Non-linear throttle

I think they made a stupid choice if they did that on purpose. They want people to buy their official t-gt wheel set and then destroy the realism of it. I bet if you told people before they bought the wheel about that issue most would say that is ridiculous. Hopefully they change their minds about that but I doubt it.

It might be me but I am feeling like the throttle mapping is much better now? Before I couldn't get between 50% and 100% as there was so little pedal travel to cover this range. But now I feel like I can kinda feather the throttle better, I can hit 80% throttle for example which was impossible before.

Using t3pa (non pro)

I don't think it made any difference but I also changed my controller sensitivity to -2
No change on my end. I've been doing all I can to adapt and have found a little extra speed doing so. Yet it's still quite inconsistent to where my lap times can fluctuate by about half a second.
I am surprised more people are not complaining about the non linear throttle. It makes it very awkward playing gt sport when every other driving game with my t3pa pro pedals have the correct linear progression. At least give us an option to calibrate pedals.
I can assure you that I still refuse to drop this issue. Probably not making myself popular in the process but it's not going to get addressed if everyone stays silent.

I still enjoy the game and have adapted but same as OutlawQuadrnt my lap times fluctuate too much based on the throttle input. Does the FIA championship allow for controllers? Why have these official FIA championships with non linear input that makes it more inconsistent and stranger to drive? I will continue to play and adapt but this issue is annoying when all my other games have linear input.

@OutlawQuadrnt you seem to have well knowledge about the non linear issue and also you mentioned your G29.

I bought a T-GT few days ago, used a G29 until now.
I wanted to sell the G29, but I'm thinking about to keep it in order to use the pedals of it with T-GT, because they seem to be higher quality. Now I'm not sure what to do. The T-GT pedals are well too, but the travel ways are a bit long.

Now my question is, in which pedals is the throttle non-linear? G29 only or other pedals, too?
To be honest, I never noticed it.

Edit: I just checked the linearity of the throttle of T-GT pedal.

Boy, is that unlinear! To get 50% throttle you travel to ~80%. The other 50% is compressed into the last 20% throttle way!!!

Why the hell did they do it that way?

I'm still waiting for the adapter to be able to connect G29 pedal with T-GT. I'll compare them afterwards

Last edited:
@OutlawQuadrnt you seem to have well knowledge about the non linear issue and also you mentioned your G29.

I bought a T-GT few days ago, used a G29 until now.
I wanted to sell the G29, but I'm thinking about to keep it in order to use the pedals of it with T-GT, because they seem to be higher quality. Now I'm not sure what to do. The T-GT pedals are well too, but the travel ways are a bit long.

Now my question is, in which pedals is the throttle non-linear? G29 only or other pedals, too?

Boy, is that unlinear! To get 50% throttle you travel to ~80%. The other 50% is compressed into the last 20% throttle way!!!

I'm still waiting for the adapter to be able to connect G29 pedal with T-GT. I'll compare them afterwards
I can only speak for the G29's pedals but the OP's video is spot on. In other words, half the pedal gives you 25% throttle only. For 50% throttle, you need about three quarters travel.

The effect is most noticable in any car that will spin out if you apply power too quickly and any part of a track where you have to breathe the throttle to avoid understeer.

I can only speak for the G29's pedals but the OP's video is spot on. In other words, half the pedal gives you 25% throttle only. For 50% throttle, you need about three quarters travel.

The effect is most noticable in any car that will spin out if you apply power too quickly and any part of a track where you have to breathe the throttle to avoid understeer.

It's especially noticeable on the F1500TA because of the turbo lag, all that 800HP kicks in on that ~Centimeter of throttle travel, it's ridiculous.

It's especially noticeable on the F1500TA because of the turbo lag, all that 800HP kicks in on that ~Centimeter of throttle travel, it's ridiculous.
It's very noticeable with rally cars on dirt since so much of the rotation and control through corners is dependent on throttle. Constantly fighting between understeer with too little throttle and then jumping to oversteer with accidental full throttle. I know I'm repeating myself here, but as @OutlawQuadrnt said above, it couldn't hurt to keep this discussion topic active.

It is also a fault on Sony side. The DS4 is a huge improvement over previous DS3, however Sony always has to catch up MS on the controller design and its features. No matter what, Xbox controllers are always a step ahead.

For example this generation controllers (on MS side) feature vibration on the triggers which is greatly beneficial in driving games (without mentioning a much better handling and control feeling of sticks and triggers, as usual).

Will Sony’s monkeys finally be able to design a controller up to competitor’s standards?

Do they make these for PS4 at all? Like aftermarket?

I always felt if the triggers had a bit of resistance/vibration it would bring a little more life into the hands of a pad user.

Do they make these for PS4 at all? Like aftermarket?

I always felt if the triggers had a bit of resistance/vibration it would bring a little more life into the hands of a pad user.
No, because each game developer would have to develop with that function in mind.

Last edited:
1. Nerfed wheel users throttle control to match controller users.

2. No mirror or blind spot assist on any other view than bumper cam, because they are too much of an “advantage”.

These are unacceptable in my opinion.

How can we change this? Sadly, I feel like this will just be one of those things that is never changed.

Unfortunately I very much doubt this will ever change, it’s probably not seen as a problem given it looks like this is intentional.

I don’t understand how this makes it easier for a controller user, I’ve adapted to it as much as I can with the pedals but personally I feel I could get a bit of extra pace if it was linear.

