Playstation 3 System Update Thread

You need to. I have a HongKongPako account now for for the GTHD stuff. Preping my download finger for the GTHD demo.

:)

I'm all set to go, now. I got a Tokyo, Japan account to muddle with. I got all three GTHD/GT5 videos. Nothing new, but it's all in 1080p. Looks fantastic! :drool:

Can't wait; GTHD Concept/GT5 demo is two days away!

Actually fellas, it's more like ONE day away. Remember that Japan is on the OTHER side of the international date line. So we should see it sometime tomorrow night.

writing it now

I can't get logged onto the store network to download it.... :grumpy:

Can you save the install file and upload it somewhere? If you needed storage, I'd be happy to host it on my web server for a limited time...., as I'm sure Jordan would be as well... :)

I hope that they bring a 1080P24 Update until march... that would make the PS3 an even better movie player...

Seeing this thread will go into hiding after an update has been released, I think that we could discuss the FUTURE updates we can look forward to.

On that note, I was informed by Duck that there is going to be one in march ( if theres some place where you guys find them, post it please) and that you would be able to change your wallpaper.

So I think its going to go like this:

Release date: XXXXXX

Contents:

asdfghjkl-whatever

I guess.....

Despite all of this, I'd like to know when Sony releases a PS3 software update for 1440p.

As far as I know, this is scheduled in early 2008

Despite all of this, I'd like to know when Sony releases a PS3 software update for 1440p.

As far as I know, this is scheduled in early 2008

Umm... whaa?

I doubt the PS3 will be able to do 1440p since it doesn't have a scaler nor are there going to be 1440p games ever.

1440p? What is that?

I mean.. I kinda know what it is. It's the full-screen version of full high-definition... 1920x1440. But to my knowledge, that's not a "real" resolution in terms of films or games. Full-frame HD is defined the other way.. 1440x1080, but the vertical resolution remains 1080p. Is that what you're referring to?

Either way, you're talking about a full-frame video format. Those days are over, my friend. Widescreen is the future, like it or not.

I think the reference is to HDMI 1.3's support of resolutions up to 2560x1440, but I do not believe the processor in the PS3 is capable of rendering or scaling that resolution... nor would it be beneficial to unless you had a display that had that as its native resolution.

Firmware 1.51 is out.

It pretty much just updates the functionality of PS3 and PS2/1 titles to reduce freezes and compatibility issues, no other changes are known at this time.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone, including Sony, created a chronological list of every update to date, and details of what each update added/fixed?

2) For those that get an older PS3, or that have never updated their current PS3 firmware, do they have to download each update, or only the most recent. I ask, as I know with some firmware updates will sometimes leave out previously updated features from past updates.

Thanks.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone, including Sony, created a chronological list of every update to date, and details of what each update added/fixed?

2) For those that get an older PS3, or that have never updated their current PS3 firmware, do they have to download each update, or only the most recent. I ask, as I know with some firmware updates will sometimes leave out previously updated features from past updates.

Thanks.

1) No.

2) One update only to latest firmware update. It includes all updated features, as it completely re-writes the old firmware with the new.

The problem with Sony's press releases concerning the updates is they only mention the things that they're adding or otherwise updating to add more or better features. Bug fixes are there, but they won't mention them publically. So it's next to impossible to get an idea of what the update really does.

The problem with Sony's press releases concerning the updates is they only mention the things that they're adding or otherwise updating to add more or better features. Bug fixes are there, but they won't mention them publically. So it's next to impossible to get an idea of what the update really does.

But is it really necessary? The bugs are so few and far between, and I honestly don't think the updates do much more than security patches and piracy counter measures.

Once you own a PS3, you'll probably see where I'm coming from, but the "bugs" are extremely limited, and if you "find" one, it's probably a freak occurance anyway. If you want to count "scaling" as a "bug" then that's your perogative, but aside from that, I don't see much that can be defined as a "bug".

I'm not referring specifically to bugs in the "things breaking when they shouldn't" thing, just things that are flawed that need to be fixed. Things like Blu-ray movies freezing during playback, then starting back up after twenty seconds or so. There's a workaround where you can disable the PS3's network functions to eliminate the problem, which clearly implies a software problem of some kind.. the system is doing something it shouldn't be doing that's affecting the way it performs.

My point is that, when this is fixed, Sony isn't going to announce it as part of the press release. People will just have to figure out on their own if it's fixed or not.

I'm not referring specifically to bugs in the "things breaking when they shouldn't" thing, just things that are flawed that need to be fixed. Things like Blu-ray movies freezing during playback, then starting back up after twenty seconds or so. There's a workaround where you can disable the PS3's network functions to eliminate the problem, which clearly implies a software problem of some kind.. the system is doing something it shouldn't be doing that's affecting the way it performs.

My point is that, when this is fixed, Sony isn't going to announce it as part of the press release. People will just have to figure out on their own if it's fixed or not.

Another great example of this is the backward compatibility. It put tons of jaggies in games, yet when it was fixed in 1.5, Sony didn't say a peep about it.

I agree. Anytime I download software and firmware updates for programs and products, they almost always come with detailed descriptions or at least lists of all added features and fixed bugs for not only that update, but previous updates as well.

While it is disappointing that Sony has apparently not provided this information, I am very surprised with all the Sony watchdogs out there, that no one apparently has made their own detailed lists on all the firmware updates, the dates that they were made available, what confirmed new features were added, and what confirmed bugs were fixed.

I have a hard time believing no one has, so if anyone comes across such a resource, it would be very helpful if they shared it with us here. Thanks!

I'm not referring specifically to bugs in the "things breaking when they shouldn't" thing, just things that are flawed that need to be fixed. Things like Blu-ray movies freezing during playback, then starting back up after twenty seconds or so.
My primary use of my 60GB PS3 is as a Blu-ray player... in fact, I have not even opened the free game (Genji) that came with mine, which was one of the first 500K PS3 shipped to the US. So far I have logged at least 70 hours now on watching Blu-ray movies and have not once had this happen to me. Other than a few isolated reports, this problem does not appear to be affecting the majority of units, or at least it may require a specific serious of conditions to make the problem occur. Regardless, thanks for sharing the workaround. Should this ever happen to me I'll definitely try it out.

My primary use of my 60GB PS3 is as a Blu-ray player... in fact, I have not even opened the free game (Genji) that came with mine, which was one of the first 500K PS3 shipped to the US. So far I have logged at least 70 hours now on watching Blu-ray movies and have not once had this happen to me. Other than a few isolated reports, this problem does not appear to be affecting the majority of units, or at least it may require a specific serious of conditions to make the problem occur. Regardless, thanks for sharing the workaround. Should this ever happen to me I'll definitely try it out.

Yeah, it seems to be on-and-off. Some people say it only started after the 1.5 update (not fixed in 1.51 apparently), others say it's been there since they first bought the console, some say it worked fine until the very first update and has been broken ever since, while others have had zero problems at all.

There's a couple threads about it on AVS, and it's a topic that comes up regularly in their "PS3 as a Blu-ray player" thread, so it seems pretty clear that the problem does exist. But it's so irregular and unpredictable (and obviously not across-the-board), so it's very difficult to isolate what's causing it. I read about the "fix" over there, and it apparently works very well.

Better to have it (the fix) and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :)

Back