Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
LOL! Clearly, there's a lot of excitement being generated over this game. Last night I saw my first live TV ad. Sad to say it was worse than any of the crash and bang videos we've seen on here.

But this one below takes it to a whole new level... ;)
:mad: :lol: :lol:

im saying that need for speed will turn it into a gt wanna be by putting tracks that suck and having a selection of cars which are not realistic.

What silly comment did he make then??

IMO, he probably just answered a simple question about NFS Shift damage, get's aked why their doors don't fall of and explains how PD got smart and found a way around the "driver/cockpit damage limitation"

You just answered your question....

PD didn't 'find' a way around it at all, WRC cars have rollcages.. He should have known that, especially after "looking closely".

Anyway maybe we should keep this discussion in a thread that was made for it

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120034

and keep this thread for actual Shift info and discussion

Last edited:
Jay
You just answered your question....

PD didn't 'find' a way around it at all, WRC cars have rollcages.. He should have known that, especially after "looking closely".

Anyway maybe we should keep this discussion in a thread that was made for it

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120034

and keep this thread for actual Shift info and discussion

Thanks for the link but no thx, would have been fun 20 years ago, but not going to argue with the GTDF over nothing ;)

So like I sad before if you want to believe everything you read on the internet, esspecially on site like this, when statements already have rejected or updated, be my guest, just don't expect me to do the same ;)

that sounds like the opposite, it's the heavy feeling of the cars that made braking important and you could not go through corner with high speed at all.

I think you have another nfs in mind.

I have NFS: Pro Street lying right here in my living room... Played it for a while when I first got my PS3 almost 2 years ago... and I thought the physics were half-assed so to say... it was a good try for NFS to get "serious" but didnt turn out well IMO... Im sure its the same NFS you mean.. with racing, drifting, drag racing and high speed runs as Ryan Cooper if Im not mistaken... I didnt like it at all and only 200 degrees of motion on the steering wheel... :yuck::yuck: I finished all events within a week... So I didnt find it challenging at all either...

So like I sad before if you want to believe everything you read on the internet, esspecially on site like this, when statements already have rejected or updated, be my guest, just don't expect me to do the same ;)

I don't expect you to believe it, but don't expect others not to believe it especially since there is no actual proof it is false, even after the update. ;)

im saying that need for speed will turn it into a gt wanna be by putting tracks that suck and having a selection of cars which are not realistic.

That statement is fanboy(ish) to say the least.

Anyway, I don't think NFS: Shift aims to be a Gran Turismo "kind of game". I think it aims more to be a "GTR EVO" kind of game, with some twists to please the traditional NFS fan-base.

So, it's a game based on race cars, not road cars. And - here lies my greatest hope - it's a "RACING" oriented game, not a "DRIVING" oriented game.

So, I hope great physics and great AI to provide great racing offline. Graphics and Sound seem high level too.

Still ... the lack of tyre wear and pits makes for an incomplete racing experience, that's for me the major letdown of this game.

Jay
I don't expect you to believe it, but don't expect others not to believe it especially since there is no actual proof it is false, even after the update. ;)
If you, with the assumtions you make come to that conclusion, you are indeed entitled so, so let's leave it there ;)

Shift is mostly based on street cars, there are a few race spec cars such as the audi r8 LMS and the bmw m3 gt2 but it's most stock cars which you can upgrade with racing parts.

so it's basicly up to you if you want racey or drivey :P

Brands hatch Sucks? Maserati MC12 FIA GT not realistic? Huh?

Well, I've played Shift, so I can put some words into this.

The game feels good. The physics felt real, and the courses were modeled well. I took a 1995 BMW M3 out on the Nurb, and I could drive the whole track because it was modeled well, and the car felt a lot like a real M3. The interior was also spot on, felt like I was looking at a picture of my own car's, minus the few Euro to USA differences.

Customization I didn't get much time to play with sadly, as I had other things to do at PAX. However, it is detailed it looks like, and the fact I could tell someone had bought Falken Azenis RT-615's for their S2000 based off the tread alone was neat.

