PlayStation 5 Pro: Coming November 2024, $700/€800

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 349 comments
Some more details on numerous PS5 Pro updates:

“While Gran Turismo 7 was already able to render in native 4K, PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution on PS5 Pro is also effective on 4K sources, allowing for even more detail and higher image quality than ever before. Additionally, we are now able to support ray tracing during races, which was previously impossible. This allows not only for car surfaces to show full reflections of other cars, but also for a car to reflect its own parts, greatly enhancing realism and immersion throughout the whole game.
Furthermore, Gran Turismo 7 will feature experimental support for 8K/60fps output* . Players will be able to see the precisely modeled cars and tracks in unprecedented detail and clarity, with a breathtaking sense of presence. Thanks to these cutting edge developments, Gran Turismo 7 will be able to provide more exciting and visually stunning race experiences than was previously possible.”
Shuichi Takano, Main Programmer / Polyphony

New Digital Foundry video.

PSSR looking pretty impressive and it's only going to improve. Interesting to see the other improvements some devs are doing like Guerrilla. Hopefully we'll see PD improve aspects like particles and LOD.

Edit: I wasn't going to bother with the IGN video, but it has the DF guy Oliver in it. So will be worth a watch as well.

Last edited:
What would be a cool worthwhile feature for me is, if all the ps4 games that didn't get a backcompatible update even for ps4 pro, or ps5 version, and run or look not too clean,

Would suddenly run 60fps in high res looking image.
Games like rdr2, bloodborne, arkham knight, prey, deux ex, etc.
I still dont think I'd get one, unless i get a really good credit with my regular ps5.

What would be a cool worthwhile feature for me is, if all the ps4 games that didn't get a backcompatible update even for ps4 pro, or ps5 version, and run or look not too clean,

Would suddenly run 60fps in high res looking image.
Games like rdr2, bloodborne, arkham knight, prey, deux ex, etc.
I still dont think I'd get one, unless i get a really good credit with my regular ps5.
There's a new PS5 Pro Boost mode that hasn't been demo'd yet. If games where capped at 30fps it's unlikely they'll run at 60fps, but this is an unknown right now. The belief is this new PS5 Pro Boost mode may increase resolutions and stabilise framerates as they can use the full power of the system. PS4 Pro had a similar mode which used the extra CPU performance to stabilise framerates. There where no resolution boosts as it couldn't access the full GPU power due to backwards compatibility issues.

Edit, found a description:

Game Boost for Older Titles

One of the most anticipated features of the PS5 Pro is its Game Boost mode, which retroactively enhances older games. This mode applies to over 8,500 backward-compatible PS4 games, improving their resolution and image quality through Sony's advanced upscaling technology, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution. PS VR2 games will also benefit from the increased processing power, allowing for a more immersive experience in virtual reality.

BTW, Kinda Funny also posted a video:

Last edited:
There's a new PS5 Pro Boost mode that hasn't been demo'd yet. If games where capped at 30fps it's unlikely they'll run at 60fps, but this is an unknown right now. The belief is this new PS5 Pro Boost mode may increase resolutions and stabilise framerates as they can use the full power of the system. PS4 Pro had a similar mode which used the extra CPU performance to stabilise framerates. There where no resolution boosts as it couldn't access the full GPU power due to backwards compatibility issues.

Edit, found a description:

Game Boost for Older Titles

One of the most anticipated features of the PS5 Pro is its Game Boost mode, which retroactively enhances older games. This mode applies to over 8,500 backward-compatible PS4 games, improving their resolution and image quality through Sony's advanced upscaling technology, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution. PS VR2 games will also benefit from the increased processing power, allowing for a more immersive experience in virtual reality.

BTW, Kinda Funny also posted a video:

Yeah, it's hopeful, but i kinda doubt fps will boost much, although frame generation is in regular ps5 already, it hasn't boosted fps on those older titles, but like you said, maybe cause of being locked, but seems frame generation would maybe circumvente that, i dont know really.

Anyhow, it's still way too much for me,,I'd still have to fork out as much as i paid my ps5 again, even with a great credit on it.
I prefer pay a few 10 bucks upgrades, or wait for updates i guess.
Unless i win the lottery.😋
Edit: or if I'm back single again.🤣🙄

Last edited:
PS VR2 games will also benefit from the increased processing power, allowing for a more immersive experience in virtual reality.
That's the most interesting tidbit for me. Still I will not be clamoring to get the pro when it reservations go live tonight and will wait for the brave souls to try it out first for real-world reviews.

