Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
This was captured from an high-end PC. PC version looks better, from what I've read

Yeah, Thats pretty much the case with any game though, You will always get better graphics and smoother frame rates on a good pc just because of the fact that the pc has so much more processing power than a console.

Speaking of PC, have they released the requirements yet? I'm hoping my new PC would run it steady on all high.

WHAT! No! The PS3 is more powerful than the universe! let alone some jumped up type writer.....Sorry fanboy moment, I'll go take my tablets and lie down.

I love the last two pics. Proper modding without going to the fast and furious side.

Well, I wouldn't say I like the looks of the bare carbon on the 1 series, I think it would look good if it was painted totally white.

Also for all you AE86 lovers out there like me, check this out if you haven't already, N2 championship here we come!

http://speedhunters.com/archive/200...hift-gt-gt-the-little-corolla-that-could.aspx

Not sure about the "works" mod though :odd:

It makes me gutted that I'll probably never race you guys on anything other than GT5 since I buy all cross platform games for the 360. :(

This was captured from an high-end PC. PC version looks better, from what I've read

Those are clearly retouched and/or down sampled. The PC version will look really good but I don't know if it will look THAT good.

I may need to upgrade the old 8800 GTS.

Anyone else think this game might be a GT5 killer?

On a PC the graphics will be better than GT5 and early word seems to indicate better physics, better sound and better driver's experience.

On a PC the graphics will be better than GT5 and early word seems to indicate better physics, better sound and better driver's experience.

For the 'casual' gamer, physics don't really matter, they will play the game on the easier difficulties much like they would play Gran Turismo on Standard physics. They want a to believe they are driving a car and if it behaves overall similar to a real car, and they can race at 300kph then all good.

As for the hardcore racer, I don't think Shift approaches what GT5Prologue offers. From what I've seen and read, their 'pro physics' appear (to me) to lie between GT's standard and pro physics. Probably closer to Ferrari Challenge/Supercar Challenge.

All in all I think I'm going to have to play this first before making a decision on the physics, It might not be Race PRO or Ferrari Challenge level although we have got people comparing it to GTR2 and saying it's better so I don't know. It seems very mixed bag all in all but hey I only have 3 more days to wait before I can get my hands on it. When I do I will do a decent sized write up about the game and try and describe how the physics feel for the people who are unsure wether to buy this or not.

There are a couple of things that stops Shift from being a serious contender in the long run, such as limited amount of cars/tracks, no pit stops (this is a big one for online racing), limited or no auctions/community related features, as well as a pretty rudimentary paint shop.

And, I know this isn't the right place to say something like this, but the benchmark for me has changed from GT5 to FM3. I don't doubt for a second that GT5 will be a great single player game (as will Shift), but I'm worried that it might not be able to put up when it comes to online and community features. I really hope that I'm proven wrong though, as I have had a PS3 gathering dust for two years just waiting for GT5 :dunce:

Not a proper GT fan then as Prologue has been out less than that time:sly:

Oh, I've played my share of GT5P - 4 and a half times through the career - but it's not exactly a big game... :P

It hasn't been completely useless, but I really hope GT5 will be worth the €500 I payed for the console as I have and most likely will get X360 versions of multiplatform titles.

Last edited:
Any idea what sort of PC it was? I'd love to know how well it'll run on my E6600 with an 8800GTS 320mb.

Rod, on Speedhunters answered a guy in the comments with this sentence : "Rav3n these screens are done with a full blown gaming PC (sorry i'd have to look up the specs)"

@ MowTin

Scaled-down captures always look nicer anyway. Rod certifies this screenies are untouched.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been posted but here are the minimum PC System requirements:

Required – Internet Connection
OS - Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) / Windows 7
Processor – Intel Core™2 Duo 1.6 GHz or faster
Memory – XP: 1 GB RAM; Vista/Windows 7: 1.5 GB RAM
Hard Drive – 6 GB
DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
Video Card – 256 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 3.0*
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX - DirectX 9.0c compatible
Online Multiplayer – 512 Kbps or faster; 2-12 Players
Input - Keyboard, Mouse
Optional – USB Steering Wheel / Dual Analogue Gamepad

*Supported Video Cards: ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB or greater; NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

Rod, on Speedhunters answered a guy in the comments with this sentence : "Rav3n these screens are done with a full blown gaming PC (sorry i'd have to look up the specs)"

@ MowTin

Scaled-down captures always look nicer anyway. Rod certifies this screenies are untouched.

I don't know about past NFS games but SHIFT comes with PHOTOMODE that's easily accessible during races- pause>menu>photomode- so most of these PC shots are probably from photomode where there will be added AA and other image improvements you normally get from the mode.

I have a Dell SXPS16 with a P8700 2.53ghz 3mb cache cpu, 4gb ddr3 ram and a ATi M Radeon 4670hd with 1gb of ddr3 video ram. About at what setting would I be able to play Shift at 60fps. I can play GRiD at 55fps on max settings with no AA so I would assume max or close to max for Shift.

I don't know about past NFS games but SHIFT comes with PHOTOMODE that's easily accessible during races- pause>menu>photomode- so most of these PC shots are probably from photomode where there will be added AA and other image improvements you normally get from the mode.

Yes there is Photomode, but it doesn't altering screenshots in any way. We don't need it you know... :sly:

Well, if its high end PC then you could add large amounts AA and AF (anisotropic filtering) and other potential goodies in regular gameplay as well as photomode. Its only consoles which have to "cheat" by adding filters only in replay modes, high end PCs can add them all the time :P

Yesterday I played GT5P on an 46" Samsung LED TV by an friend. I had forgotten how good GT5P was looking! I don´t think that any game can touch the GT5(P) graphics!

Yesterday I played GT5P on an 46" Samsung LED TV by an friend. I had forgotten how good GT5P was looking! I don´t think that any game can touch the GT5(P) graphics!

Graphics wise, GT is still the best. ;)👍
Hope that PD would continue upgrading the car sounds for GT5 FULL. :)

Well GT5 will be the best Racing Game ever made , Shift got no chance against all the tracks cars and graphics. But the gameplay of Shift owns the gameplay of GT , you feel to drive fast a car , the G-Force , the awesome sense of speed the sound and all that , a way deeper experience when it comes to driving. Well GT gameplay is kinda boring , it's static the sense of speed is really low there is no G-Force effects and not really great sound. Only thing it does right is the driving physic , thats my opinion.

I can´t say anything about shift because I haven´t played it or seen it on my ps3. The only thing I say is that the GT5P graphics are still amazing... I was shocked yesterday how good the game looks...

But I will buy shift for sure... I´m sure its a good game.

Latest Posts

Back