Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Indeed, it makes it look way more realistic. Now when i look at GT4 screens they don't look good anymore. A HD game with the old wheels would look weird i think.

Agreed, this is something that I have been waiting for since GT3! I am happy with the work they have done on it!

Thanks for the heads-up, The Gran Finale. Here is my little notebook on what IGN (I usually call them IGNore since I'm not a real fan of their stuff):

<<< = areas I'm interested in

* debut of Ferrari
* yet to nail Porsche and Lamborghini
* Gran Turismo and Tourist Trophy all into one GT? <<<
* first GT with online (even with the LAN of GT4)
* full voice options
* PlayStation Home integration?
* My Page? (joked it's more like a Myspace page deal)
* customizable home with world locations and buildings <<<
* friends list?
* Event Calendar <<<
* D-Pad useable for looking left and right <<<
* 1080p at 60 fps? <<<
* online play test bed
* GT4 Prologue more of License Tests; GT5 Prologue to be different.
* Prologue credits can carry into GT5 <<<
* Spring 2008 release?

I'll end it here for now. I'll comment at will in a future post.

did anyone notice this on the car list?:
2002 Xanavi 350Z

How in the world can you get the date wrong on this car? its 06, not 02. I may sound like a jerk saying this, but I hate seeing sites like that get stuff as simple as that wrong more then once wrong. On the positive side though, I'm very intrigued about the voice chat they mentioned.

did anyone notice this on the car list?:
2002 Xanavi 350Z

How in the world can you get the date wrong on this car? its 06, not 02. I may sound like a jerk saying this, but I hate seeing sites like that get stuff as simple as that wrong more then once wrong. On the positive side though, I'm very intrigued about the voice chat they mentioned.

they did mention on top of the list "(note that the model year may not be 100% accurate)"

But set 2002 on that one is a little too wrong I guess.

EDIT:

I just looked at the IGN page for GT4 Prologue... and Oh my god! I'm speechless!

Names like Subaru Impressa, Honda Fiat and Nissan Sylvia appeared on the list.

they did mention on top of the list "(note that the model year may not be 100% accurate)"

But set 2002 on that one is a little too wrong I guess.

I did just notice that. Thing is though I would have understood if it was some of the road cars, but race cars(most notably Super GT cars) Are very easy to tell apart by years and I just can't see with all the radical body work it has how they got that mixed up.

New Pictures:

img_4801554.html

img_4801560.html

And if you can't see those, here's the links:

Picture 1

Picture 2

I found these two to be the most awesome pics I've spotted as they give an even better look at how much real world racing detail is being put into this game.

I believe there's a couple magazine articles that reveal GT5 won't start out with 700 cars out of the box.

Such as Kaz in Car & Driver?

He talked about how long it took to make cars for GT1 being one day per person per car, GT3 was 30 days per person per car, and GT5 is 180 days per person per car. He said it would be fewer than GT4 the same way GT3 was fewer than GT2, but that GT5 would have downloadable content for new cars.

I don't remember if it was that specific interview but I think I recall hearing something like 350 to start. But I don't know where I heard that or if it was just rumor that stuck in my head. So, don't quote that part, but the above info was from the Car & Driver interview.

Here's the Joystiq posting on it.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/yamauchi-reveals-gt5-details-to-car-and-driver/

And the part I am talking about says
joystiq
  • Programming detailed car models on the PS3 is a ridiculously time-consuming process. "For Gran Turismo 1, one car was one day's work for one man," Yamauchi said. "For GT3, one car was one man's work for 30 days. For GT5, one car is one man's work for 180 days."
  • Since programming 700 new cars for GT5 would take the Polyphony team five years, the game will launch with what the article calls a "a much smaller collection," with downloadable updates to follow. This seems to somewhat confirm earlier rumors of a focus on downloadable content for the GT series.

The problem is, I a not going to pay 100's of quid to buy more cars for the game, It wouldn't surprise me if sony are trying turn on of there largest franchise into a cashcow? why it already makes millions for them.

So the question is, what would you pay for extra cars? for me the answer is very little indeed but I am sure there are people out there who will dump loads of money into it.

My other question is do you think that downloading these extra cars is going to cost massive amounts or do you think sony will scale down what they intended for GTHD?

The problem is, I a not going to pay 100's of quid to buy more cars for the game, It wouldn't surprise me if sony are trying turn on of there largest franchise into a cashcow? why it already makes millions for them.

So the question is, what would you pay for extra cars? for me the answer is very little indeed but I am sure there are people out there who will dump loads of money into it.

My other question is do you think that downloading these extra cars is going to cost massive amounts or do you think sony will scale down what they intended for GTHD?

All good questions.

