Official Playstation Store Thread

You mean to say you liked it more than the new NASCAR 09 demo??? ;)

Why? Do you mean the Nascar demo is bad? I've just seen it on Foolkillers post and I was wondering is it worth downloading or is it even worth the hastle of setting up an American account?

Why? Do you mean the Nascar demo is bad? I've just seen it on Foolkillers post and I was wondering is it worth downloading or is it even worth the hastle of setting up an American account?

It's an EA game, I can't imagine it's terribly thrilling.

Imagine GT5P in a bunch of family sedans with racing stickers on Daytona Oval, with crash damage. :sly:

Seriously though, I imagine it is more if you enjoyed past NASCAR games. I coudl never get into them because the littel experience I had I found them to be a bit too arcadey.

I think I am just so used to Gran Turismo that a racing game has to at least pretend to be a sim for me to enjoy it now.

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a pass. Like Joey said its an EA game which means its full of glitches and way too arcady and I'd get bored going around the oval very quickly.

For those still unsure about whether to get Qore or not PS3Fanboy did a full screen by screen walkthrough of it.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/photos/qore/845828/
Grrrr... I wish I handn't looked. :)

Instead of being completely uninterested in Qore... now I'm seriously reconsidering. I'm especialy curious what new content they have for Star wars: Force Unleashed, as that game is currently at the top of my wish list, and I've already downloaded every HD video clip of the game that I can find, and even some of the SD stuff as well.

One question I have though is, for the viewable content, like trailers and concept art and such, I wonder if it is possible to also download copies of those, or are they only viewable via live streaming off Qore?

For just $3 I may have to try it out after all.

Have you noticed the advertising...

qoredownloads1024.jpg

They are going the way of xbox... charging and having adverts... what a joke!

I wouldnt mind it in Home to keep it free but like all magazines you pay like £3 but half of it is adverts!

How much is it per year?

Robin

You mean like cable TV, magazines, sports arenas, etc, etc, etc?

The reason we get advertisements in many of the products and services we pay for is because it helps keep the costs down.

Imagine how much magazines would cost without any advertisements. Imagine how much cable would cost without any ads. Far worse would be broadcast TV as it relies almost entirely on advertisers to foot the billions of dollars in production costs each year, imagine what would happen if the TV viewers had to foot those bills each year.

*If more and more people like me use DVRs to fast forward through commercials, we may find this out.

Those are some of the reasons we see advertisements.

At the end of the day though, you get to decide if you want to buy a magazine, or pay for cable service, go to a sporting event, or even turn on the telly. So if you are that bothered by ads, you can do something else... like go for a walk in the park. 👍

You mean like cable TV, magazines, sports arenas, etc, etc, etc?

The reason we get advertisements in many of the products and services we pay for is because it helps keep the costs down.

Imagine how much magazines would cost without any advertisements. Imagine how much cable would cost without any ads. Far worse would be broadcast TV as it relies almost entirely on advertisers to foot the billions of dollars in production costs each year, imagine what would happen if the TV viewers had to foot those bills each year.

*If more and more people like me use DVRs to fast forward through commercials, we may find this out.

Those are some of the reasons we see advertisements.

At the end of the day though, you get to decide if you want to buy a magazine, or pay for cable service, go to a sporting event, or even turn on the telly. So if you are that bothered by ads, you can do something else... like go for a walk in the park. 👍

Right. But the interwebs is run on a somewhat different set of principles. It seems like every time we're asked to pay for a subscription to some service on a website, the first advantage to a subscription is listed as "no more pop-ups or ads!"

Other than forums, what internet service are you referring to that has a paid subscription and has no advertising?

Heck, even Consumer Reports, for which I have been a paid subscriber for over twenty years has advertising of its own products and services.

Frankly, I am still shocked Sony not only doesn't charge for their PSN service, but even their PSN store doesn't have any advertising other then games. I also won't be shocked if Sony charges a subscription to Home, especially when you consider the ridiculous amount of time and money they have put into developing it over the last three years.

I suggest you count your blessings, although honestly, even the ads on XBL and now on Qore are hardly worth getting upset over. You can ignore them VERY easily. Far better than pop-up ads on the internet, or live streaming video ads that start playing right when you visit a site.

That said, you asked why there is advertising for paid services, and now I suspect you know why, and that it happens all over the place in many different media outlets and industries.

Well, after playing the NASCAR 09 demo, I must say it's pretty good, not as stupidly messed up as last years game (to easy to spin, tapping someone = crash, drafting broken), this is actually quite fun and they've reached the level of what the PS2 games were (which were better than the PS3 version of 08 any day).

The Civilization: Revolution demo was quite fun, shame it only allows you to get to 1250 AD.

From,
Chris.

Other than forums, what internet service are you referring to that has a paid subscription and has no advertising?

