Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
Asia does include Australia right? We are located in asia but are put in the EU home? Maybe when I wake up tommorow there will be some more stuff to do :)

The Asian region of Home is going to be getting an update with some other rooms.

Images here: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1220628_1124.html

The site is in Japanese though, so don't be expecting to read anything.

Great info, thanks!

I was hoping they would release some Holiday outfits and items for Home...

s1.jpg

👍

I showed my wife that pic, and she wants to make a Home Christmas card... I'll have to ask a friend or neighbor to let us borrow their PS3 in order to do it though.

Upcoming Home content shown at London media day

Posted Dec 10th 2008 5:30AM by PS3 Fanboy Staff
Filed under: Videos and Screenshots, News

Click for a bigger Home

var digg_url = 'http://digg.com/playstation/Joystiq_reveals_upcoming_PlayStation_Home_content'; "Home will live or die on the strength of its content." It was good to hear these words coming from Daniel Hill, Sony Europe's Director of Home, at a media day event in London. While Home's initial vision seemed ambitious and groundbreaking, what we've seen so far in the closed beta has been comparatively underwhelming. What was shown at the event, however, was some upcoming first- and third-party content that showed significant progress and potential.

Seeing as the media day event was hosted by SCEE there will be some info regarding Home spaces that might be correct only for Europe. The majority of info should, however, be universal for all regions.

The MotorStorm apartment, a premium customizable living space, is very different to the Harbour Studio and the Summer House that closed beta users have already seen. Based around the MotorStorm franchise it's set on a cliff shelf, overlooking the MotorStorm festival, complete with an animated race taking place below. The Home developers we spoke to hadn't yet decided how it would be distributed, but suggested it might be a contest prize or
event-based item.

Gallery: Home Launch

Click for bigger caravans

Speaking of events, we were shown the Events space, which has been around for a while now, reskinned for one of three upcoming events, which Sony promised us will be "coming shortly". The event demonstrated was a PSP-3000 treasure hunt, which asks Home users (Homers?) to find eight hidden numbers, strategically placed around the Events space. These numbers are plugged into an in-Home website and enter you into a prize draw for a real life PSP-3000 (pro tip: look closely at the Loco Roco fountain). Everyone who takes part will get a free in-Home PSP-3000 cap (pictured).

Two other events were mentioned, including a "design your own T-shirt" event, with the winner's design being made available for sale in the Home shopping centre. There will also be a "MotorStorm VIP" event, with some sort of developer interaction. These events look like great fun and, if they happen regularly, could be reason enough to come back into Home every so often.

Red Bull has recently been revealed as the first third-party partner to have their own Home environment. This Red Bull Air Race space was available to play with and includes a 3D plane-flying minigame. Players race through a set of rings in the fastest time possible. Times will then be placed on a universal Home leaderboard, allowing you to see how rank against your friends. Seeing full 3D minigames like this inside Home makes the service's potential a lot more exciting than we previously thought.

Click for bigger hats

While all of the above content was shown live, there were also some pieces of concept art on show. These were for upcoming first-party game spaces, such as the Buzz! space which includes a multiplayer minigame called the "Buzz! Runaround." The concept art showed a top-down view of the environment, which looks like a Buzz! controller. Questions are pumped through from MyBuzz! and players must stand on the correct colored button to rack up points. Everyone in the room can play the game simultaneously, which means up to 32 people can be running around this virtual Buzz! controller at a time. This will also have a leaderboard, much like the Red Bull Air Race game.

Concept art for the MotorStorm space, complete with "MotorKartStorm" minigame and merchandise counter where you can buy such things as MotorStorm branded ripped festival jeans, were also shown. Finally, the Resistance 2 space concept art was revealed. The developers will be playing on the "Twisted History" aspect of the franchise by transforming the Home central plaza into a Chimeran infested invasion site. There was also talk of a team-based minigame requiring people to fight back a horde of Chimera, though that wasn't shown in the concept artwork.

Click for bigger planes

That's it as far as content that was shown, but we were promised that there's more waiting in the wings from third parties, many of which they couldn't talk about thanks to contracts being in various stages of completion. Partners that were confirmed include Sega, Activision, Midway, Atari, Eidos, Ubisoft, EA Sports, Diesel and Audi.

A lot of interesting tid bits were also revealed. The Trophy room, long assumed dead, has been placed on hold. Though Daniel Hill did assure us that 3D Trophies would happen in the future. Speaking of Trophies, it has been confirmed that Home will be able to read what Trophies you have and unlock content appropriately. Not only that, but Home will also be able to dish out its own Trophies, though there is no indication how those will work.

It's possible for future games to have this functionality built in, so that when you acquire a Trophy a message will pop up telling you what you've unlocked in Home. There's also the potential for in-game menus, taking you straight to a game's Home space. It seems that integrating the entire PS3 platform in this way is a large aspect of Home.

Just click

There are hopes to develop further PSN Store integration, such as being able to download a game's demo or downloadable content simply by approaching an in-Home advertisement. Cross-game invites are possible by pulling people through Home, thanks to the party system, though it won't be available immediately.

Other updates, like bigger clubs, cross-Home game launching and extended profiles, are already planned. This interesting content should start to drop immediately, with more coming fairly regularly. If that happens, Home could definitely be a worthwhile addition to the PS3's feature list.

Source: Eu Board

I'm coming on for a bit now, might see some of you guys there. Ugh, having connection problems now.

