My 69 Camaro Pro-Touring build. Updated 9/30/14

Dang I still really would like to go but I don't wanna spend the $200 it would cost me (for gas and prolly food and whatnot also). Ah well, you should do it again at the end of the summer.

We have decided to keep the max cars at 28 so it is too late anyway for this event. If we do another event this year I will let everyone know again.
The Wilwood pads are in the mail and should be here within a week or a little longer.

Are you going to do anything else to prepare your Camaro for its track day outing apart from new pads? - what are your tyres like? they will take one hell of a beating on a heavy car like that. Have you changed your oil recently?

I am currently replacing all the fluids. The brake fluid will be replaced with high temp fluid. I am also greasing every ball joint and im going to tighten every bolt on the car. I have a list of about 15 things I am doing to prepare it for the track.
I am also going to borrow a friends rear Hotchkis fully adjustable shocks to throw on the back when I get to the track.
My tires are excellent. They are Nitto 555R xtreme and they are the best tires I have ever had on a car for lateral grip. They are even excellent in the rain. I hightly suggest these for anyone with a daily drive that track races and they want some performance.
This car isnt as heavy as you think. If I remember correctly it is around 3,200 lb which is a couple hundred pounds lighter than most new Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros so it is lighter than it looks but only a little.

As a Brit who works in Kg's, 3,200 lb means little too me, You are right though, older cars are always lighter then a similar sized modern - the Cortina i race weighs 820kg with 40kgs of lead ballast!
Are you planning to adjust the new shocks that you are fitting?

Yes I will be adjusting the shocks on the rear. My car currently has very little body roll because of the wheels/ tires combined with how low the center of gravity is now. It is really hard for people to picture how low the Camaro is. It is very close to the height of a Viper as you can see in the pics above.
I forgot to mention I have removed a lot of heavy items from my car like all the stock interior. All that stuff including the rear bench seat were heavy. The hood is fiberglass. I removed the wheel wells and relocated the battery to the trunk of the car to help distribute more weight in a 50/50 weight ratio.
I am sure the car still wont do that well out there since I dont have power steering and I have crappy brakes. I would love to eventually put IRS in the rear.

TheCracker
As a Brit who works in Kg's, 3,200 lb means little too me, You are right though, older cars are always lighter then a similar sized modern - the Cortina i race weighs 820kg with 40kgs of lead ballast!
Are you planning to adjust the new shocks that you are fitting?

3200lbs = 1452Kg's

You guys have a messed up unit system, stick to metric or imperial.... pick one.. (metric is better :sly: )

What sort of rear suspension set-up does a 67 Camaro have? - i've seen the close-ups on your website of the rear wheels and there looked to be little gap between the wheel/tyre and the inside of the arches, on a track (more so than with fast road driving) a live-axel set-up can lead to horizontal movement and you might find your nice tyres rubbing on the inside of the arches - i might be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs with this nugget of advice though.

The 67 and 69 camaro have the same suspension. Just old school leaf springs until I swap it out for IRS years into the future.
I test the Camaro out all the time on hard corners and I have little if almost no rubbing at all. For it to rub on the suspension would be virtually impossible. I have more than enough clearance on the suspension. The body is the problem. It is very very close on the inside but so far I havent had any problems.
This is how low my Camaro is. My girlfriend is 5'4" heigh and the rear spoiler comes to her ummm area. :lol: If you stand up at your cubicle or house and put your hand down by your crotch, that is where the top of my rear spoiler is. If you are taller then it will be even lower. I am 5'10" and I could set my area on the car.

Last edited:
WHat IRS you going to use? Becareful of IRS suspension thats going to camber in alot under heavy throttle. At least with a solid rear end the wheels stay fairly flat on the road.

This is years down the road but I was thinking C5 Corvette or even a Jag if I can find a great deal on them. Keep in mind this is years away from even considering and would take some serious commitment if I decide to do it. I KNOW I could do it but there would be a lot of work involved. Its just something I would consider for an extra challenge to set my car apart from all the other old Camaros and make it ride better. I wouldnt even do it until I painted the car first.

I got several things done on the Camaro in the last few weeks. They are minor but should help.
1. Hooked windshield wipers to new the new 2002 dash.
2. Greased the entire front suspension including upper and lower A-arms
3. Tightened all the rear bolts on the axle and leaf springs.
4. Oil change including filter
5. Modified the original tail light housing and LED lights into behind the clear tail light lenses.
6. Slave Cylinder resevoir for the hydrolic clutch is now bolted up
7. Installed new Headlight

Things still left to do before event...
1. Hook heater to new 2002 dash
2. Flush 6 speed tranny and add new fluid
3. Clean K & N filter
4. Instal Wilwood brake pads and bleed brakes with high temp brake fluid.
5. Top off rear diff fluid
6. Tuck away any loose wires.
7. Replace temperature sending unit for the elec fan possibly relay switch too.

