Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
Have you got an oversupply of full-stops that you're trying to get rid of by the end of the week or something...?...

Yes, Would you like to borrow some?? You didnt put down enough in your post... ;)

Need for Speed Shift UK Review

Closing Comments

But it ultimately does little to detract from the core experience and its many successes. Need for Speed Shift gets the most important part of a racing game right and it does so with a flair that’s uncommon in a frequently po-faced genre, providing a driving experience that’s genuinely thrilling. In one stroke it revitalises the flagging Need for Speed brand, and suggests that – with just a little more refinement – the series is establishing itself as a true contender to Gran Turismo and Forza.

eps9z.jpg

Jay
👍 :cheers:

Actually, I am short.... thanks....... you.... are quite the generous type....

Oh I always try to be. As you can see Im running out of periods as well. Have to be conservative now..... Ooops a slip up. ;) We're getting off-topic here, but I found your comment quite sly if you know what I mean. Touche!

Back on topic: I want this game now after seeing that little review :) Good thing I pre-ordered.

Thanks for posting the link markao. Overall, it's a very positive review. The only thing that concerns me a little is this quote from page one:

Blanchimont is the most terrifying, with a wide entry setting up a full-lock drift, with the tyres squealing like a chorus of burning kittens as the game's trademark exaggerated oversteer kicks in.

The emphasis is mine. But they certainly make it sound like the handling model isn't particularly realistic. Or at least a bit 'over-the-top'. But it's their opinion. I guess in a week or so I'll be able to give my own. :)

I'm a little worried about this quote...

"Drift competitions feel like they have strayed in from a separate game, and they're a little broken, with the game's otherwise excellent handling model unable to cope convincingly with the art of holding a car sideways"

I'm a little confused here, is he saying that the normal handling model is unable to hold a car sideways? You shouldn't need a drift mode to take a car sideways if it has good physics. LFS, Forza, GT series, they all have excellent physics and you can drift just by going into a free run. Or was he talking about the actual drift mode doesn't do it convincingly because of the "drift physics"

Please someone shed some light on this, If i take a rx7 for example out to a track and just applied a little too much gas exiting the corner, I would like it to slide out like it would on the previously mentioned games (and in real life ofcourse). PLEASE GOD let it be like that, otherwise it's not very realistic.

How easy is it to accurately judge physics by looking at video of game play? A lot seems to depend on how the player is driving, whether a "simultation" or "arcade" mode is selected, & what the AI level is.

We'll find out about Shift for sure in a few days.
I can usually interpret a gameplay video just by looking at how cars handle. For instance the first gameplay footage of Ferrari Challenge screamed out sim while GRID did not. It's usually not that hard to see what direction a racing game is taking.

Shift, however, didn't give me any clear clues as to what it was all about.

On the AI front, it seems to me incredible that it's possible to make the AI reactive to different styles of driving, while GT (at least up to, & including GT5P) still has the AI running around on rails, following the racing line come-hell-or-high-water. I'm with GTP_HUN: hoping that by focussing on the "racing" rather than the "driving", Shift will deliver a good sim-racing experience without a lot of the GT "padding".
Not really...it's been done before. I still think Ferrari Challenge has the best A.I. in the business. The drivers are very engaging and adjust to your track position.

If Shift provides a sim experience with Ferrari Challenge style A.I. then it's a winner, however, I have just read the IGN review and I'm still not convinced.

Like I said before I hope a demo is coming but, if not, I might just flip a coin and take a punt.

It is like in real. Car with setup for proper big angle drifts needs to be handled a bit differently than car with "normal" setup. Physics is the same of course.

I just searched NFS: Shift + G25 on youtube and this video showed up.

Now ... I hope this is not what the final product will offer, there's almost no replication on-screen to what's happening on the G25.

Anyone that has tried Shift WITH A WHEEL can tell what's his/her experience?

I think that wheel is broke LOL You'll find quite a few vids on this thread with the G25 clearly in sight and working a treat....unlike the one in the vid above LOL

I think that wheel is broke LOL You'll find quite a few vids on this thread with the G25 clearly in sight and working a treat....unlike the one in the vid above LOL

Hopefully it's assists which can be removed (like speed sensitive steering or steering assist which you can turn off).

Ok, this one looks nicer, although it's bonnet cam, but the driver is competent and he claims he did this with no assists:

(still, for those that - unlike me - like to use cockpit view, the question remains about the wheel movement on-screen)

I wish it had 1:1 animations like LFS, or at least an option to remove hands and see the 900 rotation like in rfactor.

Now ... I hope this is not what the final product will offer, there's almost no replication on-screen to what's happening on the G25.

It has to do with the fact that it's set to casual mode (as oppose to Pro mode). I've tried the PS3 version with the G25 and while it's not 1:1 wheel response, in Pro mode, it's not as bad as what you see here- close to what you get in GT5 Prologue. BTW, here's my preview: http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-the-realism-discussion-continues/

Hes playing the PC version, the driver settings must be all wrong.

If things like the cockpit wheel not matching up with the real wheel are problems, then it sounds like a good game. All games have things wrong, but if that's the worst of it...

yeah the IGN reviewer had issues, the Drift mode didn't seem right and there were TOO many race series in single player...........oh well I'm not buying it LOL

Damn...I want this. I really want this. Slightly Mad Studios knows how to make a great offline racing experience. I think the "Driver Profile" could help; if a driver is a dirty punter, the game can tell you. I can't wait. Between this and Scribblenauts, September 15th is gonna be a great day for gaming.

Good news that online races also score you on clean/argresive driving stats which ultimately lead to online driver matching. This (if it works) has to be the greatest idea to get online with likeminded racers. by that I mean if you like to drive clean you should only be matched with clean drivers online, coupled to this it's in everyones interest to drive clean online to keep your stats and therefore your access to these clean racing lobbys.

I wouldn't recommend the video ... I just hope the guy driving was with all assists on and with AI set at "Moron" level.

I really don't know what to think of this game yet.

I wouldn't recommend the video ... I just hope the guy driving was with all assists on and with AI set at "Moron" level.

I really don't know what to think of this game yet.
Like I sad before, similar feeling for me to.

It is nice to see a game get good reviews (bigger change to see SMS --> Ferrari project go :dopey:), but ultimately I will need a demo to test the driving and decide if I will buy this one or not.

Back