Official Ferrari Challenge Thread

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 1,184 comments
I was always skeptical about this game and the updates (thanks amar :)) have made me even more skeptical, its sounds like its a half cooked game, the graphics have never thrilled me and im really a graphics fan so it doesnt do it for me....

I hope there is mechanical damage in the full game but I dont think I will be getting this one.

Robin

Feew more answers/comments:

One more question: has it tuning options (in any game mode)?.

Yes it does. You can tune springs, anti-roll bar, camber and toe if I remember well for both Challenge and Trophy races. However, some of the settings are basic - AKA soft/hard, etc.

I am wondering what resolution the the TV is that your playing FC on is? ( is it 1080p / 1080i / 720p or 576p ) You said you thought it looked upscaled on your TV and Mark Cale said in one of his recent video interviews that "to see the game in all its beauty, you have to play it on a 1080p screen, as the game runs in Full 1080p".

Well, this sounds intresting. However, I can't confirm abut actual resolution, since I do not have propper instruments to measure it. Notice that I play on 720p set, but my main observation regarding resoultion comes from the fact that image seems somewhat inconsistent in terms of resoultion. I'd love to be wrong though, and I hope devs will answer that soon.

I'm very worried about the AI, I've watched some vids on youtube of someone playing and the AI was pretty bad, on one corner an opponent car was on the outside of the driver and just kept knocking into him, almost as though he was on rails and trying to get into position, just like the old GT games.

I do not have that kind of problem with AI, because AI seems OK in terms of negotiating with your presence on the track. Mine main problem is that they are not fast enough. In 15 minute races I managed to catch them all from the last (#16) postition before 5th lap. And once you pass them, they just can't catch you. But I hope this is matter of being preview build. As for in-race behaviour, they tend to block you and such, but that's the same what real ddriver would do in RL touring races.

In anycase this game was sold to me with the rain effect first shown at their original website months back. :)

Yes, rain looks stunning. It's a real visual treat nonetheless and I really admire their work there in visual department.

@amar212

This all sounds great until so far. Wonder if it is possible to record a small film for youtube from a ferrari @ spa in the rain ?

I already preordered this game. Sounds like a lot of passion has gone into this game 👍

The release of this Game really is becoming a joke!

EB Games Australia has updated its release date for Ferrari Challenge to the 28th of AUGUST !@#$#!

The official website still has June 2008 - but I think the writing is on the wall. I am just going to get GRID and laugh this game off.......

Amar - are you able to get any information off your contacts? Can you ask them if has been delayed AGAIN?

Thanks...

Well, I still do not know about the delay - but i really HOPE IT WILL BE FURTHER DELAYED.

The preview I have is really a great preview of the game, but it certanly needs polishing in order to reach the stage of perfection this game deserves. Eutechnyx did it's job so well done in many aspects of this game, that final tweaks could only make better.

And I really hope that this game will deliver the best it can, since it deserves to be praised by both serious racers, Ferrari fans and fans of orginal F355 game. Somehow, I wanted it to be delayed inorder to get the best product possible. So, if you say it's delayed, that's a good news actually :)

I have also got a semi-confirmation that game will actually run in 1080p, so that's a great news for start. Still nothing abut the delay though..

Great Britain shops and webs anounce it for june 13 or 20. Italian videogame shops for june 26. In Spain is anounced for may 30, but the distributor say don´t will be for this date.

About your preview copy, amar, could be the same showed in Madrid in january 31?. The status of finish of your copy looks like this?:

http://www.gameprotv.com/index.php?s=stream&id=4409

... or like this:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/gaming_live/0000/00001540/ferrari_challenge_f1q0.htm

(in this say "code at 80%").

I want to ask to you again (amar) if the clutch works with the unlocked cars.

Also I want to ask to you if you can record a video playing a cup with the F355 Berlinetta or Challenge in cockpit view, or at least to take any photographs.

Thanks.

Hi Amar........Thanks for all your information, its great. Hopefully they are trying to improve the game and its graphics some more before they release it and thats the reason for these creeping delays. I guess its better to have a delayed game that is really great when it comes out, instead of getting an average or poor game out early!

Any chance of more pictures of the game interface - especially the car painting and decal system? Also, any gameplay or interface videos you you could get for us would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again....

There are lots of info, read the full thread and you will see that we have all we need to know about the game.
I have readed all the important content, thanks. Really reading the amar212´s previews yo get the more important info (apart the oficial web site). But here are not all I need to know about the game.

One more game hint/info:
-We can adjust the cockpit view like in GTR.
This kind of things I refer as importants. Thanks.

Activision to North America distribution:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...be-distributed-in-north-america-by-activision
"System 3 and Activision will showcase Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli on PLAYSTATION®3 to the public for the first time at the Montreal Grand Prix from June 6th - 8th, 2008. There will be playable kiosks open to the all attendees in the Fan Zone."