I suggest you count your blessings, although honestly, even the ads on XBL and now on Qore are hardly worth getting upset over. You can ignore them VERY easily. Far better than pop-up ads on the internet, or live streaming video ads that start playing right when you visit a site.

Upload databases (Rapidshare and such), p2p networks, and various websites (like Gamespot, minigame websites and so on) all offer packages for a fee. And promise to remove most or all advertisements.

The ads may be small, but they still take up space and bandwidth that could be used for something more interesting. Don't forget that they do run frequently by taking up the whole screen, and you have to wait at least 5 seconds before continuing. That really adds up. If something is free, i can understand there being ads (that's why i love PSN so much). But when i pay for something on the internet, i expect to get a full experience, without waiting 5 seconds for ads to pass by when i know they don't influence my own personal spending habits anyway.

They also create the stigma that people are consumer whores, but that's a different argument altogether; let's stay away from that for now.

Upload databases (Rapidshare and such), p2p networks, and various websites (like Gamespot, minigame websites and so on) all offer packages for a fee. And promise to remove most or all advertisements.

The ads may be small, but they still take up space and bandwidth that could be used for something more interesting. Don't forget that they do run frequently by taking up the whole screen, and you have to wait at least 5 seconds before continuing. That really adds up. If something is free, i can understand there being ads (that's why i love PSN so much). But when i pay for something on the internet, i expect to get a full experience, without waiting 5 seconds for ads to pass by when i know they don't influence my own personal spending habits anyway.

They also create the stigma that people are consumer whores, but that's a different argument altogether; let's stay away from that for now.

What world are you living in?

Cable TV: Commercials (Advertisements)
Radio: Advertisements
Movie Theaters: Previews (Advertisements)
Magazines: Advertisements
iTunes: Advertisements
Steam: Advertisements
XBL: Advertisements

Fact is, the ad's aren't what pays for the service, it's what gives the service provider more money. You want completely ad free, be prepared to make up all the revue they would be sacrificing to make you happy.

What world are you living in?

Cable TV: Commercials (Advertisements)
Radio: Advertisements
Movie Theaters: Previews (Advertisements)
Magazines: Advertisements
iTunes: Advertisements
Steam: Advertisements
XBL: Advertisements

Fact is, the ad's aren't what pays for the service, it's what gives the service provider more money. You want completely ad free, be prepared to make up all the revue they would be sacrificing to make you happy.

That doesn't matter. Sony always offered their online services for free. To go back now and rip all the good (once free) content out of the Playstation Store and charge us for it now as a "super cool interactive magazine dudes" disappoints me.

That doesn't matter. Sony always offered their online services for free. To go back now and rip all the good (once free) content out of the Playstation Store and charge us for it now as a "super cool interactive magazine dudes" disappoints me.

Agreed, and it's a huge win for Sony over Microsoft if they keep it free.

LOL. You've missed the point man.

They haven't ripped ANYTHING from the Playstation Store. Seriously, get a grip on reality. From the PS Blog, straight from the horses mouth, ANYTHING that hits Qore wouldn't have hit the PS Store anyway, it's designed and created for Qore.

Any Demo's that hit Qore will have been FUNDED or PAID FOR by Qore, and would not have shown up on the PS Store, or they would have shown up at a later date.

I advise you to do some research in reference to the subject before you start crying about it.

Did you see the recent PSN updated content? What exactly did they "rip out"? How many updates had more than two demos? How many updates have had as much content as this last week? Seriously. Try and at least keep things in perspective to some resemblance of reality if you are going to go off on a rant, otherwise it's very hard to take your opinion seriously.

The Civilization: Revolution demo was quite fun, shame it only allows you to get to 1250 AD.

From,
Chris.

that demo was really good. I keep playing that game and its really fun to play it. I think that this game will be in my PS3 library:tup:

LOL. You've missed the point man.

They haven't ripped ANYTHING from the Playstation Store. Seriously, get a grip on reality. From the PS Blog, straight from the horses mouth, ANYTHING that hits Qore wouldn't have hit the PS Store anyway, it's designed and created for Qore.

I advise you to do some research in reference to the subject before you start crying about it.

LOL. OMG.

Why on earth wouldn't Sony say that things are going to be the same? Free online play is a big selling point for PS3 vs Xbox 360. Part of the reason i got one. I advise you to read up on economics before you start crying about how i disagree with you.

Did you see the recent PSN updated content? What exactly did they "rip out"? How many updates had more than two demos? How many updates have had as much content as this last week? Seriously. Try and at least keep things in perspective to some resemblance of reality if you are going to go off on a rant, otherwise it's very hard to take your opinion seriously.

This is only Qore's first week. I'm worried about the future, when Sony has to choose between giving content to those who pay for Qore or those who don't use it. It's common sense to know that that will eventually happen.

LOL. OMG.

Why on earth wouldn't Sony say that things are going to be the same? Free online play is a big selling point for PS3 vs Xbox 360. Part of the reason i got one. I advise you to read up on economics before you start crying about how i disagree with you.

