhp. It also does the quarter mile in 13.4 to 13.7 seconds which is exactly in line with the official claims. And it's still slow as hell, or at least feels like it.

Enough of chatter about that slowpoke, time for a fast wedge from the East!

TRD JZA700R TTE '90

698 bhp, 744 Nm, 1261 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
Turbo Kit Stage 4
Racing Intercooler
FC Suspension
R3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 7.5
Ride Height: 110 / 120
Bound: 5 / 6
Rebound: 9 / 7
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Stabilizers: 3 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 9

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.620
2nd: 1.833
3rd: 1.450
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.834
Final Gear: 3.150

Autoset 11

LSD
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids

Always overshadowed by its younger brother the MkIII Supra is a bit of a forgotten hero. Admittedly the MkIV has larger engines, more power, sleeker looks, the entire range of attractivities. But there's one area on which it loses out.

Surprisingly that area is handling. I don't know what causes it but while the MkIV spends precious seconds trying to recover from a stubborn understeer or struggling to put the power to the ground the MkIII has its chance to strike and it doesn't waste any time doing it. Based on the fastest factory MkIII ever made, the TwinTurbo R, and evolving from the TRD 2500GT this car is about as good as a MkIII can get. With a couple of (surprisingly) not so insanely big KKK turbos providing the oxygen and a heavy duty pump providing the fuel the output hovers near a staggering 700 bhp mark and the performance lives up to it despite the relatively ancient suspension layout.

It doesn't look like much, nobody can pronounce its name on the first try, and for the untrained eye it's just another half heartedly tuned coupe from the land of the rising sun. Those with more knowledge realize that TRD means performance, TTE means more performance (Group A Celicas, GT-One anyone?) and MFT - despite not being mentioned in the name - means the final touches. The eternal number two of the Japanese straight six samurais from the early nineties has returned fiercer than ever.

To be honest the Camaro doesn't give any proper impression at any point while you drive it, only the clock tells how you're doing. The car itself won't tell much.

Yeah.. It's colorless, tasteless, scentless.. Very sterile. But somehow it's still pretty fast for what it is.

TRD4000GT

581 bhp, 825 Nm, 1400 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 7.0
Ride Height: 150 / 165
Bound: 2 / 6
Rebound: 9 / 6
Camber: 2.0 / 2.5
Toe: 0 / -2
Stabilizers: 5 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 8

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.736
2nd: 1.821
3rd: 1.392
4th: 1.115
5th: 0.915
6th: 0.758
Final Gear: 3.000

Autoset 20

LSD
Deceleration: 10

Driving Aids

What happens, when you take a standard, boring utility truck and give it off to manufacturers racing arm? Quite a lot, actually. The car loses several hundred kilos of unnecessary sound insulation, gains almost 400 horses and huge amount of torque. And despite TRD's valiant efforts, they had issues to get that all down efficiently. And that's when MFT stepped in, with one condition: We got to name the product once it would be finished. Following the power oversteer history of TRD's earlier products, it was named TRD4000GT. TRD for the company that did most of the work, 4000 referring to the displacement of the V6 and finally GT, that stands for.. wait for it.. Gnarly Truck. Have fun, and remember, while it is mere a hopped up pick-up truck, the light rear-end and enormous torque will get you sideways when you least expect it.

MFT Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1'00 Review
Hi Leonidae and GreyCap, I've done a review of the Camaro that you've had sitting in your shed for a while. (PAL version, DS2 controller)

Parts Applied (except gearbox), Stock Settings
un... der...steer!!!! "Stable" to some, "boring" to others- this Camaro has it by the bucketload! Consistent, but not fun. And any dabs of the brakes to correct the line just add even more understeer.

The gearing is very tall, especially 5th and 6th which are just ridiculous, and this is with twice the standard horsepower...

MFT Tune
In general, much better balanced. The softer springs give smoother dynamics, while still controlling body movement well. Turn-in is much better, in fact the car is much more responsive overall.

Gearing is still a bit too tall IMHO, even out of the tightest corners 2nd hooks up cleanly, I think there more acceleration could be eeked out of the rear tyres with shorter ratios. For my taste, there is a bit too much rear downforce.

I don't want to end on a bad note, so in general I think this is an excellent tune of the "Stupendously Slow" Camaro, as shown by the 4.5 sec improvement I got in lap time against the parts only tune (1:47.9 was my best, still a long way off the excellence of Greycap's driving :bowdown:)

Err... i suppose the car could be faster if you used the gear box/ ratios recommended to get the best out of the Camaro...

Err... i suppose the car could be faster if you used the gear box/ ratios recommended to get the best out of the Camaro...

He DID. His initial testing used the factory gear box (and default settings) and he then compared it to the full MFT setting sheet.

Camaro used to have shorter gearing, but that caused wheelspin even on third when the car was pushed hard.

Chevrolet SST '03

637 bhp, 888 Nm, 1865 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 8.5 / 7.5
Ride Height: 150 / 160
Bound: 5 / 5
Rebound: 9 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Stabilizers: 3 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 5

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.734
2nd: 1.881
3rd: 1.470
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.830
Final Gear: 3.250

Autoset 14

LSD
Acceleration: 30
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids

The beginning of the American retro car era didn't really go too well when you think of it. We got the Chrysler PT Cruiser that was a boring car disguised under a slightly less boring bodyshell, the Chrysler Prowler that looked like a hot rod without being one - and the Chevrolet SSR. Not a car, not a "proper" truck, not... well, not much more than fancy looks.

