[POLL] United States Presidential Elections 2016

The party nominees are named. Now who do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the change.org petition where they are trying to force the Electoral college to reverse the state popular vote (using that term specifically) and elect Hillary President? It was retweeted by Marina Sirtis of Star Trek fame and it is 121,000 and some change from reaching 4,500,000 signatures. I am seriously considering unfollowing her.

Regardless of where I fall in terms of who I wanted to win, I find it embarrassing how the losing side has just not accepted the results of the election. The riots, petitions and general millennial special snowflake outrage has been simply ridiculous.

That being said, we all know it would have been the exact same if the Trump lost, hell he even made up a 'fixed' rhetoric to counter a defeat before the polls even opened!

Remember the change.org petition where they are trying to force the Electoral college to reverse the state popular vote (using that term specifically) and elect Hillary President? It was retweeted by Marina Sirtis of Star Trek fame and it is 121,000 and some change from reaching 4,500,000 signatures. I am seriously considering unfollowing her.
I find it hard to blame anyone who is panicking(in a non violent way). Some people lived through the time when media was the source of investigative journalism and abided by some sort of ethics. So for them it was a year of non stop news coverage of Armageddon and the next hitler. We're talking about getting money out of poplitics but i don't even know what kind of solution there is for independent journalism.

According to reports, Ted Cruz is reportedly being tapped for Attorney General:
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/306299-trump-team-mulling-cruz-for-ag-report

I find it hard to blame anyone who is panicking(in a non violent way). Some people lived through the time when media was the source of investigative journalism and abided by some sort of ethics. So for them it was a year of non stop news coverage of Armageddon and the next hitler. We're talking about getting money out of poplitics but i don't even know what kind of solution there is for independent journalism.

Regardless of where I fall in terms of who I wanted to win, I find it embarrassing how the losing side has just not accepted the results of the election. The riots, petitions and general millennial special snowflake outrage has been simply ridiculous.

That being said, we all know it would have been the exact same if the Trump lost, hell he even made up a 'fixed' rhetoric to counter a defeat before the polls even opened!
She was originally from London. Still, that doesn't excuse her next tweet where she thanked Obama for "8 years of a scandal-free presidency". When we all know that the Black Panthers voter intimidation, Fast and Furious, and all of the BS involving Obamacare, and Hillary's private server happened on his watch.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/306299-trump-team-mulling-cruz-for-ag-report

She was originally from London. Still, that doesn't excuse her next tweet where she thanked Obama for "8 years of a scandal-free presidency". When we all know that the Black Panthers voter intimidation, Fast and Furious, and all of the BS involving Obamacare, and Hillary's private server happened on his watch.
personally i just prefer to ignore any celebrity talking about politics. Whether they're right or wrong they're wrong.

Trey Gowdy was unavailable?

Earlier in the week Zuckerberg defended Facebook's role in the election, and claimed that only 1% of content on the site is fake. I thought it was interesting that he referred to fake news as a proportion of all content (cat pictures et al) rather than just news content, nor did he really address what impact that proportion is having (how people react to content is not necessarily correlated to how much of it there is).

With that in mind Buzzfeed have done a study where they found that in the final months of the election the top "fake" news stories were producing more engagement (shares, comments, reactions) than the top stories from mainstream outlets:

sub-buzz-441-1479332078-1.png

It's by no means conclusive - the article admits it's difficult to analyse all content and so for different reasons may underestimate engagement for both fake and mainstream news. Nor does engagement definitively show how content is influencing people's politics. Still an interesting read though.

Also worth noting the fake content they looked at wasn't exclusive to the right - my favourite was the Winning Democrats article that claimed Ireland was officially accepting American refugees. :D

This is called polarization, or culture war, as is the quotation below.

Earlier in the week Zuckerberg defended Facebook's role in the election, and claimed that only 1% of content on the site is fake. I thought it was interesting that he referred to fake news as a proportion of all content (cat pictures et al) rather than just news content, nor did he really address what impact that proportion is having (how people react to content is not necessarily correlated to how much of it there is).

