Mclaren W1 - P1 Successor (P18)

1258kg/1399kg/MR/TTH/V8 4.0L

And mind you, this has 200kg more downforce than the Senna. Top speed is said to be over 350km/h, so it's possible it will go even faster.

After watching the unveil video, I have my intial thoughts:

GOOD POINTS:
  • Overall Design is nice - Rear end looks sick with the agressive diffuser and tail.
  • All new V8 block which is great, wish they did a V12 like the GMA but that is a different animal all together.
  • Aerocell is cool and probably all composite carbon fibre, which must be expensive and cool!
  • The new Active longtail is very cool and similar system to the P1 but my more cantilever looking. Nice design.
  • Nice new rim designs, hopefully more of selection is available on launch or close to it.
  • The rear light cut flick of bodywork is amazing and very slick, a nice design touch!
  • I like the aero bubbles thingys on top of the doors, very reminscent of the Mclaren F1 doors!
And......with that onto the slight negs with this car:

BAD POINTS:
  • The Front end looks so bland, almost mimicking a Rimac Nevera not the R version, wish it had and needs more pomp and flairy style to be a flagship car for Mclaren, looks too similar to a 765 LT imo.
  • V8 sounds so quiet, no aggression and heat pounding, inducing a heartattack type of engine to me, or maybe its the exhaust note? muted on the launch video who knows? Gintani anyone? :sly:
  • Mclaren still cant get out of their horrible bubble of interior aesthatics, the screen and basic looking steering wheel (its not bad this time) with ugly switchgear, it a brand new car that may retail at 1-2million or more so, why can't we have some redesign of a crazier steering wheel and button layout design please, plus saying no to tablet slab sided infotainments systems and cheap rehashing of the mclaren parts bin?
  • Clearly the car has gone through some horrible streneous Eco regulations and sound deadening climate crap to adhere to various countries rules and noise and eco pollution remits, hiopefully it dienst hamper the cars ability to look and drive good!
  • Lastly, I hope the reliability is good and the Hybrid E-motor doesnt fail on new users, when buying this car. They say it F1 tech in the video, for all I know it could be taken off a Bosch hover motor or made by RImac, who knows!
  • Also the slogan at the end of video, they states it being "the Real Supercar", is it a hypercar or supercar, there is a big difference so make up your mind Mclaren?!!!
This is just my two cents intially and look forward to other folks feedback also. Drive on!

W1 ENGINE.jpgW1 FRONT.jpgW1 rear.jpgW1 TAIL.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest? This thing might grow on me, but calling it an F1/P1 successor does it a great disservice no matter how much McLaren intends it to be. At best, I see it as akin to a 765LT with more power and more radical (for McLaren) styling. If treated like that, it's not bad. If treated like McLaren wants you to treat it, it's a huge disappointment.

As @AudiMan2011 said, the front end really reminds me of the Lykan Hypersport as well.

Besides that though, personally I don't think it looks bad. As cool as the Senna was, I was not a big fan of its looks so I think this one looks much better than the Senna. Also, maybe it's just me or perhaps because the W1 is still new but when the P1 was announced, that car has such a presence, there was an immediate "wow" factor for me. I'm not getting that same vibe at all from this one.

I couldn't stand watching McLaren's official reveal video once the actual reveal began. It's like they want someone to foam at the mouth with all of that erratic nonsense going on. I'm not interested in your film school project, just show me the damn car. :lol:

Now that I've seen it...I want one. Anyone care to lend me the price of this thing? :dopey:

They didn't put any effort into making it pretty which is a shame. Everything about the general shape and proportions is the same as every other V8 Mclaren since the 12C, with a more ridiculous bodykit slapped on. I won't call it more attractive than the Senna, it's merely less dog-faced ugly than the Senna. The P1 was at least sensual and unique, a lot like the F1 was in its day. I was honestly expecting something more like a Solus than this Mansory-looking abomination. Even the exhaust tips look simultaneously uninspiring and not purposeful.

Last edited:
Mate, don't show a much better looking car from your past. It's embarrassing.

Aero cars have no beauty.

Fabric seats. 👍

Guess they didn’t learn anything from Gordon Murray in packaging.
They're not interested in carrying on the essence of the F1 anymore. The Speedtail had the central driving position but ultimately Mclaren is beholden to profit these days like Ferrari and Porsche.

I couldn't stand watching McLaren's official reveal video once the actual reveal began. It's like they want someone to foam at the mouth with all of that erratic nonsense going on. I'm not interested in your film school project, just show me the damn car. :lol:

Now that I've seen it...I want one. Anyone care to lend me the price of this thing? :dopey:
$2.1 million starting before you get MSO involved.

All units sold out, though.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back