It is the same with all pedals, the pedals all deliver a linear output to the game, the game then just converts the linear output of the pedal to non linear input for the virtual throttle in the virtual cars.

Personally I think that a pedal with longer travel helps, I am using the T-GT with CPX adapter and Fanatec CSW pedals and that made it quite a bit easier for me than with the original T-GT pedals.

It is the same with all pedals, the pedals all deliver a linear output to the game, the game then just converts the linear output of the pedal to non linear input for the virtual throttle in the virtual cars.

I really wonder why they are doing this.

Maybe it should prevent giving to much throttle at once when attempting to accelerate uncautiously in the outcome of the turn.
If this is the reason, then its just silly, because a linear behaviour is always better to control, no matter what regulation system.

Or they did it unintentionally, just a mistake. Then its even more silly.

I don't have experiences with other racing games, is it in PC2 and Assetto also like this?

It is linearly logical and lovely in AC, Dirt and F1 2017 afaik. You can easily connect with what you have grip-wise so it's not the stupid frustrating guessing game with your right foot that GTS is. It makes a world of difference in how directly connected you feel to the car. If it was a design choice by PD then it is an unfathomable one.

It's very noticeable with rally cars on dirt since so much of the rotation and control through corners is dependent on throttle. Constantly fighting between understeer with too little throttle and then jumping to oversteer with accidental full throttle. I know I'm repeating myself here, but as @OutlawQuadrnt said above, it couldn't hurt to keep this discussion topic active.

I don’t care for Sport mode or any of the online features in this game, so it basically left me to the campaign modes. It was the non linear throttle in the dirt events that basically sealed the GTS coffin for me. The throttle response and handling were so bad I didn’t feel like bothering to make any more progress. Almost unplayable and I didn’t feel like persevering through it.

I saw this issue present in a live stream yesterday. The guy was trying out his wheel setup for the first time in GTS. But when he started playing, he found that the throttle would suddenly increase to max power when he was only applying 50%. He attempted to fix the problem but he ultimately ended the stream prematurely.

It seemed practically impossible to drive. Participated in an online on-make race and kept almost spinning out in the corners because of the weird throttle issue.
Edit:
Is this an issue with the controller as well, or just wheel setups?

Is this an issue with the controller as well, or just wheel setups?

I don't know how it is for people who use triggers but I can't exactly throttle the car 75% or so around turns using the sticks..

For pedals PD needs to definitely calibrate linear throttle. I may hold off on getting a wheel if the issue is as bad as folk are explaining. For pad users, we need more settings.. The fact that there's no "throttle sensitivity" setting at the VERY least is wild.

Even when I played Pcars I had more control over throttle and braking.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought to reach out to PD on this? Did anyone at GT World Tour ask Kaz directly about the linearity?
I wish I had a stronger voice but again, I'm not an alien or someone with connections. I doubt anyone brought up the matter during the World Tour either.

What was interesting during the Tour were several drivers snapping loose off the corners and it made me wonder whether the tire model they were driving made the issue more obvious. We didn't get to see driver inputs so it's just a theory.

Maybe kaz hate us and they are laughing about everyone who play gt-sport.... just for fun. "Look, they still drive, they must be realy....*beeep*"
Maybe it is a experiment - how much of stupid things takes it for a game to break down a fan´s soul.
Otherwise i cant explain to myself why there are still "things" like that.
I also think, nobody from PD looks here. If you really want to be heard you need to visit their forum.

Why don’t we start trying to figure out how it may possible to get PD to change this?

I think if we all work towards that goal rather than just complaining, we may have an opportunity to fix this issue.

- Can we tweet Kaz on Twitter?
- Can we ask some of the top players going to the events?
- Can we bring attention to guys like Jimmy Broadbent who was commentating at the Nür world tour with blessing from PD?
- Can we make a VW Samba Bus Scape in protest (lol)?
- Has anything similar to this issue been resolved in the past?

I’m not sure, what do you guys think?

Tricky one. Maybe a poll would have helped. For linear/against/don't know/don't care type of thing. If a good number were seen to be "for" a linear or normal, as I would think of it, throttle response then maybe someone, somewhere would take notice?. Unlikely I know.

Can't help but think that if PD changed it overnight that very, very few peeps would complain and the vast majority would think the game transformed for the better, fun and realism wise.

If I was only allowed to make one single change to this game, a linear throttle would be it. From gameish to simmish at a stroke.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought to reach out to PD on this? Did anyone at GT World Tour ask Kaz directly about the linearity?

Not that I know of, It wasn't on my personal list of issues to tackle. Not sure if anyone asked when I wasn't present but I'm pretty certain nobody did.

Why don’t we start trying to figure out how it may possible to get PD to change this?

I think if we all work towards that goal rather than just complaining, we may have an opportunity to fix this issue.

- Can we tweet Kaz on Twitter?
- Can we ask some of the top players going to the events?
- Can we bring attention to guys like Jimmy Broadbent who was commentating at the Nür world tour with blessing from PD?
- Can we make a VW Samba Bus Scape in protest (lol)?
- Has anything similar to this issue been resolved in the past?

I’m not sure, what do you guys think?
Whatever brings awareness. Keep in mind to have points ready on why this is an important issue. I already listed mine somewhere on this thread.
Wow I was not aware of this issue until now, but damn this explains a lot.
It's something that is easy to miss unless precise throttle control is one of your strengths. One might notice it if they're trying to do a standing start without traction control, though.

Back