With that in mind Buzzfeed have done a study where they found that in the final months of the election the top "fake" news stories were producing more engagement (shares, comments, reactions) than the top stories from mainstream outlets:

sub-buzz-441-1479332078-1.png

It's by no means conclusive - the article admits it's difficult to analyse all content and so for different reasons may underestimate engagement for both fake and mainstream news. Nor does engagement definitively show how content is influencing people's politics. Still an interesting read though.

Also worth noting the fake content they looked at wasn't exclusive to the right - my favourite was the Winning Democrats article that claimed Ireland was officially accepting American refugees. :D

This signifies the American population's nearly complete and wholly rightful rejection of mainstream media as totally one-sided and biased. This story is only going to get bigger, much, much bigger. Everybody chooses their media feed depending on self-confirmning bubbles. The establishment has only itself to blame. Valuable information here:

This signifies the American population's nearly complete and wholly rightful rejection of mainstream media as totally one-sided and biased.

I agree with you on what is happening, but not the why. If people are rejecting mainstream media because they're too biased, they probably wouldn't be turning to sites that are at least as bad, and usually are far worse!

I'd guess more a case of people rejecting politicians and politics they don't like, and as you say choosing what they want to see to confirm their view, and get what they want, by any means necessary. There's enough evidence in history (across the whole political spectrum) that for many people the ends justify the means, that the dirty tricks and tactics you attack your opponent for are actually fine for your side, because your cause is the "right" one..............and so on.

I tell you another thing - these moaners wanting to get rid of the electoral college are stupid beyond belief.

Constitutionally, I suppose the only way it goes away is if we eventually became a serious multi-party system throughout all phases of governance. This way, multiple parties could exercise control via a majority over the ruling party. Even then, this idea weakens lesser-populated states...not that it matters much presently: For every Wyoming, there's a Rhode Island; for Alaska, there's New Hampshire.

So as long as there's a slim majority spread effectively over two parties, it shall never change. If it's a wider majority, it surely won't change either. I wouldn't say they're moaners so much as it's likely to stay for a long time, if ever for the above reasons.

tl:dr The "winners" will not kill the goose that laid their golden eggs.

Constitutionally, I suppose the only way it goes away is if we eventually became a serious multi-party system throughout all phases of governance. This way, multiple parties could exercise control via a majority over the ruling party. So as long as there's a slim majority spread effectively over two parties, it shall never change. I wouldn't say they're moaners so much as it's likely to stay for a long time, if ever for the above reasons.

tl:dr The "winners" will not kill the goose that laid their golden eggs.
All correct and interesting. I would add that we are "rigged" to be a two-party system as far as the eye can see.

I dearly wish we had term limits, as it's one of the very best ways to drain the swamp and limit the corruption. But we must accept that it won't happen voluntarily, and if a constitutional amendment is offered to force it, a Pandora's Box of possibilities is opened up, not least of which is the "tyranny of the majority", the root problem of all democracies.

So from what I read on the previous page, America has no skilled workers and Everyone in China is a skilled worker.

I find that to be some bull. The majority of people who put the lovely iPhone together have no idea what they are doing.
Boss man says put that there, then screw it in.
If y'all think we Americans can't put something together with instructions, you got another thing coming.
Don't get me started on the S7 that loves to explode. There is no quality products coming from China. They slap the cheapest crap together, put together by someone in extreme poverty with little to no education and ship it out at a ridiculous price.
The only problem might be is America has kinda forgotten how to work. But mark my words we can make everything China makes and we can make it better. Stop this common core education bs and bring back trade schools!

So from what I read on the previous page, America has no skilled workers and Everyone in China is a skilled worker.

I find that to be some bull. The majority of people who put the lovely iPhone together have no idea what they are doing.
If y'all think we Americans can't put something together with instructions, you got another thing coming.
Don't get me started on the S7 that loves to explode. There is no quality products coming from China. They slap the cheapest crap together, put together by someone in extreme poverty with little to no education and ship it out at a ridiculous price.
The only problem might be is America has kinda forgotten how to work. But mark my words we can make everything China makes and we can make it better. Stop this common core education bs and bring back trade schools!
Yes Americans,Canadians and pretty much all of Europe can manufacture. The problem is they won't work for $3 an hour. Trade schools? Yeah that's great,become a Millwright. The problem is,if you have no manufacturing base how do you fix the machines? Trust me, in home construction and renovation in Canada. You have groups of immigrants that will undercut prices. I have no idea how the hell they make money. Construction firms hire these groups at cut rate prices. Drywall installers,painters, etc. I've seen it for the last 10 years.