CAMAROBOY69
1088036466-003925.jpg

not too be offensive in anyway dude, but I didn't even see your car in that pic :sly:

j/k..

a little...

TwinTurboJay
not too be offensive in anyway dude, but I didn't even see your car in that pic :sly:

j/k..

a little...
I dont see my car in half the pics I post of it. :lol: And im not offended at all. Quite complimented actually.

Time for another update. Event is next week. :nervous: :)
The Wilwood pads came in last week but I forgot to post pics.

1. Hooked windshield wipers to new the new 2002 dash.
2. Greased the entire front suspension including upper and lower A-arms
3. Tightened all the rear bolts on the axle and leaf springs.
4. Oil change including filter
5. Modified the original tail light housing and LED lights into behind the clear tail light lenses.
6. Slave Cylinder resevoir for the hydrolic clutch is now bolted up
7. Installed new Headlight
8. Hooked heater to new 2002 dash
9. Flushed 6 speed tranny and add new fluid
10. Topped off rear diff fluid
11. Tucked away any loose wires.
12. Replaced temperature sending unit for the elec fan and relay switch too.

Things still left to do before event...
1. Clean K & N filter
2. Instal Wilwood brake pads and bleed brakes with high temp brake fluid.
3. Transition piece for stereo to bolt into 2002 dash. $18.00

I think I am ready for this tomorrow. I have everything on my list done. All I need to do now is mount the camera in the car. The only bad thing is my brakes still need work. I think my brake booster is bad. It is the only thing I have not replaced.

How much has all the mods to your car cost you, if you don't mind me asking. It sounds a lot.

G.T
How much has all the mods to your car cost you, if you don't mind me asking. It sounds a lot.
Between the T-56 6 speed transmission, 400+ hp engine, new rear end, 18" wheels, 18" tires, new sheetmetal including a new rear quarter and fender, new hood, RS conversion for the headlights, lowered, beefed up and rebuild rear end to handle over 600hp, 2002 Trans am dash and interior conversion and many many other items I am up over $15,000 into this car. I have an excell sheet that I update with everything I purchase.

Just to set this car up for a 6 speed cost me over $3,000. I also had to convert the clutch pedal to hydrolic set up. That was another $600. So between the engine tranny and rear end is over $7,000 which is not bad for one ultimate drivetrain in a old crappy muscle car.
The centerforce clutch and flywheel for this was over $800.

The sad thing is I have not even started on the suspension yet. That will probably be another $5,000 before im finished.

Pro-Touring cars are NOT cheap at all.

VIPERGTSR01
Good luck, have fun :).
T/y :)

I have to say this was the best experience I have ever had in in my life dealing with cars. You guys are not going to believe how well my Camaro did. I have to say that I even underestimated the performance of my 69 Camaro. Lets just say its a good thing they put me into the "A" class with the Corvettes and new Mustangs. I passed the new mustang after about a lap and then decided to attack the C5 Corvettes. Yes I said the C5 Corvettes. The black C5 was heavily modified and dynoed at 420HP.

edit: moved video to first post.

damn bro the camaro sounds sick as hell !!!

how fast were you going when you passed the vette??? that was awesome 👍 👍 👍

I was up to 110 mph on the straight aways. Here is the 110 mph drive by. )
Many pics coming tonight. I also crushed a 2003 2004 Mustang. We had a lot of good laps but he finaly let me pass. :) I will hopefully get vids of that too.

I passed the new Mustang somewhere in this lap and came around the corner in this video at over 45MPh then hit 110MPH on ever straight away!!!! No one could believe how well I did out there. Of 28 cars I was one of the top 3 fastest cars!!!
I was in 3rd gear on all corners and 4th sometimes 5th gear on the straight aways. Never had enough room for 6th gear though.

edit: moved video to first post.

Cool vids. The Camaro sounded NICE! I wish I could have came out there even though the Blazer wouldn't have been allowed on the track.

So did you get a chance to hang the ass out at all?

Yeah Blazin you really missed the event of a lifetime! You probably would have been in B or C class. A class was brutal as hell. BUt awesome!!!! As for hanging the ass out, I was in such tight competition that drifting was out of the idea. However I did get a few drifts on turn 2 but the tire smoke had my eyes watering soo bad I decided it was a really bad idea if I wanted to stay ahead of my competition.

Last edited:
Sweet vids man your car sounds like a beast:tup:. In that 110mph drive by video. What was that car directly behind you on the straight it sounded like a rocket.

The 110Mph video, the car behind me was one of the new mustangs that I just crushed. His car was very quite. The quy was cool as hell and had raced many times but he just couldn't keep up no matter what.

Back