You don't want to pay for downloadable content, but you have a free online service. I think it balances out.

As for cost, I have no clue, but I doubt it will be too much. I have yet to see an outrageously priced update to any game. Map packs and the like are around $2.99. Plus, you can pick and choose which cars you want and I won't have to hear all the complaints that say, "I hate the 5 bagillion Skylines and old cars. I want the Lamborghini Super Dooper Space car!!!!11!!!one!!"

Still even $2.99 for a mp in a game is ridiculously overpriced when you do the maths. Let's say a track in GT5 costs the same, that means that 10 tracks will set you back almost $30, just 10 tracks.

Compared to the average cost per item you get included in a game on the disk, I'm yet to see a pay download that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

Still even $2.99 for a mp in a game is ridiculously overpriced when you do the maths. Let's say a track in GT5 costs the same, that means that 10 tracks will set you back almost $30, just 10 tracks.

Compared to the average cost per item you get included in a game on the disk, I'm yet to see a pay download that isn't ridiculously overpriced.
Well, if we are comparing tracks to maps then a map pack is three maps, so a buck a map.

But no matter how you do it it will cost more than the individual item on a disc.

I don't like it, but I can accept it. What are you going to do, go to the other games that don't do it? They all do it now.

i'm just really looking foward to seeing what all cars and tracks will be up for download. most of the tracks should be real curcuits.

The closest thing I've heard to prices is $1 for cars, and $2-3 for tracks, but that doesn't seem very likely with all the time it takes to model the cars.

I woudlnt mind paying more for tracks. I really would love a lot more real world tracks/locations created for teh game. not to mention the prevoius tracks from all GT games. I feel those should be included by default out of the bag! But i'll forgive them if they simply create features etc and leave the simple "just a matter of more man hours" content after its released so we can play it while they create more content.

You imagine a new released on PSN user voted race track every month? How awesome would that be!

I still would like for PD to provide as many cars as possible. Don't make it so that you're required to go online and get more material. Have as many available to please even the most discriminating GT gamer. I'm willing to say that 300 (despite the length it takes to get these cars working great) is pretty safe. If they can do 500, it's a great number. 700 cars is highly unlikely, especially if you're trying to get a game in time. Let's say PD has 80 people working on cars and takes three months for all 80 to complete, and if there was a Summer 2008 release, you're probably looking at 160 cars plus the 40 possible from GT5 Prologue. So that adds up to 200 if this were the case. My deal regarding car counts is that I'd hate to see the same few cars appear in every last race. Look at GT1's (approx) 150 cars. Wouldn't you be a bit sick of the same sort of cars over and over again in certain races? Somewhere in the range of 300 to 500 is very safe. Past 500? All the merrier. I'm probably scheming a 2009 or late 2008 (think Christmas) release. Using the same example... if PD were looking for a Holiday 2008 release of GT5 with the same variables, you could add 80 to the 160 to make 240 available cars, or even 280 with any cars other than the ones expected to be in GT5 Prologue.

Something tells me that 300 will probably be the most we'll see for a final release not counting downloadable cars. Reason being is because I'm thinking that PD will reallow Racing Modifications and perhaps some body customization as well. I'm not as well educated about what a Blu-Ray disc can hold in terms of all kinds of modifications and features, but something tells me there will be a noticable limit as to how many cars and features PD can cram into GT5 and make it very fun. Also consider the notion of damage to race cars. That will take more time to try to allow a damage model that works extremely well both visually and physically. I am hopeful of a lot of race cars to accompany the production, tuner, and concept cars. Don't make it a GT3 in terms of a game that feels very limited. A goal of 500 cars would be great for this transition from PS2 to PS3. People usually complain of too many cars. I usually say you can never have too many cars. Thing is, YOU DON'T HAVE TO RACE ALL OF THEM! I just collect cars in GT4 to unlock in Arcade Mode. There are a lot of cars you won't even have to use. The key to all of this is that there has to be enough cars, but not to a point where you see some of the same reoccuring cars in races. Unless PD can find ways to get more cars done in shorter amounts of time, then we're probably looking at 300 at best.

Now let me highlight on some of the issues I've noted from my last post.

* GT and TT in one package?
A number of people didn't like Tourist Trophy. You know... four bikes to a track on the GT4 engine. May have been better off as some sort of GT concept with motorcycles. PD probably thinks that Tourist Trophy shouldn't be its own seperate franchise. I really hope Tourist Trophy can continue on to impress motorcycle racing fans. Look at it like this. Kazunori Yamauchi didn't think GT would be a success in 1997 or so. Look where we are 10 years later. It would be a dumb idea to combine motorcycles with cars. I'd rather two different games two appeal to two different tastes.

