National Finals preparation meets/spec racing (NA) All welcome!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 805 comments
FYI to everyone. Room has been closed.

Honestly, these sessions have been an absolute thrill. Every race's a challenge, and there's battles all over the place. Got some more times on the sheet, and we went to a few new tracks.

Thoughts I'll share for tonight:

1. Beware of the dirt/grass. Nothing will ruin your race more than going off and collecting junk on your tires. Not only do you lose time for your off-track excursion, the rubber won't gain grip for a few seconds. Any sudden throttle will spin you out. Brake distances will increase greatly. The car won't turn. Even the vets forget this sometimes. To sum it up, don't dig yourself a deeper hole.

2. It's already been mentioned earlier, but on divebombing, the only time it could work is if there's only one other car around, and you're certain you won't impede the other driver's progress through the corner. If that's your main method for passing, the officials in the finals probably won't take kindly to that.

3. For defensive maneuvers, that's a gray area. However, a good last-lap technique is if someone's drafting behind you on a straight, and you believe they're going to move on your inside, move one lane down before they make a move. Force your opponent to make an outside pass, or too far inside that they'll overshoot the corner. It's something that I've worked on... involuntarily. That's what happens when I'm driving against the best, especially those that just love to stick to my bumper every single lap. You know who you are. :lol:

4. With fast cars, crazy draft, and tight corners, what helps in some cases is lift off the throttle a second before reaching your braking point. That will minimize issues with tire lockup, or flat out overshooting the entry by a mile. Also, moving your braking zone up some while going 90% on the pedal may also improve car stability.

5. With the Nissan Z's, if you're turning while off-throttle, the tail will tend to wag when getting back on the gas, regardless of input. If you can keep even a small amount of gas through the corner, though, that helps to a degree.

Thanks for all the help!! You are definetly making everyone work hard to keep up with you. For some reason last night everytime i got out of 370z and later got back into it the darn thing had comfort tires on it. I would be out there like why is everyone killing me in the corners lol. Im going to try and break in most my cars today before I do any racing. But its been a blast racing with all of you guys these last few days cant wait for more. :)

If you still need it I can sponsor one today 👍
And just start dupe ring so all who need it can have it :)
(Btw. its '08 )

Send fr to urabus098 :)
( I can send car in couple hours )

Yes that's right, the 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy Version), is an '08. Fixed on OP.

Now JK, mind sending me one to start a dupe ring?

Otherwise it's available randomly through the level 12 ticket, or a 2008 ticket, or the 1k ticket of course.

Wardez
Yes that's right, the 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy Version), is an '08. Fixed on OP.

Now JK, mind sending me one to start a dupe ring?

Would someone mind explaining this dupe ring process? First I've heard of it.

I get a car, I make a save. I immediately back up this save.

I then send the car to someone else then revert my save file to the one before I sent it and I will then have it again but the next person will also.

Wardez
I get a car, I make a save. I immediately back up this save.

I then send the car to someone else then revert my save file to the one before I sent it and I will then have it again but the next person will also.

Seems simple enough. Let's do it. Just backed up my save game data last night so got that part figured out and have done the restore bit a few weeks ago after I re-formatted the ps.

Won't be able to get to ps until late tonight however.

Thanks to everyone for last night's races, I once again had a blast. I wouldn't have quit that way but my connexion decided that I had to leave lol! Keep up the good work everyone, you guys are definitely getting faster everyday!

how are you guys limiting your PP? last night my car was 465 and the lobby was 463 (i think) i backed it down on the power limiter. what are you guys doing? ballast?

how are you guys limiting your PP? last night my car was 465 and the lobby was 463 (i think) i backed it down on the power limiter. what are you guys doing? ballast?

they shouldn't be limiting any PP or anything. Don't know why they would. cars should be completely bone stock with oil changes, and break them in.

Any chance I can join the room next time u guys host, Im not blazingly fast my quickest time was a 1.32.7 ?

Had a great time joining up with the racing last night, the spec racing is really fun. 👍 Its nice to not have to deal with constantly tweaking the tune for a change :)

For those looking for info on engine oil and engine breakin this thread spells it all out:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182613

In summary, the engine will be fully broken in after 188 miles (300km), the engine will be stable till 3100 miles (5k km) , then needs an overhaul.
Freshly changed oil starts in a bonus phase, that last for 122 miles (200km) and is gone after 188 miles (300km). Then oil is stable till about 3100 miles (5k km). A new car's oil does not have this bonus phase which is why you gain hp by changing it right off the bat.

One thing to note, running a seasonal TT or online in a room with no tire wear does not put wear on the engine for some reason, however it puts miles on the odometer. So this causes the cars odometer and engine wear to be out of sync. All other driving will break in the engine (online with tire wear, season races, or any offline driving). A fast way to do break-in using Bspec is to run the indy 500 mile race for 75 laps.

Any chance I can join the room next time u guys host, Im not blazingly fast my quickest time was a 1.32.7 ?

You can join me in the back end of the field, lol. I ran a 1:32.070 and I cannot keep up with these guys. Here are a few things I have noticed since racing with them this week:

1) The racing line is absolutely key. Before when I raced, I would just try to go as fast as I can, paying no attention to where I am on the track. By diving deep into turns, I assumed I was going fast, but the reality is that apex/exit speed is exponentially more fruitful, especially before long straights.