Opponent AI is also impressive. There is the scoring system for clean or aggressive driving habits, and other cars will react accordingly. While running the Nurb, I slammed into an RX-8 pretty hard, and from that point on, that car would bump me at every corner, and attempt to spin me out (which it did quite well, twice) but not in a way that felt like cold, calculated AI moves. As I said before, I was impressed.

Only thing I had against it came more down to how the XBOX360 controller feels. The stick on the XBOX controller is very stiff so getting small, precise inputs was very hard to manage at times, felt more like I was tapping the D-pad almost. But I've had this grip with the XBOX controller for a while now, so yeah. Game control should be great with a wheel.

All in all, I'll probably end up buying Shift when it comes out, provided I have the time to play it between work and school :indiff:

Great--Appreciate the input! 👍 I haven't heard from anybody who's played Shift and come away disappointed. It's looking good.

I have NFS: Pro Street lying right here in my living room... Played it for a while when I first got my PS3 almost 2 years ago... and I thought the physics were half-assed so to say... it was a good try for NFS to get "serious" but didnt turn out well IMO... Im sure its the same NFS you mean.. with racing, drifting, drag racing and high speed runs as Ryan Cooper if Im not mistaken... I didnt like it at all and only 200 degrees of motion on the steering wheel... :yuck::yuck: I finished all events within a week... So I didnt find it challenging at all either...

Have you got an oversupply of full-stops that you're trying to get rid of by the end of the week or something...?...

Well, I've played Shift, so I can put some words into this.

The game feels good. The physics felt real, and the courses were modeled well. I took a 1995 BMW M3 out on the Nurb, and I could drive the whole track because it was modeled well, and the car felt a lot like a real M3. The interior was also spot on, felt like I was looking at a picture of my own car's, minus the few Euro to USA differences.

Customization I didn't get much time to play with sadly, as I had other things to do at PAX. However, it is detailed it looks like, and the fact I could tell someone had bought Falken Azenis RT-615's for their S2000 based off the tread alone was neat.

Opponent AI is also impressive. There is the scoring system for clean or aggressive driving habits, and other cars will react accordingly. While running the Nurb, I slammed into an RX-8 pretty hard, and from that point on, that car would bump me at every corner, and attempt to spin me out (which it did quite well, twice) but not in a way that felt like cold, calculated AI moves. As I said before, I was impressed.

Only thing I had against it came more down to how the XBOX360 controller feels. The stick on the XBOX controller is very stiff so getting small, precise inputs was very hard to manage at times, felt more like I was tapping the D-pad almost. But I've had this grip with the XBOX controller for a while now, so yeah. Game control should be great with a wheel.

All in all, I'll probably end up buying Shift when it comes out, provided I have the time to play it between work and school :indiff:
Thanks for this feedback.

You say that 'the physics felt real' but, in your opinion, how much geared towards a simulation is Shift? For the record I play/played all GT's, all Froza's, Race Pro, Ferrari Challenge and Supercar Challenge.

Also, regarding the A.I. Does the A.I. adjust racing lines in accordance with your track position, kinda like Ferrari Challenge?

I've read here there is no demo coming...is that right?

I hope there's a demo out tomorrow.

I see some videos of the game and I get excited about it. "Finally, a 'good' NFS game." I think. But then I see some other videos that just turn me off. I need a demo so bad.

Thanks for this feedback.

You say that 'the physics felt real' but, in your opinion, how much geared towards a simulation is Shift? For the record I play/played all GT's, all Froza's, Race Pro, Ferrari Challenge and Supercar Challenge.

Also, regarding the A.I. Does the A.I. adjust racing lines in accordance with your track position, kinda like Ferrari Challenge?

I've read here there is no demo coming...is that right?

It is an accessible type of game, somewhere along the lines of Forza.

I've not played Ferrari Challenge, so I can't compare them. However, the AI did seem aware of other cars, rather than following a fixed line and instantly correcting to maintain that line if something forced them out of it.

As for the time, I've no clue.

Thanks for the impression Azuremen, when you drove the full nurburgring track was it full of added billboards and things or is that only on events? I just hope they leave the track pure if you want to do free lapping as it does look quite good and accurate besides the added jumk.

