Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
And as far as I can tell all the videos have had assists on which means they haven't been driving on the "Pro" setting so we can expect it to be more realistic than these videos show it to be.

Don't belive no one mentioned the nitrous LOL Not sure many if any race cars use nitrous apart from street racers of course, will e interesting to see how they impliment it into the games structure as I notice a PP system akin to Forza and GT5p.
As for the car physics in that video? looked like arcade mode to me, super gripy tyres and way too forgiving as the car was being thrown around. I doubt you could drive the cars realy well in sim mode and external view, especialy on the nurb.

But we don't know which physics mode the player is using.. as there're altogether 4 different physics modes - casual, normal, experienced and pro. ;)

Think Mathias, the one driving ;) , drove in experienced. He tried pro (similar as experienced, just without aids), but the cars we sliding even more, so he needed the stability control.

I think there is no real difference between the first tree (at least the first two), beside the aids you are allowed to use. Only the casual mode seems to be there to cater more towards the arcade nfs fans, with extra help options And I think I read about additional grip, but that was relatively early on in development, so not sure if that made it in the end into the game.

with all the in-game ads it doesn't make sense to pay $59 for spam

With the PS3 version you'll see the occasional NFS ads/banners trackside (for now) but with both the 360 and the PC version, there will be in game advertising (for other companies).

To me it ruins the game a bit especially on track like Nordschleife. But seeing that track is pretty accurate (more so than the almost tree-less and autobahn-width/surface version in Forza 3, which the first one begs the question what does Turn 10 thinks the word "Green" in Green Hell refers to, no pun intended), I can forgive the overzealous advertising in SHIFT. Had someone EA been smarter (obviously not Andy "rollcage in a rally car isn't realistic" Tudor), they would at least incorporate the advertising as part of the sponsor decals on the cars. Of course you get paid from sponsorship after winning races (in the game) so that Bugatti Veryon isn't as dauntingly expensive if you were to get it through prize money alone- very much like GRID.

Just been looking at the vehicles, they have a number of visible stats,

car rating
tier 1-5
performance stats
Drive train
BHP

Should be easy to setup a leauge limiting participants to a certain car level if the lobby system dosn't already suport such restrictions. I suggest a leauge series! plus theres the drift stuff as well if your so inclined! track a week with 2 classes of car to be raced, say 10 min race followed by a 20 min race? best laptimes dictate starting position........That is of course if Online suports all that? Haven't seen or heard much about online thinking about it!
Kudos to the next video featuring online racing!

Posted by Myke "I should not believe anything posted on the internet to attrack hits from fanboys to my site" 6699.

Do people think about what they read, or just ....whatever. But hey, gamerzine already altered their original story, what a big suprise.

And Myke, do you really think, some of the decals on the cars in NFS are not payed for already by sponsors ;)

Posted by Myke "I should not believe anything posted on the internet to attrack hits from fanboys to my site" 6699.

Do people think about what they read, or just ....whatever. But hey, gamerzine already altered their original story, what a big suprise.

And Myke, do you really think, some of the decals on the cars in NFS are not payed for already by sponsors ;)

I read it over and over again because it was such confusing statement- very much like the 20 track fiasco in GT5. But you're right, I should bite my tongue before but that's the nature of the beast (the interweb, not me, well partly). Other than that I think Andy's doing a great job selling the game- NFS is indeed a tough one.

And as far as I can tell all the videos have had assists on which means they haven't been driving on the "Pro" setting so we can expect it to be more realistic than these videos show it to be.
I like how they won't post decent videos showing their awesome totally-in-a-different-class-than-GT5 sim driving, they likely won't make a demo, and just want people to take their word for it. :lol:

NFS: Prostreet 2

They altered it but didn't make it anymore sensible, Andy still states "adding rollcages was a good work around but one we haven't had to do on Need For Speed: Shift".

So adding rollcages was a good work around? The car comes with a damned rollcage. Only thing Andy took back was the "Slightly less realistic" part.

I liked pro-street, physics were quite a bit too heavy bit it was still the most realistic driving model nfs had so far.

NFS Porsche challenge and even NFS 1 (R&T presents NFS) felt more realistic to me. (not talking about shift)

I liked pro-street, physics were quite a bit too heavy bit it was still the most realistic driving model nfs had so far.

Pro Street was terrible... The physics were WWAAAYYYY to easy... You BARELY needed to brake at all and dont even get me started about the drifting and high speed challenges... :dopey::dopey:

Andy T. today removed the comments he made yesterday about demo and "Ferrari DLC", so take my comments in post 1438 for what they are worth, or not ;)

German site Xboxfront.de posted two more XBOX 360 vids.

[youtubehd]N5MhBBEgS1E&fmt=22[/youtubehd]
Edit: erased becuase I found comments that answered my question. I don't wanna frustrate people :)

Last edited:
Jay
They altered it but didn't make it anymore sensible, Andy still states "adding rollcages was a good work around but one we haven't had to do on Need For Speed: Shift".