* customizable home
I would love to see some sort of location to resemble Houston. Maybe make my home like I'm on the top level of the parking lot at The Galleria (Houston's mega mall with three hotels and all kinds of other stores and stuff). Maybe the parking lot of Reliant Stadium. Perhaps even around Tranquility Park, around the Waterwall, or some other cool place to park. I've love to see some sort of resemblance of Houston.

* events calendar
This may be a true sign of maturation for GT if this is not only for online play. Imagine being able to do whatever you please throughout the week, then go racing on the weekends. There may even be some races held during weekdays. I can best think of mostly some of the dirt track racers here in America who'll run a number of races on dirt ovals for a number of races. I'm reminded of Enthusia in regards to race events each month for about four weeks. It would be a great touch for some sort of Career Mode. Probably wouldn't be good if you've prepared all year just to race for one certain race event... that doesn't come around again until next year. Or maybe it comes every other year. Then think about all the championships that wind their way through the year. Perhaps even some official test sections.

* 1080i at 60 frames per second?
I don't own a flat-screen TV with HD capabilities. So I'm not real sure about what this provides. If they can do it, great. If not, I'm not hating.

* Prologue credits carry into GT5
Want to save up to purchase some bigtime LMP race car or every last Ferrari? This is your chance. I want to start clean for EVERY GT5. Never played a GT game by transferring info from an earlier title to the new one. I want to experience every license test. Each GT is a new experience. So start clean. I'm not wanting to win credits early so I have a balance working. Just give me the usual 10K credits as I go from nobody to superstar.

And that would be all.

Yeah thats exactly the amount of cars i was guessing to. around the 300 mark would not only be 'ok' but also plausable considering the work load. I feel the same as you however.. the more the better. But i also think on top of this that the more the better... provided it doesnt prohibit GT5's growing into the game it should have been maturing into a realease (or even two) ago re: feature wise.

joystiq
  • Programming detailed car models on the PS3 is a ridiculously time-consuming process. "For Gran Turismo 1, one car was one day's work for one man," Yamauchi said. "For GT3, one car was one man's work for 30 days. For GT5, one car is one man's work for 180 days."
  • Since programming 700 new cars for GT5 would take the Polyphony team five years, the game will launch with what the article calls a "a much smaller collection," with downloadable updates to follow. This seems to somewhat confirm earlier rumors of a focus on downloadable content for the GT series.

That doesn´t actually tell you anything does it? It would not take PD 5 years to model 700 cars, since it`s not one man doing it. And we don´t know how long GT5 has been in the works either, do we?
I do understand that it takes a lot of time and effort to model the cars, so all the cars from GT4 will probably not be there, allthough IIRC Kaz himself said they would all be there in some interview (don´t qoute me on that! The interview is posted somewhere in these forums, but I don´t know how credibel it is), but I for one am not willing to make any claims on the number of cars featured in GT5.

PD had about 90 employees for making GT4 and now have about 120 employees. Not all of them would be designing cars, of course, but it shows they are responding to work loads when needed.

Cheers,

MasterGT

On the note of buying cars online, I would be willing to pay for batches of cars, e.g 30 cars for say $5.

If it is more than that, then I can say without doubt, that I won't buy any.

Track, again, buying multiple tracks, or complexes for me is only worth it if they come in big quanities. I don't want to buy individually it allows them to charge more for cars.

Yep, I recall the people saying they didn't mind paying 50p for a car back when GT:HD Classic was being talked about andit's microtransactions. Oddly some didn't seem to be bothered that to buy just what was in GT4 would have cost over 400 pounds.

I would prefer to not have batches, and only buy individual cars if it came to that. A batch is likely to contain cars I have no interest in, and paying for something you don´t want is rather...:dunce:

I seem to remember having read somewhere here that Kaz wanted to have special one-off cars up for grabs (or down for load...) aswell. What do you think about that?

Personally, I think that is bollocks. Let´s say the Ferrari Enzo comes as such a download, or you have to win it online, and only one will exist on someones PS3. Not fair! OK if someone wins it for free, but atleast let the rest of us be able to buy it!

Wasnt it already said some were that there wont be cars or tracks to purchase from the store? I remember it from an interview with KY.

100th post :P

I would prefer to not have batches, and only buy individual cars if it came to that. A batch is likely to contain cars I have no interest in, and paying for something you don´t want is rather...:dunce:
I agree. That's why I never bought any of the car packs for TDU, because each batch only contained one car that I'd ever want to drive. When you're spending the money for only one car, it suddenly seems a lot more expensive.

I'd like to see a "make your own car pack" option. They can have a hundred cars up for download, and you can either buy them individually, or put together five or ten for a discount, and you can pick which five or ten you want out of that list of a hundred.

Back