Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
Yeah ive also heard its coming in October with the 2.5 Update... although this might only be a public beta... but hell I just want to try the damn thing..
Robin

I have heard the public beta thing to. It seems definite to be before the holidays by the talk, but nothing confriming if it is with 2.5 or not.

Well I said that it's NOT coming along 2.5, here's the article where I got it:

Home Community Manager TedTheDeog of the PlayStation EU forums made a clarification as to his previous announcement on the Home Open Beta. Apparently, it's not coming out this month along with Firmware 2.50.

According to him, it was just a matter of wrong wording on his part, but actually, what he meant when he said that FW 2.50 will be bringing Home Open Beta is that "2.5 is bringing some fixes that Home needs and Open beta will be later this year after 2.5 is released."

So there you have it, folks. No Home Open beta when 2.5 lands. Instead, it's just gonna bring in bug fixes. We'll keep you updated on this one as more development arrives.

Source:
http://ps3.qj.net/Home-open-beta-not-coming-with-firmware-2-50/pg/49/aid/124544

Kinda sad really but if at the beggining home didn't seem as such a big deal, it's starting to look even more blunt.:indiff:

Home looks like the biggest waste of time I have ever seen.
I don't see how it will help anything. I want in game single and group chat invites and xmb game invites.
Home looks like Sarah Palin, pretty, but useless and the biggest gimmick ever.

Home looks like the biggest waste of time I have ever seen.
I don't see how it will help anything. I want in game single and group chat invites and xmb game invites.
Home looks like Sarah Palin, pretty, but useless and the biggest gimmick ever.

Well thats a very robust claim. But, I kinda agree, however if they get the 2d part of home right, everything will be fine. The whole world 3d part of it is kinda just a bonus.

Hey its not for everyone, but at least try it when its available.

I'll definitely try it. I hope it turns out to really bring online gaming to a new community level. But it just seems like a really weird idea. It just seems like sony has been really leaving out some major options for online gaming with a system that has been out for 2 years. Alot of things have been put off while this home has been worked on.
It looks like it will seem really cool and exciting at first, and after a couple of weeks with it, it will become a hassle to go through to play games. Maybe not though, maybe it will have lobbies set up for gt5p, and us gtpers can go and hang out in it to get together and race. I hope sony does a good job with it if nothing else. Xbox live is just so far ahead right now. I would love to see sony really pull something off with home, but it just doesn't seem like it's ever going to be released. It's already like a year behind schedule.

Good luck sony, the sales of your next console will really depend on home. Xbox has already had online mastered since the original xbox, it's time that you got it together and took back the gaming industry.

I don't think Sony is going for a direct copy of the competition. A plain 2D version of Home UI should have been implemented into the XMB.

Sony is some 4 years behind Xbox Live IMO. Both systems have features each one could benefit from. But we can't have a perfect world. Developer support is absolutely the key to Home success with game implementation.

That is interesting. I'd love to get my hands on Home at long last (if my PS3 would sign in again) and I'd also love to see Sony and MS go head to head like that, but from what I've heard/seen Home is much more like Second Life then MS experience is, or can anybody briefly explain what MS's plans are for experience.

However I have to say that I doubt Home will be out then. I've heard rumors about a Spring 2009 release and tbh they seem a little more realistic, although I need something to look forward to!

Well, at TGS they said they were on schedule, but didn't give a date. However, the last time they gave a release timeframe they said Fall. so, November 19th is not unreasonable. I know they said that Japan is supposed to be getting their open beta very soon, so November is possible.

