National Finals preparation meets/spec racing (NA) All welcome!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 805 comments
Great racing tonight! I'd say we had a solid 5 hours of epic fast and clean racing. Sorry about the way the room exploded like that... My PS3 decided to throw a fit and restart on it's own.

Since we are running with tire wear off and we know that not having tire wear for whatever reason prevents engine break in, wouldn't it be easier for us to run cars that have not been broken in? So we buy all the cars from the dealer and give them oil changes. Takes like 20mins for all the cars. No need to spend hours upon hours breaking them all in. Just a thought.

New room up:

liX93.jpg
Room's closed.

Bad news on the photo op. Some had paused while posing, so we have some deceased Nissans in the shot.

Never mind. They all came back to life... eventually. :lol:

May get in some quick shots before calling it a night.

Edit:

2ceomdf.jpg
vrcahk.jpg
ddizcz.jpg
357m5qh.jpg
35iq4rd.jpg
mre1c8.jpg

Last edited:
Room's closed.

Bad news on the photo op. Some had paused while posing, so we have some deceased Nissans in the shot.

Never mind. They all came back to life... eventually. :lol:

May get in some quick shots before calling it a night.

Edit:

2ceomdf.jpg
vrcahk.jpg
ddizcz.jpg
357m5qh.jpg
35iq4rd.jpg
mre1c8.jpg

it was great racing with you guys, i gotta get some more practice in this weekend, you guys ran so much faster than me. :ouch:

here are the shots that i got.

rbhdds.jpg
2mo8pz7.jpg
351si8l.jpg

since we are running with tire wear off and we know that not having tire wear for whatever reason prevents engine break in, wouldn't it be easier for us to run cars that have not been broken in? So we buy all the cars from the dealer and give them oil changes. Takes like 20mins for all the cars. No need to spend hours upon hours breaking them all in. Just a thought.

+1000

VELOCI_2NR
Since we are running with tire wear off and we know that not having tire wear for whatever reason prevents engine break in, wouldn't it be easier for us to run cars that have not been broken in? So we buy all the cars from the dealer and give them oil changes. Takes like 20mins for all the cars. No need to spend hours upon hours breaking them all in. Just a thought.

Please post in the OP if we are going to use brand new or broken in. Bob and his team have been braking my cars all night and will be today, but I can just as easily dip into my bank account for a few new Nissans. It won't hurt to have both in the lineup.

Unfortunately my Tuned Z already has 300 miles on it so I may need another.

Also, if we go brand spankin' new, do we change oil or not? Let us know before we go shopping.

Cheers!

Apparently I should have taken my home made nixim mod out a long time ago. Braking is a lot easier without it and my brake is no longer randomly sticking and preventing me from accelerating :P.

Great job on the shots guys, came out better than I thought, the colors look pretty *_*.

I somehow forgot to save the first photo session we did with the cars on the brickyard, hopefully someone else can get shots of that.

@ Veloci
What you say makes sense, only thing that will change is the reference times, but at least we're making this change now rather than later. I'll alter the OP with a mixed compromise.

We obviously can't just buy a GTA version car from the dealership, I'm going to fully break in both my GT Academy "Version" cars, the 370Z Tuned Car and the GT-R SpecV and I suggest every one else do the same. You only need to break in two cars (that are seldom used in our lobbies so far anyway) so it's not asking for much. Note: we're not going to be running the GT-R SpecV GT Academy Special.

These cars, from now on, must be run stock with only an oil change and must always only have 0 miles/km distance driven. Racing the cars in our lobbies with tire wear set off means the cars' engines will not gain distance driven.

Power - PP figure newly bought with an oil change. Set the room to the displayed PP
  • Silvia Spec-R Aero (S15) '02 - [251hp - 436pp]
  • Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07 - [316hp - 459pp]
  • Skyline Coupe 370GT Type SP '07 - [335hp - 461pp]
  • Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 - [337hp - 464pp]
  • Skyline GT-R V-Spec II NUR (R34) '02 - [343hp - 475pp]
  • GT-R SpecV '09 [502hp - 538pp]
  • GT-R Black Edition '12 - [552hp - 548pp]

GT Academy "Version" cars with full break in and fresh oil figures. Must be used fully broken in.
  • GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Version) '09 - [517hp - 543pp]
  • 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy Version) '08 - [391hp - ???pp]
Big note:
When the GT Academy 2012 DLC gold prize cars are released we will exclusively be racing with those cars. We will be running the system the same as above for cars that can be readily bought from the new dealership. Data may change or not depending on whether the GTA DLC cars have slightly enhanced performance over their stock counterparts or not.

OP updated.

