Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
Hi pino-r!

I think 8 is adequate for short races of 3-5 laps on small, tight tracks. But I agree, for longer races of 10+ laps on circuits like Spa-Francorchamps or the Nordschleife, 12 or 16 (or even 20+) players would be a lot more interesting.

Let's hope the compromise with 8 players is that it results in strong, stable lobbies with little lag.

Well they are on EA servers so even if you only had 2 cars you would still have unstable lobbies.

Not only that jj, but the reviewer does not seem to have tried the game with a wheel. And it's still not really clear about the physics - did he drive in the most sim mode? There are a number of references to GT, holding out GT as the standard for sim-racing, but we all know (well a lot of us anyway ;) ) that GT itself isn't the last word in realistic physics. So there are still a bunch of unanswered questions...
Yes, they seemed to use a handcontroller in the videoreview and skidding around every corner until my head hurt. And I thought sportscars were low for the sake of traction and stability...

Well they are on EA servers so even if you only had 2 cars you would still have unstable lobbies.

Strange as the EA servers handle demand without any hastle on Burnout, BF:BC and BF:1943.

Which title are you specifically refering to, as I've personally never had any issues with them.

Regards

Scaff

A scandalously accurate interview taken with thought right from the court, the interviewer clearly understand the needs and accurately to the point of bilfysiken and körkänslan. I would be lying if I said my småutmaningar wasn't completely delicious with excitement. This is an advertisement. I mean... ARGH! @ Translation software.

Great find. And the author clearly understands the needs of a community such as ours, much more than the IGN reviewer, who was writing a preview for the masses. I think I understand more about this game, from the perspective I was looking for, than from any single interview so far. It was written by "one of us", so to speak.

Fascinating review.

I particularly like this:

Forget what you learned in the Gran Turismo games where there has never been waxing through curves,

At last, we are going to be able to wax while cornering - perhaps I can get my wife interested in this game now... 💡

waxing through the curves and polishing of the oposition, is there a dyson V's hoover race series in there as well LOL
Nice spot Biggles, Ginger out.

I have to say that if Shift has a different "atmosphere" from GT, FC or FC1E, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, as long as it is has reasonably good sim-physics - I don't think we need all our racing games to be similar. What really interests me, is that it has some very interesting tracks - particularly, of course, the Nordschleife.

Well, GTR 2 wasn't "the hardest racing game ever". Actually there is a common opinion it already turned to some arcade direction with finish at Race 07/Race Pro which are barely simulators. The most "hardcore" racing game SimBin ever made was GTL

Actually the reviewer compares NFS Shift physics with GTL's, and his opinion is NFS Shift has even better physics, especially tyre model.
(The tyre model is the biggest flaw in the old ISI gMotor engine, which is used in GTR, GTR 2, GTL...)

BTW, would suggest you to read the GameReactor review again (regardless of the poor google translation :) ). The review is from simracer perspective and gives good information about NFS Shift physics. I am not sure you will like the comparison to FM2 and GT5p, though. :)

I have to say that if Shift has a different "atmosphere" from GT, FC or FC1E, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, as long as it is has reasonably good sim-physics - I don't think we need all our racing games to be similar. What really interests me, is that it has some very interesting tracks - particularly, of course, the Nordschleife.

I agree. That's why I think die hard fans of a particular series (the kind that ONLY play it and think everything else is rubbish) do miss a lot and have great difficulty to appreciate "other" games for what they offer.

As an example, take V8 Superstars. Good physics when you "learn" them, but nowhere near as detailed as GT, and nowhere near as "raw" as FC (close to meaningless sense of weight transfer).

However, even this "underdog" game has something unique to offer, and I'm not talking about diferent cras /tracks. But if you take it seriously (and don't shelve it immediately because you think it's rubbish) it gives you a very real and immersive experience of racing. One of these nights I spent all my available time with only one race. Did Free Practise 1 (30 mins) did Free Practise 2 (30 minutes), trying to tweak the car setup and reach the AI pace, did quali (30 minutes) taking my time to still try different things. And then had a memorable 14 laps (race length set to "real") race against fierce AI competition.

With a plus: mechanical damage and tyre wear. And just this makes you drive in a completely different way from both GT and FC.

I'm really glad I got this "underdog", even if it is now a bit late to battle online against te likes of ukog-dyer or Hereward (they moved on already). And the reason I'm glad is because tehre's something in the "athmosphere" of this game that is different from the others I have to play.

So, I hope NFS: Shift gives me something new, different and immersive also. I think I made up my mind about buying it. But that video yesterday .... :nervous:

We were there campaighining for SSV8, and apart from the tumble weeds online I really enjoyed it, but I was talked into SCC (which so far has seen my PS3 for half an hour due to IL2) so it got traded in (I mainly play online and the tubleweeds put paid to it) But anyway SSV8 is a very good title, as I hope NFS Shift will be. I say hope because until we actualy get our hands on it we truley are at the mercy of the opinions of those who have played it. Hun listen to jjaisil and get it bought LOL

I just read on the EA forums (posted by an admin) that a Demo WILL be released. But unfortunately, not until after the game is released. I'll post details as soon as I know more.

EDIT:

There are 2 tracks included: Spa and one in London
the 4 cars are: Nissan GT-R, BMW M3, Lotus, Dodge Viper, and the Zonda could be unlocked.

Unfortunately, at the same time, I'm hearing (what may just be rumors) that the entire on-line system is very limited. I'll post more details as soon as I know.

Last edited:
Oh no, limited online means I have to dust of SCC..........

