[POLL] United States Presidential Elections 2016

The party nominees are named. Now who do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of that is aimed towards teachers who influence students, from my experience of all the teachers that revealed there political affiliation when I was a Student have been Left apart from my 10th grade history teacher who basically hated both sides, Several have even been fond of Communism.

But you can't force teachers to have political beliefs in which ever way you want so it's not like it can be helped.

Mostly quoting this because of an article I read recently:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-intellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-america

Some highlights:

• After leading the world for decades in 25-34 year olds with university degrees, the U.S. is now in 12th place. The World Economic Forum ranked the U.S. at 52nd among 139 nations in the quality of its university math and science instruction in 2010. Nearly 50% of all graduate students in the sciences in the U.S. are foreigners, most of whom are returning to their home countries;
  • The Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs commissioned a civic education poll among public school students. A surprising 77% didn't know that George Washington was the first President; couldn't name Thomas Jefferson as the author of the Declaration of Independence; and only 2.8% of the students actually passed the citizenship test. Along similar lines, the Goldwater Institute of Phoenix did the same survey and only 3.5% of students passed the civics test;
  • According to the National Research Council report, only 28% of high school science teachers consistently follow the National Research Council guidelines on teaching evolution, and 13% of those teachers explicitly advocate creationism or "intelligent design;"
  • 18% of Americans still believe that the sun revolves around the earth, according to a Gallup poll;
:eek:

You can thank the DNC, the Clintons, Soros and sundry PC elitist liberal leftists for putting us in this completely spreadeagled position!!

Not only is the federal government now controlled lock, stock and barrel by Republicans, so is the overwhelming bulk of the governorships and state legislatures!! The Democrats have committed suicide, and are now going through ritual rending of garments before burial. What will rise from the graves of the dead but vengeful ghosts and demons?

Er, no: blame the people that voted these people in.

About the Twitter bannings: that's fine. Twitter is free to do it, in much the same way we here at GTPlanet ban members we believe to be disruptive.

Republicans don't like Trump

Seems true enough, but I would reiterate this:

Trump's election showed how much support he has among the very same people those Congressmen need to get votes from to stay in office.

Just look at how many of them publicly "denounced" him, while still ultimately endorsing him. I'm not sure what makes you think they'll suddenly grow a spine and throw their own reelection chances in the trash, but I don't share your optimism on that front.

if Trump does try and push through any of his wackier ideas, the Supreme Court must uphold the Constitution whether they are conservative or liberal.

You mean the same Constitution that is constantly being reinterpreted by the Supreme Court? I think both parties long ago figured out how to make the most of that wiggle room.

The American people will hold him in check too, I think many of those who voted for Trump didn't agree with his racism, sexism, etc. but they did agree with his economic policies so they will speak out if he starts doing any of the things the protesters are rioting about.

I don't have much faith in the people's ability to keep themselves adequately informed in general, let alone to keep a close enough eye on things to stop his shenanigans before it's too late.

And as far as most opting for his economics over his racism/sexism/whatever, I'd point out that Clinton got 52% of the under $50k vote, compared to Trump's 41%. Those most in need of a stronger economy preferred Hillary. It's easier, and more comfortable, to credit Trump's victory to level-headed, hard-working Americans who won't put up with any misguided social policies, but I'm not sure the numbers support that hope.

Oh, agreed. Though it seems it's been brought up before with similar results:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ink-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says

As ever with these things though, I imagine location plays a huge part in this.

It's still very hard to believe. But perhaps they were thinking that it depends on the origin of your reference frame. I mean if you're using an ECEF (earth-centered-earth-fixed) reference frame, the sun does go around the Earth.

Just look at how many of them publicly "denounced" him, while still ultimately endorsing him. I'm not sure what makes you think they'll suddenly grow a spine and throw their own reelection chances in the trash, but I don't share your optimism on that front.

Voters and lobbyist will keep them in check, it's how all Congressmen have gotten spines in the past. If their state or district ends up shouting loud enough and working to vote them out, they'll change their tune real quick.

