Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,496 comments
Azuremen
I really don't get this mindset that not using Photoshop somehow makes a person a better photographer.

Its the same reason Porsche isn't in the game: Licensing.

Oh wait... Thats the wrong explanation. :lol: Here's the right one:

Its the same reason people never use driving aids online even if it makes the car less realistic to drive: Pride.

Its the same reason Porsche isn't in the game: Licensing.

Oh wait... Thats the wrong explanation. :lol: Here's the right one:

Its the same reason people never use driving aids online even if it makes the car less realistic to drive: Pride.

I take it you've never done any photography? All of the old, famous works have a fairly decent back story that often involve hours of dark room time and processing. Of course, it is always nice to have a perfect exposure right off the bat, but even then, far more can be done beyond that (even with film) because of the amount of data that can be pushed in the shadows and highlights.

But sure, if you want to say pride is a solid reason, go ahead. Most of the time when Photoshop is used correctly, you can't even tell. In my mind, it is a pretty crap excuse to limit yourself from presenting things to their fullest.

As a photographer, I have to say I kind of resent that statement. The shots are lovely but quite a bit more could have been done with the exposure handling, or at least detail preservation in post. White balance as well. All of that use to be done in dark rooms and processing with film.

I really don't get this mindset that not using Photoshop somehow makes a person a better photographer.

That aside, the guy has an excellent eye.

PS - PNG files aren't the best for images of this nature, those are rather large in file size for the resolutions presented.

I think the pictures are great and I DO hold a higher esteem for pictures untouched (not photoshopped). Not trying to start an argument, just posting my opinion as you posted yours.

I think the pictures are great and I DO hold a higher esteem for pictures untouched (not photoshopped). Not trying to start an argument, just posting my opinion as you posted yours.

The funny bit is, as I've said, most people can't tell which have been put through Photoshop, and which haven't. Of course, some people also seem to think Photoshop must mean removing elements in the shot, but digital dark room also falls into it as well, such as color and tone corrections - things that happen in film and printing processes as well.

Though my original point was the idea that somehow not using Photoshop makes someone a better photographer. The color correction and exposure adjustments could have been done in camera as well, but easier to handle via raw files in post.

But please, tell me which of these is the Photoshop.

Daytona Violet in the Snow by Cody Schroeder, on Flickr

The M3 at Vantage by Cody Schroeder, on Flickr

The MR-S by Cody Schroeder, on Flickr

Azuremen
In my mind, it is a pretty crap excuse to limit yourself from presenting things to their fullest.

I agree with this fully. If you are going to do something, do it your best. What I meant by "pride" is I think people take the term photographer too literaly. This leads them to believe that photoshop is a sort of "cheating" (especially with todays technology and how good photoshop is) and you are a bad photographer if you need to use it because your original pictures "aren't good enough." Or maybe they are just lazy and don't want to take the time on the computer. Either way, yes I agree. Do it 100% or don't do it at all.

*snip* I really don't get this mindset that not using Photoshop somehow makes a person a better photographer.

That aside, the guy has an excellent eye.

PS - PNG files aren't the best for images of this nature, those are rather large in file size for the resolutions presented.

Fair enough, that's sound logic to me. I'm no photographer.

It's worth noting that he wasn't bragging about it, I asked him if he adjusted anything when I saw the shots.

Updated to JPEGs.

Edit: Picture thread with Photoshop fun:
mustangontheroadps.png

I think I went a bit overboard on the contrast and vibrance.

Last edited:
The snow one???

Yup. It would've been very difficult with the mixed light sources to produce proper colors without some serious tweaking in camera to the white balance system.

I agree with this fully. If you are going to do something, do it your best. What I meant by "pride" is I think people take the term photographer too literaly. This leads them to believe that photoshop is a sort of "cheating" (especially with todays technology and how good photoshop is) and you are a bad photographer if you need to use it because your original pictures "aren't good enough." Or maybe they are just lazy and don't want to take the time on the computer. Either way, yes I agree. Do it 100% or don't do it at all.

The reality is, at least these days, even the most professional photographers don't quite what they want every time, and so these tools have made it so many shots that might have been less true to the scene could not have been saved without them. Such as color bounce off a green dress onto someone's face, causing green casting. Or, more immediate, the example of my car on the snow above, where the original color, do the limited spectrum of sodium lamps, looked like this.

Fair enough, that's sound logic to me. I'm no photographer.

It's worth noting that he wasn't bragging about it, I asked him if he adjusted anything when I saw the shots.

Updated to JPEGs.

I didn't mean to come across overly aggressive. Could be a bit of a rough spot when people seen shots of mine and ask "Photoshop?" and I answer "yes" because I did color correction and some dodge and burner (those two are old dark room techniques for long ago), only to see their expression change just a bit. To me, it is part of the vision of being able to reproduce what you see in your mind when you look at something and what the camera actually captures.

And your photographer's work is excellent and would honestly be fine going through printing as is. Hell, some of the lack of contrast in a few shots actually works with the Mustang to add a feeling of an era to it. I was pleasantly surprised to see those when I scrolled down the page :)

Azuremen
Yup. It would've been very difficult with the mixed light sources to produce proper colors without some serious tweaking in camera to the white balance system.

Woo hoo, do I win a CZ3 Tarmac as a prize? Lol

You live in Michigan.

Why do you have a front plate at all? No, I don't care if it's from California.

If you click on the pic link it says
Someday I'll have California plates front and back.

And I will get the car painted this year, I know it looks bad.
So that's either a shopped plate or he actually has one, and I presume he wants to move to cali according to that quote

Yep, it's real. The car looked a little plain with nothing. Plus I like how California plates look, so I threw it on for giggles.

Yes I painted it, it was the only place on the car that was chrome, so I made it black. I also plan on doing the antenna just for fun.

2007 BMW 328i (E90). Monaco Blue metallic over tan leather. 230hp inline-6 paired with a 6-speed automatic (meh). RWD 👍

Got it certified pre-owned from a dealer for about $13,000 off the sticker price from just 2 years prior :D

And yes, those are in fact 16-inch wheels on a BMW :grumpy: I'll fix that with some bigger OEM wheels when I can.

literally installed this valve cover over the last hour. Weighs 2,020 lbs full of petrol. It's on stock wheels for winter, 14" RPF-1's for summer. Tein Flex coilovers, i/h/e, hardtop.
394402_2434234220897_1402947049_32021258_1330405386_n.jpg

The photographer was great. He didn't use Photoshop to make any of these :D
Edit: JPEGs now.
He has a good eye, but he needs to work on capturing details. Going for either "Shelby" or "GT350" is one thing, but I can see in some pictures he tried to focus on the logo & only the middle section of it is in focus.

It's a mistake I've made a lot in the past & try not to make it now-a-days.

The car is fantastic, though. 👍

I can finally post here since it's officially the car that I will be driving, so here goes after a nice wash today:
6704865567_706e44acf0_b.jpg

Might get some 18's after this set of tires is done, and that's about it, apart from that Ill just put money into keeping everything looking nice.

Back