Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
Graphics wise, GT is still the best. ;)đź‘Ť
Hope that PD would continue upgrading the car sounds for GT5 FULL. :)

SHIFT is pretty good by all accounts but if there's one thing GT has over these other games when it comes to graphics is the car animation especially in the replay mode. The car movement in GT has a uncanny resemblance to the real thing- weight of the car and how well the suspension moves and the how the tires relate to the pavement are the few things that no other games can quite match. And the replays- unlike most there games, where the camera angles would repeat after every lap, in GT you get different angles on almost every lap. If it does repeat, it would be after 3 or 4 laps.

It is true. When you haven't seen GT5P in a while, it just blows you away all over again, how amazingly life like it is.

It's difficult to say just how well (the PS3 version) of Shift will compare. Looking at grainy YouTube videos that SEEM to be impressive, may end up being rather disappointing. At least in comparison.

We'll see. And not too much longer now.

I'll be getting this game tonight when I pick up my copy of NHL '10 for PS3 at midnight.

NFS: S will be played on my gaming PC:

Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
Gigabyte X48-DQ6
G.Skill 4GB DDR2-8500
Asus 4890 TOP @ 950/4508

Playing at 1080p on my Olevia 747i, HDMI through my Onkyo 607.

We'll see what's up when I get this thing running and rockin with my G25 and I'll be sure to pay special attention to the ONLINE RACING OPTIONS.

I'll be getting this game tonight when I pick up my copy of NHL '10 for PS3 at midnight.

đź‘Ť Now there's devotion. Amazon has my order ready to ship and I should have it tomorrow around noon. It's pathetic I know but I'll actually be leaving work early tomorrow to try it out.

I know there are already thousands of people who managed to nab a copy early but those few unanswered questions about the on-line options are just bugging me. I'll post as soon as I know one way or the other.

Well, if NHL '10 didn't have a 'Midnight Release Party', I'd be picking it up tomorrow too. :dopey: Here in Canada, NHL '10 will sell out fast so I made sure to have a pre-order in.

Online options and frame rate/image quality comparisons for NFS are going to be top priorty tonight though. đź‘Ť

Well, if NHL '10 didn't have a 'Midnight Release Party', I'd be picking it up tomorrow too. :dopey: Here in Canada, NHL '10 will sell out fast so I made sure to have a pre-order in.

Online options and frame rate/image quality comparisons for NFS are going to be top priorty tonight though. đź‘Ť

Right how many hours do I have to wait for the online question to be awnsered! LOL what I think most of us want to know is this

1 Can you host your own race?

2 If so what options do you get in regards to lobby/race options?

A few examples

track selection
car selection
car restrictions
track time of day
number of laps
clean or agresive racer restrictions
kick player
invite friends

I'm not expecting to have ALL of those options and some I already know about, but for those of us more interestead in the online racing than the single player they are the 2 biggest unawnserd (hinted at) questions about this game.

If you goto online then select unranked race it should give you the hosting options if there there.
:)

Well, my copy is now officially "on the way" and you'll have my answer in about 24 hours from now. Give or take. ;) But I suspect others will spill the beans first. Let's hope they're magic beans.

From the other thread peoples impresions are way out there in the stratosphere LOL Will be good to get some grounded impressions from the "regulars"

Nice vid, not the usual crash fests which seem to have flooded youtube.

Last edited:
Great footage đź‘Ť It's amazing how much more ALIVE the game looks and sounds compared to GT5P :lol: I'm really looking forward to tommorow :)

^ Did anyone notice there was no cockpit blurring during high speed?
I guess it can be turned off in PC version. Great driving with all assist off đź‘Ť

WOW! I gotta admit I have'nt really paid any attention to this one till now. But from the video there it looks SO much better than anything else out now. They seemed to pull most of the elements together,seems almost alive.

no splitscreen, no demo, at least not before release.

It dose start to blur but the cars geared too high as he only just manages to top 120mph down the straighs so it's only slightly blured, think the cars standard with no tuneing done to it.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping they left out the tranny whine and brake sound for bone stock cars, so far every car I've heard has it:boggled: It's like they can't escape their GTR roots:lol:

no splitscreen, no demo, at least not before release.

ah thats a shame :nervous: 65 euro then is not worth it. Gonna wait for the 30 euro 'platinum' deal (but then hopefully gt will be out already:tup: which would make it an no but at all)

It dose start to blur but the cars geared too high as he only just manages to top 120mph down the straighs so it's only slightly blured, think the cars standard with no tuneing done to it.
When you hold a gun to my head I will deny it:confused:, but I do remember to have seen one screenshot of the video settings options (PC version) and I do recall to have seen the option BLUR set at high (so there should be other options).........................but maybe that was just me wishfull dreaming :)

[EDIT] Just read the blur, is just a minor motion blur on screen with you can alter. The blur in cockpit or crashes are not changeble it seems, hopefully there will be "text files" on the PC that you can alter :( )

No doubt someone will have a PC version very shortly and make some nice screenshots of the menu options ;)

And thanks for the video, once a day you need a good one :P

Last edited:
I´ve read an german review from a man who plays racing sims... He knows the GTR2,GT Legends,GT5P and all other sim physics and he says "wow" to the shift physics... he means that they feel like the GT Legends physics but much more balanced...

He says that the first hour nfs shift was horrible because he can´t hold the car on the track (with pad) and then he changed to the steering wheel and he tells that NFS Shift begins now with the wheel...

He gives the game an 8/10 because he don´t like the bonus points wich told the driver "kick the other cars of the track" "crash other cars" and so on...

Now after we read some reviews here and in the internet I think SMS have done some good job with the physics... I think I will get that game too on PS3...

One thing I noticed about this game that looks really fake is the random sliding of the car. Sometimes these guys take a corner a little too fast and the car goes into a four wheel drift and suddenly comes back.. Very unrealistic IMO

He gives the game an 8/10 because he don´t like the bonus points wich told the driver "kick the other cars of the track" "crash other cars" and so on...

That's because you can "level up" as an aggresive (crashing and spinning other cars) or a casual (clean passes, good cornering) driver. You don't NEED to crash into ohter cars, it's only an option.

An interesting PS3 and 360 version comparison:

3921701866_2e206b183c_o.jpg

3920919727_5622f5459f_o.jpg

3921702588_58fdb8ee21_o.jpg

3921701616_8e6d47a786_o.jpg

3921702206_6695d5a163_o.jpg

I never see much notable difference in these PS3 and Xbox360 comparisons with multiport console games.

One thing I noticed about this game that looks really fake is the random sliding of the car. Sometimes these guys take a corner a little too fast and the car goes into a four wheel drift and suddenly comes back.. Very unrealistic IMO

Something I have noticed too, I thought it was only on some assists mode but from the flood of new videos it seems all cars do it with all assist and physics modes. From the external cam it looks like the car is constantly rotating on it's axis and back whenever you don't take a corner smooth (which is rare in all the videos).

360 is much brighter but, it makes it look more plastic than dimmed Ps3 version.

It looks like someone put up the brightness. but besides that, they look pretty much flawless in comparison.

Damn...it looks great. And having the option to have no stickers (factory) is another good thing. Man, I want this game. A lot.

Back