Last edited:
So the fact that Jordan recommended that we buy a T500 wheel to practice makes me believe that my hopes that each finalist will be gifted a T500 of there own will not come true. =( That would have been awesome though...lol. C'mon, I couldn't have been the only one hoping that each finalist would receive the wheel and rig like the one Racer X gets. =D

Racer X has an arguably harder task though. Being fast on demand then going right into the bear cave. ;)

Racer X has an arguably harder task though. Being fast on demand then going right into the bear cave. ;)

No! Racer X only needs to beat out the people who show up at the wildcard event. Lets say 100 people show up, Racer X needs to be better than 99 out of 100 people, or be in the top 1%. How many people did the 32 national finalists beat out? We are probably in a much higher percentile. Give us all G27's at least! I know, I know...we won a trip to San Diego. I'm not complaining. :)

I was shocked to see an email from Sony/Nissan confirming my potential spot in the National Finals. I was shocked because I finished round 8-5 with a ranking of 35. Granted, Let_Canada_In and z06fun were not eligible - I wasn't aware that at least 1 other racer in the top 34 was also ineligible.

Either way, I have already returned the affadavit and I will be online practicing each night. If any of the other GT Academy finalists want to add me, feel free. PSN: gatordaryl.

Good luck and see you in San Diego!

nice one man. lots of people want to be in your position haha.

No! Racer X only needs to beat out the people who show up at the wildcard event. Lets say 100 people show up, Racer X needs to be better than 99 out of 100 people, or be in the top 1%. How many people did the 32 national finalists beat out? We are probably in a much higher percentile. Give us all G27's at least! I know, I know...we won a trip to San Diego. I'm not complaining. :)

There were over 400,000 people supposedly in the US competing in this year's GTA.

I was thinking about this the other day though: there were awesome prizes in last year's GTA for the guys that placed #1 at the end of each week in the first round. Didn't you win a wheel or seat?

They're changing it up, seeing what works best and for fun and such. But remember that Jordan also said we'll be getting a few big surprises that are still down the road as well so hold on to your socks I guess.

I'm totally happy even just going though, bringing all of us crusty dudes together will be a whole different prize in itself xD

I think, when it comes down to it, the pressure involved in the Racer X, and considering the format, it'll be a whole different ball game. Yes we had a lot more competitors over the time 8-5 was open and Racer X will have a fraction of that, but that's just it, we had weeks and Racer X will only have a few minutes to shine, not to mention the long wait in line they'll have to go through - multiple times if they're hardy enough to make further attempts.

I've derailed this thread enough though :3

Any one planning on practicing here soon?

hehe... actually I ran my percentile for giggles when they released the numbers and landing in 81st put me @ ~99.97 nationally and ~99.93 global IIRC.

Top 32 are ~99.992 percentile so say the top 1 hundredth of the 1 percent.
Definitely an achievement.

OT lulz. Was just racing in a random online lobby and asked the host if he'd do spec race "I don't do spec races". This coming after winning every race by a landslide by altering rules to perfectly fit his cars...what a pansie.

As for brand new cars w/ oil change I have been ending up about .5 off the spreadsheet times for whatever it's worth. R34 Nur on Madrid I was about .2 off, so the times shouldn't change too much.

Yeah that's what I was expecting, thanks for testing.

And didn't you know? Guys who don't do spec racing are bad asses.

I wouldn't expect a free $500 wheel guys.

Also, you guys are taking the practice sessions a lot more serious than we did last year. :lol: We just made sure we had the right cars and raced.

I wouldn't expect a free $500 wheel guys.

Also, you guys are taking the practice sessions a lot more serious than we did last year. :lol: We just made sure we had the right cars and raced.

Well I think if you reversed the groups it'd be the same. Difference being that you guys didn't know what you were going to really encounter at the Nationals and just raced whatever to train race craft around each other. Now we know more or less what to expect, so it's bound to be more of a controlled affair.

Depending on how long the line is for the Racer X comp., I'll try and attempt a second time but I don't think I'll be my fastest the first time. :P

That and if I do come out on top, I probably won't go any further than that, though it would be a nice experience. :D

Well I think if you reversed the groups it'd be the same. Difference being that you guys didn't know what you were going to really encounter at the Nationals and just raced whatever to train race craft around each other. Now we know more or less what to expect, so it's bound to be more of a controlled affair.

Assuming it's the same. ;)

R1600Turbo
Assuming it's the same. ;)

I've thought the same thing! Last year they had shorter tracks and stock cars, this year they could introduce longer tracks and toss in any one of the DLC Skylines or the 24 Hours Skyline Kaz and Lucas drive, etc.

There's a ton of variables. I'm psyched to see how they structure it this year.

Back