Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Something I noticed right away, the drivers' hand doesn't let go of the wheel to change gear, I hope that is something that will be fixed for GT5.
Well there's this evil thing called automatic and basically changes the gears for you. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but you'll have to trust me on this one! :dopey:

It's an information said by words 5 minutes ago by David Reeves of SCE and Kazunori Yamauchi of PD on the showfloor of Leipzig Game Conference in front of 2000 journalists.

Have internet or just trust us :D.

Ah...I didn't mean it to sound like you had to prove something. I just want to get in on all the fun. I trust you and your information.

Well there's this evil thing called automatic and basically changes the gears for you. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but you'll have to trust me on this one! :dopey:

They didn't get the shifting correct in TT so it is possible that they may overlook some small details.

Wow, I'm impressed with what See in this game(Though I could have drove better then the person was). Finally, the AI looks like its actually worthy racing against. If this kind of racing can happen with these Road cars, Think what would happen when your racing the race cars. Imagine you driving the Bandai Direzza SC430 and your battling against the Xanavi Nismo Z for the lead and at the same time, you've got the ARTA NSX trying to pass you too, all while you going through tight, twisty esses of Suzuka. Now thats racing:)

Besides... at least for me, the last thing I'm going to care about is hand movement graphics for changing gears. Next thing you know there will be an online petition on demanding accurate graphics for showing the driver's hand changing gears for each type of gear shift layout for each car... and of course accurate graphics for changing gears in a car with paddle shifters... oh and accurate graphics showing the driver adjusting the rearview mirror. ;)

I guess it's a good sign though when something as minor and purely aesthetic as showing the driver changing gears is a noteworthy issue, as that must mean all the critical elements to having a realistic driving game are taken care of...?

Well if that video showed is normal mode, then i'm not saying anything, as it's not supposed to be more realistic, but, if that was professional mode then oh my how GT1-4 of them. The same old bumper car lacking any realistic collision physics was STILL there. I saw quite a few 90-120+ mph impacts to rear quarters and some sideways sliding but not the expected spin out.
Yes i know it's work in progress.
Yes i also very much hope that was normal mode. Otherwise nice little vid showing off the in car view, i also hope someoe who CAN drive well gets a hold of said demo and we see just how good the racing can look. I did like the shadowing inside the car when it rotated around the track and hit the dash. Also noticed that the mirrors somehow have a remove car from field of view option turned on in them as they are unusable. Hopefully that will be corrected as well.
Thanks for the info folk, keep up the good work.

on't think you can tell anything much from that video, exept that the people driving wern't driving very well at all.

Am I understanding correctly that this video is of some dude playing GT5P for the first time in the middle of a noisy, crowded convention center?

Give the guy a break! :rolleyes:

Someone thought that the whole screen wasn´t filmed in that video. I agree. Look at the pic below. Don´t you think the whole track is supposed to be shown?

w quite a few 90-120+ mph impacts to rear quarters and some sideways sliding but not the expected spin out.

I assume it is KPH & not MPH. However, I would agree about the spin out. At one point the driver nudges the rear of the yellow car in front (Lancer?) which I would say would spin it around IRL...

yep, the video is cut off. Here's a pic that shows the left side.

gt5_zomg.jpg

Gamersyde will have a video tomorrow.

Hmm according to Gamespot there are 2 demos setup. The first one which we probably saw was the networked setup where you were racing against AI and other players and a normal Single Player AI race where unfortunately they say the AI is still crap.

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/granturismo5prologue/news.html?sid=6177157

This article implies something else - probably only 8 LIVE players will be availlable in online, with other 8 cars being AI - which corresponds with earlier notes of GT5:P actually having 8 players online. It equals 16 cars, it is 16 cars in online, still it is not 16 players online. Words... So important..

Let's hope my friends in Leipzig will jump-on the Kaz tommorow for all the info we ever wanted to know about both GT5:P and GT5.

The bumper cars scenario is still there, but if you look closer, you can see the new physics ARE the penalty. The new physics show the player having a harder time than in any other GT game, recovering after bumping the AI. Sure, the AI kind of moves off, but you do become affected more severly.

I think the one thing I liked was def. the AI. The yellow Lancer was not bumped, but in a way, "scared" off his line and made a mistake. I esp. liked the battle between the Ferrari and the R8 and how each of them were willing to go off the track to fight.

Honestly, the new physics and AI seen here are FAR more important than damage to me. I can't possibly wait to really drive the Nordschliefe in a Yellowbird in cockpit view now!

EDIT* 20 members and 20 guests! GTP Record!?

