Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
It's 2:30am and I'm beat, but here's the screen people are lookin for. Private races, yes. There aren't a ton of options, but I'm ok with just seeing the option for private racing.

shift2009091502175791.png

Looks to be running at 35-60 FPS (FRAPS) at 1920x1080, 8xAA. My PC specs are listed earlier. The graphics absolute walk those PS3/360 comparison shots. I'm likely to tone down the AA settings to get 60FPS, but I'm not monkeying around with that until tomorrow.

And yes, I bought a Chevy Cobalt SS for my first ride.

Tomorrow's going to be a fun day.

Last edited:
It's 2:30am and I'm beat, but here's the screen people are lookin for. Private races, yes. There aren't a ton of options, but I'm ok with just seeing the option for private racing.

Looks to be running at 35-60 FPS (FRAPS) at 1920x1080, 8xAA. My PC specs are listed earlier. The graphics absolute walk those PS3/360 comparison shots. I'm likely to tone down the AA settings to get 60FPS, but I'm not monkeying around with that until tomorrow.

Thanks!! :cheers:

Can someone please take me a screeny of the Aero mods as I'm wondering if you can buy the parts separately or if they are in a bundle.

shift2009091502175791.png

Cheers...thats the pic I wanted! 👍

Alright! 👍:cheers: Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this! I feel SO much better. Well, 99% better anyway.

Now all we need is the same screen shot from the PS3 version. Sorry--I'm a total Doubting Thomas. ;)

Permisions
Mode
Racetype

What are those? and what options do you have? What, you didn't expect your excellent replie to raise more questions? also when your in the custom lobby itself, can you kick players as host? that last one might be a hard one to find out.
I know this is the PC version but I'm hopeful the options for online are the same on the PS3.

I'm not quite sure where IGN UK were looking when they reviewed this but the online options dont look "lite" to me! Everything seems in place to setup online races including drifrent race types (drift?) plus an AI option to fill the field out. As long as the servers are stable (which I have no reason to belive otherwise with 8 cars) then I think we need a sub forum setting up for some online compertitions and tuning setups.....

Last edited:
8 is good enough, better than craming 16 in just to look good on the back of the box at the expence of stable racing, we saw that with FC.

Nice to see you can restrict the car class like GT5p and Forza. though this can be done verbily in the lobby with friends I supose.

I've not heard any complaints about the wheel or dreaded deadzones so thats good, I have heard the hands don't track your hands on the wheel 1:1 but I did notice in car setup theres steering responce settings on a slider so a bit of fidleing should sort it. If you look at the last video I posted the hand movements are prety small compared to some of the videos with stock cars, I think this is how he improved it. (sorry very minor thing I know)
I have also noticed a loading info page which discribes a trafic light system for friends times. From what I could tell in time trial it gives you sector times of your friends as you pass timing points, a bit like F1 qualifying.......sounded good I'll see if I can dig it out.

8 is good enough, better than craming 16 in just to look good on the back of the box at the expence of stable racing, we saw that with FC.

Nice to see you can restrict the car class like GT5p and Forza. though this can be done verbily in the lobby with friends I supose.

I've not heard any complaints about the wheel or dreaded deadzones so thats good, I have heard the hands don't track your hands on the wheel 1:1 but I did notice in car setup theres steering responce settings on a slider so a bit of fidleing should sort it. If you look at the last video I posted the hand movements are prety small compared to some of the videos with stock cars, I think this is how he improved it. (sorry very minor thing I know)
I have also noticed a loading info page which discribes a trafic light system for friends times. From what I could tell in time trial it gives you sector times of your friends as you pass timing points, a bit like F1 qualifying.......sounded good I'll see if I can dig it out.

Definitely no deadzones with the g25. The wheel is a bit overwhelming initially. Wheel constantly moving one way or another but you eventually get used to it. The cars have a bit too much of a habbit to oversteer but physics wise I would rate it fairly close to SCC/FC.

My only gripe thus far has to be the AI at times are a bit dirty. I had a car overtaken from the inside approaching the corner but slightly overcooked the corner. The AI was more than happy to smash into me and continue like I'm not there which would force me straight off the track.

Has only happened 1-2 times so far.

Thanks! 👍

One question: I see an AI difficulty setting in that screen, but greyed and with "N/A". What does this mean? Is there the possibility of throwing AI cars in an online race, but not in that particular mode?

Both in TRD3 (PS2) and in V8 Superstars you can fill the unused grid slots of a online lobby with AI cars and I really like that option, but I'm a bit confused by what that picture means.