I love the fact Sony keep saying "were not sure what it is yet" or rather the press indicate this LOL heres my take on home and what at it's roots is aiming to be. If you remove all the bells and whistles and look at it's core features what you have is a lobby system, adsactly the same as a pre game lobby of most online games. from this "home lobby" you can meet up and chat with your friends then decide what game to play....at this point you are then taken straight to the individual games lobby along with your friends, and then when you finish you all go back to the "home lobby" The home lobby being yours or a friends "apartment.
The details of this system have been repeatedly reported on but usualy as less important to the "bells and whistles" ie sticking pictures on your wall and what colour hair your character can have! This for me is Sonys ace up it's sleve, MS and Live have a similar system but due to voice chat to a single person only (for now) there "pregame lobby" of XMB can only have 2 people at a time in it or 2 comunicating at a time that is. Currently you can do the same on the PS3 with multiple chat feature but your locked into that system and are unable to use any more features in the PS XMB home will open the system up for Sony with the trophy rooms ect ect.
If you were lucky enough to get hold of a beta key for LBP you'll have see a glimps of this system in operation with the way it displayed your friends lists and how easy it was to join or invite them to games and how it showed you what they were doing regarding levels and scores as pop up messages.
Let me give you an example of how you could create a system say for GTP....You get one member to make a GTP themed apartment, now every GTP member who is on that persons friends list could call into that apartment (you could have multiple apartments run by designated staff at set times. Now as a GTP member you could simply go to this GTP apartment and hang around whilst playing pool or what ever till theres a group of you who fancy a race.........you simply then jump straight to the loby in GT5 and have a race....when you've finished it's back out to the GTP apartment to set another race up and to add the scores to say a chart stuck on the wall........it's prety open to what you want to do with the system! As an example if any of you played atari racing game on the 360 cant remember the name (open island online) you could buy a club house and invite club members to join you there then set races up straight from the club, after the race you all returned to the club house.
There are lots of neigh sayers rubbishing the system before theyve even used it. And until Home is available to the whole comunity it's prety limited as to what it dose so no one can really judge it on what it's desighned to be....which is in essence a community tool.

Owen

Last edited:
I love the fact Sony keep saying "were not sure what it is yet" or rather the press indicate this LOL heres my take on home and what at it's roots is aiming to be. If you remove all the bells and whistles and look at it's core features what you have is a lobby system, adsactly the same as a pre game lobby of most online games. from this "home lobby" you can meet up and chat with your friends then decide what game to play....at this point you are then taken straight to the individual games lobby along with your friends, and then when you finish you all go back to the "home lobby" The home lobby being yours or a friends "apartment.
The details of this system have been repeatedly reported on but usualy as less important to the "bells and whistles" ie sticking pictures on your wall and what colour hair your character can have! This for me is Sonys ace up it's sleve, MS and Live have a similar system but due to voice chat to a single person only (for now) there "pregame lobby" of XMB can only have 2 people at a time in it or 2 comunicating at a time that is. Currently you can do the same on the PS3 with multiple chat feature but your locked into that system and are unable to use any more features in the PS XMB home will open the system up for Sony with the trophy rooms ect ect.
If you were lucky enough to get hold of a beta key for LBP you'll have see a glimps of this system in operation with the way it displayed your friends lists and how easy it was to join or invite them to games and how it showed you what they were doing regarding levels and scores as pop up messages.
Let me give you an example of how you could create a system say for GTP....You get one member to make a GTP themed apartment, now every GTP member who is on that persons friends list could call into that apartment (you could have multiple apartments run by designated staff at set times. Now as a GTP member you could simply go to this GTP apartment and hang around whilst playing pool or what ever till theres a group of you who fancy a race.........you simply then jump straight to the loby in GT5 and have a race....when you've finished it's back out to the GTP apartment to set another race up and to add the scores to say a chart stuck on the wall........it's prety open to what you want to do with the system! As an example if any of you played atari racing game on the 360 cant remember the name (open island online) you could buy a club house and invite club members to join you there then set races up straight from the club, after the race you all returned to the club house.
There are lots of neigh sayers rubbishing the system before theyve even used it. And until Home is available to the whole comunity it's prety limited as to what it dose so no one can really judge it on what it's desighned to be....which is in essence a community tool.

Owen
You should split up your posts a bit, I'm getting dizzy by reading that! ;)

Back to topic. Can't wait for Home to be released! :drool:

There are a bunch of new Home vids up on Gametrailers, showcasing some SF4, RE5, and GT5 Playstation Home features (costumes, home spaces, and items).