Nope, that's not what it said.

I find that to be some bull.
You're outraged at something that wasn't actually said.

The majority of people who put the lovely iPhone together have no idea what they are doing.
No one said Americans couldn't do it. They said America doesn't have the same number of skilled production line workers that China does, and that manufacturing in the US would cost more.

Don't get me started on the S7 that loves to explode.
The majority of which are not made in China (Samsung does have a factory in China, but the majority of its products are made in other countries).

There is no quality products coming from China.
Not even remotely true.
https://www.atkearney.com/consumer-...InID/content/luxury-goods-made-in-china/10192
http://qz.com/417052/made-in-china-really-doesnt-mean-what-it-used-to/
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/opinion/23thomas.html

I've got a Chinese made Epiphone Dot and handwired VHT amp, both of which are American designed, but Chinese manufactured and both are quality products, the VHT in particular.

They slap the cheapest crap together, put together by someone in extreme poverty with little to no education and ship it out at a ridiculous price.
In some cases yes, which is why they are cheaper than the US could match to produce.

Can anything that is made in China be made in the US? Yes.
Does that automatically mean it will be better? No.
Would it be cheaper to make it in the US? Almost certainly not.

Last edited:
I agree with you on what is happening, but not the why. If people are rejecting mainstream media because they're too biased, they probably wouldn't be turning to sites that are at least as bad, and usually are far worse!

I'd guess more a case of people rejecting politicians and politics they don't like, and as you say choosing what they want to see to confirm their view, and get what they want, by any means necessary. There's enough evidence in history (across the whole political spectrum) that for many people the ends justify the means, that the dirty tricks and tactics you attack your opponent for are actually fine for your side, because your cause is the "right" one..............and so on.
IMO people are rejecting the mainstream media not because they are biased, because they are biased only one way. It's not a question of turning to something bad or worse, it's a question of turning to someone that has views that are more in line with yours. Bias is everywhere, it's almost unavoidable, but when you turn to mainstream media and the vast majority of it leans one way, you're going to go looking for something else, especially if you're not a fan of Fox.

Except youre completely disregarding the effect that increased export and increased skilled jobs have on the economy.

Nope. I'm totally taking that into account. You're mixing the countries with this statement. The exporter, we're assuming, is not the US. The economy that restructures for more highly skilled jobs, we're assuming, is the US. If you want to have the discussion, let's have it. Economic protectionism vs. Free Trade. Let's go.

It's funny to me how in such a complex and uncertain field as economics with several schools of thought and various implemented and successful corporate ideologies you make statements with such absolute conviction. Reminds me of that scene from good will hunting about apples.

There are no conflicting schools of thought when it come to the economics of isolation vs. free trade. There is one school of thought - that free trade benefits the people who engage in it. There is another school of lack of thought - which is "they took our jerbs".

... you could pretend that it's all much, much simpler, that everything always work out for the best in a perfectly rational way & that people's anger, frustration, sense of alienation & politically self-destructive decisions can be safely ignored.

I'm not pretending that emotional responses from people who refuse to educate themselves in economics can be safely ignored. I'm stating that they're wrong. Everyone benefits from free trade. The response we should have to protectionists is to explain to them that this is the case, answer their questions, and help them to see that their emotional response is unfounded and will result in self-destructive decisions.

I'm not pretending anything.

Sure we do, I meet them all the time.

The majority of people who put the lovely iPhone together have no idea what they are doing.
Boss man says put that there, then screw it in. If y'all think we Americans can't put something together with instructions, you got another thing coming.

No argument there either - we're probably better at coming up with different ideas since there's less restrictions on improving the workplace and soliciting ideas.