It had potential though. Anything with a V8 has at least some of that and even though the weight was available in ample amounts it was deemed to be worth closer examination. That's where MFT was called in. First we laughed our heads off, then we got to work. And that work brought very surprising results with the portly vehicle showing promising signs of performance from the very beginning. With well over 600 bhp on tap it's no slouch and actually handles quite well for such a boulevard cruiser for the Californian beaches. In its original form it was good for hauling surfboards, now it can actually take on sports cars and win. Considering the handling qualities we christened it as SST - a Supremely Stable Truck. You'll have to mishandle it very severely to lose control. Here are the keys, surf's up, dude!

MFT Building TRUCKS!? :crazy: I'll have to give them a spin or two...But not befrore Reviewing this next car...

====

My review of the:

TRD JZA700R TTE '90

698 bhp, 744 Nm, 1261 kg

Clickable for full size

====

Where to start with this car...Well, I initially wanted to review the other half of MFT's "Gentleman GT's" (The Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1), but after building up the car and testing it, well...It just wasn't my cup of tea. It was a surprisingly good car that performed better than I had expected it to, but still it just wasn't the kind of car I could write about without picking out all of the flaws of the base car. (Ye, the car itself was my real issue; Even a tuning firm as good as MFT can't seem to make a '00's-Era Camaro fun enough for me to keep driving more than once or twice! :sly:) Or, to put it another way it was like putting a pig in a Tuxedo and expecting it to be something else...

Which led me to this car...The TRD JZA700R TTE '90. Despite the fact that this car boasts a name that could double as an Internet Chat-Room acronym, I've always had a soft spot for under-loved cars like the Mk.III Supra. So much so, in fact, that I had a "10 Km Special" sitting in my garage, waiting to be put into good use. It was even the same color as the MFT Showcase Car...The question in my mind was "Is it a an actual driver's machine, or just another Pig in a Tuxedo?"

Well, after building it, making sure the settings were just right and putting on some unique Wheels ("BU0250" Wheels from the Daily Special section: Call me crazy, but they look similar to Old-School SSR's that were popular back in the early 90's), I decided to do a couple of races in the Dream Car Championship to try and regroup some money. After racking up several trophies and credits as well as putting around 100-odd miles on this once-pristine MK.III Supra, one thing became apparent: The TRD JZA700R TTE is quite a fun car to drive.

I wasn't expecting that at first, actually. To be quite honest, I was wondering weither or not the car would just light up the tires with every accelerator prod and spin me right into a wall (As you see cars like this Drifting around corners more often than actually Driving around them). However, athe JZA700R is fast, stable, and very tractable at low revs in slower, tighter corners. In fact, if you manage to go only half-throttle through 1st and 2nd gear you won't get any wheelspin, which is VERY surprising in a car that has nearly 700 HP. Coming out of corners reveals a slight on-power understeer which builds as the exit speed rises (More on this later), but you'll probably be already entering the braking zone for the next corner before you notice it...

While the JZA700R can go quite fast in a straight line, excercising it through corners is a big part of why this car is so surprisingly good in comparison to the Camaro ZL-1. While that car would only go through corners if the nose was planted enough to break the tires free enough to provide some kind of slip angle, the JZA700R is MUCH more adaptable to drive going into corners. Part of this is due to the very impressive braking power that this car posses. Unlike most of the one's from MFT that I've had the pleasure of driving this car seemingly stopped on a dime every time I asked it too...Which, again, is very surprising for a car that weighs 1261 Kgs. It probaly has something to do with the soft suspension that this car has; It has a noticeable amount of "Nose-dive" under braking as well as some body roll at the limits of adhesion.

Now, with all of the praise I've given this car in how it was able to provide such a surprisingly fun driving experience, there were a couple of faults that I found with it. For one, though braking is responsive under most circumstances, the JZA700R was hard to control under braking on undulating or bumpy surfaces nd was quite challenging to drive on courses like Trial Mountain or El Capitan. Throttle control is also put to the test on uneven or bumpy surfaces, as the car has more than enough torque to break traction going over bumps as the suspension tries to cope.

Second, while exhibiting a surprising amount of grip in low-speed corners, at higher speeds understeer was a big issue, probably the biggest that the car has overall. Weither it's due to the relatively high ride height affecting the JZA700R's center of gravity or the physical amount of body roll and pitch under load, the Understeer at the limits of the car can't really gotten rid off. While it can be fixed somewhat in mid-corner by feathering the throttle to try and let the tires regain grip, it can also lead to premature tire-wear, which is the only other issue surrounding the car, as after 4 laps on R3's at El Capitan Reverse the JZA700R's Tires were worn down to the canvas.

Otherwise, those issues were the only things keeping me from giving the TRD JZA700R TTE a 10/10 and all of them could probably be worked around with putting on harder compound tires and with enough seat-time to get a feel for the car. What struck me more than anything else was that, even though it could out-run many cars in the Dream Car Championship it was surprisingly easy to drive: It's not the kind of car that bites or punishes you for overstepping it's limits...Which, coming from an car based of the Mk.III Toyota Supra, is quite surprising.
====

Overall: 8.5/10

👍 Originality (Who else has built up a MK.III Supra that is this fast or easy to drive?).
👍 Fun and easy to drive with no really bad driving habits.
👍 A good driver can use it to win the Dream Car Championship.

👎 High Tire Wear.
👎 Understeer at High Speeds (Pretty much over 130+ MPH).
👎 Can be hard to control on bumpy surfaces, especially under braking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back