2) Consistency, the top guys do not make mistakes. Even when driving in a pack, they are able to give each other room, make little-to-no mistakes under pressure, and still post laps faster than my qualifying laps.

3) Car control, to post fast laps the cars need to be raced hard without going over the edge. With experience in each car you can see what you can do with what cars.

4)You have to be quick, right out the box. These guys can post very fast laps in the first few minutes of qualy. It took me 30mins of my own practice time to do what took these guys were doing in 5mins. By luck, we ran a race yesterday with a car/track combo that I got to practice on. I had my best qualy, and was with the lead pack for most the race, until I followed th guy in front of me off the track.

It seems like there are couple of guys that are in the top 32 of GTA that are struggling to keep up and are getting discouraged. IMHO, if I were them I would be practicing each track, focusing on the best racing line for each track, and taking as long as it takes to learn the car/track combos, rather than the 15mins you get in qualy. The lounge can be very distracting, at least for me, because of the messages blocking part of my view or traffic in general. But I am not going to San Diego, so this room has been an eye opener, as to what it means to be a sim racer.

You can join me in the back end of the field, lol. I ran a 1:32.070 and I cannot keep up with these guys. Here are a few things I have noticed since racing with them this week:

1) The racing line is absolutely key. Before when I raced, I would just try to go as fast as I can, paying no attention to where I am on the track. By diving deep into turns, I assumed I was going fast, but the reality is that apex/exit speed is exponentially more fruitful, especially before long straights.

2) Consistency, the top guys do not make mistakes. Even when driving in a pack, they are able to give each other room, make little-to-no mistakes under pressure, and still post laps faster than my qualifying laps.

3) Car control, to post fast laps the cars need to be raced hard without going over the edge. With experience in each car you can see what you can do with what cars.

4)You have to be quick, right out the box. These guys can post very fast laps in the first few minutes of qualy. It took me 30mins of my own practice time to do what took these guys were doing in 5mins. By luck, we ran a race yesterday with a car/track combo that I got to practice on. I had my best qualy, and was with the lead pack for most the race, until I followed th guy in front of me off the track.

It seems like there are couple of guys that are in the top 32 of GTA that are struggling to keep up and are getting discouraged. IMHO, if I were them I would be practicing each track, focusing on the best racing line for each track, and taking as long as it takes to learn the car/track combos, rather than the 15mins you get in qualy. The lounge can be very distracting, at least for me, because of the messages blocking part of my view or traffic in general. But I am not going to San Diego, so this room has been an eye opener, as to what it means to be a sim racer.

Thanks for the advice, I noticed the driving line thing especially into a corner when I was watching some of the fast gt academy laps, I noticed that they were going in slower than me but exiting the corner faster so that completely changed how I approached corners. But thanks. What car are u using, and are people tuning cars?

Discouraged isn't the word. I am one of them guys. You probably won't be seeing me to often in the lobbies anymore. Like you said i'm just gonna stick to learning the tracks wich is what i'm having a hard time doing. Obviously once i do the speed is there but diving into a whole new physics engine and tracks i've barely seen before really has me discouraged. 4 or 5 hours a day on each track is what i'm shooting for up until the competition. Hopefuly it pays off, if it doesn't so be it as long as i have fun.

JerseyDriverSS
Discouraged isn't the word. I am one of them guys. You probably won't be seeing me to often in the lobbies anymore. Like you said i'm just gonna stick to learning the tracks wich is what i'm having a hard time doing. Obviously once i do the speed is there but diving into a whole new physics engine and tracks i've barely seen before really has me discouraged. 4 or 5 hours a day on each track is what i'm shooting for up until the competition. Hopefuly it pays off, if it doesn't so be it as long as i have fun.

Wow. That's a lot of time. You running in practice mode? You might consider creating an open lobby, limit drivers to 1 so you don't get the random join so you can practice in peace. The reason I advise this is because the physics model is noticeably different offline/online and I suspect the finals will be played in online mode even if over an isolated LAN.

Just started a room. I'll be on for the next 30-40 minutes till I go to work. Just getting in some practice.

Room #: 1472-6399-8451-1926-8525

ROOM CLOSED

Last edited:
Wow. That's a lot of time. You running in practice mode? You might consider creating an open lobby, limit drivers to 1 so you don't get the random join so you can practice in peace. The reason I advise this is because the physics model is noticeably different offline/online and I suspect the finals will be played in online mode even if over an isolated LAN.

Yeah thats what i been doing. I figure from about 7-11 every night until we leave and i should be up to par i hope. If only i didn't work lol.

Yeah thats what i been doing. I figure from about 7-11 every night until we leave and i should be up to par i hope. If only i didn't work lol.

Do you guys find it hard to race when your tired. I make a lot more mistakes when tire, which is usually the state I am in. I don't play unless my toddler and infant are asleep, which means I am only at my best for about the first 2 hours. But even when they are asleep, I still have my wife and others talking in the background. I figure if I can race good in these conditions, I will be really good when it a quiet environment.

A few FYI's:

1. The way my connection's set up, I can create rooms but no one else can get in. If you want me around, set up a room, and give me a heads up so I can join.

2. I've started running laps at Twin Motegi East. I'm getting the impression that Motegi's another Monaco for me (I'm terrible there, and I can't figure out why).

Latest Posts

Back