This article implies something else - probably only 8 LIVE players will be availlable in online, with other 8 cars being AI - which corresponds with earlier notes of GT5:P actually having 8 players online. It equals 16 cars, it is 16 cars in online, still it is not 16 players online. Words... So important..
Let's hope my friends in Leipzig will jump-on the Kaz tommorow for all the info we ever wanted to know about both GT5:P and GT5.

That doesn't surprise me. Polyphony has always been known for choosing a way of saying something without actually saying it. It keeps them in the clear for later in case something doesn't happen.

yep, the video is cut off. Here's a pic that shows the left side.

Gamersyde will have a video tomorrow.

Blim - if that is you - thank you for this pic, and all of us are looking forward for the vid. If you people from Gamersyde could film the booth with 8 players in LAN, it would be more then welcomed.

The yellow Lancer was not bumped, but in a way, "scared" off his line and made a mistake.

I'm looking at the first encounter with the Yellow Lancer at the left hairpin: it is hard to tell if there is contact, however...

I assume it is KPH & not MPH. However, I would agree about the spin out. At one point the driver nudges the rear of the yellow car in front (Lancer?) which I would say would spin it around IRL...

Be careful what you wish for

If that nudge of the AI spins him out, that also means when an AI car nudges you guess what, you get spun out as well. By a small simple nudge. How exciting will it be to get spun everytime you get 'nudged'?

Brake too early too hard anything and your spun out

If you want that type of ultra realism go play a PC sim. It's never going to happen on a console

I'm looking at the first encounter with the Yellow Lancer at the left hairpin: it is hard to tell if there is contact, however...

I'm referring to the part where the Lancer went off. Even if there was contact, it was not enough to push the Lancer all the way into the gravel.

AI mistakes are something I like to see.

Hmm according to Gamespot there are 2 demos setup. The first one which we probably saw was the networked setup where you were racing against AI and other players and a normal Single Player AI race where unfortunately they say the AI is still crap.

I think the video we saw was a single-player demo. He messes up at the start and resets the race. I don't think that would happen in a multi-player setup.

The last clip in the GT-R could be multi-player (the camera angle changes, so they may have stopped recording and moved elsewhere), but that's only the last minute or so of the footage.

I'm referring to the part where the Lancer went off. Even if there was contact, it was not enough to push the Lancer all the way into the gravel.

AI mistakes are something I like to see.

I thought that was what you were referring to. That reaction, if it not just a programmed "setpiece" is promising.

Be careful what you wish for

If that nudge of the AI spins him out, that also means when an AI car nudges you guess what, you get spun out as well. By a small simple nudge. How exciting will it be to get spun everytime you get 'nudged'?

Brake too early too hard anything and your spun out

If you want that type of ultra realism go play a PC sim. It's never going to happen on a console

I have no problem with that - that would be similar to the way Forza is set up - difficult, but not impossible, as long as the AI is not reckless in its driving & respects basic racing etiquette. It's not a matter of spinning out with every nudge - it depends on where the contact occurs. Contact at an angle with the rear wheels is going to cause a spin out, howevr.

I think the one contact I thought was pretty impressive was the R33. Don't know why, but it impressed me that as soon as the R33 took off out of the turn, the player suddenly had to regain control. You could really see the player pretty much "riding" the rear bumper of the Skyline, but suddenly lose it when the contact was gone.

It's nothing amazing, but kind of neat in its own right.

Here is the most intresting pic so far, direct form the conference floor.

It speaks for itself. London Track, Eiger and Suzuka so far. 2 to come. So, London City Track is offcial. British pals, you've finaly made it. It took 10 years, but it was worth the wait.

Also, it clearly says "Online Battles with 16 persons". So, it is 16 persons, not just 16 players. Way to go PD - obviusely for Prologue. November release? In PAL? Clearly so. Great.

1080p 60fps for race, 30 fps for replay - but picture says it too. Whatever :) What intrests me is "40% Done" in the very top pf the pic. What is 40% done? Prologue? GT5? Who will know at this point..

Logitech Wheel Support is expected though.

DSC00834.JPG

Might be a dumb question, but can someone explain why the reply must be 30fps? It does this in Forza 2 as well, but I can't understand why...? I don't see any noticable difference between racing and replays graphics-wise (unless I'm blind?).

I think GT5: Prologue will be downloadable!!!!

I just downloaded a Playstation network games trailer

It starts off and says "great exclusive games available for download from the PSN"

than it says "action packed games"

And then it says Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and shows footage of it! along with other download able PSN games like wipeout HD, PAIN, high velocity bowling, caling all cars etc

I notice the side rear view mirror in the in-car shots. It seems to work, but only halfway. It picks up the edge of the track/rumble strips, but does not seem to show cars that are coming up on your side.

I assume this is a Work in Progress for PD.

Note that under "features", the picture also says: "totally new physics engine with real next-generation car handling". Forget about the marketing slang, but we definitely get new physics.

Back