Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
I am pretty sure it is random, but using the PSN alot like downloading games and other stuff apparently doesn't hurt your chances. That is why I was kinda surprised, I haven't bought anything from the PSN and still got one.

Got an invite as well. I really like it. :) There's not too much to do at the moment, and the shops are still empty, but I can see the potential. In the Bowling alley you can play bowling, pool and various games in the arcade hall. You can watch movies and trailers in the theatre and walk around in the shopping centre and play a game of chess. Can't wait to check out the other areas when they open.

Anybody got a clue when they are opening up the other areas?

100_0373.jpg

( I don't say that to make home bad, I just think it's worth to mention... as I already know Europe will be getting the weakest content, as usual.)
Well, in terms of the Beta for Home you are currently incorrect. The US version of Home is the most limited of all the ones I have visited so far.

Well i finally managed to set up a uk account and to my horror the uk version of home looks like a pice off crap compered to the japanese version.
Please explain in detail, because I've been to both, and while some things are different, saying one is crap compared to the other is as far away from my own personal opinion about the different versions of Home. Heck, if you thought not having a TGS 2008 Convention Hall or a Home Cafe, or the lack of Darts or classic arcade games is all it takes to be crappy in your book, then you are going to hate the US version of Home, as it currently lacks all of those as well as chess and checkers in the Plaza, and only has a single story single screen Theater, where as Europe's Home currently has a 2-story 10 screen multiplex (11 if you include the screen in the lobby) with a private mezzanine area.

Then again, even the Hong Kong and Japanese PSN Homes are missing the Listen@Home prototype area and have no chess or checkers anywhere. So it's also not like they have everything.

That said, I think all the Homes are great. They all offer the exact same character creation options, the same clothing and accessories, the same personal spaces, the same clubhouse spaces, the same Malls, and generally the same theaters, gaming halls, and central plazas. Sure the plazas all look different and are appealing in different ways, and yes, the Japanese Home has a couple extra halls, and more games to play, but seriously these are not major differences nor are there any differences in terms of the core elements of Home.

Undoubtedly all versions of Home will be going through various changes prior to release, and even afterwards. I certainly don't see the value in getting worked up over the current differences between the regional versions of Home.

It does sound like fun, provided that the socializing isn't too cumbersome. If communication includes voice and/or message typing than I'm all game. 👍
If there's only going to be predefined texts to choose from, than probably not. Or maybe just to come together for a private game. We'll see. :)
I'm confused. Just a couple posts earlier you said you had already installed Home and spent 10 minutes walking around the Plaza... and you never saw anyone chatting? Bizarre. I've been on Home at all different times of day and there are always loads of folks chatting. The first time I logged into Home it took me less than a few seconds to see and hear people chatting in the Plaza, and less time to find those options in the menu system.

I guess next time you'll check the options menu, or maybe even follow the tutorial first? ;)

However, if you need help, here is a guide:
  • Press and Hold R2 for voice chat (must have a PS Eye, or headset set for audio input)
  • Press Triangle for custom chat (either with the InteliText OSD keyboard, or with a PS BT Keypad, or any USB keyboard, wireless as well)
  • Press L1 for a selection of preset text messages.
  • Press R1 for a wide selection of preset action options.
Now you have all sorts of ways to convey your message to those in Home. 👍

That and make some fun avatars... here is my Frankenstein's Monster I talked about (sorry about the poor quality of the pic, its just shots of the screen with a pretty bad camera):

100_0374.jpg

100_0376.jpg

100_0378.jpg

100_0379.jpg

100_0380.jpg

100_0382.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused. Just a couple posts earlier you said you had already installed Home and spent 10 minutes walking around the Plaza... and you never saw anyone chatting? Bizarre. I've been on Home at all different times of day and there are always loads of folks chatting. The first time I logged into Home it took me less than a few seconds to see and hear people chatting in the Plaza, and less time to find those options in the menu system.

I guess next time you'll check the options menu, or maybe even follow the tutorial first? ;)
I took a short look at some people chatting, but only saw predefined texts, probably just a coincidence that none of them was using their own text. After that I didn't bother with other people and just had a look around. I was following the tutorial, until Home crashed due to a connection loss. Home restarted automatically, but not the tutorial. I will restart the tutorial tonight though. :)

However, if you need help, here is a guide:
  • Press and Hold R2 for voice chat (must have a PS Eye, or headset set for audio input)
  • Press Triangle for custom chat (either with the InteliText OSD keyboard, or with a PS BT Keypad, or any USB keyboard, wireless as well)
  • Press R2 for a selection of preset text messages.
  • Press R1 for a wide selection of preset action options.
Now you have all sorts of ways to convey your message to those in Home. 👍
Thanx for this quick reference guide. 👍

More invites will be going out today and over the weekend.

So some of us can extend our sad in-box vigil even longer.

Scaff

I *refresh* have *refresh* no *refresh* idea *refresh* what *refresh* you're *refresh* talking *refresh* about *refresh*....

We need a support group for this kind of thing (and for some worrying reason the start of Fight Club springs to mind).

Regards

Scaff

I think I got in from the Home theme I downloaded a long time ago. Still have it, which I think is key.

I've done nothing else. I don't go to PS3 websites anymore, I don't register my games, I don't participate in any other beta opportunities, (except MGS4 online) and haven't done a single thing with PlayStation Underground, either.

I downloaded that application/theme aswell, but I discovered that my 'US' account had an old email address which I can no longer access :ouch: So I may have received an invite with no way of getting to it... :ill:

Hotmail is pretty unbelievable... two options to recover your password, the first involves remembering your postcode when you made the account (which I apparently couldn't do) and the other involves sending an email to your Hotmail account... you know, the one you are trying to access? :dunce:

I downloaded that application/theme aswell, but I discovered that my 'US' account had an old email address which I can no longer access :ouch: So I may have received an invite with no way of getting to it... :ill:

Hotmail is pretty unbelievable... two options to recover your password, the first involves remembering your postcode when you made the account (which I apparently couldn't do) and the other involves sending an email to your Hotmail account... you know, the one you are trying to access? :dunce:

I'm in the same boat, and gmail is no better, I cant even read the Word Art security thing they have let alone remember some security question I answered a year ago! :ouch:

Seems a new wave of invites has been sent out, i've just got mine, so I'm downloading now. Check your emails people, you might have one too!

Is it just me or does this seem like Sony are gradually feeding in the majority of the PS community instead of having an official launch day were the servers may crash due to a huge spike in users?

I already posted it in another thread, but it is worth mentioning again I guess. ;) Here's the picture of the first GTP party in Home ever!

3066656920_1b36db1f10.jpg

^Whats with you all being skinheads? :lol:

I suppose I'm just going to have to sit and wait for Sony to send me an email like the rest then...:indiff:

There's not much in the way of clothing:lol:

But there is a clothes shop called Threads, i can see that making Sony a fortune when it opens

Last edited:
Back