Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
SS15%20424.jpg
That Evo looks horrid.

The guy who dose the cars for the speed hunters site (he works for EA) has a horrid liking for painting all his cars mat black, or matt white with a black bonet....as for the cozzie thats a stage 2 body kit so the whale tail could be either standard or Mk1 body kit?

After about 6 hours straight of NFS: Shift on my PC with my G25 @ a resolution of 1920x1080 on my 47" HDTV and a beer in the cupholder... wow.

For time trialing, I can rock 8xAA with maximum detail settings and the frame rate, measured with FRAPS, ranges from 75-125. Awesome. Nordschleife has never looked so good in a videogame. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for when other cars are on the track. I'm forced to turn down the AA and set the track detail settings to 'medium' in order to maintain a solid frame rate while racing against a full field of opponents. I kind of expected to have to do that though, since I'm only running a single 4890 1GB graphics card. I'm using Windows 7-64bit, by the way.

The handling seems pretty good to me, pro settings with no assists. It took me a few races to get the hang of it, but once you figure out your car's braking threshold, everything seems to click. I find the cars to be a little bit twitchy, personally, but a FWD car certainly feels like a FWD car and the same can be said for AWD and RWD rides. The e46 M3, for example, gives a really satisfying little tail snap as you jump on the throttle while rounding the apex.

I have yet to jump online. I've progressed into tier 2 events in Career mode and just can't seem to get tired of time-trialing Nordschleife via the Quick Race option; which incidentally happens to be an awesome spot to rack up profile points to level up your driver and rake in some cash for upgrades.

The sound... out of this world. The whine of the supercharger in the Cobalt SS is just phenominal and the hiss of the turbo in the e46 is spot on. You can definitely hear the VTEC kick in, yo, when ramping up the RPM's on the Civic Si. If you're not rocking some 5.1/7.1/9.1 speakers, you're truly missing out. I'm sure my neighbors are a little upset with me at the moment.

I'm having a hard time finding anything negative to say about this game. It's fantastic and an absolute treat for any G25 owner, especially those who own a decent gaming PC.

BUY IT!

. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for when other cars are on the track. I'm forced to turn down the AA and set the track detail settings to 'medium' in order to maintain a solid frame rate while racing against a full field of opponents.

There is an article stating that AMD cards have a few driver issues with NFS:Shift. An update will be coming soon with optimizations:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...engine-info-and-Full-HD-screenshots/Practice/

They reckon my older PC with an 8800GT should cope fine at 1680x1050 with sufficient AA/AF. I'll have to wait and see though :) My G25 is waiting impatiently...

After about 6 hours straight of NFS: Shift on my PC with my G25 @ a resolution of 1920x1080 on my 47" HDTV and a beer in the cupholder... wow.

For time trialing, I can rock 8xAA with maximum detail settings and the frame rate, measured with FRAPS, ranges from 75-125. Awesome. Nordschleife has never looked so good in a videogame. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for when other cars are on the track. I'm forced to turn down the AA and set the track detail settings to 'medium' in order to maintain a solid frame rate while racing against a full field of opponents. I kind of expected to have to do that though, since I'm only running a single 4890 1GB graphics card. I'm using Windows 7-64bit, by the way.

The handling seems pretty good to me, pro settings with no assists. It took me a few races to get the hang of it, but once you figure out your car's braking threshold, everything seems to click. I find the cars to be a little bit twitchy, personally, but a FWD car certainly feels like a FWD car and the same can be said for AWD and RWD rides. The e46 M3, for example, gives a really satisfying little tail snap as you jump on the throttle while rounding the apex.

I have yet to jump online. I've progressed into tier 2 events in Career mode and just can't seem to get tired of time-trialing Nordschleife via the Quick Race option; which incidentally happens to be an awesome spot to rack up profile points to level up your driver and rake in some cash for upgrades.

The sound... out of this world. The whine of the supercharger in the Cobalt SS is just phenominal and the hiss of the turbo in the e46 is spot on. You can definitely hear the VTEC kick in, yo, when ramping up the RPM's on the Civic Si. If you're not rocking some 5.1/7.1/9.1 speakers, you're truly missing out. I'm sure my neighbors are a little upset with me at the moment.

I'm having a hard time finding anything negative to say about this game. It's fantastic and an absolute treat for any G25 owner, especially those who own a decent gaming PC.

BUY IT!
:drool::drool::drool:

By the way, it seems people with ATI cards are having problems with Shift, Nvidia cards are running the game with much better framerates. So it's probably just a driver issue and I'm sure ATI will look into it.

Yeah, I'll certainly be looking into it a little later. Didn't really have much of a concern knocking down the AA and flipping one setting to medium though. Game seems to be running like a champ, as far as I'm concerned.

I have an 8800gt sli system I might install Shift on sometime, just to see the difference.

People running ATi cards less than a 4890 might have some concerns. I'll just be a little more happy if there is a driver release that allows me to throw 8xAA back on full grid race events.

If a 4850 will struggle, I'll probably pick this up on PS3 first, then get it for PC when I get either a 5870 or 5870X2.

If a 4850 will struggle, I'll probably pick this up on PS3 first, then get it for PC when I get either a 5870 or 5870X2.

Well the PS3 version will only be running at 1280x720, probably with 2xAA or maximally 4xAA (I'd bet on 2xAA). I assume a "lowly" 4850 can outdo that comfortably, at least once they've solved their driver issues. It's 2 generations later GPU technology than the PS3, after all.

There is an article stating that AMD cards have a few driver issues with NFS:Shift. An update will be coming soon with optimizations:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...engine-info-and-Full-HD-screenshots/Practice/

They reckon my older PC with an 8800GT should cope fine at 1680x1050 with sufficient AA/AF. I'll have to wait and see though :) My G25 is waiting impatiently...

