National Finals preparation meets/spec racing (NA) All welcome!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 805 comments
Is this the link that will be updated? And as z06 said, are you guys considering running the Nissan race cars in preparation?
Use the link in the OP.

As for race cars, I think we could do those as we get closer to the date.

Stupid question but my silvea is not broke in (13hp short) as are none of cars. What kinda time difference would you say that's worth on nurb gp/d. If any?

FRs to names in OP sent. Not that I'll be serious competition for you gentleman but if the race goes on long enough I'll be someone you can practice passing techniques on.

Now to find all the cars in my garage.

Stupid question but my silvea is not broke in (13hp short) as are none of cars. What kinda time difference would you say that's worth on nurb gp/d. If any?

Just have one of your bobs run it on that 90 lap laguna seca race if it's available. Could set it up while your sleeping, the car will be broken in at the end of that race.

Dragonwhisky
Just have one of your bobs run it on that 90 lap laguna seca race if it's available. Could set it up while your sleeping, the car will be broken in at the end of that race.

Didn't think of that. Never had to break in cars before in game. Kinda dumb in my opinion. Guess that's what ill do though.

I'd say roughly half to a full second regardless of track/car combination.

Note that a few times were set by the uber fast and others set by me. I forget which ones I've set, but based on experience, I'm usually around a second slower. Therefore, if you're consistently within 2 seconds of the lap time on the sheet, then you're heading in the right direction. :)

I was in a room with a bunch of guys but i dont know if anyone else noticed but room was a little laggy to me. I believe who ever had room opened originally had mics on. So i just opened a new room for anyone who wants to join me.

1472-4710-9866-6907-7906

I was in a room with a bunch of guys but i dont know if anyone else noticed but room was a little laggy to me. I believe who ever had room opened originally had mics on. So i just opened a new room for anyone who wants to join me.

1472-4710-9866-6907-7906

Thanks Mike, I might come find you in a little bit.

Note that a few times were set by the uber fast and others set by me. I forget which ones I've set, but based on experience, I'm usually around a second slower. Therefore, if you're consistently within 2 seconds of the lap time on the sheet, then you're heading in the right direction. :)

Wow, that makes me feel better. :embarrassed: All my Nissans are brand new, and I was about .4-.6 down last night. The break-in feature is kind of cool, but for this it's kind of frustrating.

1472-4710-9866-6907-7906

OMW.

Don't have either of the GT Academy '09 cars yet.

man i got my ass handed to me tonight by everyone. looks like i have a looooong way to go to be anywhere near you guy's. crazy how fast everyone is.

Thanks for posting this tid bit, I was doing some practice runs today at GVE reverse and was running a 1:15.475 in my new Silva, about a second off the pace. Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks again for posting the top times, I am using them. I would not mind having a few ghosts to analyze.

If it takes time to brake in the cars, how long until their performances go down?

Last edited:
I'll join you guys tonight after I eat dinner. I bought all the GT5 DLC so I'll have all the non-GT Academy tuned motors listed in the R1600's recommended list. I'll just sit out if you guys decide to run the GT Academy specific cars.

Shouldn't a horsepower limit be set during these practise races since the cars that will be used for the national finals will be more or less stock?

I've got the last league race in a series tomorrow night; after that's finished and if I'm not too tired I'll look for an active room.

These practice Spec Races were some of the most fun racing I've ever done, and it really helped out when we got to the finals.

Looking forward to it!

:cheers:

ya I'm definitely breaking all my cars in before I practice any more, the one car I do got ready is the only one I can finish in top 3 with. all others I'm just in the way being a second slower and making mistakes trying to keep up more.

Key point for tomorrow:
focus more on racecraft, less on speed. Heard of people divebombing in the practice races. If you need to do that to get ahead in races you're not going to last long. If you can't help doing it just take a breather and relax more before race starts.

:tup:Great words Eddie

I was also curious as to how the rules kind of work during the finals, i.e. track boundaries, pitting other drivers or wrecking them, or what happens if you totally get wrecked by somebodyelse? Hope some previous finalists can inquire on this, be greatly appreciated.

Key point for tomorrow:
focus more on racecraft, less on speed. Heard of people divebombing in the practice races. If you need to do that to get ahead in races you're not going to last long. If you can't help doing it just take a breather and relax more before race starts.

👍

1472-4710-9866-6907-7906
FYI to everyone. Room has been closed.

Honestly, these sessions have been an absolute thrill. Every race's a challenge, and there's battles all over the place. Got some more times on the sheet, and we went to a few new tracks.

Thoughts I'll share for tonight:

1. Beware of the dirt/grass. Nothing will ruin your race more than going off and collecting junk on your tires. Not only do you lose time for your off-track excursion, the rubber won't gain grip for a few seconds. Any sudden throttle will spin you out. Brake distances will increase greatly. The car won't turn. Even the vets forget this sometimes. To sum it up, don't dig yourself a deeper hole.

2. It's already been mentioned earlier, but on divebombing, the only time it could work is if there's only one other car around, and you're certain you won't impede the other driver's progress through the corner. If that's your main method for passing, the officials in the finals probably won't take kindly to that.

3. For defensive maneuvers, that's a gray area. However, a good last-lap technique is if someone's drafting behind you on a straight, and you believe they're going to move on your inside, move one lane down before they make a move. Force your opponent to make an outside pass, or too far inside that they'll overshoot the corner. It's something that I've worked on... involuntarily. That's what happens when I'm driving against the best, especially those that just love to stick to my bumper every single lap. You know who you are. :lol:

4. With fast cars, crazy draft, and tight corners, what helps in some cases is lift off the throttle a second before reaching your braking point. That will minimize issues with tire lockup, or flat out overshooting the entry by a mile. Also, moving your braking zone up some while going 90% on the pedal may also improve car stability.

5. With the Nissan Z's, if you're turning while off-throttle, the tail will tend to wag when getting back on the gas, regardless of input. If you can keep even a small amount of gas through the corner, though, that helps to a degree.

Last edited:
outlaw, I gotta say thanks. even though you really have no reason to, at least from a strategy standpoint, you've been quite the help. It's really helped me shake the rust off faster. I thought I had a shot at Grand Valley there until I just clipped the grass under braking. :ouch:

It was my first time racing in GT5 online since GT5 Prologue and I have to say that the 2 hours I spent was definitely worth it. I've never used any of these car/track combos and I can tell that I need a bit of work to put up a fight at Nationals.

Outlaw, thanks for the tips and must I say that you're bloody fast. I found a new rival, EpicGonzago, somehow we're always stuck in mid-pack together, but we had clean, fair battles that shook off a bit of my racecraft rust.

I'll get back on Thursday night, but I'll probably miss the racing from Friday-Sunday. I found out Sebastien Loeb will be competing at the X-Games this year, so I'll be heading out to Los Angeles Friday morning!

outlaw, I gotta say thanks. even though you really have no reason to, at least from a strategy standpoint, you've been quite the help. It's really helped me shake the rust off faster. I thought I had a shot at Grand Valley there until I just clipped the grass under braking. :ouch:
Considering I'm not an Academy Finalist, nor will I get a chance to be Time Trialer (I refuse to call it Racer :rolleyes:) X, it's the least I could do. If nothing else, I'm hoping that what myself and everyone else is doing right now helps someone be the next professional racer. 👍

I am tempted to put that GT-R through a few laps again at GVS Reverse, though. I definitely left time on the table. :ouch:

Back