[POLL] United States Presidential Elections 2016

The party nominees are named. Now who do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't David Patreus and somebody else in the Bush administration prosecuted for doing something similar with classified information?
Not the same thing. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opin...libby-email-criminal-20160705-snap-story.html

In the Petraeus case, which came to light in 2012, the CIA director was found to have shared highly classified documents with his biographer, Patricia Broadwell, during the course of their affair. Investigators found more than 100 photographs from notebooks Petraeus had given her, as well as secret PowerPoint briefings on the war in Afghanistan. The Justice Department threatened to charge him with three felonies, which could have landed him in prison for years. They eventually settled on a misdemeanor plea deal, where Petraeus pleaded guilty to giving false statements to the FBI, paid a $100,000 fine and was sentenced to two years’ probation. Petraeus, regarded as one of the military’s most skillful commanders by Democrats and Republicans alike, resigned in shame.

Scooter Libby’s scandal related to the leak of CIA covert agent Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity. In his famous 2003 State of the Union address, President George W. Bush said “the British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.” Six months later, Plame Wilson’s husband, Joseph Wilson, wrote a New York Times op-ed saying that he had not found yellowcake uranium, and said that “it was highly doubtful that any such transaction had ever taken place.” Plame Wilson’s identity was then leaked to journalists, in apparent retribution for Wilson’s statement against the government. Libby was indicted on four felony counts related to his involvement in the leak, fined $250,000 and sentenced to a 30-month prison sentence, which Bush commuted and Libby never served.

4JJ7Iw4.png

This is the full briefing made by FBI director Comey, but I have set it to start at the possible charges.

With all that they have found that was illegal, I can't believe that the recommendation was that "no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case."

Well here is a guy that I believe to be a reasonable former prosecutor.

I don't like to throw this word around, because it gets thrown around a lot, but it strikes me as a racist comment. He's saying that Hussein was a bad guy (and that's underselling it by a good stretch), but you know what, he killed brown people, and some of those people were probably terrorists, so good for him. What? Yea he killed tons of Iraqis, and that makes him good? Because some of those people hated us? He's saying it's good that he didn't "read them their rights", because... there were no human rights. Human rights get in the way of wholesale murder and oppression, which also makes it more difficult to kill terrorists.

Trump is a crazy man. I'm not voting for either him or Hillary (because why throw your vote away on someone that doesn't represent you), but I still find it funny how incredibly difficult it would be to choose between them. On the one hand you have someone who has no respect for property (whether it's the property of american citizens directly, or intellectual property such as classified information that's directly pertinent to the protection of the country), has no respect for human rights, and has no respect for principles of any kind really. And on the other hand you have someone who has no respect for freedom (at least the freedom of american citizens to engage in trade), has no respect for human rights (like, you know, not killing innocent people in Iraq), and has no respect for principles of any kinda really.

I really don't know how some of you are making the decision, and I honestly chuckle a bit at Americans who are hand wringing over which one they're going to get, or how to choose... like it matters.

Question I ask myself when I say some people on this forum and in public argue hand over fist for one or the other. Come November it will be time to watch the world burn...

In my 67 years I've never seen such polarization and anger in the American people. A lot of folks aren't going to be happy with the results of November, and what they'll be motivated to say or do then is beyond me. I'm going to say I'm retired to my hobbies, and it's up to the next generation(s) to fix the problems. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.:D

In my 67 years I've never seen such polarization and anger in the American people. A lot of folks aren't going to be happy with the results of November, and what they'll be motivated to say or do then is beyond me. I'm going to say I'm retired to my hobbies, and it's up to the next generation(s) to fix the problems. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.:D

Next generation is as deluded as the one who trained them based on the delusions of the one before that even...and we come full circle.

...delusions...and we come full circle.
"Oh God, to what junction does our reason abuse, that we canst conceive of greater loves, beyond the graves of our own delusions?!"

- from The Laughing Aloud of Sir Dabby, a parody of Shakespeare, by Uncle Bud

Not even during Vietnam?

Not even during Vietnam?
Not a bad question. In my youth - during the long, long Vietnam war - it was indeed a time of protest and riot in many places and times. Protests broke out over the war, civil rights and police brutality. Nixon was regarded with loathing by many. I participated in civil rights protests, and also against the war. I was involved in a riot in the University District at Seattle. But as a youth and a college student, I read the newspapers and journals of serious opinion. It seemed to me at the time the polarization was between the youth and the adults. Sure, the adult world had its liberals and conservatives, bigots and liberated, but it seemed the adult world was more polite, genteel and restrained in its divisions. Their differences seem smaller, less polarized now in comparison to an adult world which is today fully polarized, especially along economic and class lines, and the youth are more passive, more like bystanders or hapless victims. Back then, good employment and big bucks were easy to come by, and home and auto prices were smaller in comparison to wages. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my simpleminded personal perspective.

I regret that my generation was not as smart at improving the world as I thought it would be. Perhaps we were caught in the trap of technology and self-gratification? I don't know. Perhaps succeeding generations will do better? I don't know that either.

Not a bad question. In my youth - during the long, long Vietnam war - it was indeed a time of protest and riot in many places and times. Protests broke out over the war, civil rights and police brutality. Nixon was regarded with loathing by many. I participated in civil rights protests, and also against the war. I was involved in a riot in the University District at Seattle. But as a youth and a college student, I read the newspapers and journals of serious opinion. It seemed to me at the time the polarization was between the youth and the adults. Sure, the adult world had its liberals and conservatives, bigots and liberated, but it seemed the adult world was more polite, genteel and restrained in its divisions. Their differences seem smaller, less polarized now in comparison to an adult world which is today fully polarized, especially along economic and class lines, and the youth are more passive, more like bystanders or hapless victims. Back then, good employment and big bucks were easy to come by, and home and auto prices were smaller in comparison to wages. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my simpleminded personal perspective.