Does anyone know how much the 30th Anniversary Pro Edition is yet? US orders go on sale in 35 minutes...
I recall predicting it'd be close to $1000, and I think the UK one (which sold out immediately and was then just as immediately on eBay for three times the price) was £960. So about that.

$999.99 for the Pro Bundle
$499.99 for Slim
$219.99 for Portal and DS Edge
$79.99 for DS
Well it'll be moot anyway. I joined the wait on a random chance that a Pro 30th edition was available and the wait time is "over an hour" so that'll not happen. I'm not that fussed on the regular pro so won't bother with that. Just for kicks I'm remaining in the wait room, to see if I can get in a queue just to see what will happen...

Does anyone know how much the 30th Anniversary Pro Edition is yet? US orders go on sale in 35 minutes...
It's running on some kind of lottery system. I logged in at 0740 local time, preorders went live at 0900. I'm in a "waiting room" with 7 minutes to go.
I think I have a better chance of winning the last Driving Mission in GT4 on the very first try and then being hit by lightning before it saves than getting one of those 30th anniversary consoles.

I logged in at 0740 local time, preorders went live at 0900. I'm in a "waiting room" with 7 minutes to go.
Good for you but sucks for me. On reddit last night they seems to think it would not matter when you logged in that it would be a lottery for the queue. I logged it at 8:45am CST for preorders at 9am CST and I am in the over an hour wait time so it appears it did matter. If I'd known I would have logged in earlier..

It's running on some kind of lottery system. I logged in at 0740 local time, preorders went live at 0900. I'm in a "waiting room" with 7 minutes to go.
I think I have a better chance of winning the last Driving Mission in GT4 on the very first try and then being hit by lightning before it saves than getting one of those 30th anniversary consoles.
Yeah I'd say your chances are a bit low

Screenshot-2024-09-26-101922.jpg

I'm actually considering getting one. Not for GT7, the improvements there seem to be miniscule, but I play a lot of other games and would quite like the shiny graphics at 60 fps (like the vast majority of PS5 users, as confirmed by Mark Cerny, my machine is permanently in performance mode). Think I'll upgrade my TV first as it's rather ancient these days, and then pick one up next year if there's no reported issues. The coil whine on my launch machine is getting quite annoying so hopefully that's not a problem with this version.

Last edited:
Good for you but sucks for me. On reddit last night they seems to think it would not matter when you logged in that it would be a lottery for the queue. I logged it at 8:45am CST for preorders at 9am CST and I am in the over an hour wait time so it appears it did matter. If I'd known I would have logged in earlier..
I got far enough to see the Pro console is sold out, then decided at the least I could get a controller to display in my game room. The site booted me out at that point. It wanted 2FA, which is hooked to my primary phone. The bad news is when I got done fiddling with my IRL vehicle and closed the hood, I had left the phone right there and the hood crushed it.
I have a different PSN account I use with my Vita and my work phone. I got in but the wait is over an hour, so I said heck with it and found a displayable controller on eBay for under $150. If there are any left when that hour is up I might be able to cancel that or maybe I'll flip the extra or gasp even use it.
If you play this evening, please hop into the Raptor and drive it into a wall to avenge my phone.

The UK store has it as £960. But it does come with £245+ worth of extras*. So not really any more than the standard Pro, as long as you were wanting to buy those extras anyway.

*Dual Sense Edge = £220 / Dual Sense Charging Station = £25 etc.

Last edited:
I actually got the chance to order a Pro and decided to go for it but then it refused to accept my credit card not matter how I tried to enter it***. Eventually, I refreshed the page at which point it put me back in the queue. Probably for the best as I told the misses that I would only buy if I managed to score the 30th Anniversary version.... :D

***That may have been that right as I was able to buy that a zoom meeting started with my boss so the page sat there for 30 minutes before I could get back to it. Probably timed out...

Edit: so it is sold out now? While I still had one in my cart and got to the point of accepting my CC, pressing the complete order does nothing. I gave up, removed it from my cart and went to shop again but it won't add the PS5Pro anymore. States still available but can't add it...

Edit2: Yep PS5Pro is no longer showing up on the store to order. Must be sold out.
Holy cr*p. I actually ordered one. I'm in trouble now. Hopefully it'll improve my VR!

Last edited:
Back