You mean the same Constitution that is constantly being reinterpreted by the Supreme Court? I think both parties long ago figured out how to make the most of that wiggle room.

But there are things in the Constitution that don't need any interpretation. If Trump starts denying rights to citizens of the US, like say banning Muslims from entering the country even if they are natural born citizens, then he's in clear violation of the Fourteenth Amendment. If they don't do their job then it's out rights as citizens to protest (peacefully and without burning down a city) and speak out.

And as far as most opting for his economics over his racism/sexism/whatever, I'd point out that Clinton got 52% of the under $50k vote, compared to Trump's 41%. Those most in need of a stronger economy preferred Hillary. It's easier, and more comfortable, to credit Trump's victory to level-headed, hard-working Americans who won't put up with any misguided social policies, but I'm not sure the numbers support that hope.

I'd be curious to see that broke down even more and not from a CNN exit poll that said Clinton was winning until midnight. People from $40k-$50k might have voted for Clinton in much smaller numbers then say someone in the $15k-$25k range. And judging which counties went to Trump, it sure looked like it was the working class that was fed up with the economy and not those who live in more urban areas.

Voters and lobbyist will keep them in check, it's how all Congressmen have gotten spines in the past. If their state or district ends up shouting loud enough and working to vote them out, they'll change their tune real quick.

And I'm saying those voters have already shown that what will get you in trouble quicker than anything is being against Trump. Look at what happened to Paul Ryan's favorability when he initially refused to endorse.

Politicians know better than you and I where the voters are at, which makes their behavior very telling. Why do you think Jason Chaffetz ended up re-endorsing Trump after saying he could never look his daughters in the eye if he voted for him?

But there are things in the Constitution that don't need any interpretation. If Trump starts denying rights to citizens of the US, like say banning Muslims from entering the country even if they are natural born citizens, then he's in clear violation of the Fourteenth Amendment. If they don't do their job then it's out rights as citizens to protest (peacefully and without burning down a city) and speak out.

Section 1 of 14A is the most litigated part of the Constitution, and there's a reason for that: It's one of the hardest to define. To say anything at all is a "clear violation" of 14A before SCOTUS actually rules on it is folly. It's almost impossible to predict how the court will apply the equal protection clause in any given case.

I'd be curious to see that broke down even more and not from a CNN exit poll that said Clinton was winning until midnight.

As would I. Neither of our wishes invalidate the numbers that are available, though. It's still instructive to look at the numbers we do have.

People from $40k-$50k might have voted for Clinton in much smaller numbers then say someone in the $15k-$25k range.

And they might not have. Speculation doesn't really do a lot of good.

And judging which counties went to Trump, it sure looked like it was the working class that was fed up with the economy and not those who live in more urban areas.

More speculation; it's possible to explain the rural vs. urban split without pointing to economic factors at all.

Mostly quoting this because of an article I read recently:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-intellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-america

Some highlights:

• After leading the world for decades in 25-34 year olds with university degrees, the U.S. is now in 12th place. The World Economic Forum ranked the U.S. at 52nd among 139 nations in the quality of its university math and science instruction in 2010. Nearly 50% of all graduate students in the sciences in the U.S. are foreigners, most of whom are returning to their home countries;
  • The Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs commissioned a civic education poll among public school students. A surprising 77% didn't know that George Washington was the first President; couldn't name Thomas Jefferson as the author of the Declaration of Independence; and only 2.8% of the students actually passed the citizenship test. Along similar lines, the Goldwater Institute of Phoenix did the same survey and only 3.5% of students passed the civics test;
  • According to the National Research Council report, only 28% of high school science teachers consistently follow the National Research Council guidelines on teaching evolution, and 13% of those teachers explicitly advocate creationism or "intelligent design;"
  • 18% of Americans still believe that the sun revolves around the earth, according to a Gallup poll;
:eek:
Looks like that Common Core is really working. I suppose it's dumbing down everyone equally though so there's that.

