Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
GT4's motto was "The Drive of Your Life." So GT5's motto looks to be "The New Standard." PD will have to make GT5 to really live up to its motto for this title. GT5P will give us loads of impressions, but the real meat isn't in store until GT5 is released. You folks in Leipzig are probably in for a treat. Rest of us are going to wait.

GT4's motto was "The Drive of Your Life." So GT5's motto looks to be "The New Standard." PD will have to make GT5 to really live up to its motto for this title. GT5P will give us loads of impressions, but the real meat isn't in store until GT5 is released. You folks in Leipzig are probably in for a treat. Rest of us are going to wait.
As far as I am concerned GT4 met its motto, because it is fun to just drive around by yourself, to the point that I barely progress through the game.

If something about GT5 makes it a new standard I will be happy. I want to see Kaz and PD throw down the gauntlet and say, "Beat that!"

I dissagree with that, GT4 was only actually fun for me when I was collecting cars and doing little else, the driving aspect was horrible imo. They got the tyres far too wrong for me to be able to enjoy it, the way your cars grip changes is awful.

I dissagree with that, GT4 was only actually fun for me when I was collecting cars and doing little else, the driving aspect was horrible imo. They got the tyres far too wrong for me to be able to enjoy it, the way your cars grip changes is awful.
Not trying to start a debate on whether it was good or not. Just stating that for me it met its goal as I spend hours cruising around the Ring and Trial Mountain sometimes.

Oh ofcourse, likewise, for every opinion you or I have someone else thinks otherwise.

I really, really, really want PD to nail thoes tyre physics though, it's the most frustrating thing about GT4 for me. GT4 could have been awesome for me if they got that right, or at least more right than they did.

Oh ofcourse, likewise, for every opinion you or I have someone else thinks otherwise.

I really, really, really want PD to nail thoes tyre physics though, it's the most frustrating thing about GT4 for me. GT4 could have been awesome for me if they got that right, or at least more right than they did.

Yes I agree, apparently gt5p with have a regular gt mode and then a "proffesional" mode which is "supposed" to simulate exact car behavior or something. I'm praying that pro mode will offer correct simulation physics to back those graphics, hopefully something of this will surface at the leipzig show.

I really don’t want to get into an argument with anyone but it’s kind of annoying listening to people that keep saying Prologue (either 4 or 5 – and even Concept for that matter) are just demos and a way for PD to get our money. They are more complete games than many so called complete games out there – surely a lot more fun than most other games (and GT5 P even more so from what we hear).
Also, if PD were only concerned with the financial side of it we would be into GT10 by now ( a few new JGTC cars, a couple of new tracks, the EA way!).
I’m not saying all GT instalments are perfect games – nor that they all are of equal importance, and I don’t want to sound like a fun boy – but come on! (Take something like the BMW demo – that’s a demo alright and yet I don’t know how many hours of absolute pleasure it gave me!)
GT Concept and GT4 Prologue (especially with MK’s garage editor and/or codes) only aren’t/weren’t seen as full games because of PD’s very high standards that keep them from calling it a full game unless it’s got close to 200 cars and 20 or more tracks.
From the looks of it GT5 Prologue will be a proper game and I’m pretty sure it will last me a year or whatever time it takes for the next one to be out.

RUI

lol, will gt5:P have incar view? Sorry it will probably have been answered but i don't have the time to read through 50 pages at the moment

lol, will gt5:P have incar view? Sorry it will probably have been answered but i don't have the time to read through 50 pages at the moment
Yeah, GT5 will include a incar view. Hope that answers your question.

RUI
I really don’t want to get into an argument with anyone but it’s kind of annoying listening to people that keep saying Prologue (either 4 or 5 – and even Concept for that matter) are just demos and a way for PD to get our money. They are more complete games than many so called complete games out there – surely a lot more fun than most other games (and GT5 P even more so from what we hear).
Also, if PD were only concerned with the financial side of it we would be into GT10 by now ( a few new JGTC cars, a couple of new tracks, the EA way!).
I think you're missing the point of this "Prologue is just a demo" talk. People keep saying that not to degrade the game, rather than to show that what we're going to see in Prologue only gives us a glimpse of what we're going to see in GT5. And they need to say that because there is a considerable amount of people thinking that what is not in Prologue will not be in GT5, and that the games will look absolutely alike. Therefor, it is important to emphasise that Prologue is "only" a demo and doesn't raise a claim on completeness.

Regards
the Interceptor

I think you're missing the point of this "Prologue is just a demo" talk. People keep saying that not to degrade the game, rather than to show that what we're going to see in Prologue only gives us a glimpse of what we're going to see in GT5. And they need to say that because there is a considerable amount of people thinking that what is not in Prologue will not be in GT5, and that the games will look absolutely alike. Therefor, it is important to emphasise that Prologue is "only" a demo and doesn't raise a claim on completeness.

Regards
the Interceptor

Exactly what he said, people expect the Gran Turismo series to be above everything, and people fail to recognise that Prologue is just an elaborate demo ( which it is ) then understandably they may be dissapointed to see 40 cars in the game, simply because they don't understand what a prologue is or means.

The word tune seems to be passed around quite vaguely? By tune does it mean body wise( ie: body kit, accesories..) or the tuning that we know from past GT series( suspension settings, drivetrain...etc) , cuz I will be pretty damn mad if they remove tuning settings and such..

This person didn't realise, he thought PD are getting rid of tuning. No the real game will still have tuning, but it won't feature in prologue because it is just a demo

Exactly what he said, people expect the Gran Turismo series to be above everything, and people fail to recognise that Prologue is just an elaborate demo ( which it is ) then understandably they may be dissapointed to see 40 cars in the game, simply because they don't understand what a prologue is or means.