This is only Qore's first week. I'm worried about the future, when Sony has to choose between giving content to those who pay for Qore or those who don't use it. It's common sense to know that that will eventually happen.

I'm telling you right now, each and every week that Qore pops up on the PSN, and the content is great, I will come into this very thread, quote this very post, and "LOL".

You're being foolish.

Actually it is a lack of common sense to suggest you know for a fact what will eventually happen... or even worse, to suggest something has already happened, when it hasn't... which is exactly what you have done right here...

Where in this statement are you offering a speculation on the future? You said "now" quite clearly, and even went so far as to say "all the good stuff (once free)". Which was certainly poorly timed on your part considering this week the update was bigger than usual and had two demos... how many exclusive demos did Qore subscribers get? 0.

Anyone reading your comment without having actually visited the PSN store would have been left believing the recent store update was stripped of all the good stuff, which was clearly not the case... and again just goes to show how hard it is to take your opinion seriously… and instead your comments are misleading and or based on misinformation.

I cant find the Civilization: Revolution demo were is it
It, along with the demo for NASCAR 09 is on the North American PSN Store for now. You can download it now be simply creating an additional account on your PS3 using any address in the US when filling out the PSN account info.

Agreed.

I also agree on the time limit. I had just wiped out the Egyptians with their Cultural Dominance (Ninja Horseman army FTW!!!)and was about to take out the Zulu for their smart attitude, calling me backwards just because they discovered writing first. I HAD LITERACY!!!! And I notice someone wanted to trade it for Democracy, which I did so that he would be in anarchy for a turn and then unable to do anything about my forces building up on his borders (in a Democracy your people will not allow acts of aggression).

Oddly, I don't typically like turn-based strategy games, but this was awesome, and they made it work on the PS3. If we get something real-time though we will have to have mouse and keyboard support.

that demo was really good. I keep playing that game and its really fun to play it. I think that this game will be in my PS3 library:tup:
Definitely for me.

And Qore, even in its most greedy possible form couldn't remove free online play unless only Qore members got that. And yes, that would be PSN suicide. But outside of a Beta invite, that also has other points of entry, I don't see anything hinting at a loss of free online play.

As a monthly magazine I don't think they can pull this off well Paying Qore members will either be extremely far behind even free XBL accounts or it will be the same as Official US Playstation Magazine, which is what Qore replaces, had. An occasional exclusive or early demo. The magazine itself had a disc full of demos, but most were stuff you could find in other places too, and are now free on PSN. So, Qore will likely have one demo per issue.

Do I suspect we will lose a lot of early Sony in-house demos? Yes, but the ones I cared about rarely came out early. Heck, they are already a bit short on proper demos for their PSN titles. Most demos we get are multiplatform, and the only way we can end up losing all of those is if Sony and Microsoft went in together to do some price fixing to arrange demos from third parties to be on their paid services only, or at least for a time period. 1) That is illegal. 2) third parties would be reluctant to do it. 3) Sony and Microsoft working together would end the world so you wouldn't notice anyway.

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I doubt we will lose a lot. I mean, if we lose wallpapers and themes who cares. The best theme for the PS3 is available here at GTP, and there are tons of quality free wallpapers and themes floating around elsewhere.

I could be wrong, but I don't know how Sony can pull off making Qore like XBL Gold when it is monthly.

Plus, after they get their music and movie DL service going the free side of the PSN will likely have no problem paying for itself, especially if they get those PSN gift cards more readily available.

I understand your worry, because that was my gut reaction too, but the more I think about it the less evidence I see pointing in that direction, and the less feasible it seems.

Anyone try Commando 3 or NOVASTRIKE yet? I'm waiting to hear some thoughts on them before I purchase. I may wait for NOVASTRIKE to get their demo out.

EU Playstation Store Update

Game demo's

* Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars (1329 MB)
* Monster Madness: Grave Danger (715 MB)

Game content

* Guitar Hero III
o Isle of Wight Festival Pack (€5,99)
+ "Problems (live at Brixton)" - The Sex Pistols
+ "Shoot the Runner" - Kasabian
+ "I Predict a Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs

Game video's

* Haze
o Trailer Korn #1
o Trailer Korn #2

* Metal Gear Solid 4
o Theatrical Trailer

Theme's

* PixelJunk Monsters - Rainbow theme
Game demo's

* Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars (1329 MB)
* Monster Madness: Grave Danger (715 MB)

Game content

* Guitar Hero III
o Isle of Wight Festival Pack (€5,99)
+ "Problems (live at Brixton)" - The Sex Pistols
+ "Shoot the Runner" - Kasabian
+ "I Predict a Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs

Thanks for the update. 👍

EU Playstation Store Update

Game demo's
  • * Monster Madness: Grave Danger (715 MB)
Where did you find this demo on the store?

I've looked and can't seem to find it any where.

Latest Posts

Back