At least 20 DLC packs are ready.

Formula One cars to be within some of those DLC packs.

This report talks about end of the summer for the North America distribution. Will be delayed for Europe again?.

With lucky, we could get some videos recorded of that kiosks in Canada GP.

I was very disapointed with Grid. After trying the demo, i defenetly knew i was not going to buy it.

Maybe this is a better buy, at least it looks promising so far.

Today I've seen a video of this game.
Few questions...
Is it a sim? GTR2 style?
When is it coming out in US? The date is April 18, 2008, but is that for US release as well?
Is it full 1080p?
How many cars fit on one track, AI drivers?
I know so far it has 14+ tracks
How many cars? Is it all the Ferrari cars?
G25 compatible?
I think it will be a great game untill GT5 comes out next year.
:D

PS I think its good that game is made only for PS3 (wii as well but its separate build) That wat PS3 will have its power and not using same coding as Xbox and making a sloppy port .... just my thought :D

What video?. We want to see it!.

- It´s near to sim more than arcade. And yes: looks some GTR2 style.
- End of the summer in USA, early (20 june) in Europe (you could import it).
- Last info say it has 1080p output, but you must to know that no one PS3 game is rendered in a real 1920 x 1080 resolution (only any low performance PS Store games): link
- 16 IA cars, and 16 LAN or online players.
- About 32 cars (Ferrari cars only).
- Full G25 selectable and compatible (with clutch, without cheats).

I recomend to you to read some previous post (the amar212´s previews).

PS I think its good that game is made only for PS3 (wii as well but its separate build) That wat PS3 will have its power and not using same coding as Xbox and making a sloppy port .... just my thought :D
+1, but I think Wii and PS2 are also more (Wii users don´t demand this kind of games, and PS2 is a near dead console).

EnZo-UK: there is not anouncement of a demo.

Few questions...
Is it a sim? GTR2 style?
When is it coming out in US? The date is April 18, 2008, but is that for US release as well?
Is it full 1080p?
I know so far it has 14+ tracks
G25 compatible?
I think it will be a great game untill GT5 comes out next year.
:D

Is it a sim? GTR2 style?
The preview i had the chance to test back on Jan2008 it was more like GTR2 once the assists were off. But now there are people saying that it's more to the Arcade side.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3046212&postcount=435

Is it full 1080p?
Yes i guess, they say so, but i played it at 720p back in Jan2008.

16 cars, the build i tested had a very agressive AI the good part was if that stay behind them laps later they would make a mistake. Leting you pass or not.

Out of the box there will be 27 (confirmed by me) but numbers about this go from 32 to 41.
System3 goal is to give us the all Ferrari collection via DLC.
First DLC will be the Monaco track and 5 cars. Formula One cars will be at some point within a DLC. And i hope that System3 will bring us the Ferrari IndyCar from the 80'.

G25 compatible?
Yes i guess, people say so, didn't saw it.

Yes it will be better then GT5P at the online features. About the offline mode there are lots of feature that GT5P can't offer now. Like custom soundtracks, custom car paint, etc...

EDIT: I will put it this way: Ferrari Challenge is a Forza2 like product for ps3 but only with Ferrari and some nice features in the middle.

- End of the summer in USA, early (20 june) in Europe (you could import it).
The European launch date has been set for 4th July.

- Last info say it has 1080p output, but you must to know that no one PS3 game is rendered in a real 1920 x 1080 resolution (only any low performance PS Store games)
You do know that your own link disagrees with you on that...

Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
NBA07 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA08 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Ridge Racer 7 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Virtua Tennis 3 (demo) = 1920x1080 (2x AA)

...seems to be a few more than 'none' to me, if you then add in those that get to 1080p with a differing ratio it increase once again.

Regards

Scaff

PS2 is a near dead console
Besides being completely wrong about the lack of games on blu-ray with native *1080p resolution.

*Although you may have simply confused these with the upscaled 1080p games for the 360.

You are also very much mistaken about the health of the PS2:

They're not making PS2 games anymore
:odd:

Playstation 2 Current and Upcoming Games

the PS2 is still being made and selling very well and there have been games released recently, and several are scheduled for release for the PS2 that are not currently available on the PS3. In addition, some multi-platform games are actually selling better for the PS2 than next-gen consoles... so I wouldn't be striking the death bell quite so soon on the PS2.

That said, PS2's are also really inexpensive, so I still would not personally put a high priority on backward compatibility... although as long as you don't get the 40GB version, it's a mute point.

EDIT: I know the PS2 was handily outselling the 360 since the 360 came out, but with the exception of the last two months, it looks like the PS2 has been beating both the PS3 and 360 for several of the last 52-week sales periods:

ConsoleSalesPast12months.jpg

If you combine both PS2 and PS3 hardware and software sales, Sony certainly still has a commanding market share in the console sector.

