NBA 2011-2012 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 924 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Golliver/CBS Sports
Reports: Larry Bird to return as Pacers president, promote Kevin Pritchard to GM

The future of the Indiana Pacers' basketball operations department has been the subject of some confusion, with reports that president Larry Bird might retire this summer and with multiple internal candidates, as well as former executive Donnie Walsh, looming as potential replacements. On Friday, some possible clarity emerged.

Yahoo Sports reports that Bird is in fact planning to return for next season and that he has selected director of player personnel Kevin Pritchard to the GM position, replacing current GM David Morway.

As Larry Bird finalizes his deal to continue as Indiana Pacers president, he plans to elevate Kevin Pritchard to become the franchise's general manager, multiple league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pritchard has become a favorite of Bird's since his hiring as the Pacers' director of player personnel a year ago. Pritchard's promotion will spell the end of David Morway's successful tenure as GM, sources said.

Bird still has to finalize a deal with Simon for Pritchard's promotion to be made official.​
The Indianapolis Star confirms the plan: "Multiple sources say Bird will push to make Pritchard GM if he returns as president. Bird and owner Herb Simon are expected to meet sometime next week."

The Pacers recently granted Morway the right to interview with the Portland Trail Blazers regarding their GM position, which was filled this week with the hiring of former Los Angeles Clippers executive Neil Olshey. Morway was officially promoted to Indiana's GM position in 2008 after spending more than 10 years with the franchise.

Pritchard served as GM of the Blazers before being fired by owner Paul Allen on the night of the 2010 NBA Draft. He reportedly had interviewed for the Toronto Raptors GM position before the season and had been mentioned as a candidate for the Orlando Magic's open GM position in recent days. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports on Friday that Pritchard has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Magic's GM position due to his promotion with the Pacers.

This game of musical chairs takes place after the most successful season in recent Pacers history. Indiana went 42-24 in the regular season and then sent home the Orlando Magic in the first round of the playoffs in five games. They then advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals, where they were eliminated by the Miami Heat in six games. The Pacers hadn't advanced out of the first round of the playoffs since 2005.

Pritchard and Bird were briefly teammates on the Boston Celtics during the 1991-92 season.
I know that nobody cares outside Portland or Indiana, but Kevin Pritchard is one man I wish I could have thanked in person for rebuilding the Portland Trail Blazers. Rumor has it that he was cocky. He was arrogant. He was a 🤬-hole. One of my bosses(I have many), his son worked with the NBA people working for Nike, and even he didn't think well of Kevin Pritchard. Anyway, those are the rumors. Fact is, this man saved Portland Trail Blazers from Oregon Arena Corporation(subsidiary of Blazers owner, owns our arena) from bankruptcy, team from being sold, and also getting rid of the "Jail Blazers"(we called them Trail Gangstas). And when I say Jail Blazers, I'm not talking about the talented players with issues(ie Rashweed Wallace). I'm talking about the no-talent assclown like Darius Miles. Blazers attendance went from about quarter-full(or less), to packed house every night under the direction of Kevin Pritchard.

Many say that he should have drafted Kevin Durant over Greg Oden(losers with big mouth has REALLY good hindsight). The naysayers completely ignore the fact that Blazers became a respectable organization again, and Pritchard was the man responsible.

I hope Kevin Pritchard gets the job, and I hope Indiana kick some ass.
...not just yet!
I've been saying all along that he should play inside! He's as strong as any bigs, and faster than any of them. But can he duplicate that on a consistent basis in a 7-game series? If they want to beat OKC, consistent effort will be required, and so far, Miami has proven time after time that they can't do it.

I hope they prove me wrong, but it would be the first time since maybe last NBA Finals they play to their potential. I'm not knocking them, although they lost last year, I thought Miami played well.

Best of luck to Boston and Miami tonight. We'll see who'll meet the Oklahoma City Thunder in the NBA Finals for the championship (not the "World" Championship) after tonight's game in Miami.

Heading into the 4th, one possession game...

That means its time for a funny!

I hope someone in the building knows how to perform the Heimlich maneuver effectively, because Lebron is about to choke!

Made that up by myself, ba dum tish ;).

Ouch!!!!

CAM
Heading into the 4th, one possession game...

That means its time for a funny!

I hope someone in the building knows how to perform the Heimlich maneuver effectively, because Lebron is about to choke!

Made that up by myself, ba dum tish ;).

Ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be here all week, tip your waitresses, try the veal!!

But really, they are doing fairly well so far in the quarter, haven't followed James' stats particularly closely though.

Except for that 3 he just drained. Ice cold.

There is no choke LeBron this year. He came to play these last 2 games, as did Bosh. I'm fairly concerned on why every time James has a great play, Wade tries to go for a highlight reel shot early in the shot clock. He's doing fine rebounding & assisting this game.

That was a pretty impressive shot Wade just had on the 3 point play, though. When I tuned in from the hockey and saw that Bosh had 19 (I'd been flipping back and forth), I was certain that Miami was in fine shape. It seems that when Bosh produces, good things happen for them.