So adding rollcages was a good work around? The car comes with a damned rollcage. Only thing Andy took back was the "Slightly less realistic" part.
Jay, will try again as I was not clear enough and you seem to have missed my point. ;)

Sites like that one live by the traffic they generate and they achieve that by using “extreme headlines”. In this case site had short interview with SMS, pick a few lines out of their context and split it up in two 15 line stories with two catching headlines. One about Shift + Prostreet 2---> get's linked on all NFS sites (traffic up) and one about GT5 and unrealistic damage --> every GT site and the rest of the internet. :crazy:

Of course a compagny like SMS has to react to the GT5 story, because they did not say that and there name get dragged in something they do not want to be part off. Site is ofcourse more than welcome to add a minor update to the story, but leave the original story intact and above all, the traffic generating headline, right or wrong, still stays.

IMHO, it is wisely to not take everything to literal/seriously from stories like that. If you want to take anything out it, look at the bigger story, like Jordan did today on the news page. Does this maybe explains the 830+170 cars thingie from that Japanese text, are there 170 (race)cars with roll cages that have a different kind of damage model, compared to the other 830 cars? (etc./etc.)

But if you really want to analyze stories like that word by word, IÂ’m not holding you back ;)

Pro Street was terrible... The physics were WWAAAYYYY to easy... You BARELY needed to brake at all and dont even get me started about the drifting and high speed challenges... :dopey::dopey:

that sounds like the opposite, it's the heavy feeling of the cars that made braking important and you could not go through corner with high speed at all.

I think you have another nfs in mind.

Jay

I think Andy Tudor is talking in general terms, not for that specific car. He is not obliged to know, that PD will include damage only for the racing cars. IMO, that's why he assumes, PD will add rollcages in all cars as a workaround for the damage.

It's just a little misunderstanding between Andy Tudor and GT5 community, IMO.
As markao said, sites as "gamerzines" use such controversial headlines to generate traffic.

Jay, will try again as I was not clear enough and you seem to have missed my point. ;)

Sites like that one live by the traffic they generate and they achieve that by using “extreme headlines”. In this case site had short interview with SMS, pick a few lines out of their context and split it up in two 15 line stories with two catching headlines. One about Shift + Prostreet 2---> get's linked on all NFS sites (traffic up) and one about GT5 and unrealistic damage --> every GT site and the rest of the internet. :crazy:

Of course a compagny like SMS has to react to the GT5 story, because they did not say that and there name get dragged in something they do not want to be part off. Site is ofcourse more than welcome to add a minor update to the story, but leave the original story intact and above all, the traffic generating headline, right or wrong, still stays.

Of course thats just plainly obvious they would go for the controversial part for traffic, GT is a game with a big fanbase, but what you're saying is he didn't say it at all, which means GamerZine must have made it up or totally mis quoted him, which apparently was 'cleared up' but what he "apparently" said still doesn't make sense.

In the end he made a silly comment that backfired unless GamerZine totally made it up..... Which even though they want lots of hits, I doubt.

IMHO, it is wisely to not take everything to literal/seriously from stories like that. If you want to take anything out it, look at the bigger story, like Jordan did today on the news page. Does this maybe explains the 830+170 cars thingie from that Japanese text, are there 170 (race)cars with roll cages that have a different kind of damage model, compared to the other 830 cars? (etc./etc.)

But if you really want to analyze stories like that word by word, I’m not holding you back ;)

I'm not taking it all that seriously, I find it amusing a dev accidently put his foot in his mouth, the only reason I replied to your post in the fist place was because you jumped on myke6699 pretty hard for his comment.

IMO, that's why he assumes, PD will add rollcages in all cars as a workaround for the damage.

Which is still a silly thing to say anyway.

Last edited:
I don´t think that this one has already been posted, but it´s worth ! (Especially for the grid-girl) :-)

Doesn´t seem to work!

Here is the link:

Fix'd.

And awesome video by the way. Very intsense.

Jay
In the end he made a silly comment that backfired unless GamerZine totally made it up..... Which even though they want lots of hits, I doubt.
What silly comment did he make then??

IMO, he probably just answered a simple question about NFS Shift damage, get's aked why their doors don't fall of and explains how PD got smart and found a way around the "driver/cockpit damage limitation"

Result is a silly and as updated untrue headline and a GT defence force stepping up to defend thier game, in end for no reason, because no one sad anything bad about it afterall.

What silly comment did he make then??

IMO, he probably just answered a simple question about NFS Shift damage, get's aked why their doors don't fall of and explains how PD got smart and found a way around the "driver/cockpit damage limitation"

Result is a silly and as updated untrue headline and a GT defence force stepping up to defend thier game, in end for no reason, because no one sad anything bad about it afterall.

That adding a roll cage to a wrc car is a workaround. A car that actually comes with a roll cage in real life.

LOL! Clearly, there's a lot of excitement being generated over this game. Last night I saw my first live TV ad. Sad to say it was worse than any of the crash and bang videos we've seen on here.

But this one below takes it to a whole new level... ;)

Latest Posts

Back