Clinton didn't get 52% of the under $50k vote. A exit poll shows that 52% of people under $50k say they voted for Clinton and we know how accurate polls are when it comes to anything with Trump in it.

A exit poll shows that 52% of people under $50k say they voted for Clinton and we know how accurate polls are when it comes to anything with Trump in it.

That's a fair point. But I'll repeat my point from my previous post: It's still instructive to use what numbers we do have, rather than just resorting to unfounded speculation because we like the conclusions we can draw from that better.

Clinton didn't get 52% of the under $50k vote.

So you'll refute tentative conclusions based on what data is available, but then you'll just throw this out there as fact when it's substantiated by nothing at all? Okay...

A exit poll shows that 52% of people under $50k say they voted for Clinton and we know how accurate polls are when it comes to anything with Trump in it.

Exit polls are generally more trustworthy because they're asking people how they actually voted, and the sample sizes are much larger. And given national pre-election polls ended up fairly accurate, a national exit poll is probably instructive, for @huskeR32 's point at least.

So you'll refute tentative conclusions based on what data is available, but then you'll just throw this out there as fact when it's substantiated by nothing at all? Okay...
All you can say is that the exit poll says she got 52% of a certain demographic. It's you who is drawing the conclusion that the poll is accurate by saying,"Clinton got 52% of the under $50k vote, compared to Trump's 41%." We already know that traditional polling data under represents the Trump Vote and I see no reason to think it's any different with exit polls.

I'd like to know how this "participation trophy" saying got involved with the protesters. I find that the participation trophy stuff is mostly recent, say the year 2000+ which would make those with actual participation trophies not old enough to vote yet...

say the year 2000+ which would make those with actual participation trophies not old enough to vote yet...

Anyone born before Nov 8, 1998 could vote this year, making them fit easily into that timeframe considering most kids don't start doing activities until they're 5-6.

Would it be cheaper to make it in the US? Almost certainly not.
Taking out the price of labor. Why can't America source the materials needed to produce said products and still make decent products and keep prices reasonable?
Perfect example is gasoline, the company complains about profit loss, makes the customer suffer, then brags about having over a billion dollar PROFIT for the quarter! Anyone remember the gas crisis?

I'm honestly tired of it and think it's time the wheel is in our hands.

Trump Protesters Storm GSA Building Where Trump's Transition Team Is Based

http://time.com/4574951/donald-trump...on-protesters/
So by storm you mean walk in.

Taking out the price of labor. Why can't America source the materials needed to produce said products and still make decent products and keep prices reasonable?
Perfect example is gasoline, the company complains about profit loss, makes the customer suffer, then brags about having over a billion dollar PROFIT for the quarter! Anyone remember the gas crisis?

I'm honestly tired of it and think it's time the wheel is in our hands.
How do you take out the price of labour for manufactured goods?

And no petroleum is not a perfect example, it's a low worker requirement in terms of manufacture.

Scafff, if you had bothered to click on the Time Magazine article you would see that was the headline, I don't capitalize every word in a sentence just for kicks. Obviously I don't write for Time Magazine so that is not my headline, and the word storm is appropriate considering they did not have a meeting scheduled and they were not invited, not to mention they filled the entire lobby with a mob of people chanting and protesting.

Last edited:

How do you take out the price of labour for manufactured goods?

And no petroleum is not a perfect example, it's a low worker requirement in terms of manufacture.
What I meant by that, is canceling out the higher labor cost by lowering prices of supplies by self producing them efficiently. We can make our own gas(and have lowered our prices by not relying as much on other countries), we just have a problem with everyone agreeing on the locations...

This signifies the American population's nearly complete and wholly rightful rejection of mainstream media as totally one-sided and biased.
This does not signifies that since "nearly complete", "wholly rightful", "totally one-sided" are all subjective terms.

Since populist's followers lives with the idea that the reality should bend to match their believes, Front National (Le Pen's party in France) once made the following proposition: the official inflation rate, based on actual prices evolution, should be replaced by the inflation as perceived by the population.