This person didn't realise, he thought PD are getting rid of tuning. No the real game will still have tuning, but it won't feature in prologue because it is just a demo

GTHD might be considered a demo but Prologue is NOT a demo. Prologue means beginning shortly described. So it is the beginning of Gran Turismo 5, in other words NOT a demo.

Let's examine the term prologue. That is the pre-chapter 1 chapter in a book.

So Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is to Gran Turismo 5 as Prologue is to Chapter 1. It is the setup for the main story. Prologue will introduce us to what is going to happen in GT5. It is a full-featured game, but it is merely a setup teaser. A prologue chapter is designed to grab you with a past event that vaguely ties into the main story. It does this by presenting its own short story. GT5:P is designed to grab us and say, "You want to play GT5," by being its own short, but full, game.

So aside from some kids that don't read chapter books yet (would they truly understand Gran Turismo?) and Forza fanboys trying to trash GT5:P for what it doesn't have (get a life) there shouldn't be confusion. The term prologue is so friggin' obvious as to what it means. It will be full-featured, but short. It is like being given a food sample at the grocery. It is small and has all the taste of the full product, but just because it is small does not mean it is not food.

So call prologue an introduction, a sample, or whatever, but it is not a demo. A demo is what I downloaded for DiRT, where I get a choice of three cars, each car only has one race it can go into, there is no progression, and my wins/losses are not saved in any form when I exit the game. A demo may not have proper graphics or glitches, and when I win all I get is, "I hope you liked the game. Buy the full version in stores now."

GT5:P will give you 40 cars and 8 tracks. You have to progress and unlock/win/buy the cars, and possibly the tracks. You can go online and race with them. When you win you earn prizes and your progress will be saved and can be moved over into GT5 when it comes out. This is not a demo. This is a prologue, which is much more than a mere demo and will tie into GT5 when it is released.

I have a question for those who had a chance at GT4:P. What was the pricing scale on that compared to the final game? I'm just trying to guess at the possible price.

have a question for those who had a chance at GT4:P. What was the pricing scale on that compared to the final game? I'm just trying to guess at the possible price.

GT4: prologue was a stand-alone game, worth of it's price. It costed me around 30 euros in Croatia, the same as price of earlier GT Concept stand-alone game, which didn't have so much content.

GT4: Prologue offered 5 new tracks and around 40 cars, if I remeber well. However, it offered a nice progression-system with licence-boards which we later saw in rewamped mode in GT4 game. From my POW, GT4:P was totally worth the price.

As for GT5: Prologue, purely the fact of having 4 tracks and 40 cars in "Professional Handling Mode" with online support makes it worth the same price as GT4:P had. I'd pay those 30 quids in the very moment. However, I will have nothing against SCEE to make the price lower :D.

Expect some new info from tomorrow - as Leipzig is coming - and possibly in Thursday I'll have some major game-content-updates. However, still no official word from Sony whatsover, guess they're waiting the GC to start to reveal everything in full..

That's what a University of Kentucky education gets you- the awesome defining of "Prologue" by UK's own- FoolKiller. I'm thinking that "tomorrow" means tomorrow in Germany. I do hope to find some new information on this GT5P deal.

1st impressions straight from the conference fllor.

At 9:00 AM my friends - I'm not there unfortunately - has sneaked into the conf-floor. GT:5P has been prepard, but there are some consoles running it on 1080p Bravias.

Quote from my buddy: "15 opponent cars on track is a magnificant view - it finally feels like what Gran Turismo should be. It's like playing TOCA, only it is GT. Superb".

However, he states there is noticable slow-down in frame rate of the game. Have to see is it just replay or in-game too.

Also, we talked about the "Dual Shock 3" controller - since Dengeki published it yesterday he didn't know about it. Curiosity: controller he holded in his hands had some sticker on it. But since it was not playable - they'll let them play when floor open - he couldn't confirm has the controller have rumble.

More info to come.

UPDATE #1 VIDEO OF IN-CAR DRIVING:

http://www.jeux-france.com/news21453_gc-video-gran-turismo-5-prologue.html

Great thing about different perspective of controlling the car if driving left-right side. Dials. Shadows. Lightning. Also, when yellow Lancer goes off-track, it looks like the driver has been influenced by "your" pressing. Intresting. However, guy who drives the Audi - some lousy driving there, though :D. Also notice the behaviour of dials when he's reversing - there is no more crazy revving there..

Also, there is no interiour view for GT-R, and strangely - the rearview-mirror is missing from the bumper view..

Thanks CSSer!

Was getting tired of waiting for the other one to stream...

2nd race (Skyline) seams to be missing in-car view. Player keeps going throu the views but the dash never appears.

In-car view is very good, but I like to drive lefthanded cars in europe version :) But it looks like physical model has still the same "untouchable" opponents as always and problem with framerate is obvious.

The game code is still very raw and they have time to optimize it before october comes.

Thanks for the heads-up amar212.

I was very excited when I first heard that GT5 will have interior views, however after seeing it in action I don't quite know what to make of it. Sure the interior itself looks great, and I like the lighting effects, but I think it's just something I must get used to. I generally like using interior views in games that provide it, but after playing GT1 through to GT4 using the bumper cam I will just have to adapt to playing GT with an interior view.

Something I noticed right away, the drivers' hand doesn't let go of the wheel to change gear, I hope that is something that will be fixed for GT5.

Anyone notice right at the first corner after the restart the R33 diving down the inside of the Evo? Promising indeed. In fact watch the R33 he charges ahead and takes the Merc on the outside also.

Thanks for video. Let's hope steering angle goes from 180 degrees to 900 in in-car-view when using DFP or G25. Best thing would be if all the cars had data for dfp(or g25) to know what is appropriate steering angle. You dont want to drive F1 with 900 degrees or normal car with 180.

Back