There is no quality products coming from China. They slap the cheapest crap together, put together by someone in extreme poverty with little to no education and ship it out at a ridiculous price.

There's some pretty good stuff, but why do you think many companies moved manufacturing over there? Some accountant announced it was cheaper to pay someone $2 an hour rather than $5 an hour (or $7, nowadays), and pay the shipping costs and any tariffs.

Or at some point, the old facilities were out of date, out of specs, out of room, too expensive to maintain. Thus, building a new manufacturing facility near a port city or international airport was a cheaper in the long run, than some shop that was located on some two-lane highway in Calhoun County*, Somethingsvillle. Or the land was scarce for improving the factory in Big City, because...urban land is scarce and other things built around it or near it. So they sold it off or let it decay in the urban core.

So they built a new one overseas, or in Mexico or Canada. And they weren't going to just hinge sales on a single nation, but also become players in a global market...The XYZ Coropration might have reasons to do business in Australia as well as America.

At some point, there was more profit to give back to the shareholders and venture capitalists than any fear of lost profits from consumers (who largely didn't care so as long the products were the mostly same). Point was, someone got greedy...unions, owners, shareholders, political changes and clout. Or just one day, the typewriter, lawn dart, long-playing record, and DDT industries just collapses rapidly over time. It sure as hell wasn't the workers fault.

The only problem might be is America has kinda forgotten how to work.

Labor laws, safety laws, insurance purposes, hazards...and that technology has made things less maintainable, but replaceable. Generations of advertising and attitudes of "just buy the latest" because "you only live once" and "fear of fitting in" don't really help matters. It's easy to tune that out as you get older and wiser, but some folks still play the game.

There's changes in the way kids grow up - I surely wasn't going to learn a trade from my parents who both couldn't do a whole lot with their hands - an art teacher and an investment broker are a variety of different skills, just not elbow-grease jobs. I figured things out for myself when I had time for it, but no...I'm going to let the professional handle that timing belt job. Or just buy a new one because it might take me eight hours of frustration and conspicuous lack of tools to repair an outdated $132 doo-dad.

Once the big factory moved out of the city, what comes next? Bigger cities can get by on a service-based economy, but the smaller towns cannot. There's only so many services needed in those areas. Either they find jobs in medium-sized towns and decay the others around it. The lunch counter is dependent on the factory workers and the grocery is dependent on lunch counter, and the repair guy is dependent on all of those businesses. Drop the biggest employer, and the rest tend to collapse, unless there's tourism and/or other reasons to stay open. It's no secret that Wal-Mart comes in and knocks the competition out, and they started in small/medium-sized towns. They hire, but the other industries go away. Who signs off on that but the local politicians?

But mark my words we can make everything China makes and we can make it better. Stop this common core education bs and bring back trade schools!
I don't think you understand what Common Core “is”. For one, it puts many states on the same page. It means that in time, an education in one state is as valuable as one in another state or school district. That's not so much for people who move frequently, but when one industry improves in one area, there's changes and improvements in another. That makes a difference when someone wants to attend a secondary education in a totally different place because they a have a specialty in a certain degree or field.

Second, it gives different methods to solve problems, especially in mathematics. There’s different ways to tackle a long division problem, and carry that knowledge into algebra, into calculus, and later physics, dynamics, and this way one can be adept and flexible when the workforce changes (because it always finds a way to do it). We have a complex and clumsy language, and there’s methods for understanding sentence structure, etymology, spelling, grammar, different and varying story outcomes.

It doesn’t reward a localized nor immediately-specialized education. It means that benchmarks have to be hit, and that means you can’t always go into the intricacies of local history, how to repair a toilet, regional agricultural changes, explain the differences between Brutalism and Gothic Revival architecture styles, et al. But it does give the tools for students to immerse themselves into discovering those things for themselves. An education is a set of tools, they need sharpening and maintenance, and occasionally…replacement. Education is not an executable file that just works when it shows up and operates by itself when prompted.

Now, if you want to really look at Common Core with a fine-toothed comb and argue that it doesn’t go over religious education, give light to every conceivable political viewpoint, explain cooking techniques, or tell how the Cosworth DFV V8 wasn’t designed for endurance racing, then you have realize some things are learned later in life, in specialized education, or at home.