The GT5 item is pretty cool, it's a nifty racing set up (similar to what you see at E3 / TGS) for your Home Space.

There are a bunch of new Home vids up on Gametrailers, showcasing some SF4, RE5, and GT5 Playstation Home features (costumes, home spaces, and items).

The GT5 item is pretty cool, it's a nifty racing set up (similar to what you see at E3 / TGS) for your Home Space.

There's already a video of that in the GT5P section.

I'm not getting my hopes up. I think Home will be a neat feature, but I'm not putting too much faith into it that it's going to be the reason why I got a PS3 in the first place.

There's already a video of that in the GT5P section.

I'm not getting my hopes up. I think Home will be a neat feature, but I'm not putting too much faith into it that it's going to be the reason why I got a PS3 in the first place.

Well, it will certainly make meeting new people in the community a lot easier.

Normally when you play an online game, you're tossed into the action with another player you've never met before instantaneously, at least with Home you'll be able to chat with a few people in that gamespace and maybe find someone you have something in common with, which could make your experience with that game 100x better.

Those are my thoughts at least.

Well, it will certainly make meeting new people in the community a lot easier.

Normally when you play an online game, you're tossed into the action with another player you've never met before instantaneously, at least with Home you'll be able to chat with a few people in that gamespace and maybe find someone you have something in common with, which could make your experience with that game 100x better.

Those are my thoughts at least.

I agree, I miss the days of playing games like when I used to play Midnight Club 3. It's not a great game but everyone knew everyone and there was no communication barriers as it was typing communication ONLY, no voice and anyone could type keyboard or not. Having a tight knit community like that is what makes gaming great, places like this make it possible for GT5P as much as possible, Home can do it for them all.

Have you guys seen the Far Cry 2 booth pics in Home, im sorry but that damn impressive! can you imagine all the devs having similar environments for their games... and it will be all free to explore, MS would definately charge for something like this so Sony better realise it could be thier saving grace and get it out the door quick!... I think with content like this Home is going to be far from boring!

81962187go7.jpg

34850677xp8.jpg

71959449xm6.jpg

92108418ot6.jpg

61879620fr9.jpg

Robin

Last edited:
I wonder what vehicle selections they got - it'd be awesome if i could somehow download my '65 C10 panel truck into the game :D

Everyone else get the email about Playstation Network Terms Of Service etc. changing?

Do you think this is in preparation for Home? There's a load of guff about user material, and I wasn't aware of any ability to create user material at the moment?

PSN Terms of Service
10. USER MATERIAL

You may have the opportunity to post, stream or transmit pictures, photographs, game-related materials, music, home video content or other information through PSN to share with the PSN community (“User Material”). We may provide you with content to use in the creation of User Material. User Material created by you will belong to you, although any content provided by us will still belong to us and/or our licensors as explained in Section 7 above.

You authorise us, our affiliated companies and other PSN users, to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material throughout PSN and other associated services. You also authorise us and our affiliated companies, without payment to you, to license, sell and otherwise commercially exploit your User Material (for example, selling subscriptions to access User Material and/or receiving advertising revenue related to User Material), and to use your User Material in the promotion of PlayStation products and services. You must not commercially exploit User Material without our consent. You waive any moral rights you may have in your User Material. By posting, streaming or transmitting User Material you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to use, post, stream and transmit such User Material and to grant the rights set out in this paragraph.

You agree to cooperate with us and our affiliates and subsidiaries in resolving any dispute that may arise from your User Material through PSN. We reserve the right to refuse to upload and/or to remove any User Material at our discretion.

Waive moral rights and all that 👍

No, was that for your UK account, or a Japan one?
Seems like they could e talking about Home, or user created avatars. Or both.
The wording sounded a bit harsh the way the kept saying they own everything you create, but since they imply you will be creating it or sending it with their software I suppose it is fair.

The wording sounded a bit harsh the way the kept saying they own everything you create, but since they imply you will be creating it or sending it with their software I suppose it is fair.

