Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
To someone like us who knows a lot about cars... but for the majority of players, Forza2 cars look pretty damn realistic; not laughably bad.

So the Damage thing being stoped by manifacturers is highly improbably.

I saw a movie of Forza 2 damage and it was laughable. But we all think different, so don't keep going on this one. Keep the thread about GT5p.

If you're trying to market a car in real life, you wouldn't want to do this. You try to sell it as a reliable and safe car, not a car to joyride until a huge crash (sometimes fatal or at least one that causes severe injury) occurs. Who wants to market a car in a game as a crash-happy jalopy?

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but VW has actually taken that same approach in order to show how safe their cars are with their "Safe Happens" commercials recently, showing everyday people cruising around until the unexpected happens where the car gets side swiped by another vehicle. I feel that by doing this, by showing that accidents do happen when you least expect them to, and how the car can wreck but still save your life is a very confident way to market your vehicle, not just with crash safety ratings.

Same stuff really - 40 cars, Suzuka + new tracks, release aiming for just before Tokyo Motor Show. Only thing I thought was worthy was the fact Kaz says it's at 70%.

Well, yeah. I almost forgot about the Volkswagen commercials. But even then, it's still a matter of crash safety. The drivers of the VW cars weren't driving like jackasses or driving like it's a Burnout event. So the reason why I didn't mention those commercials was because there were no incidents of terrible and reckless driving. So I didn't include them. The note that accidents do happen is a perfectly fine thing to showcase. But there's a difference between accidents and intentional reckless driving. Accident means you didn't force it. Reckless driving means you intentionally want to damage your car or someone else's car.

As a different side of this issue, there's almost no real need to hate on a game for not having damage simply because a problem in platform limitation or manufacturer dissent. Perhaps PD could try to work a better agreement with certain car makes as well as trying to come up with a sizable damage model to make damage happen. Again, I'm not extremely happy or hopeful of damage. I do think they want to get it as right as possible. Maybe PD will need to think further about damage with GT6. Indication still needs to be made regarding a good damage model. It's granted that we get some sort of damage model, even if it's just visual or physical. NFS: High Stakes had the sort of damage options in which you could choose between full damage, visual-only damage, and physical-only damage. A physical-only model would work pretty well if you can't allow full damage to all cars. PD's done physical damage with GT1 (and GT2?). It could be possible to somewhat limit damage to physical only. This is good if you don't have a decent damage model to work with. People are going to complain about no full-damage, but this at least gives you some leeway in regards to messing up cars internally. Only hint of visible damage is if your car has a custom rear wing, and it goes off of your car.

That would be my issue on this deal. Anyone else want to key in on this issue?

I think the GT series is the only series not doing Car Damage at this point. Its more of an engine/platform limitation/design choice in time constrains then it is a manifacturer's choice... They don't seem to be bothered with cars being completely destructible in Dirt or Forza2.
It's very much the manufacturers, DiRT has fully destructable cars, and you can rip them up pretty impressively. However, DiRT features absolutely zero production cars. The cars in Forza2 can be damaged to a crawl, but physically, they cona only lose their bumpres and rear wings and their body scratches and dents. Unlike DiRT, the crashes in Forza 2 will never result in a lost wheel, a roll over, the subframe being crumpled in any way, the A and B pillars being kinked, the doors coming off etc. Why? Because Forza2 does feature Production cars. Manufacturers have a huge say in the matter. Ofcourse, PD could offer damage on a similar level to Forza 2, they may lose some content doing that in terms of manufacturers that don't even want that done to the cars (yes there are some) but I don't think that's what they're aiming for.

Personally, I'd rather a low level of body damamge but a decent mechanical damage system, than no damage at all.

PD's done physical damage with GT1 (and GT2?)
To my knowledge, I think there was only mechanical damage in GT2 as I've tested it and it was a huge pain in the bum. For instance, you hit the wall with the right side of your car, you would have a hard time on the straightaway. GT has had damage, just not where we could see it.

It wasn't proper damamge in GT2, it was just wheel damage, as you took knockes your wheels would lose allignment, that's all GT2's did. Proper mechanical damage would be brilliant for adding tension into races.

I think the GT series is the only series not doing Car Damage at this point. Its more of an engine/platform limitation/design choice in time constrains then it is a manifacturer's choice... They don't seem to be bothered with cars being completely destructible in Dirt or Forza2.

Dirt required a Rally Racing Board license, not independent manufacturers.
Forza 2's damage is also far from being completely indestructible. A Manufacturer will only allow damage so far, and Forza 2 is a great example of how many restrictions a manufacturer will put on the license.

Problem is, Kaz. won't settle for those limitations which leads him being incapable of including damage.

As a small note, you all refer to it as mechanical damage. I do mean mechanical when I say "physical" damage.

DiRT has fully destructable cars, and you can rip them up pretty impressively.
DiRT cars are not quite "fully destructable". While they do allow extensive damage in the crumple zones, the cabin must remain intact (although the doors can open). It is still some of the best damage I've seen in a console game.

Cheers,

MasterGT

DiRT cars are not quite "fully destructable". While they do allow extensive damage in the crumple zones, the cabin must remain intact (although the doors can open). It is still some of the best damage I've seen in a console game.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Have you seen better in a PC game?

No, but he is right they arn't fully destructable. Manufacturers and race organisers limit things even for race cars, just not nearly as strciktl yas they do for production road cars.

Just a sidestep: I would love to see someone create a widget out of the clock design that PD will introduce in GT5!

Every car lover would love such a desktop clock....

Attachments

• gt clock.JPG
    gt clock.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 63
A download has appeared at the PS3 store, my guess it is the video we saw weeks-ago but I am going to download it to be sure, 11% so far....

Apparently Car & Driver Mag has a new interview with Kaz were he says the Full GT5 will be out in Japan July '08 and he would like to work on an F1 game.

Who did end up getting the F1 licsence anyway?

Apparently Car & Driver Mag has a new interview with Kaz were he says the Full GT5 will be out in Japan July '08 and he would like to work on an F1 game.

Haha, you can bet if PD did an F1 game, Honda would be the fastest cars and Ferrari and Mclaren would be slugging it out behind super aguri. :lol:

I believe Sony did.

Originally Posted by Mr P510

What issue of Car and Driver is this?

First post!!

Back