Last edited:
The last time there was an update, they did not re-open the Home servers for a few hours. Personally I'd wait a while before trying again.

From the official forum by Ted the Dog:

Sony Computer Entertainment will conduct system maintenance for PlayStation Home on Thursday, December 18, 2008. At this time PlayStation Home will be updated from ver. 1.03 to 1.04. The system maintenance is scheduled to start at 8am UK, and the service is expected to resume in approximately 6 hours but may change depending on the circumstances. PlayStation Home will be unavailable during the maintenance window.

Bit of a trivial question but.. why is the Home log on stuff on the EU server black whilst the rest of the world servers has a blue colour scheme?

Robin

Yes also, just so you know, voice chat is disabled during 1.0.4 for a little while. I don't have the link right now.

EDIT: So many posts in a 2minute frame.

Ill try tomorrow, not in the mood for this. All is understandable though, im not pissed or anything, you need to update, you need to update, such is life. But 13mb seriously, is this gonna let us have the abilty to download our new game spaces and the Red bull air race? I would really love that:)

Bit of a trivial question but.. why is the Home log on stuff on the EU server black whilst the rest of the world servers has a blue colour scheme?

If I am understanding what you mean by "Home log on stuff" I am guessing you accidentally or may have forgoten that you changed the color option in the settings menu for your EU account.

From my own experience, the default color for all regions is blue, but once you change it in the settings menu, it changes not just the bubble text color and your PSN ID label color, but it also changes the log in color, menus, etc for that specific account.

Yes also, just so you know, voice chat is disabled during 1.0.4 for a little while. I don't have the link right now.

I hope they add the same visual talking genstures that you see when you use the type chat option to whne you press down the R2 button to do voice chat... it would certainly make it seem more realistic. 👍

As of an hour and a half ago, I downloaded the 13 meg update but still couldn't log on.

And D-N is correct, Home's default color for everything is blue (obviously), but if you change, say, your text box color, it does also change you log-in screen, etc.

If I am understanding what you mean by "Home log on stuff" I am guessing you accidentally or may have forgoten that you changed the color option in the settings menu for your EU account.

From my own experience, the default color for all regions is blue, but once you change it in the settings menu, it changes not just the bubble text color and your PSN ID label color, but it also changes the log in color, menus, etc for that specific account.

TB
And D-N is correct, Home's default color for everything is blue (obviously), but if you change, say, your text box color, it does also change you log-in screen, etc.

:lol: Silly me! Your right DN, I changed the colour of my speech bubble... I had no idea it changed the colours of other stuff and really didint see the connection until I read your reply! Its actually quite a nice touch Sony 👍

Ive also noticed that when the Home logon plaquard falls and hits the floor it doesnt land in the same way every time (the same goes for the world map cards)... did Sony give those 3D menus independant physics too?! :lol: If so thats insane! No wonder Home took so long to come out! :sly:

Robin.

Asia does include Australia right? We are located in asia but are put in the EU home? Maybe when I wake up tommorow there will be some more stuff to do :)
Huh? Australia is in Asia? Since when? Australia was its own continent the last time I checked. And it is grouped regionally with the EU due to language.

Do you want to login and have to read through half English half Japanese language screens?

And for those curious about the downtime, here is the full post from the PlayStation Blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/17/playstation-home-system-maintenance/

PlayStation Home System Maintenance
Posted by Abigail Murphy // PR Manager, PlayStation Network

Sony Computer Entertainment will conduct system maintenance for PlayStation Home on Thursday, December 18, 2008. At this time PlayStation Home will be updated from ver. 1.03 to 1.04. The system maintenance is scheduled to start at 12 midnight (PST), and the service is expected to resume in approximately 6 hours but may change depending on the circumstances. PlayStation Home will be unavailable during the maintenance window.

The reason for this maintenance is to ease the difficulty some people are having accessing PlayStation Home due to the high demand for the service.

Additionally, as part of version 1.04, the voice chat feature within PlayStation Home will be temporarily suspended. As soon as we are ready to resume the voice chat feature, we will inform you via PlayStation.com and PlayStation.Blog. In the meantime, we encourage users to make use of the Wireless Keypad for PLAYSTATION 3 or any USB or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard for text chat and also the “phone friend” features to communicate within PlayStation Home.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and kindly ask for your understanding.
So, if I read this correctly, public voice chat will be disabled but you can still phone a friend?

Can you phone more than one friend at a time and conference it all together?

Here are a couple of pictures of Weescotman. He appears to have an invisible top on, but as far as he was concerned he had on a grey shirt. Wierd or what?

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34
Can you phone more than one friend at a time and conference it all together?

I don't think so, which is why I have been making it clear on the EU Home forums that we need a party system, so we stick together when changing spaces and can have a private conference chat within the party.

We also need a way to pm someone without using the XMB messaging system.

I guess they removed open chat to relieve the server loads...? Or is it due to the abuse / people playing non-licensed music publically. No official explanation.....

I also read that clubs are not working either...

Quite disappointed all in all. The patch seems to take away features perhaps to allieviate server load (if this is the case, this is not a solution to the sign-in issues). The spaces didn't arrive, we get charged 79p each for a santa hat, cloak, trousers and boots, 79p for a Christmas tree and £1.59 for a Diesel top which cannot be previewed.

Cor, the new stuff is a bit pricey - £1.59 for a chair...? That's nearly as much as I'd pay for a real one out of IKEA...

The Diesel shop is cool, though 👍 Looking forward to seeing loads more new stuff as and when it comes.

Back