Does that mean Adobe own's "half the world" creative content? These terms and conditions may reveal illegal regarding some legislation. At least here in Belgium.:confused:

Does that mean Adobe own's "half the world" creative content? These terms and conditions may reveal illegal regarding some legislation. At least here in Belgium.:confused:

I was thinking that about MS and hotmail, they dont say they own the content you send over that. Although what Sony may be talking about is slightly different. I'm sure the makers of LBP have the rights to every user generated model and structure in that game.

I was thinking that about MS and hotmail, they dont say they own the content you send over that. Although what Sony may be talking about is slightly different. I'm sure the makers of LBP have the rights to every user generated model and structure in that game.
Yes, this is what it is referring too, I believe. If you create user material with their stuff then it belongs to them. I created a scorpion creature in the LBP beta and the moment I added a creature brain the information went from saying Owner: FoolKiller79 Creator: FoolKiller79 to Owner: Media Molecule Creator: Media Molecule Co-creator: FoolKiller79.

It was something like that, since I don't have access anymore I can't directly quote it. Any general inanimate objects maintained you as the owner and creator, but the moment I used an object that used more than just a graphical image, like a creature brain with an AI programmed in, it became theirs.

So, basically if you are in Home and you put up a picture but have it attached to something like a picture frame item they provide then the whole of the final creation belongs to them even though the picture by itself belongs to you. But if it works like LBP you still get credit for working on it.

That is just me guessing based on what I saw in LBP though.

I was thinking that about MS and hotmail, they dont say they own the content you send over that.

Is this not what Google Crome tried to do in the EULA? That was soon overturned :)

Email regarding my UK account by the way.

Is this not what Google Crome tried to do in the EULA? That was soon overturned :)

Email regarding my UK account by the way.

The google thing was different, that said they had the rights to everything you posted and sent whilst on Chrome. Now what you make up in your head and write or draw, with electronic letters and pencils is a lot different then using pre-designed shapes and physics and AI engines in something like LBP. That was why the google thing was changed, they also I think claimed it was a mistake! Believe what you will on that one.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, I dont support Sony with this move, I would rather see a situation were both the creator and the creator's tool maker (ie Sony) both had the rights to the whatever. I'm just making the long winded point that its not really the same as the other two examples.

I asked if it was a Japaneese account because then it might have indicated an early Japan release for Home, but since it wasnt and because Foolkiller believes it has more to do with LBP then I doubt this really has any Home significance, but we can always hope. :dopey:

Last edited:
The google thing was different, that said they had the rights to everything you posted and sent whilst on Chrome. Now what you make up in your head and write or draw, with electronic letters and pencils is a lot different then using pre-designed shapes and physics and AI engines in something like LBP. That was why the google thing was changed, they also I think claimed it was a mistake! Believe what you will on that one.
Initially I thought that it was due to Chrome's open source in order to allow them to protect their IP, so that while you can do stuff with Chrome, you cannot turn around and sell it as your own. I thought it was just poorly worded but after they pulled it down I think it may have been a case of either lawyers getting over-zealous or just a copy and paste from another EULA on one of their other products.

I asked if it was a Japaneese account because then it might have indicated an early Japan release for Home, but since it wasnt and because Foolkiller believes it has more to do with LBP then I doubt this really has any Home significance, but we can always hope. :dopey:
It could also apply to Home too, depending on how customizable they allow you to get. I can see them allowing you to put your own logo on your avatar's T-shirt or something, but Sony owns that T-shirt, you just get the logo.

I honestly hope they don't allow too much customization with your own items, because some stuff will be God awful.

Maybe Home will have an LBP space that will allow you to sticker it up or a small creation area where you can build objects with others giving input and whatnot. Or an area in there where you and others can blueprint a level design before launching the game to actually create it. That would be cool.

EDIT: This could also apply to Singstar's video service and any YouTube videos you upload from in-game.

Thinking about this I know that when I went to the Petit Le Mans their information packet that came with the ticket informed me that I was free to take pictures and videos and use them as I wish, but that since they would inevitably contain portions of the track, teams, or sponsors that they were property of Road Atlanta and the American Le Mans Series and could be used for promotional purposes without me being notified.

Last edited:
Back