I wanted to be sure I wasn't mistaken about this so I did a quick search for video game sales of recent popular multi-platform titles:

Madden NFL 08
  • 2.39m (360)
  • 2.14m (PS2)
  • 0.84m (PS3)
  • 0.67m (Wii)
FIFA 08
  • 2.59m (PS2)
  • 1.34m (PS3)
  • 1.16m (360)
  • 0.57m (Wii)
NBA Live 08
  • 0.51m (PS2)
  • 0.46m (360)
  • 0.37m (PS3)
  • 0.09m (Wii)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
  • 3.09m (PS2)
  • 1.48m (PS3)
  • 0.99m (360)
  • 0.45m (Wii)
Tony Hawk Proving Ground
  • 0.42m (PS2)
  • 0.33m (360)
  • 0.23m (PS3)
  • 0.13m (Wii)
The Simpsons Game
  • 0.97m (PS2)
  • 0.75m (360)
  • 0.67m (Wii)
  • 0.40m (PS3)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  • 3.89m (PS2)
  • 2.90m (360)
  • 2.54m (Wii)
  • 1.23m (PS3)
Need for Speed: ProStreet
  • 1.92m (PS2)
  • 1.31m (360)
  • 1.19m (PS3)
  • 0.48m (Wii)

Just these games alone total close to 40 million copies sold, 40% of those were for the PS2 version, by far the most of any of the consoles... which isn't hard to understand when you consider how many PS2's are out there.

Combined the PS2 & PS3 sales account for nearly 60% of these sales. The sales of the 360 versions accounted for about 25%, and the Wii only about 15%.

Based on these and other figures, I don't see Sony and game developers ending their support for the PS2 any time soon... at least not for another couple years.

PS2 on it's death bed? I think not...

Much to the disappointment of Microsoft who was quick to kill off the original Xbox, over the last two and a half years since the 360 launched, the PS2 has outsold the 360 world wide for both hardware and software sales.... it also doesn't hurt Sony having already sold over 120 million PS2s. :eek:

The European launch date has been set for 4th July.
Only Game Uk anounce this day for the release. All the other important shops say 20th June, and the oficial web site still say "out in June".
Appart of this, after the last delay from May to June they replaced the trailer in the press web site for one with the new date, but not now.

In any case, some delay in this game is not a surprise for me. This is the never launching game.

You do know that your own link disagrees with you on that...

Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
NBA07 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA08 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Ridge Racer 7 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Virtua Tennis 3 (demo) = 1920x1080 (2x AA)

...seems to be a few more than 'none' to me, if you then add in those that get to 1080p with a differing ratio it increase once again.
Really: I should to say "some (not all) low performance PS Store games and any low quality games more" :)

Digital-Nitrate: sorry. I spoke without knowledge. I never look for statistics.
I said that, because in my country is very dificult to get a PS2 game (new release or vintage) in a shop. But I suposse that in other countries is still alive.

Only Game Uk anounce this day for the release. All the other important shops say 20th June, and the oficial web site still say "out in June".
Appart of this, after the last delay from May to June they replaced the trailer in the press web site for one with the new date, but not now.

In any case, some delay in this game is not a surprise for me. This is the never launching game.

No System 3 say its out on 4th July 2008, in an article in C&VG they state a July release date....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=190433

..and if you take a look at the banner adverts for the game on C&VGs main page it quite clearly says 4th July..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

...so if its not coming out then some one in the marketing department needs to be fired in a rather big way. I don't use or trust release dates from retailers, never have and never will, but I would hope that System 3 know when there own game is coming out.

54528156tt6.jpg

Really: I should to say "some (not all) low performance PS Store games and any low quality games more" :)

I'm sorry I don't believe quality was a factor in this, and I certainly would not describe RR7 as a low quality game at all. Please remember you said 'not one' game (non PSN store) was in 1920x1080, which is quite clearly incorrect.

Keep in mind that increases significantly once you get to 1080P releases in other 'ratios'; and I'm simply pointing out that its a bit daft to claim one thing in a post and have you source of proof clearly disagree with you.

Regards

Scaff

Thx guys for the ifno, I hope its sim, GTR2 style the least :)
I went to their site, and the people that said its on the ARCADE side might have play the game with AIDS on.
If it is arcade, grid or TOCA style, im not buying it. If its sim, GTR style I'll buy it with no question..

PS. Custom soundtrack? Who listens to song when you have beautiful V8's and V12 high rev Ferrari engines? ! Its a racing game not guitar hero :P haha
But, I guess its good for replays, play some classical, drum n bass, trance :)
By the way, slow motion feature in replays?

Back