I regret that my generation was not as smart at improving the world as I thought it would be. Perhaps we were caught in the trap of technology and self-gratification? I don't know. Perhaps succeeding generations will do better? I don't know that either.
Today seems like the nation is exactly split in two in regards to political ideologies. You have the conservative/nationalist/populist revolution occurring with one half of the population and the progressive movement on the other. The "establishment" and moderate group seems to be deteriorating as the far ends are growing.

I'd love to see them do one of Hillary.
I think that's probably harder to do than Trump. As the article points out:
MODAAK [Mental Organism Designed As America's King] isn't designed to be a president, but the kind of ruler America's right sets itself against: a King. "King" captures the authoritarian cult of personality that Trump commands in our universe, in a way that reveals Trump is the stark opposite of the values that made America a nation.
A large part of it is social commentary derived from Trump's fringe politics. I don't think that you could just draw a MODOK with Clinton's face and expect it to resonate with audiences. Her representation would need to tap into public perception - the figurehead of a bureaucratic machine that has taken on a life of its own, with every policy sustaining that life first and benefiting the people second. I'm thinking of a frenzied Martha Stewart type standing on a stage in a pants suit that doubles as a mechanic's jumpsuit, desperately trying to captivate her audience with exaggerated symbols of America that aren't quite right (like a Thanksgiving turkey genetically modified to have six drumsticks or some such) while she fixes a gap in the curtains that threatens to expose the inner workings of the government concealed behind her stage - most of which are impressive-looking machines held together with electrical tape, rubber bands and luck.

I think that's probably harder to do than Trump. As the article points out:

A large part of it is social commentary derived from Trump's fringe politics. I don't think that you could just draw a MODOK with Clinton's face and expect it to resonate with audiences. Her representation would need to tap into public perception - the figurehead of a bureaucratic machine that has taken on a life of its own, with every policy sustaining that life first and benefiting the people second. I'm thinking of a frenzied Martha Stewart type standing on a stage in a pants suit that doubles as a mechanic's jumpsuit, desperately trying to captivate her audience with exaggerated symbols of America that aren't quite right (like a Thanksgiving turkey genetically modified to have six drumsticks or some such) while she fixes a gap in the curtains that threatens to expose the inner workings of the government concealed behind her stage - most of which are impressive-looking machines held together with electrical tape, rubber bands and luck.

Which is why I never said them do one of MODOK Clinton, rather use one of their other villains as commentary on her various and equal I'd say shortcoming that show a sad yet realistic characterization of American politics. There are plenty of women through Marvel comics that Clinton could feel the shoes of. Though DC could easily do the Clinton one instead, hell they already have the character by a long shot

latest

use one of their other villains as commentary on her various and equal I'd say shortcoming that show a sad yet realistic characterization of American politics
And Alan Moore says that comics are an outdated medium cluttering our cultural consciousness and preventing the creation of a new representation of our world ...

Though DC could easily do the Clinton one instead, hell they already have the character by a long shot
I'm afraid I don't know who that is - my experience of comics is only limited to Batman, Batman Eternal and Detective Comics since the launch of The New 52.

I don't think you're right about this.

In the '60's the divisions in the US were actually much more acute. As a couple of many, many examples of internal conflict from the era:

In 1963 George Wallace, the governor of Alabama, stood in front of the entrance to the University of Albama to prevent the registration of three African-American students & was confronted by the Deputy Attorney General of the US sent by President Kennedy & backed up by National Guard.

At Kent State, in 1970, the Ohio National Guard confronted unarmed students protesting the Vietnam war & shot dead 4 students & wounded 9 others. A Gallup poll taken after the incident reported that 58% of respondents blamed the students.

Five days after the shootings 100,000 demonstrators gathered in Washington. Ray Price, the chief speech writer for President Nixon recalled:

"The city was an armed camp. The mobs were smashing windows, slashing tires, dragging parked cars into intersections, even throwing bedsprings off overpasses into the traffic down below. This was the quote, student protest. That's not student protest, that's civil war." Not only was Nixon taken to Camp David for two days for his own protection, but Charles Colson (Counsel to President Nixon from 1969 to 1973) stated that the military was called up to protect the administration from the angry students; he recalled that "The 82nd Airborne regiment was in the basement of the executive office building, so I went down just to talk to some of the guys and walk among them, and they're lying on the floor leaning on their packs and their helmets and their cartridge belts and their rifles cocked and you're thinking, 'This can't be the United States of America. This is not the greatest free democracy in the world. This is a nation at war with itself.'"

The US isn't at anything like that point at the minute. In my opinion, Hillary Clinton has been absurdly over-demonized by conservatives. She actually represents a pretty standard middle-of-the-road, status-quo politician. Riling up the right wing against Obama & Clinton has backfired against the Republican elites, as they're now faced with a GOP nominee who is further from most of the conservative economic principles than the Democratic nominee.

Hillary's email troubles isn't quite over yet, as the State department reopened it's suspended investigation. This investigation was suspended to avoid trampling on the FBI's investigation, which closed this week with no charges filed. If the state department finds something, Clinton's security clearance could be revoked, which could prove difficult when finding a National Security team if elected. The state department's investigation is also targeting her top aids, Cheryl Mills, Jake Sullivan and Huma Abedin.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/07/state-department-reopens-clinton-emails-probe.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back