Now that this win seems all but inevitable, I can't decide who I want to win the Finals. I love Durant and Westbrook's thing, but I'm also really tired of all the flak Lebron gets about his lack of title(s) so far. Don't flame me out for it, though :lol:.

CAM
That was a pretty impressive shot Wade just had on the 3 point play, though. When I tuned in from the hockey and saw that Bosh had 19 (I'd been flipping back and forth), I was certain that Miami was in fine shape. It seems that when Bosh produces, good things happen for them.

Now that this win seems all but inevitable, I can't decide who I want to win the Finals. I love Durant and Westbrook's thing, but I'm also really tired of all the flak Lebron gets about his lack of title(s) so far. Don't flame me out for it, though :lol:.

Everyone in the country barring Florida is gonna root hardcore for OKC.

I want OKC to take it, but it's gonna be seven games, and it's gonna be one hell of a series.

Yeah, I want the Thunder to win based on who I like as a team, no doubt. I'm just tired of hearing about all these "doubters" and Magic Johnson and Wilbon arguing over if Lebron is ready to win or whatever else every June, if that makes sense.

Even if this is the end of the Celtics Big 4, what a way to end it; very hard fought game. James, Wade, & Bosh just really wanted it. If LeBron keeps this momentum going into the Finals, OKC is going to have a hard time containing him; when he drives or gets on a hot streak, he's difficult to stop.

CAM
Yeah, I want the Thunder to win based on who I like as a team, no doubt. I'm just tired of hearing about all these "doubters" and Magic Johnson and Wilbon arguing over if Lebron is ready to win or whatever else every June, if that makes sense.

No it doesn't really. Once you're in the NBA, then every player should be ready to win.

The problem with Lebron is that, A.) people touted him to be the next MJ and B.)a lot of people still have that sour taste of the "parade" that Miami threw when they signed the three.

Me myself, I have no qualms for the guy. He made a business decision and had no obligation to Cleveland. It's the media that ruined his reputation for the most part.

There will be no next Jordan or Rose or James. They will only be one of a kind.

Now what's annoying is the so called Heat "fans" that suddenly came out of the woods when James came onboard.

Where were they in 2006?

Even if this is the end of the Celtics Big 4, what a way to end it; very hard fought game. James, Wade, & Bosh just really wanted it. If LeBron keeps this momentum going into the Finals, OKC is going to have a hard time containing him; when he drives or gets on a hot streak, he's difficult to stop.

You can't really stop James. Fortunately, OKC just has to outscore them. Their offense maybe just enough to beat Miami's D.

Yeah, I don't understand the ongoing hate. The party and the decision were the only things that made me mad. But I definitely see where you're coming from. Either way, it'll be a fun series to watch.

CAM
Yeah, I don't understand the ongoing hate. The party and the decision were the only things that made me mad. But I definitely see where you're coming from. Either way, it'll be a fun series to watch.

Sports fans are not known to let go of past grievances.

Shoot, my friend's dad still hates the Pistons for walking off the court after the Bulls swept them out.

That's part of sports. You let go in real life. Not letting go in sports is perfectly OK, and part of the fun.

I'm glad Boston lost. I hope both teams lose in the Finals, but I know I'll only get the 50% of the wish come true. :P

In one way, I was kind of (but KIND OF) going for the Celtics so that I don't have to hear "...not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7..." So it looks like it's OKC vs. MIA for the championship. Both places are tough to play at, so I wouldn't be surprised if home cooking plays a role in who gets the edge (player performances notwithstanding).

In a condensed season and with all kinds of insanity... and then, there were two. Congratulations to whomever eventually wins the championship. Best of luck to both teams.

WOOT WOOT! Go Miami! Love it when Bosh comes up big, still a bit of a fan of his since his Toronto days and his epic funnies.:lol: :D
I still don't think the Heat stand a chance against the Thunder, it'd take a miracle and someone other than Spoelstra. How come Turiaf never gets played, even when they're hurting from a small line-up?

sumbrownkid
Where were they in 2006?

...Watching Wade lead the team towards beating the Mavericks in six games, and realizing the ghost of Ron Rothstein had finally been expelled. (Well, until two years later, when he coached on an interm basis.)

Team that David Stern conspired to assemble versus the team that super friends conspired to assemble in the Finals. Yaaay.

I can't believe it, but I will have to watch some of it. You can't refute the level of talent on these two teams.

...Watching Wade lead the team towards beating the Mavericks in six games, and realizing the ghost of Ron Rothstein had finally been expelled. (Well, until two years later, when he coached on an interm basis.)

And then they disappeared again until James came over...And this time they are far more in number than I remember in 2006.

If they are going to take it to the OKC, they will need to play with energy, too. Kinda like young LeBron James.

You guys know what they say about the young LeBron James. No idea what a bad man Delonte West is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back