Hold that!
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/301396.page
jjaisli please don't speak to strange men on stranger forums! the quote was "Online is limited" that was the whole statement by someone who joined that forum 3 days ago and has posted 9 posts! he dosn't state why it's "limited" or what makes it limited, he's then replied to by a member who has a year on that forum and 3284 posts to his name who obviously has been on the game but is limited in what he can say for legal reasons, the replie is not adsactly confirmation of the 1s't posters statement, quite the oposite.

SCC back in cupboard, dust intact!

Another edit, heres ANOTHER person who can't drive! but the first part of the video shows the tuning and car modding to a certain degree, worth a look, theres more in there than I thought there would be!

Last edited:
I think I've read only 8 online-players per race, which would suck big time :/ I expected at least 12 :( we'll see.

New shots by Speedhunters (PC version)

ss15128.jpg

ss15419.jpg

The whole bunch of pics is here ;)

Ahhh, the Corolla GTS "Rice" Edition. Awesome! I'm sure it has the full 115-bhp package. :crazy::lol:

@ Hereward! Well, I don't want to start any crazy rumors or I'll be guilty of the same innuendo I'm accusing others of. I haven't heard anything concrete. But I do think it's odd that there's this giant veil of secrecy over the on-line system. :scared:

Yep, those wide fenders are totally rice.
AE86trdk1.jpg

And that spoiler. Ugh, what are professional drift teams thinking.

:rolleyes:

Thank you. I was gonna lose it, but, thank you.👍

and btw, is that Tsuchiya in the seat?

Last edited:
Oh no, limited online means I have to dust of SCC..........

Hold that!
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/301396.page
jjaisli please don't speak to strange men on stranger forums! the quote was "Online is limited" that was the whole statement by someone who joined that forum 3 days ago and has posted 9 posts! he dosn't state why it's "limited" or what makes it limited, he's then replied to by a member who has a year on that forum and 3284 posts to his name who obviously has been on the game but is limited in what he can say for legal reasons, the replie is not adsactly confirmation of the 1s't posters statement, quite the oposite.

LOL. :ill: Guilty as charged. But let's just say, I've also read a few rather cryptic comments from a different source, which left me with more questions than I started with. And if you read further into that thread, you'll probably understand why I don't want to elaborate. And it just makes me a bit skeptical. Why is there such a big secret regarding the on-line system! I just can't believe that it's good news.

Ahhh, the Corolla GTS "Rice" Edition. Awesome! I'm sure it has the full 115-bhp package. :crazy::lol:

@ Hereward! Well, I don't want to start any crazy rumors or I'll be guilty of the same innuendo I'm accusing others of. I haven't heard anything concrete. But I do think it's odd that there's this giant veil of secrecy over the on-line system. :scared:

Theres no great viel, just no info on specifics, upuntil a our ago I didn't know you could put your own vinyls on the car AKA forza 2 style. The online aspects being "limited" hasn't been reported on any of the reviews thats out nor by any of the previews nor any of the write up by guys who's had "hands on" I'm sure IGN would have mentioned something in there review? the first time I've seen anything about it is some unsubstantuated coment with no explination as to why he feels it's "limited" I personaly wouldn't put much weight behind the guys comments. I could say "I've played the game and the graphics tear terribley in online mode"..........not true but how do you know I'm telling the truth or just having a dig at EA like alot of other gamers?
I would say if you have any doubts about getting the game wait 1 day after release and ask people on here for there honest opinions on the game. If it's junk I for one will say so.

Fascinating review.

I particularly like this:

At last, we are going to be able to wax while cornering - perhaps I can get my wife interested in this game now... 💡

Here's better translation whicg I think you might prefer :)

Forget everything you learned in the Gran Turismo games where you could always let yourself drift through the corners or where a sports car with four-wheel drive understeer in the same way and slid through the corners like a car with front wheel drive.

BTW, here's a german version of the same review: http://www.gamereactor.de/Kritiken/276/Need+for+Speed:+Shift/

And that spoiler. Ugh, what are professional drift teams thinking.

:rolleyes:

I have no idea. But you might want to try asking professional synchronized swimmers. It's kind of similar, isn't it?

Would you guys lighten up, please. It's Friday. There was a :lol:. It was a joke. If you thought it was in poor taste than I'm sorry. My goodness.

I have no idea. But you might want to try asking professional synchronized swimmers. It's kind of similar, isn't it?

Would you guys lighten up, please. It's Friday. There was a :lol:. It was a joke. If you thought it was in poor taste than I'm sorry. My goodness.

You calling me an EA fanboy! WELL ARE YOU! 👍:lol:

hello,
I confirm only 8 players online,for me and' an ugly news .... :guilty:
read in the review on multiplayer.it what she has given vote 9 to Shift ,in synthesis they have defined it :good simulation from the feeling arcade .

still 6 days.....👍

bye :)

The online aspects being "limited" hasn't been reported on any of the reviews thats out nor by any of the previews nor any of the write up by guys who's had "hands on" I'm sure IGN would have mentioned something in there review?

IGN
The online is very fun, but minimal in options.

The last thing that I want to mention before wrapping this up is that while the online mode for the game doesn't offer a huge number of options, it's really fun. There's a basic Quick Race option (both ranked and unranked) which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. But then you have a Driver Duel mode, which plays out sort of like a King of the Hill match.

I got the impression that online is limited from this review.

A fact corner would be nice with for these reviews, number of tracks, cars, online modes, options available in online etc.

I read some OPM scans of Dirt 2 and nothing is actually said about the amount of cars and stuff.

Back