8 players isn't exactly groundbreaking but more cars on track doesn't always mean a better race, especially on some of those tight city tracks!

This is not limited to time trial mode. Basically, whilst you are playing through the single player game for all games modes (except drift) I *think* it records the total amount of time it takes you to complete an event (race, time attack, manufacturer race, etc) and then when you get back to the front end it compares your total race time to any of your friends which have played the game. If you were the fastest at completing that event, that event will get a green glow around it on the event selection menu and you "own" it, if one of you friends set a faster total race time, it will have a red glow around it on the event selection menu and they "own" it - at which point you may wish to retry and have a go at beating your friend :) Sounds like quite a cool feature.

In addition to this, there are seperate online leaderboards for best lap times, etc.

8 players isn't exactly groundbreaking but more cars on track doesn't always mean a better race, especially on some of those tight city tracks!

This is not limited to time trial mode. Basically, whilst you are playing through the single player game for all games modes (except drift) I *think* it records the total amount of time it takes you to complete an event (race, time attack, manufacturer race, etc) and then when you get back to the front end it compares your total race time to any of your friends which have played the game. If you were the fastest at completing that event, that event will get a green glow around it on the event selection menu and you "own" it, if one of you friends set a faster total race time, it will have a red glow around it on the event selection menu and they "own" it - at which point you may wish to retry and have a go at beating your friend :) Sounds like quite a cool feature.

In addition to this, there are seperate online leaderboards for best lap times, etc.

Sounds nice, I like 👍 :cheers:

Wow I really need to get my PS3 fixed. I want to have a serious online race on the Nordschleife!

Cheers Tyson, that sounds like a nice feature still can't find the video I saw it in LOL

As for the AI J-Pap that has a faint whiff of FC's AI. if you defend your line well your ok but if your slower and you've left the door open or even slightly ajar the AI will get all touring cars and try and squeeze you out physicaly. Hated it at first on FC but then it really added to the AI expeience making defending your position as important as moving up the field!

What!......Drop the aparently? hmmm well ok but only to possibley for now LOL

OK I'll concide, sarcasim droped, it's confirmed LOL

My copy of Shift has arrived! 👍:cheers: Yay!

But I'm at work and have a few hours to go. 👎 Booo!

A few interesting things of note on the PS3 version box:

1. Supported video output: 720p. Bugger. I was hoping for 1080p but I guess it was just easier for them to keep the Xbox360 and PS3 versions the same?

2. online players 2-8. So we know this should be the same as the PC version.

3. It shows headset support. So I'm guessing there will be live chat, at least in the lobbies. 👍

Are PS3 games living in the dark ages when it comes to in-game chat or something? It's just I see posts asking about if a game supports voice chat like all the time. It's pretty much a given for any xbox game that has multiplayer really.

Are PS3 games living in the dark ages when it comes to in-game chat or something? It's just I see posts asking about if a game supports voice chat like all the time. It's pretty much a given for any xbox game that has multiplayer really.

This is gtplanet, home of Gran Turismo fans worldwide. And GT5P doesn't have voice chat.

EDIT: Jeff, you are a lucky fellow! ;) Will wait your review. Please check if we can add AI cars to online races, I didn't get an answer on that yet!

SS145115%20copy.jpg

SS1452%207%20copy.jpg

SS15%20424.jpg

SS144210%20copy.jpg

Anyone up for a cozie race on saturday? LOL

We await jjaisli's first impresions later tonight........Right I'm off to pester him with a never ending barage of PSN messages while he's playing.......you know everyone dose it when you get a new game LOL

Love those screenies, but it's wrong to have the 'Scort Cossie without the whale-tail.

No. Well, not for at least 10 days, anyway. :cool: But to be honest, between NFS:Shift, Supercar Challenge, and the imminent arrival of GT5, I really doubt I'll be playing Prologue much again, if ever.

We await jjaisli's first impresions later tonight........Right I'm off to pester him with a never ending barage of PSN messages while he's playing.

LOL!

My copy of Shift has arrived! 👍:cheers: Yay!

But I'm at work and have a few hours to go. 👎 Booo!

A few interesting things of note on the PS3 version box:

1. Supported video output: 720p. Bugger. I was hoping for 1080p but I guess it was just easier for them to keep the Xbox360 and PS3 versions the same?

2. online players 2-8. So we know this should be the same as the PC version.

3. It shows headset support. So I'm guessing there will be live chat, at least in the lobbies. 👍
I'll be reading your impression with great interest chap. Hope it's good for ya.

I'll be waiting for the demo though before I buy in to the game.

Back