Thanks for the article! Didn't know they are using PhysX on PC. That's really good news for Nvidia card owners.

Cannot wait for my copy of the game to arrive in the next week. :)

Ah great the 30 fps lock was just an internet thingie :)

As for the steering did you find it linear? And how much can you alter the force feedback?

Well the PS3 version will only be running at 1280x720, probably with 2xAA or maximally 4xAA (I'd bet on 2xAA). I assume a "lowly" 4850 can outdo that comfortably, at least once they've solved their driver issues. It's 2 generations later GPU technology than the PS3, after all.

There is so much more that goes in to PC gaming than the bench-marked video card. Thats why having a standard(consoles) has a slight advantage.

I'm not too happy with the car list, and it goes along with EA's get less than a years play out of it and DLC that should have come with the game. 57 cars 18tracks does not seem like much now a days.

Last edited:
There is so much more that goes in to PC gaming than the bench-marked video card. Thats why having a standard(consoles) has a slight advantage.

Video card power gives you a pretty good indication unless you have something else wrong with your PC (not enough RAM or other under performing parts) or the game is CPU bound. The console advantage is only "slight", my 2yo PC runs games at a higher graphics level than consoles whilst also at a higher resolution. A PC with a 4850 SHOULD out perform a console, drivers being decent and the rest of the PC being at least average.

Well I've been playing now for a while and I gotta say, it's a fun game, but just a few things:

- Does anyone else have an issue using a DFP? I spent a while fiddling with settings and never seemed to get it to feel good. Mainly its this huge deadzone when driving more or less straight. Removed d-zone and its still very much there. Also FFB is a bit weak even at (10). Someone please tell me its far better with a g25:nervous:

-Gave up and figured i'd atleast test out the d-pad. Not bad, but still feeling controllability issues. It's either numb and vague/floaty feeling or with sensitivity turned up way too twitchy. Perhaps I'm not used to it

-Physics are: pretty darn good in the sense the tires are truly responding to the road in a believable way. Cars hop over undulations and curbs. Get light over crests and come down realistically. Also suspension tuning seems to have a very tangible effect on car balance which is awsome. Play with roll bars and you'll notice it. And yet something feels floaty and strangely forza2 ish about it all. This may be the fact that I'm not quite comfortable with the whole dynamic of the cars yet, or maybe the dfp just sucks for this game?

-Graphics are anywhere from pretty good to no that great. Again something really reminds me of forza2. Photo mode shot look great, but cars are not that stunning to me.

-As cool as cockpit view is I've started just using bumper/ or hood cam as wheel animation is'nt even close to matching what you're doing. It's pretty lame actually

-I'm experiencing FRAME DROP around certain tracks and it's very distracting. Seems to be bad around willow.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I noticed on XMB that the game works realtime and u can see what he is doing atm. That's a really cool feature. So far i only seen it in LBP and Socom.

Great video gagtooth, your brother has epic skilllz, looking forward for the tutorial :D

Appie, that's right, I just noticed a friend was racing in P5, had a huge crash and is now leading the race.
Verdict: the man is a punter working on his agression skills :lol:

Well I've been playing now for a while and I gotta say, it's a fun game, but just a few things:

- Does anyone else have an issue using a DFP? I spent a while fiddling with settings and never seemed to get it to feel good. Mainly its this huge deadzone when driving more or less straight. Removed d-zone and its still very much there. Also FFB is a bit weak even at (10). Someone please tell me its far better with a g25:nervous:

The FFB is also weak on the G25. I changed the steering sensitivity to 25%, but then defaulted it back. Seems ok for now with front wheel drive car. I think it'll take a lot of tweaking to get the controls to feel just right. It looks like there are enough options to do so. I'll probably have to wait and play some more on Friday, work and school -_-.

The FFB is also weak on the G25. I changed the steering sensitivity to 25%, but then defaulted it back. Seems ok for now with front wheel drive car. I think it'll take a lot of tweaking to get the controls to feel just right. It looks like there are enough options to do so. I'll probably have to wait and play some more on Friday, work and school -_-.

How many cars have you driven so far? The slower cars at the beginning do seem to have weak FF. Later on though when you start getting faster, and faster cars, the FF will start to make your arms work more and more. I just got done with a 3 lap race on the Spa with a real race car and my forearms are pretty worn out.

It all depends on if it's Front wheel, rear wheel, or AWD on how the FF works. It's the first game I've played that each car really has a completely different feal with the steering wheels weight and FF.

Maybe I'm crazy and imagining things, but that's how it's seemed so far for me.
The online seems pretty good from the 1 race I've had. No lag at all, and it was a pretty decent race for the first 2 laps, until I completely ruined myself and got beat by 5 seconds.

Hi Guys,

Well, I'll have to give you a 'full' review tomorrow. When I got home, both my wife and daughter were sick with the flu and I needed to take my daughter to the doctor and then tidy up, change sheets, make dinner, etc. So it was rather late when I first put the game in the PS3 and I don't think I was truly in the right frame of mind to go into this objectively. I also think, unlike SCC, where I wasn't expecting much and ended up being quite suprised, I think my expectations of Shift have become impossibly high and I've come away tonight rather disappointed on many levels. So I need to sleep on it and let it settle.

It's certainly not a complete failure and it has many positive qualities, and I'll elaborate on both in the morning. But I would say, anybody looking for a high quality sim type game to rival GT5 is going to come away hugely disappointed.

For those sitting on the fence about this game, sit there a bit longer. More to come.

You can see what he is doing in real time? :drool: Like, a spectator kind of mode?

Pretty much. Like if he's in the menu, it'll say, "Navigating Menu" or in a race, it'll tell you which one and what-not. Really cool feature.👍

Back