There's still trade schools. Like any other secondary education, you pay to get in. Many schools no longer have shop class (I liked it, we certainly didn't have a drill press, table saw, nor router at home), courses in electrical repair (got to play with a soldering iron and buy bits at Radio Shack), home economics (sewing!...but no cooking due to a broken oven and budget cuts), and auto repair (wanted to take that, but it was at another school...BYOTransportation). Maybe some schools still have it, I just know one high school I went to had it, and later, they were phased out.

* As a county-collector, I always seem to notice respective Calhoun Counties seem to be a bit off the grid, away from major interstate highways...or just plain off-the-itinerary.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone thinks that. What Americans can't do is stomach working for as little as the people in China do. That's awesome for us, because they'll do it for less, which means we get to have our lovely iPhone (comeon, buy Android people), and in return we get to be MORE productive and make MORE money than we ever could screwing stuff together. Win win.

There's no problem with common core, it's a better way to teach (at least math). Trade schools are great, and we shouldn't shy away from them. But getting cheap products from China is a great way to leverage ourselves into better jobs and raise our standard of living.

south-park-s20e01-member-berries_16x9.jpg

'member trade schools? 'member times tables? oh yea I 'member times tables!

I don't think anyone thinks that. What Americans can't do is stomach working for as little as the people in China do. That's awesome for us, because they'll do it for less, which means we get to have our lovely iPhone (comeon, buy Android people), and in return we get to be MORE productive and make MORE money than we ever could screwing stuff together. Win win.

There's no problem with common core, it's a better way to teach (at least math). Trade schools are great, and we shouldn't shy away from them. But getting cheap products from China is a great way to leverage ourselves into better jobs and raise our standard of living.

The problem with that (if it's a problem) is that some people are going to aspire to roles which they thought they'd both enjoy and get wealthy off from performing. They'd kind of floated on dreams and ideals that worked for generations before them, but didn't realize they weren't as solid as before. There was an unfailing belief that everything was going to be the same for ages - folks assumed years ago that you'd work for the same company for decades and retire nicely and satisfactorily. Ironically, I'd been hearing it since I was 15; thus, the falsehood had been smashed well over a generation ago.

Lots of people didn't realize that if there's more types of jobs out there, and with interchangeable skills, there's more people who can do that job. Thus, there's a decrease or stagnation in pay. So it works both ways - the middle class is actually expanding, but it's delusional to think it's an immediate springboard into lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills.

I think there's other types of wake up calls that went unanswered for years: the replacement of workers with automation. I think a lot of people thought it would be robots, but it would up just being more effective equipment, processes, and machinery. Look at a factory; there's lots more equipment that can handle larger loads or move faster and/or more precision than if just a dozen people were doing it. It also wasn't just factories, it also happened in retail, in agriculture, in the military, clerical work. What needed to happen was a reshuffling of the decks, and retraining to do all that, to think of all that. Instead, the media calls it the "housing/lending bubble", not the "people aren't adaptable bubble".

But someone on the other end makes those machines, somebody has to do the training, installation, transportation, and somebody has to operate and maintain it (until full AI, I suppose...the anti-Robot Party will really pick up the undecided voters at that point).

I really do hope Trump survives his presidency, as i want to see what changes he can accomplish.

He has raging liberals, BLM'ers, the former political establishment and big business opposing him and his ideas and they would love nothing more than to see him go. I'd be surprised if there aren't going to be attempts at his life :indiff:.

That's not what a skilled workforce is.

A skilled worker is someone who has a particular knowledge or expertise that enables them to do a job. To use your example of an iPhone, there are thousands of components used to make one, and they're not assembled by hand. In many cases, they have to be built by machines in an hermetically-sealed environment. The ability to operate that machine is regarded as a skill. In order to get that skill, a worker needs to be trained in the use of that machine. If the factory invests in a new machine, that worker may need to be retrained to use it. That training can take time and can be expensive, both in terms of physical cost and working hours lost to the training programme.