Point is, the fact that a category of people - on average way more informed that the rest of the population - lean one way, even opposite to a majority, doesn't mean that this group is dysfunctional, nor that it would be beneficial for the society to mute/balance it. Or said in context: the fact that a vast majority of mainstream medias goes one way could mean that this is simply the "right" way. As shocking as it may sounds to you, this way of viewing things weight equally with the "all biased" point of view - and according to election results, likely shared by a majority of voters in US.

I find it a little strange that people base their dislike for Trump on things he has said.
Why not wait until he's done something bad, before deciding he already is before he's president?
How people dare judging a candidate to the presidency with no previous electoral mandate based on what he's saying and not actual experience?

It's still very hard to believe. But perhaps they were thinking that it depends on the origin of your reference frame. I mean if you're using an ECEF (earth-centered-earth-fixed) reference frame, the sun does go around the Earth.
This is in line with studies i've read for decades about partial obscurantist education in US when it comes to scientific fact disrupting religion beliefs.
440px-Views_on_Evolution.svg.png

(source)

While it is on a separate topic from the sun going around the earth, it's still quite sad in its own right. Still, this chart anecdotally refutes the earlier statement that 20% of people in the US think the sun goes around the Earth. That would suggest that half of all people who believe in creationism, believe that our entire model of the solar system is wrong. Not just that god created it, but that it's all lies. That has not been my experience. I run into far more creationists who accept that we have been to the moon than otherwise. I've never run into anyone who would claim that the Sun goes around the Earth.

I'd like to know how this "participation trophy" saying got involved with the protesters. I find that the participation trophy stuff is mostly recent, say the year 2000+ which would make those with actual participation trophies not old enough to vote yet...
Perhaps watch this video. My son is 24 and daughter is 18. Both old enough to vote. Yes they had dumb participation trophies too.
http://www.angrypatriotmovement.com/cowboy-epic-takedown-protestors/

Anyone born before Nov 8, 1998 could vote this year, making them fit easily into that timeframe considering most kids don't start doing activities until they're 5-6.
Perhaps watch this video. My son is 24 and daughter is 18. Both old enough to vote. Yes they had dumb participation trophies too.
http://www.angrypatriotmovement.com/cowboy-epic-takedown-protestors/
I grew up in the 90's and never once received anything for participation. I guess western Colorado in the 90's hadn't caught up to the participation trophy craze yet.

I grew up in the 90's and never once received anything for participation. I guess western Colorado in the 90's hadn't caught up to the participation trophy craze yet.
Well in Canada they handed them out like candy. Here is another video,I love this guy.

Well in Canada they handed them out like candy. Here is another video,I love this guy.
My son was born in 92' and he had all kinds of them from soccer and hockey. I'll never forget the day he won the local house league championship when he was 9 or 10 and when we got home he put all the participation ribbons in a little box and into a back corner of the closet, never to be seen again, and the trophy stood alone on the shelf. I almost shed a tear at that:(

In other news, a snowball may indeed have a chance in hell:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politics/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-allies/index.html
President-elect Donald Trump will find himself with an unlikely ally if he makes good on his promise to be an economic populist challenging corporate America, Bernie Sanders said Thursday. "If Mr. Trump has the guts to stand up to those corporations," said the former Democratic presidential candidate, "he will have an ally with me." The willingness on the part of Sanders, a longtime democratic socialist, to work with Trump on a series of economic issues underscores the unorthodox and strikingly populist message that Trump used during his stunning victory over Hillary Clinton.

Last edited:
My son was born in 92' and he had all kinds of them from soccer and hockey. I'll never forget the day he won the local house league championship when he was 9 or 10 and when we got home he put all the participation ribbons in a little box and into a back corner of the closet, never to be seen again, and the trophy stood alone on the shelf. I almost shed a tear at that:(
I coached my son in hockey and baseball. Born in the same year as yours. He played AAA hockey,Baseball and football. He always played on good teams. Yes, but he had the same thing in house league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back