If you, with the assumtions you make come to that conclusion, you are indeed entitled so, so let's leave it there ;)

;)

:P

It is an accessible type of game, somewhere along the lines of Forza.

I've not played Ferrari Challenge, so I can't compare them. However, the AI did seem aware of other cars, rather than following a fixed line and instantly correcting to maintain that line if something forced them out of it.

As for the time, I've no clue.
Thanks fella.

So it's pretty realistic then...which is good in my opinion because that's the type of racing game I like and footage I've seen didn't really make that clear.

Glad to hear you think the A.I. is 'aware' rather than on rails as well.

How easy is it to accurately judge physics by looking at video of game play? A lot seems to depend on how the player is driving, whether a "simultation" or "arcade" mode is selected, & what the AI level is.

We'll find out about Shift for sure in a few days.

On the AI front, it seems to me incredible that it's possible to make the AI reactive to different styles of driving, while GT (at least up to, & including GT5P) still has the AI running around on rails, following the racing line come-hell-or-high-water. I'm with GTP_HUN: hoping that by focussing on the "racing" rather than the "driving", Shift will deliver a good sim-racing experience without a lot of the GT "padding".

Although not on the initial track listing, Donington is the latest addition to the game. And it's the longer version of track.

[YOUTUBEHD]aAgHdW21fXo[/YOUTUBEHD]

Jay
Thanks for the impression Azuremen, when you drove the full nurburgring track was it full of added billboards and things or is that only on events? I just hope they leave the track pure if you want to do free lapping as it does look quite good and accurate besides the added jumk.

The track seemed fairly clean. In my opinion, it did not seem as rough as it should have, a bit smooth maybe. But unlike, I think Forza 2, you can't just blast through some of the esses like they aren't there at all. It was, as it should be, a challenging drive. And as I expected (though I didn't prepare quite enough), the car got some air on the left before Aremberg, which lead to me sliding into the turf. Same with the crest at the end of the final straight. I could "feel" that the car was lifting a bit as I cleared it, enough to make me nervous about steering or braking hard.

Although not on the initial track listing, Donington is the latest addition to the game. And it's the longer version of track.

video

Looks pretty realistic to me. The car understeered when he over shot the corner. There was a fair but of oversteer on exit because he was gassing it too hard. Except for hitting the invisible wall that was a very nice vid.

The track seemed fairly clean. In my opinion, it did not seem as rough as it should have, a bit smooth maybe. But unlike, I think Forza 2, you can't just blast through some of the esses like they aren't there at all. It was, as it should be, a challenging drive. And as I expected (though I didn't prepare quite enough), the car got some air on the left before Aremberg, which lead to me sliding into the turf. Same with the crest at the end of the final straight. I could "feel" that the car was lifting a bit as I cleared it, enough to make me nervous about steering or braking hard.

Sweet. Thats good news. One of the biggest challenges of The Ring is the elevation change, its nice to see that has an effect on the car. Also I would not expect GT4 or GTR Evo level detail. That took PD and Simbin (respectively) many years to recreate. As long as it is better than FM2 I am happy.

The track should feel relatively smooth compared to the older GT4 version since it was recently repaved (a year or two ago). If you're familiar with the GTR Evolution version, it's probably the most accurate of all the Nordschleife version and it's fairly smooth in places where GT4 was quite bumpy- eg. Kallenhard where in GT4 you car would literally bounce up and down and you're descending. I found the one in SHIFT to be very much like the version in Evo and I was lucky enough to preview the game using the G25, a wheel that I use at home for GTR Evo.

Laguna Seca as seen through Google Street View

Last edited:
I enjoyed Kallenhard in GT4 for that reason, too bad they smoothed it out since. :indiff:

It was, as it should be, a challenging drive. And as I expected (though I didn't prepare quite enough), the car got some air on the left before Aremberg, which lead to me sliding into the turf.

That would be "Schwedenkreuz". There is a really big bump immediatly in front of the fast left. You approach at high speed, get the bump right before you change direction and then you have to hope :scared:

Seen lots of accidents there in real life and got off the track here once by myself.

Back