This example is a simplification for the sake of argument, but you get the point - workers may need many skills, which compounds the problem. It's clearly easier and cheaper for the Chinese to invest in these programmes.

Stop this common core education bs and bring back trade schools!
If you cut common core, you're going to end up with wildly different education standards between states. All that is going to do is place a greater reliance on standardised testing to try and get parity between states, which is a terrible idea because standardised testing does not engage students' thinking and developmental skills, and teachers will have to spend a lot of time preparing them for it when that time could be better spent meeting educational outcomes.

I find it a little strange that people base their dislike for Trump on things he has said.
Why not wait until he's done something bad, before deciding he already is before he's president?

That's not how liberal outrage works though, they immediately attach on to what you said, compare you to Hitler, and, I guess now, start rioting because they don't understand the First Amendment.

Honestly I don't think Trump will be that bad since there's still a system of checks and balances to keep him in line. He will do stupid things, but so has every other president and I don't think he'll start World War III with Russia like Clinton was almost certainly going to attempt to do.

I find it a little strange that people base their dislike for Trump on things he has said.
Why not wait until he's done something bad, before deciding he already is before he's president?
Not strange at all. We are a narcissistic peacock culture of instant gratification, with the power of force-feeding ourselves what we want to hear and see, and the creation of an echo-chamber, a bubble of perfect self reflection and identity reinforcement.

Honestly I don't think Trump will be that bad since there's still a system of checks and balances to keep him in line.

I keep seeing variations of this sentiment all over the place, and I just don't get it.

One of those "checks" is a now-completely-Republican-controlled Congress that will be terrified to block Trump's agenda. Trump's election showed how much support he has among the very same people those Congressmen need to get votes from to stay in office. You think they'll risk their seats to stymie him? I doubt it.

The other "check" is, of course, SCOTUS, which will remain conservative, and could feasibly find itself with three or four Trump appointees by the end of his presidency. If we reach a point where a third of the court owes their seat to Trump, do you think they'll be eager to stand in his way? I again doubt it.

No, to me, it's looking like the only person who can keep Trump in check is Trump. And I don't have very high hopes of that happening -- the man can't even allow a mean tweet to roll off his back.

I keep seeing variations of this sentiment all over the place, and I just don't get it.

One of those "checks" is a now-completely-Republican-controlled Congress that will be terrified to block Trump's agenda. Trump's election showed how much support he has among the very same people those Congressmen need to get votes from to stay in office. You think they'll risk their seats to stymie him? I doubt it.

The other "check" is, of course, SCOTUS, which will remain conservative, and could feasibly find itself with three or four Trump appointees by the end of his presidency. If we reach a point where a third of the court owes their seat to Trump, do you think they'll be eager to stand in his way? I again doubt it.

No, to me, it's looking like the only person who can keep Trump in check is Trump. And I don't have very high hopes of that happening -- the man can't even allow a mean tweet to roll off his back.

You can thank the DNC, the Clintons, Soros and sundry PC elitist liberal leftists for putting us in this completely spreadeagled position!!

Not only is the federal government now controlled lock, stock and barrel by Republicans, so is the overwhelming bulk of the governorships and state legislatures!! The Democrats have committed suicide, and are now going through ritual rending of garments before burial. What will rise from the graves of the dead but vengeful ghosts and demons?

Last edited:

Republicans don't like Trump so career politicians will struggle to support him fully, and if Trump does try and push through any of his wackier ideas, the Supreme Court must uphold the Constitution whether they are conservative or liberal. If they don't, then they are making a mockery of everything they vowed to uphold.

The American people will hold him in check too, I think many of those who voted for Trump didn't agree with his racism, sexism, etc. but they did agree with his economic policies so they will speak out if he starts doing any of the things the protesters are rioting about. The President can also be impeached if he's found to be doing anything illegal too.

I think he's more in check then you think he is, especially since I think there's more behind the scenes stuff that goes on in the government that we never see.

Expert opinion. :D
tEVnRri-VGI.jpg
Related, I've always wondered what would happen if we voted a legit Mafia boss as our president. And his cabinet were all family. Like...nobody would mess with that. You don't mess with the Mafia. They would get stuff done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back